Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

On 4/16/2024 at 3:34 PM, edinmass said:

Last week in Massachusetts it was snowing in the morning, and took the 1917 White out for a spin in 33 degree weather. Started right up and ran fine.......

Ed,

I thought you were against accessory lights on antique cars.?   Or is that just on other peoples cars?

On 4/16/2024 at 3:34 PM, edinmass said:

IMG_5507.png

• Haha 2

Paul.....thats a car with 11k and unmolested. The lights are removable with one bolt, and are modern halogen bulbs to see at night. I actually drive my cars........and safe lights at night are a MUST. I also installed dual brake lights that are LED that also remove with one bolt. ( Car never had brake lights, just one running light.) So I can drive on and off the show field without needing a crazy amount of tools. They were on the car because we were doing a tour at night in Florida. I practice what I preach. None of my other cars have any extra lights or accessories..........

Scan copy.jpeg

• Like 9

Take the yellow lights off and toss them in the trash. 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

Ship them to me...

AJ….the gentleman wants the terrible yellow driving lights. I just took two spot lights of a Model J Duesenberg that was a Pebble Beach Best of Show winner ………available for very reasonable money.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

AJ….the gentleman wants the terrible yellow driving lights. I just took two spot lights of a Model J Duesenberg that was a Pebble Beach Best of Show winner ………available for very reasonable money.

Eddie, you know if it was up to me they would already be in the trash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Along with the whitewalls?

The whitewalls are tougher because all Cord 810/812s were delivered new with them.  I probably would go with blackwalls just because, but not original in this case.   99% of the time a car with whitewalls now was not delivered that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The whitewalls are tougher because all Cord 810/812s were delivered new with them.  I probably would go with blackwalls just because, but not original in this case.   99% of the time a car with whitewalls now was not delivered that way.

The Indianapolis test cars were on blackwalls. May be your loophole. Just saying.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, edinmass said:

Paul.....thats a car with 11k and unmolested. The lights are removable with one bolt, and are modern halogen bulbs to see at night. I actually drive my cars........and safe lights at night are a MUST. I also installed dual brake lights that are LED that also remove with one bolt. ( Car never had brake lights, just one running light.) So I can drive on and off the show field without needing a crazy amount of tools. They were on the car because we were doing a tour at night in Florida. I practice what I preach. None of my other cars have any extra lights or accessories..........

Scan copy.jpeg

I agree and noticed the white walls on the White pictured.   Glad to see you enjoying the White as it was intended.

I get some flack for all my lights too, but in the Smoky Mountains we need them.   It's not smoke, it's clouds & fog

on crooked dark roads.  Lights are purposeful accessories.

Springflowers.jpg.569f626ccdb06fbf6afa448ed080ab69.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Went to in a completely different world today with a Phantom II.   Probably twice as heavy as the Cord and the build quality might be 3x the Cord.   While the Cord is easy to handle and relatively nimble with 288 cubes,  the RR is big and more like a locomotive with 468 cubes.   Had this discussion with a friend the other day that was comparing a PII to a late 30s V8 Caddy.   Two completely different animals and you need to appreciate each for what they are.   The Caddy is much easier to drive and handle,  while the RR is a moving piece of artwork that requires some practice to drive.

Beautiful day although we were supposed to have overcast and showers.  That never happened.  Did about 10 miles.  We have about 1/2 mile hill which touches 20% on the grade and is great for testing.   Last time out it struggled in 4th and this time with cleaned plugs it chugged right up.

IMG_4698.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 12

Got the 356 back from the shop with fresh carbs and a rebuilt shift linkage. It's just joyous to drive. A major change from the big Lincoln V12--Porsche has like 80 lb-ft. of torque and is happiest above 3000 RPM. Keep it spinning and it just sings.

20240510_161340.jpg.073b539a56b7e315d03ef92cd7d812d2.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

completely different animals and you need to appreciate each for what they are

Well stated!  there are a lot of opinions by "experts" who banter on and on but have they really spent any time behind the wheel of a car they are going on about? I mean 4 plus hours of driving on assorted roads including highways with modern cars and in all assorted weather ? Many time I have driven a 1931 era car for 4 plus hours in heavy rain for most of that up and down long grades - it is when you really get to know the car and your ability. All keeping in mind that the car was built to 1931 standards of that day and not to compare it with the computer generated /created whiz bang vehicles of today. Have respect for the car and the era it was created in and proceed accordingly.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Well stated!  there are a lot of opinions by "experts" who banter on and on but have they really spent any time behind the wheel of a car they are going on about? I mean 4 plus hours of driving on assorted roads including highways with modern cars and in all assorted weather ? Many time I have driven a 1931 era car for 4 plus hours in heavy rain for most of that up and down long grades - it is when you really get to know the car and your ability. All keeping in mind that the car was built to 1931 standards of that day and not to compare it with the computer generated /created whiz bang vehicles of today. Have respect for the car and the era it was created in and proceed accordingly.

I have told many customers that they have to drive the car in the context that it was created. If you do this, you will have an enjoyable experience. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Walt G said:

AAhha Walt.  a 1931 is a new car.  My wife and I have driven our 1913 Buick & 1915 Buick truck for hours in rain from everything from a drizzle to a down pour.  That is really experiencing the car as designed and driven in the day.

This was during a tour last month.

thumbnail (3).jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 9

Fun day driving a piece of heavy iron. The rain was in the JN Duesenberg roadster. The morning sunrise is a V-16.

IMG_5841.jpeg

IMG_5907.jpeg

• Like 12

Those pics in the rain certainly dont look like a great day for a ride😬 At least in Ed's case the rains usually dont last that long in SFLA! 

I wont purposely go out in the rain but if I get caught then oh well! My car has been wet and it wont melt. I was at a show a few years ago and made up my mind I was leaving at noon. So the time came and out the door I went. Just as I was about to leave the show field a down pour hit. One would have that that bug spray had been applied to the ant colony!! Guys could not get in there cars and leave fast enough. It was almost comical. Funny thing was it was only a brief shower that lasted about 10 minutes. I felt like a total geek leading the parade, but like I said I had planned on leaving.

1 minute ago, Walt G said:

SO very pleased to see people I know as friends drive their cars in the rain! All good.

The ride to and loading the show field at Hershey last year was fun!!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

TAKerry so you mention Hershey - Geeeeez we still have 5 months to wait before that happens again.

That event is like Christmas to me and birthdays, all the fun holidays - this year will be even better as a friend will be visiting me here at home after the meet and he lives in Brazil.

the seeing in person of friends from many countries, states, etc and attending functions like the SAH dinner at Hershey is what old cars are all about.  It is also an annual justification that there are other crazy people like me out there I can point to and say "see they are here too" .😆

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Not raining, just cool and sunny!  On a cruise of 50+ miles yesterday and stopped at Capp Tavern & Eatery for lunch with the Mrs. in Leroy Ohio.

IMG_20240510_141155606.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

The ride to and loading the show field at Hershey last year was fun!!

Does this recall the experience?  Mr. Marano and son were waiting out the downpour.

'30 Packard 740 - factory prototype a.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Does this recall the experience?  Mr. Marano and son were waiting out the downpour.

'30 Packard 740 - factory prototype a.JPG

My trans am has t tops. Even with the windows up I bet I got wetter inside the car than these fellows did 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great day for an ice cream run. Why not drive there in a classic too. Beautiful day for a drive. Too bad there are some jerks on the road that are not happy driving 50 in a 50 zone, that need to pass in a no passing zone. 

IMG_0630.jpeg

• Like 10

Rain is interesting to navigate in a prewar or brass car, but are there any drivers who have driven through snowfall, on snow-covered roads, on icy roads?

I find that anticipating curves and wintry road conditions are substantially heightened when riding on narrow bias ply tires.

My kids think that 'drifting' is cool, but its not quite the same when unexpectedly drifting in even a solid and stoutly built 30s car vs modern setup - I don't like the fishtail stress on the Buick frame.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of driving in snowfall because I was doing the driving, but its kind of neat and nostalgic to drive a prewar car during a docile snowfall.

Today was a nice sunny May day, took the Buick and used the fancy Wizard control to look at flowers with my wife at the local greenhouse dealer....thankfully no snow in the forecast for quite a few months.

20230207_120534.jpg

20230304_143359.jpg.99763583be7f89da191543b6a5147485.jpg

• Like 8

I hate to sound like a broken record with my motorcycle antics (only because I have logged many more thousands of miles on 2 wheels than 4) but riding a motorcycle in a freak sudden blizzard with 6" of snow on the interstate is not a lot of fun either! Then the excitement of sliding across the metal grate on the Woodrow Wilson bridge (I95 over the Potomac) was icing on the cake. 4 wheels in a car pales in comparison.

• Like 2

Kerry gets the prize but I once led a late October tour as a freshman member of our local Model A club in sleet.  Very little kept these guys home.  We covered 25 or so miles but ended up cutting it short and rode the storm out at the late Al Lepore's (A&L Model A) shop.  Cozy, fun way to warm up as I didn't have a plan B. 😊

• Like 1

My wife is away on a trip with her mother and my boys that are around the house this week have gone drag racing with their one grandfather which left me to my own devices.  Beautiful day with errands to run, and what better car to take than the 66 with the top down

image.jpeg.8b84d13dd0eab6ea630a5febbdb5b693.jpeg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

I've posted this before.  My parents circa 1971 in Buck Hill Falls Penn.

BuckHillFalls1971-4.jpg

Im sure your dad was having a blast, how about your mom, lol?  I could never get my wife to participate in something like that. Anything under 65 and she is frozen!!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Im sure your dad was having a blast, how about your mom, lol?  I could never get my wife to participate in something like that. Anything under 65 and she is frozen!!

Kerry, in 1971 you still drove your car and did not trailer it. The CCCA annual meeting was always in Buck Hill in January. And you would have people driving their  pre-war cars in the middle of the winter to the show.  Now, in all honesty, I actually remember this particular show, my dad rented a big truck, and built a ramp to put this car in the back of it. So he was driving around the show, but he did not drive the 200 miles to the show.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 8:58 PM, 32buick67 said:

Rain is interesting to navigate in a prewar or brass car, but are there any drivers who have driven through snowfall, on snow-covered roads, on icy roads?

More times than I can recall in prewar (+ countless 40's/50's/60's postwar), but never in a brass era cars (I find them interesting, but they're not really built/intended for my kind of driving pleasures and I'm not into "showing" or posing with my cars, so not interested in owning one)

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Needed to get a gas refill for the 38 Cadillac. The local Cadillac dealer has 6 gas pumps to include regular non-ethanol at the front of the dealership which was established in 1923. They run it like an old style gas station from the 50s. An attendant pumps your gas, checks the oil and washes the windshield. Just like the old days!  Too bad the price of gas was not from the 50s, especially when I’m only getting 8 mpg!🤣 Here are some pics from my trip todayIMG_1546.jpeg.ed2da056fac0bf0e050a9c90895a2284.jpegIMG_1547.jpeg.eac71d6c9b0be965f3478e335fc9a7b2.jpegIMG_1545.jpeg.e3ffef49c7b1d8d3980e0ab166d97cfc.jpeg

• Like 7

I drove my Camaro to the local cruise in Saturday and hung out with my friend and his 56 Corvette . Always a good time 😎

IMG_4082.jpeg.e8f4c5365cc74409d935d7f3f6c64fa5.jpeg

time to rotate the Camaro back to the back of the shop and get something else out to play with 🤔

• Like 4