Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

31 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Anyone have a photo of this REO when new ?  This is a 1932 Dietrich Bodied Sedan and was referred to at the time as a "Victoria" and was displayed at "Reo Motor Car Company" showroom  in New York at Broadway and 54th Street .

1932-Reo-Royale-Photograph-ca8535 | Retro cars, Rolls royce ...

A period photo of this drawing would do the trick.

image.jpeg.e610103d67e98c12931d47da11590f3a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4aced95c6e4ad112f8c5d755c0d57096.jpeg

Pole sitting was a short-lived fad in the '20s, and related fads followed. And I have seen a lot of children, quite a few adults, sometimes three or four people, and even more than a few racy photos sitting on the hood back in the '20s! But I think this is the first time I have seen a ballerina "toe" sitting on a radiator cap!

Time to listen to "Swan Lake".

8 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

Interesting sidemount (I think?)

Father Devine was an interesting guy,  but maybe not having the greatest sense of esthetics in car design.   Considered the largest Duesenberg ever built the spokes are reinforced because they kept snapping.

Now his house on the other hand was fantastic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodmont_(Gladwyne,_Pennsylvania)

Woodmont (Gladwyne, Pennsylvania) - Wikipedia

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 1:47 PM, John_Mereness said:

1937 Duesenberg Model J a – Myn Transport Blog

Father Divine's Duesenberg Bus!  When custom coach-building goes hideously wrong!  Bohmann & Schwartz turned out some attractive custom coach-work but this car was their worst!

4 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Father Divine's Duesenberg Bus!  When custom coach-building goes hideously wrong!  Bohmann & Schwartz turned out some attractive custom coach-work but this car was their worst!

Bohmann & Schwartz have been accused of all the sins on the calander.............and they were guilty. I would say they did more damage than good in most of the restyling...............they made a few interesting one off's, but I would argue the clean simple design of a Murphy disappearing top outclasses about 98 percent of everything else they modified or built from scratch. I'm sure others will disagree......

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Here's a photo of it from 1989:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/50686-orphan-of-the-day-03-10-1937-duesenberg-model-j

Craig

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Bohmann & Schwartz have been accused of all the sins on the calander.............and they were guilty. I would say they did more damage than good in most of the restyling...............they made a few interesting one off's, but I would argue the clean simple design of a Murphy disappearing top outclasses about 98 percent of everything else they modified or built from scratch. I'm sure others will disagree......

The "Bo Jangles" modifications were ok,  and the scratch built cars were pretty good.   But the "updates' were awful as a general rule.   I'm sure they were doing whatever they needed to do to stay in business.

• Like 2

Re Bohmann & Schwartz - "the customer is always right" can come into play as well. If a customer wants something their way on a car they are paying for you do your best as a designer/artist to translate their desire into a acceptable ( sort of) accomplishment. It was especially true once the stock market crash of 1929 hit. Customers who had the $ got what they wanted or went elsewhere. I am not justifying some of the awkward looking cars that were built both in fender and body line. I always look at what was crafted/built from the perspective of what was it like economically at the time? where was the body/car made - what part of the country? In what country? etc etc. From today's collectors/investors perspective we judge what was done going on a century ago. Both aesthetically and mechanically ( " darn great cars but didn't stop worth a damn" - well perhaps in 1930 standards at the speeds traveled it stopped much better then expected if judged against other 1930 cars)

A.J. states it very well in his last sentence.

As a local historian for our villages history I have to forever keep that in mind when I view structures , what is considered beautiful , majestic architecture , has been torn down 40 years ago and replaced by some more modern glass, aluminum and concrete building ( no I won't say monstrosity) to meet the need of the time. I started 40 years ago an Architectural Review Board here in the village I reside in , and many times at many meetings owners of property would get outraged that they were not allowed to change windows , doors, colors to suit their needs and taste.  If the new changes would not compliment the design ( huge modern bay picture windows on a Victorian era house) we denied them a permit to make the change. I quite often would get some people who submitted plans severely mad at me ( I am being kind in the way I stated that) for not allowing the changes on a vote by the members of the Review Board . Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but some people's vision is so much better then others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I don't believe that man knows how to fix a car...

He does know how to comb his hair and wear new coveralls. 

He's drilling out a broken grease zerk. Doesn't everyone use a brace and bit for that?????

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2020 at 7:43 AM, twin6 said:

A couple early ones someone might be able to ID (I can't!).

A.jpg

B.jpg

Regarding the upper one of these - quote from my info source - "This is a photographer's prop car as we have other pictures of car with different people in it. Looks similar to Ceirano, Corre and Fouillaron,and a Renault. Fuillaroin and Corre were joint directors of a company making quads but also selling Renaults. Multiple rows/louvres, offset crank handle, so is a circa 1900 Corre-Fouillaron 3.5HP Voiturette.

7 minutes ago, twin6 said:

nd310.jpg

ND is a Manchester. UK, plate series which began in March 1923 and went through to March 1925. I think this is a late production Silver Ghost - probably from 1923, although maybe that body took a while to build and it was registered in early 1924(?).

1 minute ago, nzcarnerd said:

ND is a Manchester. UK, plate series which began in March 1923 and went through to March 1925. I think this is a late production Silver Ghost - probably from 1923, although maybe that body took a while to build and it was registered in early 1924(?).

And it appears the flying lady is 90 degrees off her normal perch...

On 6/12/2020 at 12:01 PM, nzcarnerd said:

Has to be later than 1922. Maybe that info was for another - 3 litre - car.

More on this one from page 208 - which began life as an early 3 litre car - "A vehicle with a checkered past started life as a 1922 Bentley 3 Litre Sports, different registration, and still in use today. Bit of a 'Bitsa', chassis number 54 was a competition hill climb car in 1920s. Photo when it had a 4.5 engine and Sunbeam body used by City of Chichester Auxiliary Fire Service during World War II; - previously in use by Sussex  Home Guard  as the "Panzer-wage

13 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Regarding the upper one of these - quote from my info source - "This is a photographer's prop car as we have other pictures of car with different people in it. Looks similar to Ceirano, Corre and Fouillaron,and a Renault. Fuillaroin and Corre were joint directors of a company making quads but also selling Renaults. Multiple rows/louvres, offset crank handle, so is a circa 1900 Corre-Fouillaron 3.5HP Voiturette.

Quite a copycat although. I must confess that the twin rows of louvers in front of the bonnet gave me doubts.

As a photographer's prop it make sense not beeing a Renault, as they were early on quite popular in their native France. The factory in Billancount produced not enought to satisfy the export market.

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

23 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The driver's front fender looks a lot like a humped back whale. Not pretty! I have seen this car in person a couple times.  It actually is worse in the flesh. In my opinion,  this is actually a flattering shot of the car.

36 minutes ago, ericmac said:

The driver's front fender looks a lot like a humped back whale. Not pretty! I have seen this car in person a couple times.  It actually is worse in the flesh. In my opinion,  this is actually a flattering shot of the car.

I didn't know there were any flattering views of that unfortunate Duesenberg...  I recall a straight on front view which reveals how the body widens from the cowl like buses in the era did.  The tall overall height, cut-off sausage rear body, heavily rounded window openings and 'humpback whale' side-mount covers all told make this the hands-down worst body any Duesenberg was saddled with.  Wouldn't you know it, many of the gorgeous one-off custom bodies have been lost, but this atrocity survives.