Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

8 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Bombay Photo Images[ Mumbai]: TIGER HUNT 1930'S[APING THE BRITISH ...

That’s a great photo John typifies what we perceive  of the life and style of the Maharajahs , extremely rich and collectors of fine things including great automobiles. Think it was easier to repatriate British cars as returning diplomats  probably could ship during and end of British Rule 

OK a few more period photographs - found these in a stack of photographs that I never placed in my new library/study area but was going to - 10 years ago! the stack is about 18 inches high- nice to see some of the photos I haven't seen in a while, and No I won't post all of them here as to do so would give our great moderators and our equally great AACA CEO a panic attack. I am sure there is a photo/image allowance for the service that AACA uses to host the Forums and no doubt this thread has totally blown that away some weeks, perhaps months ago 😯 and a lot of the dues we annually pay have disappeared to let you see this!
Anyway what you see here:

A White tour bus loaded with quite a few kids aboard , can anyone imagine how heavy that spare tire and rim is?

Ford V8 beer truck from 1932-33??

River crossing on a barge , I do not know the location , and no it does not remind me of the Blue Hershey flea market field from some years ago. ( Blue filed is where the roller coasters are now).

carsonbargeon water001.jpg

FordV8TURCKbeer001.jpg

WHITEsightseeingbus001.jpg

Edited by Walt G
correction (see edit history)

The photo of the Saxon-Duplex with the one horsepower spare engine in the body got me to looking in my Saxon file.  Floyd Clymer published a 1923 Saxon-Duplex Blackstone touring car in his Motor Scrapbook Number 8, page 186.  

Saxon.jpg

23 Saxon-Duplex Blackstone touring Clymer Scrapbook Nr8 p186.JPG

• Like 1

The Automatic Electric delivery vehicle is interesting and is the first I have seen.  A photo of a 1921 Automatic Electric clearly shows how small the vehicle was; smaller than a modern golf cart.

Automatic Electric.jpg

21 Automatic Electric.jpg

Help with this photo will be appreciated.  Somehow I have "Picard" attached to this photo, maybe identifying the car as such.  I have searched the WWW but can not find a Picard brand name auto.  Is the auto in the photo a U.S. or European vehicle?  There was a "Pickard" automobile but it went defunct in 1912.

Picard.jpg

6 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Help with this photo will be appreciated.  Somehow I have "Picard" attached to this photo, maybe identifying the car as such.  I have searched the WWW but can not find a Picard brand name auto.  Is the auto in the photo a U.S. or European vehicle?  There was a "Pickard" automobile but it went defunct in 1912.

Picard.jpg

It's a Panhard-Levassor with body by Gaston Grummer, the lady is Nadine Picard. Once again Parc des Princes, the event is 1927 Concours d'Elegance.

• Like 6

One more thing that is  interesting about the photograph of the Panhard-Levassor was the current fashion statement in the late 1920's to use snakeskin upholstery. In N.Y. City and for the USA distributorship it was Alpina water snake that was used for the "hides" to upholster the seats and door panels. This was advertised in the custom body salon souvenir catalogs in the USA and written up in articles at the time . Perhaps the lady's coat was made of the same material. The fad did not last long, perhaps one season then slithered away due to lack of interest. 

More obscure automotive information to start your day off! only found here on the AACA Forums .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Casper and Walt, thank you for the information about the Panhard-Levassor.  I see this thread as being about learning as well as nice photos.  I had not known about snake skin upholstery in cars and possibly women's coats.  It is interesting that snake skin was considered a luxury item.  During the American Civil War the Confederate military had a shortage of leather (cattle) and they resorted manufacturing saddles and boots from alligator.  Imagine that, today's luxury alligator products were then used for boots and saddles.  Having lived in Arizona and now in southwestern Colorado, snakes (poisonous) are not viewed as luxury.

27 Panhard-Levassor.jpg

• Like 1

Here you go folks ( read the following with the voice of actor Joe Pesci in mind) " OK OK OK, so who thought you would go to the AACA to learn about Snakeskin??? "  and 90+ year old snakeskin at that !

this advertisement is from the 1928 Custom Automobile Salon program held in San Francisco

ALPINAsnakeskinad1928001.jpg

• Like 2

Speaking of Snake skin upholstery, the dual cowl Hispano-Suiza phaeton at the 1927 Paris Motor Show imediately comes to my mind. It was built for prince Mousouros? by Bourack & de Costier and was one of the most expensive cars at that year's show.

1927 Paris (2).jpg

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Like 2