Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Wow, what is the story on this car's windshield and top?  I have never seen anything like that on a car.  It kind of reminds me of a homebrew "snowmobile" that we smashed into the front of a Mack truck back in 1961.  It didn't ruin the '37 Ford flathead V-8 but it sure totaled out our home made cab.

Oakland.jpg

Accessory stores for car stuff were very popular, most issuing catalogs the thickness of a telephone book/directory ( if most here recall what a telephone book was!) and there were all kinds of after market "contraptions" to put on your car to make it more comfortable. This looks like it may fall into the store bought and installed category then the backyard fixit installation. Even car companies/manufacturers would offer up the strangest stuff for a few extra $.

In the early 1930s there was even a device that you filled with cigarettes that if you pressed a button would automatically move a cigarette, light it and pop it out so you could then take it without loosing focus while driving. No I didn't make that up . 🙃

• Like 3

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

I've always wanted an amusement park car.   When I was 12 it made sense.  I don't know why I still have an infatuation with them.    I would LOVE this one.

AmusementCar-2.jpg

AmusementCar-1.jpg

The next step was this, the Rytecraft Scootacar built in England in the 1930s.  The early ones were powered by the Villiers Midget engine - a 98 cc single cylinder two stroke usually seen on lawn mowers and some scooters.  One keen person drove theirs around the world.

Rytecraft - Wikipedia

How about I toss this one out here. The model T on the viewer's right, is a fairly rare 1911 torpedo roadster, a one year offering with fenders, hood, steering column and a dozen other parts unique to this one year and this and the also one year only "open roadster" models. The car in the middle is a N/R/S series, but I can't quite make out which of the three models it is (it is not a 1908-only S roadster). The non-Ford on viewer's left? I don't know with any certainty. My immediate reaction is that it may be a Peerless. They had a radiator shell very similar to that for a few years then.

1911TtorpedowNRSandunknown.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

There were certain cars in the mid to late 30s that just did not do the sidemounts the right way.  This Packard included.

Packard120.jpg

I don't think those are factory sidemounts - that looks like a 6 cylinder 115C.  Packard didn't offer sidemounts on the six because the shorter wheelbase didn't leave enough room in front of the door when mounted at a normal height

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

I don't think those are factory sidemounts - that looks like a 6 cylinder 115C.  Packard didn't offer sidemounts on the six because the shorter wheelbase didn't leave enough room in front of the door when mounted at a normal height

This coupe is a 1935 Packard 120 identified by the plain front bumper with the single center bar, rear-hinged doors and the raised center hubcaps, though those hubcaps carried over for 1936.  The major change was the door hinges were changed to the front for 1936, as well as a different style bumpers with two bumper guards.  They also redesigned the side-mount hardware and placement so they don't stick up so high and ungainly as they did for 1935.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

So many , surely they wouldn’t miss one , please 😊

I can smell the gas leaking while the photo was taken, 94 years later. Listen closely, and you can hear the straight cut gears clash when shifting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting photo of the Mercedes 290.  The photo was taken at sometime after February 17, 1934.  The man is German Army enlisted, and probably is the driver assigned to the vehicle.  The German military did not institute a Driver Proficiency Badge until 23 October 1942, and there is no such badge on the man in the photo.  The German National Emblem, an embroidered eagle, on his right breast shows his uniform regulations are based on the revised uniform standard for insignia, but his uniform blouse is the older 8-button model, not the newer 5-buttom type instituted in 1936.  The Mercedes probably was the transportation for a general officer.  There is a small flag staff for a pennant on the right fender.

Mercedes290CabB.jpg.6eb2aebf059a71053b6dbe50bfc2f082.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, twin6 said:

A different Ed, I'm sure.

Eds-Roadster-2.jpg

That would make it a “special”.........or as we say around here...........”Special Ed’s Roadster.” Sure wish I could claim it as mine..........late twin six chopped custom? Well done for the time. 

2 hours ago, twin6 said:

A different Ed, I'm sure.

Eds-Roadster-2.jpg

Body could very well be by Don Lee of California who did a lot of this type of coach work in that era. I have a sales catalog that Don Lee issued of their creations, listing owners , showing current examples etc. here in my library someplace. 

It was rare for a coach builder to mention who customers were and their location but Brunn did so on a regular basis in a simple folder. These are great to pin point who, what, where when and see the cars as built not overloaded with accessories like so many of the restored cars now have to reflect the nature of their current owners.

I will be quiet for a while, trying to get a major story, with period photos finished on pre WWII European Motor Shows . It just never ends, to much stuff.....

Walt

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, alsancle said:

I'm not a brass guy but I would be OK owning this one.  😀

HalladayRoadster.jpg

Anyone know what this is ?  Similar but not quite the same as the factory bodywork my Staver Chicago project would have had when it was new.

Greg

11 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Anyone know what this is ?  Similar but not quite the same as the factory bodywork my Staver Chicago project would have had when it was new.

Greg

It appears to have an "H" on the hub cap.

1 hour ago, LCK81403 said:

IMHO Lady Bird Johnson did us wrong when she had fences put up around interesting scenes like this.

Junkyard 007.jpg

Junkyard 008.jpg

Bottom picture definitely not an American junk yard.  It is a breaker's yard somewhere in Old Blighty.

• Like 1