Period images to relieve some of the stress

24 minutes ago, Colin Spong said:

1932 Ford V8 with coachwork by Chaseside Motors, Enfield, England.

Chaseside C.jpg

Chaseside B.jpg

WOW how cool is this, never ever heard or seen this before! Thanks Colin. The only thing I see on the exterior that says 32 Ford is the bumpers, tail and headlamps.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Image may contain: car

These are all great posts, some stand out even more.  Love this shot, not only a great big D but it looks like a 50s, 60s pic in a collectors yard.  Would be cool to know the context on a few of these but that's what I took away from this one.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

These are all great posts, some stand out even more.  Love this shot, not only a great big D but it looks like a 50s, 60s pic in a collectors yard.  Would be cool to know the context on a few of these but that's what I took away from this one.

The true elusive roadster that is the "I know where there is a missing Model J" car................that everyone knows about. Last I knew it was partially disassembled, and the family still doesn't want to be bothered by anyone asking if it's for sale.........someday we will see it on the lawn at Pebble.....and maybe by then, we will know who built the body........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5/6/25, Parc des Princes, concours d'élégance, voiture de M. Elie Volterra, carrosserie Gaston Grummer, Omega-Six, catégorie amateurs torpedos plus de 2 places : [photographie de presse] / [Agence Rol]5/6/25, Parc des Princes, concours d'élégance, voiture de M. Elie Volterra, carrosserie Gaston Grummer, Omega-Six, catégorie amateurs torpedos plus de 2 places : [photographie de presse] / [Agence Rol]

3-6-26, Parc des Princes, concours d'élégance [automobile,] carrosserie de Costier et Bourak (Isotta-Fraschini), 6e prix torpédos 2 et 3 places : [photographie de presse] / [Agence Rol]3-6-26, Parc des Princes, concours d'élégance [automobile,] carrosserie de Costier et Bourak (Isotta-Fraschini), 6e prix torpédos 2 et 3 places : [photographie de presse] / [Agence Rol]

5/6/25, Parc des Princes, concours d'élégance, voiture Isotta-Fraschini (carrosserie Million-Guiet) carrossiers, [catégorie] torpedos plus de 2 places, 1925 : [photographie de presse] / [Agence Rol]5/6/25, Parc des Princes, concours d'élégance, voiture Isotta-Fraschini (carrosserie Million-Guiet) carrossiers, [catégorie] torpedos plus de 2 places, 1925 : [photographie de presse] / [Agence Rol]

52 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Auburn

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Look at all those whitewalls.  If I want to make my 31 Auburn Correct it will have to have whitewalls. ;) 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Look at all those whitewalls.  If I want to make my 31 Auburn Correct it will have to have whitewalls. ;) 

Flashy cars for flashy people - but blackwalls were on many

Paris juin 1931 concours d’élégance de la Cascade - véhicule Delage D8 modèle 1929

l’archétype de la voiture de concours d’élégance du début des années 30, bouchon de radiateur Lalique, pare-chocs Cromos et une parfaite harmonie des couleurs

Delage-D8-1929-F-01d.jpg

When I look at all these period photos from circa 1930 "Concours d'Elegance" events, it dawns on me that (1) they truly focused on the elegance factor, especially the clothes, formal photos etc, and (2), the cars were typically close to brand new, often same year, suggesting it was as much about bragging rights, showing off, or presenting rare new cars as anything else. I presume some much older cars were included, but so often it seems in this thread that a 1931 Cadillac, HS or Duesenberg appears in a 1931 or 1932 Concourse. Would be unusual today to see a new car in a C d'E event? Now I have never been to an event, soo....Thoughts? 

Paris Concours d´Elegance 1932

Jacques-Henri Lartigue~Renee Jouvre - I think she was 'Miss Paris ...

17 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

When I look at all these period photos from circa 1930 "Concours d'Elegance" events, it dawns on me that (1) they truly focused on the elegance factor, especially the clothes, formal photos etc, and (2), the cars were typically close to brand new, often same year, suggesting it was as much about bragging rights, showing off, or presenting rare new cars as anything else. I presume some much older cars were included, but so often it seems in this thread that a 1931 Cadillac, HS or Duesenberg appears in a 1931 or 1932 Concourse. Would be unusual today to see a new car in a C d'E event? Now I have never been to an event, soo....Thoughts? 

Paris Concours d´Elegance 1932

Jacques-Henri Lartigue~Renee Jouvre - I think she was 'Miss Paris ...

I posted a photo somewhere in the first 200 photos of a dog show at a Concours - so yes, Automobiles, Formal Gowns/fashions, and Dogs

At Cincinnati Concours d'Elegance we have a class called "Future Classics" - it generally is very exotic new and newer sports cars.  

We are heavy with sports cars in our area and there are some awesome things here - ex. up until maybe 10 years ago there were more Ferrari's registered in Cincinnati/Hamilton County, OH than in any other City/County in the US, including Los Angeles and Miami. 

24 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

Would be unusual today to see a new car in a C d'E event? 

Your question reminded me of the first few years of Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance

1950 1950 Edwards R-26 Special Sport Roadster
1951 1951 Jaguar Mark VII Saloon
1952 1952 Jaguar XK120 Fixed Head Coupe
1953 1953 Austin-Healey 100 Roadster
1954 1952 Jaguar XK120 Fixed Head Coupe
  • Steve Moskowitz changed the title to Period Images to Relieve some of the Stresshttps://forums.aaca.org/topic/341211-period-images-to-relieve-some-of-the-stress/
  • gwells changed the title to Period images to relieve some of the stress