Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

12 hours ago, Walt G said:

I know the location - it is the Paris Salon/motor show but what is the make of car?

RACEcar,foreignunknown001.jpg

Hi Walt,

my hunch was right. It's a 1926 Panhard Razor Blade - Prototype Parade No 267

Seems there was a write up in Model Cars magazine March, 1968 about it. Two of them were made to 

compete. 

More on Pinterest:

21 RACERS - PANHARD RAZOR ideas | racer, cyclekart, antique cars (pinterest.com)

Just a car guy blog has the full article and more photos if anyone is interested.

Just A Car Guy: Panhard "Razor Blade" 1926

w32t32.JPG

image.png.38cf7168a9a8dce0d6eae396b0a4179e.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Hyman had J-365 for sale at Hershey a few years ago.  It has been modified in a few different ways and the color is horrible but it still cool.   I believe it went to Europe.

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/5777-1933-duesenberg-model-j-franay-sunroof-berline/

https://hymanltd.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/5777-1.jpg

Another car that if fitted back to the way it was when displayed when new ( full tire covers and fender skirts) you would then see the car the way it was presented by the designers/builders. Not what was/is "trendy" now. Also I totally agree , the color is something akin to a Popsicle on a summers day.

Edited by Walt G
mispell (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I would say yes, that swoopy fastback Renault is a photo from back in the day. Renault built some absolutely huge long wheelbase cars. Most never survived WWII , Reinastella and Nervastella were the longer/larger one and Vivastella and Monastella the smaller versions. The "stella" stood for star, and their elaborate color sales literature they issued is as spectacular as the cars. My current story/project I am finishing up now is about these and other cars at the European Motor Shows pre WWII era.  If I stay off this thread and stop looking long enough to ever get it finished!

Walt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the information but the sites will not load without attaching information to my computer, and since it is all explained in French which I do not read well or speak I can not down load it.

On 3/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, John_Mereness said:

Pinterest of all places ?

a58306581e95194368b639fa430ae316.jpg.a9acd333b81ff1832bc20b87190e21ad.jpg

That was last weeks ride in Texas. Through the windshield. Just finished cleaning it up today..........32 hours after 1000 miles.

8173178A-43F6-4B11-A0AD-CCAEA6B44302.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/5/2021 at 9:22 AM, coachJC said:

From the MTFCA site. Not sure what make of car.

unknown car1.jpeg

unknown car2.jpeg

Believe it or not, there almost certainly is a model T Ford hidden under that after-market kit car! About fifty companies offered after-market bodies, kits, and even turn-key complete cars for the Ford chassis in the late 1910s to mid 1920s. This one I suspect is a Bub kit, or turn-key completed car. There are a couple others that it could have been , however the Bub had a distinctive look almost unique to themselves. Polished aluminum hoods and that radiator shell was part of that look. The narrow cycle fenders were also a part of it on many of their cars. The bodies were higher quality than most, and kits or cars could be ordered in a wide variety of options. Morton and Brett/Speedway built some very similar bodies, and were much more common than the Bub bodies were. However, the wheels, fenders hood and radiator combination was almost a trademark of the Bub cars.

By the way, the wheels are Disteel wheels, notable by their three hub bolts. Disteel was one of dozens of companies manufacturing after-market wheels for Ford's model T. They also supplied heavier wheels for non-Fords, both after-market and OEM for automobile manufacturers.

Speedsters in general, and model T speedsters in particular were a major part of automotive history. Although the majority of them were crude home-built jobs that never got finished, there were thousands of high quality customs built and completed. Many of them driven extensively during their day.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 3/4/2021 at 6:40 AM, John_Mereness said:

Renault

9e9415b641cf03e9dc209ab55fc24c5e.png

I had always thought the Silver Arrow one of the most beautiful cars ever built, but this one gives it a good run for the money. It almost looks like a hot rod built by one of the famous/infamous builders you see on tv for something to be shown at SEMA.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 7:20 PM, Walt G said:

Renault 45 HP Reinastella ( note the star just above the emblem on the hood) The Reinastella was the largest series Renault made, there were three other series/models available on shorter wheelbases with smaller capacity engines.  . Car dates from ca. 1929 but photo was taken in Maine in 1937. Note the Marchal headlamps . Absolutely huge cars that you never see in person, even in Europe. Most of the larger Renaults that were imported to the USA were sold out of their New York City sales showroom and came in minus coachwork. Were fitted with bodies built here in the USA. Another story that needs to be told with period images and photographs to record the connection of Renault in the USA prior to WWII- I have all the period sales literature, instruction book, and photographs to do that . The big Renaults were like ocean liners on wheels.........

RENAULTmaine1937001.jpg

This car belongs to the last series of Renault’s 45hp, with straight-six (9 liters) engine, type NM. Although it actually shows the star on the hood, it does not belong to the Reinastella family. Reinastella will come one year later, with a 7 liter straight-eight brand new engine.

Edited by Fossoyeur (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2021 at 10:34 AM, coachJC said:

cord.jpg

I recall seeing this picture in a '30's Life magazine.  The purpose was to create a draft in order for the rider to set a bicycle sped record.  I think that about 107 mph was attained if memory serves. The car is a sc '37 Cord 812, capable of doing that speed.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 8:16 PM, TAKerry said:

I had always thought the Silver Arrow one of the most beautiful cars ever built, but this one gives it a good run for the money. It almost looks like a hot rod built by one of the famous/infamous builders you see on tv for something to be shown at SEMA.

Interesting you should say that in regard to both the Silver Arrow and SEMA. Here's a Silver Arrow being prepared for a SEMA display.

IMG_4099_Original.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Joe West said:

Here are a couple of images from today’s Wall Street Journal.

C36387E7-32A9-4657-AF5B-BAA7314E291D.png

FE087EF0-72B2-4857-9184-EF0C300869B4.png

That second photo gets posted a lot and it has always looked fake to me.  Walter Thornton was a male model in NY in the late 20s early 30s known for posing with cars.  Not a rich investor.

Times_Herald_Tue__Aug_26__1930_.jpg

This photo of what appears to be a '30 or '31 Model A Ford shows the car with solid wheels rather than steel spoke wheels.  Also the right rear wheel looks different than the right front wheel.  Are these wheels an option or after market replacements?  Considering how dirty the vehicle is, paint appears to be scuffed and dinged, yet hard-to-come-by money at the time was used to replace the wheels and tires.  ?  Those tires definitely are not the type that came on a Ford.

Gas Station 065  1941 Superior Wis.jpg