Jump to content

Period images to relieve some of the stress


Recommended Posts

a 31 to 33 Auburn Speedster that went to Muroc dry lake at least twice, and was clocked at 93 mph

 
01+Cigar+Desert.jpg
 the license plate is a 1940
02+Boattail.jpg
 
03+Muroc+Rest.jpg
 On Muroc in 1938, and April 1940
05+Muroc+2.jpg
 
08+Black+Passenger+&+Mom.jpg
 
10+Great+Western+Ethyl.jpg
Found by the Motor Life Blog, aka the Reservatory, who posts photos found in scrap books etc etc. This is one incredible find! http://reservatory6.blogspot.ca/2012/07/auburn-speedster-muroc-dry-lakes-route.html
Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the note on the back, the older gentleman standing in front of the DuPont is Mr. DuPont himself. The photo was taken by Chapin Waldor at a very early car meet somewhere in the greater Boston area, probably around 1947. The Bugatti is pretty good too!

 

59c88d28744e5_BugtattiDuPont.thumb.jpg.e6816fd89f217a331a8dea9b1e44284f.jpg

image.jpeg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

A photo taken in the 1950's ? 

1935 PIERCE-ARROW MODEL 1245 COUPE
CHASSIS NO. 3120047
ENGINE NO. 405094
BODY NO. 338-C-106

Bonhams : 1935 Pierce-Arrow Model 1245 CoupeChassis no ...

 

 

Runs and drive great today.......AJ almost owned it last summer..........deal fell apart. Still owned by a friend who is sometimes on the forum. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doozer said:

Was this car in CT in the 70s ?

 

 

No, west coast from new to 2010.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

According to the note on the back, the older gentleman standing in front of the DuPont is Mr. DuPont himself. The photo was taken by Chapin Waldor at a very early car meet somewhere in the greater Boston area, probably around 1947. The Bugatti is pretty good too!

 

 

image.jpeg

 

George Weaver’s Type 51 Bugatti (chassis 51132) then powered by a Peerless marine engine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

   Heres couple more from a stash of 8x10 prints from the previous owner of my '39 1705 Packard. Most look like factory shots. 

   Edit: these prints probably came from the Eastern Packard Club as indicated by water marks on some of the prints. Hope I'm not stepping on anyones parade putting them up here.img001.jpg

img002.jpg

Edited by JimKB1MCV
source of images (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JimKB1MCV said:

Heres couple more from a stash of 8x10 prints from the previous owner of my '39 1705 Packard. Most look like factory shots.

img001.jpg

img002.jpg

Probably photos from the late 1960's through 1970' or so  - The Phaeton had Denman tires on it (I am not sure when they became available, but most seem to be late 1960's or newer) and also has turn signals (while turn signals have been around a long time, you rarely see them on photos of 20's and 30's cars prior to WWII.  It is hard to tell but the 1941, but my guess is about the same time. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Franklin D. Roosevelt inauguration. Automobile with Roosevelts at White House, Washington, D.C.[Franklin D. Roosevelt inauguration. Automobile with Roosevelts at White House, Washington, D.C.]

Ed-

I always thought that FDR's '33 Pierce was a 1247 LeBaron Conv Sedan, but this pic shows only two door hinges, meaning it's a 1242, and probably a 7-p touring. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob Jacobsen said:

Ed-

I always thought that FDR's '33 Pierce was a 1247 LeBaron Conv Sedan, but this pic shows only two door hinges, meaning it's a 1242, and probably a 7-p touring. 


Defiantly not a convertible sedan. In 32 & 33 they leased seven and nine cars respectively. They were all factory bodied cars.......no way Pierce would lease each car for one dollar per year and let it have a coach built body. Some were factory one off’s, and others were standard bodies with special accessories. Every time I see him in a Pierce Arrow that’s pre 1936, it seems he is in a different car, or they were updating the cars often........which is certainly possible. There were two full time people involved in the cars and the contracts. One in Buffalo and the other in DC. My educated guess is the car is a 1247 in the photo. I wouldn’t go by the door hinge count......one would need to scale a very clear photo to prove it. Also......I have never seen a Pierce seven passenger touring on anything but a long chassis.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, edinmass said:


Defiantly not a convertible sedan. In 32 & 33 they leased seven and nine cars respectively. They were all factory bodied cars.......no way Pierce would lease each car for one dollar per year and let it have a coach built body. Some were factory one off’s, and others were standard bodies with special accessories. Every time I see him in a Pierce Arrow that’s pre 1936, it seems he is in a different car, or they were updating the cars often........which is certainly possible. There were two full time people involved in the cars and the contracts. One in Buffalo and the other in DC. My educated guess is the car is a 1247 in the photo. I wouldn’t go by the door hinge count......one would need to scale a very clear photo to prove it. Also......I have never seen a Pierce seven passenger touring on anything but a long chassis.

Here's a closer view.

FDR inauguration  '33 P-A 1247 touring at White House.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Casper Friederich said:

"La Coquette" an Austro-Daimler bodied by Armbruster of Vienna for Richard von Stern. Painted in yellow and black, must have been very fashionable in 1912!

1592307140873_Armbruster la Coquette.jpg

 

Armbruster made some seriously attractive bodies on the Austro Damiler chassis.

 

COACHBUILD.com • View topic - Armbruster Austro Daimler

COACHBUILD.com • View topic - Armbruster Austro Daimler

The Porsche Museum Exhibits The Austro Daimler “Bergmeister”

COACHBUILD.com • View topic - Armbruster Austro Daimler

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Steve Moskowitz changed the title to Period Images to Relieve some of the Stresshttps://forums.aaca.org/topic/341211-period-images-to-relieve-some-of-the-stress/
  • gwells changed the title to Period images to relieve some of the stress

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...