Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Here are some from the box of family photos.  

2024441123_Overlandcar-JamesAsh-800.png.46337c4b911f5e16386984d5fc3feeee.png

My grandfather James driving his first car, ca. 1916 Overland, with my father Ellis in the front passenger seat, my grandmother Addie in the right rear, and another relative I haven't identified yet.

90026958_Onthesummit-Ashfamily-WA-800.png.e55be1226a6bd88e932b8d310f4da13e.png

Some ladies of the family "On the summit", probably Snoqualmie Pass, WA.  Not sure of the car - Mitchell?

111491155_1923FordT-EllisJamesAsh-ca1930-800.png.78501c24921e0219ad3f1d9820099782.png

My father Ellis (left) and my grandfather James with my father's first car, a 1923 Model T roadster.  Looks like a fishing trip, early 1930s.

845313308_WAskitripca1931-800.png.c8630c2cf721fb63f5ec2d6bfc78c82c.png

The picture is labeled as one of my father's ski trips, probably 1930-32, someplace east of Seattle.  Name the cars!

• Like 8

On the 75th anniversary of VE Day it seems appropriate to include a military vehicle. This is a 1941 Ford C11ADF Station Wagon built by Ford Canada for the British War Office for use in the Western Desert. The chassis is modified with truck rear axle, longitudinal rear springs, Mercury engine and LIncoln brakes. 1430 were delivered during the war with survivors being sold as war surplus in the late 1940's. Today just 4 are known to exist. 

Ford wagon 001 (2).jpg

• Like 5

Having viewed every image shown in this great post,  I now know more about these earlier era cars and whilst watching a amazon series 

the begining of everything about Scott Fitzgerald life in the 20s , which includes many vintage cars distant and close up , trying to use my new skills to see if I can identify any , not expecting to recognise any of the obscure makes , but will  be happy spot one of the popular models of the day, none yet but only half way through and determined 😀

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was my first thought Bob as well but a whole bunch of other differences as well.  Can't make out what is going on with the undercarriage and of course the rear body lower section is wrong too.  Looks like it is a delivery vehicle of some type.  The rear brake mechanism is different than a CDO too.   The tire is flat, radiator is missing? and I am wondering if this is a staged photo.  

Howard Coffin in a very, very rare 1907 Oldsmobile Flying Roadster, for those wishing I would add more commentary to my photos here you go! ::) :)

He was born on September 6, 1873 in West Milton, Ohio, and raised there and in Ann Arbor, Michigan during his early years. He studied mechanical engineering at the University of Michigan. It was there that he constructed his first automobile. It was steam-powered, and he used it to deliver the mail around town. He also made use of the university's engineering shop in 1898–99 to build his first internal combustion engine.

Coffin is known in automotive circles as the Father of Standardization, a result of his initiative in standardizing material and design specifications and in arranging for automobile manufacturers to share their patents. These accomplishments enabled the American automobile industry to grow quickly. Upon graduation in 1902, he started working for Oldsmobile as chief experimental engineer, and later as chief engineer. Roy Chapin and he compiled the first comprehensive instruction book for car owners.[2][3]

He then worked for the E. R. Thomas–Detroit Motor Car Company. In early May 1906, he was one of the five founders of what became Chalmers–Detroit Motor Company, as first vice-president.,[4] He served as vice president and chief engineer of Hudson Motor Car Company, designing many of their early models. With new financing thru one of the six principals, the respected department store merchant and bank officer, Joseph L. Hudson, provided much of the capitalization set at $100,000. The first Hudson, Model 20, was built on July 3, 1909.

A millionaire by age 30, Coffin purchased extensive real estate in Georgia such as Sapelo Island, and Sea Island, turning it into a resort. Coffin married Matilda V. Allen of Battle Creek, Michigan in 1907.

When the United States were confronted with World War I, Coffin joined the Naval Construction Board in 1916 and in 1917 became chair of the Aircraft Production Board.[5] After he had resigned under corruption allegations in March, President Wilson appointed John D. Ryan in April 1918 to replace Coffin as head of the board.[6]

He inadvertently killed himself at Sea Island on November 21, 1937, the result of a gunshot wound from his favorite rifle.[7] He and his wife are buried at Christ Church at St. Simons Island, Georgia.

20200509132239795_0001.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Steve, thanks everyone! Guess there are still a few of you who like to look at this kind of stuff.

I have to keep all of you sniffing to see what is here , I just  found another small pile of photographs in my library filed under ?. as in ? to do with so here goes. I have way to many period photographs, and haven't even looked at what to post out of the European periodicals of the era that probably haven't been looked at since they were published. Any who.

Here are two photos taken in 1949 in Massachusetts at the Raceway Garage - who advertised  Custom Racing Equipment . I have no idea of the name of the city it was in. Anyone care to share that information ? Did this car ( no idea of ID number) get saved , restored and become a trailer queen? 😮

AUBURN19361949001.jpg

AUBURN19361949002.jpg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, StanleyRegister said:

1734593989_UnknownwithBhubcap.jpg.4bc53f2642c35bb6e23376e24d4cd6d2.jpg

Happy Mother's Day!

What is this rangy-looking chain-drive tourabout?  I'm pretty sure the B doesn't stand for Buick.

I've seen that photo before, here or another website. I believe we decided it was a Berliet, the French car that supplied parts to build the ALCO in Rhode Island. 

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gentlemen.........you should see the ones I can’t post! I haven’t been given any warning points yet.............🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Margery's Roamer has it all: showy light color, cycle-fenders, step-plates, side-mounts, wire-wheels, whitewall tires, and a polished aluminum hood!   Wonder if it was the four passenger Sport model?  Whichever body style, its the very picture of WW1-era upscale sport luxury and style, even if it was one of those "assembled" cars.  At a glance it would be easily mistaken by most of the public as a Rolls-Royce.   It does have 'a certain insouciance' about it...  

I wrote this when Craig posted a Roamer photo in the Orphan of the Day topic on the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum:

Ahhh, Roamer! It was the prefect early example of a assembled car developed to sell the sizzle rather than the steak. While it's pretentiously styled with a luxury, sporting bent; the prosaic, proprietary powerplant delivered less-than-satisfying performance than their appearance promised. Yet if found currency with the celebrities of the day, not unlike the du Pont.

The advertising was even sillier, naming itself "American's Smartest Car", using tony phrases to describe it such as possessing "a certain insouciance". But it was the frivolous, Roaring Twenties, so it was just exactly in tune with the times.

Margery's Roamer - polished hood - cropped.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Roamer description (see edit history)
  • Like 1