Lebaron Bonney

Pacific Northwest buyer.

I would guess that may be SMS Upholstery in Oregon. They already have a terrific selection. I had several positive dealings with them. I suppose if anyone has the juice to resurrect the L/B interiors, it would be them.

Hope it all works out.

That is confirmed in the court docket.

43.  11/15/2019 Endorsed Order dated 11/15/2019 Re: [42] Expedited Motion filed by Trustee Joseph G. Butler to Shorten Notice [Re: [41] Motion to Sell] ALLOWED. THE TRUSTEE SHALL SERVE THE SALE MOTION AND THE NOTICE OF SALE ON THE DEBTOR, DEBTOR'S COUNSEL, THE U.S. TRUSTEE, AND ALL CREDITORS WHO HAVE FILED A PROOF OF CLAIM WITHIN 2 DAYS OF THE DATE OF THIS ORDER AND FILE A CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE EVIDENCING SUCH SERVICE WITHIN 7 DAYS OF THE DATE OF THIS ORDER. THE BROKER SHALL SERVE THE NOTICE OF SALE ON ALL PERSONS WHO HAVE EXPRESSED AN INTEREST IN THE ASSETS. THE COURT WILL ISSUE THE NOTICE OF SALE INCLUDING DATES CONSISTENT WITH THE SHORTENED 14-DAY NOTICE PERIOD.

44.  11/15/2019 Notice of Intended Private Sale RE: [41] Motion filed by Trustee Joseph G. Butler Authorizing Sale of Personal Property to SMS Auto Fabrics (LeBaron Bonney, Hampton Coach & EZ Boy Product Lines and Additional Personal Property)Free and Clear of Liens under Section 363(f). Hearing Scheduled for 12/10/2019 at 10:00 AM at Boston Courtroom 2, 12th Floor, 5 Post Office Square, Boston, MA 02109. Objections/Higher Offers due by 12/2/2019 at 04:30 PM.

46.  11/18/2019 Certificate of Service of Notice of Hearing

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

40. 11/04/2019 Notice of Appearance and Request for Notice by Aaron P. Burns with certificate of service filed by Creditor Wilson Stream Business Park, LLC

41. 11/14/2019 Motion filed by Trustee Joseph G. Butler for Sale of Property free and clear of liens under Section 363(f) Re: the patterns, inventory, supplier lists, and all intellectual property and other personal property related to the LeBaron Bonney, Hampton Coach and EZ Boy product lines, the office furniture and fixtures, other machinery, fixtures and equipment located both at 6 Chestnut Street, Amesbury, Massachusetts and in Wilton, Maine, the internet domain names http://www.lebaronbonney.com, http://www.hamptoncoach.com and http://www.ezboyinteriors.com, certain inventory and the Debtors telephone numbers with certificate of service. Fee Amount $181

42. 11/14/2019 Expedited Motion filed by Trustee Joseph G. Butler to Shorten Notice [Re: [41] Motion to Sell] with certificate of service.

If they can provide the same materials that LeBaron Bonney did for early Fords, it will be great. The other companies that now provide the service for Model A Ford's, don't come close to LB's quality, nothing is correct. 

8 minutes ago, Oldsfan said:

SMS can't produce what they promise now. How in the world are they going to pick up the additional business?

Paul,

I encourage you to give them a chance.  I am sure they will need to add more craftsmen to their team during the transition.  Perhaps some of LB's personnel will relocate to Oregon.  Otherwise, it will take time to acquire and train new people to do the jobs needed to keep up with demand.

• Like 1

I'm sure the attraction to SMS is that this is "bolt on" business, meaning that they intend to run it with less than the combined staff of the two companies.  Keeping the LeBaron-Bonney Ford (and let's not forget Hampton Coach for us non-Ford people) products in production is good.  However, digesting the addition will in the short term challenge SMS's already sometimes less than stellar responsiveness.

While not exactly a direct competitor, let's hope Bill Hirsch's company continues strong (it seems they are) as I have always had outstanding responsiveness from them.

6 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

I'm sure the attraction to SMS is that this is "bolt on" business, meaning that they intend to run it with less than the combined staff of the two companies.

This is the only way that any acquisition or merger makes business sense, no matter what the industry.

• Like 1

I have a thread on this forum about an upholstery supplier from the North West earlier this year. They were quick to take my Visa and promise d to get back to me shortly. After a month and not responding to phone calls  keiser31 advised me to get my credit card  charges reversed  which I did. They screwed me by  adding import duties on the return headliner. I had to apply to Canada Customs for a refund . They valued my old torn up head liner for 250 US. which should be near zero. I reported the matter to the better business bureau. and got quite a few emails from other people who were duped. One resident from the northwest invited me to join a class action suite. I went to the fellow in the north east and  bought the fabric for ten dollars less a yard.. It is  great. One email even suggested this fellow is part of the business bureau of the area. 

The only problem with SMS continuing supplying all the kits that Lebaron Bonney supplied is that the CNC machine, with which L-B made all the interior panels for all the cars, was sold separately from the assets in the three trailers going to SMS.  It was sold for not a lot of money, too, low Model T money.

Now, they may have patterns in those trailers for the panels, but that means having or buying a CNC machine and resultant programming, or they cut the panels manually, which is possible of course.

The other interesting thing about the sale is, as one person pointed out, one of the trailers could be full of cotton or foam for all SMS knows.  There was no inventory, and my understanding was that people who owned the assets had no intention of doing an inventory.  It was a big gamble in my mind, one that was a good bet at short money, but not as good a bet at the (high in my opinion, with no inventory) asking price for the three trailers, which was excellent 50's convertible money.

• Like 1

Lebaron Bonney advertised a trunk kit for my Buick that I planned on purchasing when the time came.  I waited too long, and now SMS has the material for the same price as what the pre-made kit would have cost.  I will find my own material now.  Spending $100/yd on trunk material for a 1939 Special Sedan isn't sensible when I can get something very close for $9/yard at my local Michael's chain store.

If anyone is interested, while hunting for mohair upholstery material for my '36 Dodge.I came across a supplier for LeBaron-Bonney that still had special inventory that they never purchased. I was able to procure a 50 yd roll of high quality, medium brown mohair. i am going to retain about 20-25 yards and sell the balance of approx. 27 yds. If there is any interest, please PM me for more info and samples.I have access to some other colors too, all in bulk. I was very fortunate that they would sell to me.

2 hours ago, jpage said:

If anyone is interested, while hunting for mohair upholstery material for my '36 Dodge.I came across a supplier for LeBaron-Bonney that still had special inventory that they never purchased. I was able to procure a 50 yd roll of high quality, medium brown mohair. i am going to retain about 20-25 yards and sell the balance of approx. 27 yds. If there is any interest, please PM me for more info and samples.I have access to some other colors too, all in bulk. I was very fortunate that they would sell to me.

I'd be interested to know what's available.  

With all due respect to 39BuickEight, there's a lot of difference between quality upholstery fabrics and what one finds at local fabric stores.  The labor to install an interior is easily 90% of the cost, so to buy cheap fabric is not really a cost savings, as later, when the estate wants to sell you car, the buyers will be asking "why the cheap fabric".  Also, you need a fabric that's UV resistant, and a fabric that can take butts sliding in and out of it...and not every fabric can do this. Even top end furniture fabric is made for sitting down vertically, and standing up vertically.  If one doesn't  think that makes a difference, then one doesn't understand the thousands of different ways that fabric can be manufactured/

No offense meant, maybe you lucked into some nice fabric, but in the upholstery world you get what you pay for really resonates....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

I'd be interested to know what's available.  

With all due respect to 39BuickEight, there's a lot of difference between quality upholstery fabrics and what one finds at local fabric stores.  The labor to install an interior is easily 90% of the cost, so to buy cheap fabric is not really a cost savings, as later, when the estate wants to sell you car, the buyers will be asking "why the cheap fabric".  Also, you need a fabric that's UV resistant, and a fabric that can take butts sliding in and out of it...and not every fabric can do this. Even top end furniture fabric is made for sitting down vertically, and standing up vertically.  If one doesn't  think that makes a difference, then one doesn't understand the thousands of different ways that fabric can be manufactured/

No offense meant, maybe you lucked into some nice fabric, but in the upholstery world you get what you pay for really resonates....

I agree and am well aware of everything you said.  That’s precisely why what I will use is 90% cheaper. I do my own labor.  I don’t have a car whose small value will be affected by the trunk material.  Nobody buys 4 door Special sedans anyway, so the trunk material is of no consequence.  I wouldn’t use such material on the seat or interior where it will see more use.  UV isn’t relevant in a trunk.  Nothing will ever be in the trunk that will cause any wear.  My actual cabin interior is a Lebaron Bonney kit that I uninstalled and reinstalled myself.

Your points are well taken and I appreciate the information.  I was lucky to find a same model car with an almost brand new interior that I I was able to reinstall in my car during restoration.  The trunk, however, was ruined l, as the car I found was rear ended and the decklid was gone, exposing it the elements, while being packed full of collision parts and cleanup.  I have a unique situation.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

20 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

Lebaron Bonney advertised a trunk kit for my Buick that I planned on purchasing when the time came.  I waited too long, and now SMS has the material for the same price as what the pre-made kit would have cost.  I will find my own material now.  Spending $100/yd on trunk material for a 1939 Special Sedan isn't sensible when I can get something very close for $9/yard at my local Michael's chain store.

Isn't Jenkins in NC still selling Buick trunk material and kits?

• 2 weeks later...

Counteroffer filed by Creditor Eckler Industries for the patterns and inventory. Sounds like the sale to SMS may not be finalized.

4411/15/2019 Notice of Intended Private Sale RE: [41] Motion filed by Trustee Joseph G. Butler Authorizing Sale of Personal Property to SMS Auto Fabrics (LeBaron Bonney, Hampton Coach & EZ Boy Product Lines and Additional Personal Property)Free and Clear of Liens under Section 363(f). Hearing Scheduled for 12/10/2019 at 10:00 AM at Boston Courtroom 2, 12th Floor, 5 Post Office Square, Boston, MA 02109. Objections/Higher Offers due by 12/2/2019 at 04:30 PM.

4611/18/2019 Certificate of Service of Notice of Hearing

4711/29/2019 Counteroffer filed by Creditor Eckler Industries Inc. Re: [41] Motion filed by Trustee Joseph G. Butler for Sale of Property free and clear of liens under Section 363(f) Re: the patterns, inventory, supplier lists, and all intellectual property and other personal property related to the LeBaron Bonney, Hampton Coach and EZ Boy product lines, the office furniture and fixtures, other machinery, fixtures and equipment located both at 6 Chestnut Street, Amesbury, Massachusetts and in Wilton, Maine, the internet domain names http://www.lebaronbonney.com, http://www.hamptoncoach.com and http://www.ezboyinteriors.com, certain inventory and the Debtors telephone numbers. 

On 11/28/2019 at 8:31 AM, autoluke said:

Not intended to change the subject, but I have an original Lebaron Bonney tan leather seat kit for a 1941 Ford Convertible for sale.

Anyone interested ?

If you didn't intend to change the subject, why did you? 🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's still being disputed. Ecler is a creditor. They objected to the order to sell to SMS. Trustee wanted to finalize the sale to SMS. There needs to be another hearing.

59  12/18/2019  Notice of Appearance and Request for Notice by Daniel C. Cohn with certificate of service filed by Creditor Eckler Industries Inc.

60  12/18/2019  Order dated 12/18/2019 Re: [53] Emergency Motion filed by Trustee Joseph G. Butler for Supplemental Order Regarding Motion for Authority to Sell Personal Property with certificate of service Re: [49] Ordered dated 12/10/2019 Re: [41] Motion filed by Trustee Joseph G. Butler for Sale of Property free and clear of liens under Section 363(f) Re: the patterns, inventory, supplier lists, and all intellectual property and other personal property related to the LeBaron Bonney, Hampton Coach and EZ Boy product lines, the office furniture and fixtures, other machinery, fixtures and equipment located both at 6 Chestnut Street, Amesbury, Massachusetts and in Wilton, Maine. See Order for Full Text.

No-one really cares. Just curious who will finally wind up with the assets. Looks like SMS. But Eckler must see some value in it, or has some motivation. Eckler apparently is not just a competing bidder, but a creditor/bidder so they may be owed something by LeBaron Bonney.

I think one thing that has been said is that if SMS gets the assets they will try to sell the fabric at very high prices.

Looks like it is going to SMS, but it is being held up as of right now.

I think many care, especially the GM guys as Hampton Coach was the only company making GM interiors for the early cars. SMS does not have a good customer service reputation and Ecklers does have a line specializing in GM so the thought is possibly that Ecklers would continue with the interior line because they probably have more capital to invest to restart it. But, there’s always a but, some have said Ecklers is no better with customer service. I live in MA and somewhat close to Amesbury and was considering purchasing the assets as I was installing a fair amount of GM interiors. I was trying to get more inside information from former employees but none would contact me back. I had located a facility and even some people to work the business but needed more info. I just couldn’t get it so I passed. The cost was not that much considering what was there as I had been in the building less than a month from closing. Time will tell if either SMS or Ecklers will bring the line and name back in some form.

On 11/28/2019 at 8:43 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

Isn't Jenkins in NC still selling Buick trunk material and kits?

I contacted these folks, and while they are able to provide a kit with period correct material (not 1939 Buick pattern, just one that represents the period), their quoted price doesn’t make sense for me and my car.  They are an option for many other people, I would think.

16 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

I contacted these folks, and while they are able to provide a kit with period correct material (not 1939 Buick pattern, just one that represents the period), their quoted price doesn’t make sense for me and my car.  They are an option for many other people, I would think.

You've got many choices.  They may not have a kit like LeBarron-Bonney did, but if they got material from LeBarron-Bonney sent the material they have it, if they actually bought LeBarron-Bonney stock.  The correct or most correct material LeBarron-Bonney had, they thought was for a Chevrolet.  The material they provided for the Buick was not correct anyway.  The Buick chassis parts book lists several clothes.  The cheapest was Mohair which is ugly, but certainly available.  There was Bedford cord which is available.  Broadcloth is is also available.  On top of that they had multiple colors of leather.  There is a Century for sale on the internet with red leather in it.  My car has blue leather in it.  SMS is both slow and expensive, but in my case they've always had the correct stuff.  But when you have the goods and you're the only game in town, you can command your price----that is, if you don't care whether people love you or not.  As for Jenkins: There is only ONE material that is correct for a '39 Buick trunk.  I provided a large swatch of the correct material out of a junk car, many years ago to the late Mr. Jenkins, the current owner's father.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

All I have left is the trunk.  The rest of the car has a Lebanon Bonney interior in it already.  SMS has the correct material at a price that doesn’t make sense for my car.  I will keep looking for close alternatives and use the my local craft store material if I don’t find anything useful.  Thanks

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

We're fortunate that the availability of period correct fabrics has been so good for so long.

It's changing, though.

One particular fabric that I wanted from Jenkins, waited 6 months for a run to be done....then the woolen mill that was to make it closed down.

It's only going to get worse......

• Like 4