Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

a 31 to 33 Auburn Speedster that went to Muroc dry lake at least twice, and was clocked at 93 mph

01+Cigar+Desert.jpg
 the license plate is a 1940
02+Boattail.jpg

03+Muroc+Rest.jpg
 On Muroc in 1938, and April 1940
05+Muroc+2.jpg

08+Black+Passenger+&+Mom.jpg

10+Great+Western+Ethyl.jpg
Found by the Motor Life Blog, aka the Reservatory, who posts photos found in scrap books etc etc. This is one incredible find! http://reservatory6.blogspot.ca/2012/07/auburn-speedster-muroc-dry-lakes-route.html

17 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

A photo taken in the 1950's ? 

1935 PIERCE-ARROW MODEL 1245 COUPE
CHASSIS NO. 3120047
ENGINE NO. 405094
BODY NO. 338-C-106

Bonhams : 1935 Pierce-Arrow Model 1245 CoupeChassis no ...

Runs and drive great today.......AJ almost owned it last summer..........deal fell apart. Still owned by a friend who is sometimes on the forum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Doozer said:

Was this car in CT in the 70s ?

No, west coast from new to 2010.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

According to the note on the back, the older gentleman standing in front of the DuPont is Mr. DuPont himself. The photo was taken by Chapin Waldor at a very early car meet somewhere in the greater Boston area, probably around 1947. The Bugatti is pretty good too!

image.jpeg

George Weaver’s Type 51 Bugatti (chassis 51132) then powered by a Peerless marine engine.

• Like 1

Heres couple more from a stash of 8x10 prints from the previous owner of my '39 1705 Packard. Most look like factory shots. 

Edit: these prints probably came from the Eastern Packard Club as indicated by water marks on some of the prints. Hope I'm not stepping on anyones parade putting them up here.img001.jpg

img002.jpg

Edited by JimKB1MCV
source of images (see edit history)

2 hours ago, JimKB1MCV said:

Heres couple more from a stash of 8x10 prints from the previous owner of my '39 1705 Packard. Most look like factory shots.

img001.jpg

img002.jpg

Probably photos from the late 1960's through 1970' or so  - The Phaeton had Denman tires on it (I am not sure when they became available, but most seem to be late 1960's or newer) and also has turn signals (while turn signals have been around a long time, you rarely see them on photos of 20's and 30's cars prior to WWII.  It is hard to tell but the 1941, but my guess is about the same time. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Franklin D. Roosevelt inauguration. Automobile with Roosevelts at White House, Washington, D.C.[Franklin D. Roosevelt inauguration. Automobile with Roosevelts at White House, Washington, D.C.]

Ed-

I always thought that FDR's '33 Pierce was a 1247 LeBaron Conv Sedan, but this pic shows only two door hinges, meaning it's a 1242, and probably a 7-p touring. 

1 hour ago, Bob Jacobsen said:

Ed-

I always thought that FDR's '33 Pierce was a 1247 LeBaron Conv Sedan, but this pic shows only two door hinges, meaning it's a 1242, and probably a 7-p touring. 

Defiantly not a convertible sedan. In 32 & 33 they leased seven and nine cars respectively. They were all factory bodied cars.......no way Pierce would lease each car for one dollar per year and let it have a coach built body. Some were factory one off’s, and others were standard bodies with special accessories. Every time I see him in a Pierce Arrow that’s pre 1936, it seems he is in a different car, or they were updating the cars often........which is certainly possible. There were two full time people involved in the cars and the contracts. One in Buffalo and the other in DC. My educated guess is the car is a 1247 in the photo. I wouldn’t go by the door hinge count......one would need to scale a very clear photo to prove it. Also......I have never seen a Pierce seven passenger touring on anything but a long chassis.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Defiantly not a convertible sedan. In 32 & 33 they leased seven and nine cars respectively. They were all factory bodied cars.......no way Pierce would lease each car for one dollar per year and let it have a coach built body. Some were factory one off’s, and others were standard bodies with special accessories. Every time I see him in a Pierce Arrow that’s pre 1936, it seems he is in a different car, or they were updating the cars often........which is certainly possible. There were two full time people involved in the cars and the contracts. One in Buffalo and the other in DC. My educated guess is the car is a 1247 in the photo. I wouldn’t go by the door hinge count......one would need to scale a very clear photo to prove it. Also......I have never seen a Pierce seven passenger touring on anything but a long chassis.

Here's a closer view.

FDR inauguration  '33 P-A 1247 touring at White House.jpg

18 minutes ago, Casper Friederich said:

"La Coquette" an Austro-Daimler bodied by Armbruster of Vienna for Richard von Stern. Painted in yellow and black, must have been very fashionable in 1912!

1592307140873_Armbruster la Coquette.jpg

Armbruster made some seriously attractive bodies on the Austro Damiler chassis.

COACHBUILD.com • View topic - Armbruster Austro Daimler

The Porsche Museum Exhibits The Austro Daimler “Bergmeister”

• Like 1

While looking at the pictures of the Auburn boat tail speedster on page 215.  I am reminded of an early 30's boat tail Auburn that I used to see parked in a car port.  Off of Highway 441 (Orange Blossom Trail), Orlando, Fla.  This was back in the mid to late 60's when I was in high school.  The owner was a Mr. Reeves, who owned the Kenworth truck dealership on west Highway 50.  It was a 4 car carport and at anyone time you would also see big black Pierce-Arrow sedans parked next to the boat tail.   A knowledgeable source at the time told me that Mr. Reeves had all most 600 Pierce-Arrow cars stashed in various warehouses spread over central Florida.   I was also told that the Auburn boat tail had been re-engined with a diesel motor by Mr. Reeves.🤨

Capt. Harley😉

On 6/12/2020 at 1:17 PM, John_Mereness said:

What is this Car (or it could be a Ambulance/Hearse) ?

No photo description available.

It finally hit me what make this was: 1929-'30 Viking V8, Oldsmobile's Companion Car, with a mono-block V8 engine three years before the Ford V8.  If it was white, its a good likelihood it as an ambulance.  White was considered appropriate for only milk trucks and ambulances then...also a child's hearse.