Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

2009-021-187.jpg

License plates? We don't need no stinking license plates!

OK !!! SO now all of you Packard owners have just been made aware of the proper attire to wear with your Packard cars of any year and  the true meaning of "ask the man who owns one"  will be taken even further to authenticity by wearing a sombrero " If he owns one, he wears one". A new 'must do' for Hershey , Pebble Beach, and all of the other concours events - and if you get caught in some rain , well you have it made , problem solved.

WG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes, Joe, I agree. All of us pre war car enthusiasts perhaps don't say much ( with exceptions to that as well!!🤐) but apparently react to seeing period photos of stuff that makes us feel good, no mater what the make, model, year , body style or series. It's All Good.

Walt

• Thanks 2

Not a happy image, but cars were in accidents 'in the era'. photo was part of an exhibit for an inquest in June 1931

low number plate was from NY and the N in the plate would possibly mean Nassau County.

CADV16accident001.jpg

• Like 2

Although I’ve mentioned my appreciation before , that was many pages ago and many great postings , so another thank you to Walt and John and other contributors from me is a must. 

I think these wonderful images posted have probably sub consciously altered  many of our perceptions, created curiosity and found many new admirers of these wonderful pre war and early automobiles .

speaking personally as a 50s era lover with big chrome , sensuous sleek lines , I’m now drooling  over many of the 20s and 30s masterpieces shown with sweeping and majestic lines.

Just to add finally big thanks to John for the amazing Getty images videos , really enjoyed the peak into history .

cheers

pilgrim 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Not a happy image, but cars were in accidents 'in the era'. photo was part of an exhibit for an inquest in June 1931

low number plate was from NY and the N in the plate would possibly mean Nassau County.

CADV16accident001.jpg

I wonder if the fellow driving this car was able to keep his job. 

2 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Although I’ve mentioned my appreciation before , that was many pages ago and many great postings , so another thank you to Walt and John and other contributors from me is a must. 

I think these wonderful images posted have probably sub consciously altered  many of our perceptions, created curiosity and found many new admirers of these wonderful pre war and early automobiles .

speaking personally as a 50s era lover with big chrome , sensuous sleek lines , I’m now drooling  over many of the 20s and 30s masterpieces shown with sweeping and majestic lines.

Just to add finally big thanks to John for the amazing Getty images videos , really enjoyed the peak into history .

cheers

pilgrim 

Thank you , I will also add A. J. SanCle, Bob (1937Hd45) in Ct, Tim( twin six) in Vt., and anyone else who contributed - I did not post many photos everyone , perhaps a dozen at the most. It is the support of my good friends as well as all of you that this is here and still going! I am amazed , truly amazed  at the reception. Thank all of you  ( or thank y'all if you are from the southern section ) . I am so glad that we have this opportunity to view the designs of the cars , from perpendicular jewelry case like designs to aerodynamic wonders here at your finger tips. Even for those of us who have viewed many many pre war designs it is a treat to see so many variations on a theme- it is all about sharing always will be and indeed a pleasure to do so. On to more "used car" photographs!

WG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2020 at 12:14 PM, Matt Harwood said:
On 4/30/2020 at 11:50 AM, John_Mereness said:

image.thumb.png.eb992e6ecb5af66bac91e2cabda4e077.png

Yep, a Full Classic service truck/wrecker is absolutely my next purchase. The scruffier, the better, but mechanically sound. I'm even looking at forlorn, unloved '20s sedans and limousines to perhaps make my own. I can't wait to show up to CCCA events with it and watch everyone get all bent out of shape. A Pierce would be awesome!

There are a couple of Series 51 (dual valve 48s) like this in NorCal and Northern Nevada, but I don't think either one is available.

Hey there Grimy, I remember following Norm around some Nickel Age tours, when he was driving the one he had.  It was very nicely done way back when, very original looking, and impressive. Is that one of the ones you are thinking of?

I had a bunch of photos I had harvested from various sites several years ago. Wish I could share them here at this time. And I have been looking. A computer crash a few years ago lost hundreds of photos I know I had. The weird thing is I have found a few in the most bizarre places on what was recovered from that computer crash. The crash apparently scrambled the file codes and hid pictures and letters in folders they do not belong in. I can clearly see dozens of them in my head, but cannot find a way to download from my head to the computer.

However, following, is one I did find.  I have run into this one in a few places on the web, so if you have seen it before? Too bad. This one is a bit special to me (glad I found it) for the simple reason that there is a mid '10s Pierce Arrow touring car with what appears to be a California top on it! A long-time good friend has a 1916 Pierce Arrow with a California top, in mostly original well maintained condition. I have had the privilege of riding in that car a few times to lunch with friends.

Quite an eclectic bunch of cars in there. An early '20s Cadillac sedan coming towards us,  I believe that is a Maxwell touring car attempting a left turn (nice disc wheels!). One of the other cars appears to be a Dodge Brothers touring car, and of course, a few model Ts. I like the coupe driving away from us.

antique cars street scene.jpg

Edited by wayne sheldon
spotted a typo :( (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Wayne, the fact you tried and found the street scene photo that you did to share with us here is appreciated. and WOW what a fine image it is! Way Cool. Thank you.

Walt

8 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Hey there Grimy, I remember following Norm around some Nickel Age tours, when he was driving the one he had.  It was very nicely done way back when, very original looking, and impressive. Is that one of the ones you are thinking of?

Wayne, the better one of the two is/was (haven't seen it in awhile) owned by Mike in Marin County.  The lesser-condition one was actually, as I now recall, a 1916-17 Series 4, more of a farm truck than a service truck, and which was on the Modoc Tour last year, and had been acquired by a delightful young (30s) couple who seemed to be having the time of their lives.  My friend Schultz (yes, THAT Schultz!) had brought along a vintage hay knife/saw, which he donated to them to display in the bed.

In that wonderful picture you posted, the Pierce seems to me to be a Series 3 (1915) from the beltline, and a 38 hp because the tops of the headlights are higher than the radiator cap.  Do you know what city that is?

Just an idle question here, because I'm noticing all the 'flat fendered" brass era cars are right hand drive, and when you get into the '20's they are left hand drive.

So the question is, when did we change ? was it across the board all at once ? and who said to do so ?

Mike in Colorado

19 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

We need more Steamers in the Snow photos! That may be the first one I've ever seen. Thank you! Bob 

That would be a Maxwell. Maybe a 1908-1910.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Daniels related question, is that a Daniels radiator on this Larry Beals race car, he lived in Philadelphia, so he was close to the factory. Bob 

37BealsC.jpg

I don't think it is a Daniels radiator and shell. if you look at the photo that was posted of the enclosed Daniels 2 door the top area of the radiator at the front has a flat edge close to the radiator core the one on the Beals car does not.

• Thanks 1