Board Candidate Questions

Pete Phillips

I was asked by BCA President John Steed to form a committee to come up with a slate of questions for future BCA Board candidates to address when they run for the Board. As Editor of the Buick Bugle, I receive all of the candidates' write-ups when they run for the BCA Board in the spring of each year. My goal is to keep the write-ups short and to the point, because I think 99% of the Bugle's readers are more interested in seeing articles and photos about old Buicks, rather than a bunch of electioneering and administrative "junk" in their magazine. So, keep in mind that each write-up is usually half a page or less, and we need to keep it limited to that length, especially when we have 6 or 8 or more candidates.  The idea is to get every candidate to cover some of the same issues in their write-ups, so that we, as BCA members, can get some idea what each person would bring to the Board and then compare them when we vote.

I think everyone knows what a car looks like when it was designed by a committee, and in order to keep this simple, I'm reaching out to you, the BCA Forum participants, because you are some of the most active people in the club (rather than having a formal committee appointed). I think we can get a good response right here, given the cross section of folks who participate on this forum. So, I'm going to start the discussion with four possible questions that I've come up with. I'd like to see suggestions for other questions, issues, or revisions to what I have written so far, if you think I am off base on any of this. Please be constructive and helpful, but understand there are space limits in the magazine for election write-ups, so 10 or 15 questions to respond to is way too much! 

This is not about anyone trying to control or limit who runs for the BCA Board. It is about getting all of the candidates to address some of the same issues in their election write-ups, which are limited in length. We need to know if they have ever attended a national meet, and if they are computer literate, and if they have thought about the issue of how to recruit new members. I'm sure many of you have additional suggestions. Let's hear them.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

BCA Board Candidate Questions (first draft)--these are just my ideas, not cast in stone by any means!

1. Please describe any current or previous positions of responsibility you have held with a BCA chapter, region, or other local car club.

2. Have you ever attended and participated in a BCA national meet, and to what extent? Many of the Board’s decisions have to do with national meet policies and procedures.

3. BCA Board discussions and votes mostly occur via e-mail. Are you available on a daily (and sometimes several times daily) basis to check and respond to emails?

4. As we all know, membership in clubs and organizations is declining. Do you have any solutions or new ideas to offer to help rebuild our membership?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Possibly . . . What is your level of education?  What business experience which would relate to the improved operation of the BCA as an entity?  Wo;; you pledge to respond to inquiries of individual members in a timely manner, hopefully by email?  Then report these inquiries to the full BOD for discussion and possible disposition?  Will You pledge to work for the better good of the BCA organization?  Should the BCA BOD decide to hold a fact-to-face BOD meeting, can you travel?  Have you been a part of any planning or execution of a BCA National-style meet in the past?

It would be a "given" that the candidate has owned/loved/cherished Buicks during their life.

Hopefully, these could be "Yes", "No", or "short answer" questions.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Pete,

I like your first 3.  I particularly agree with the importance of your #1.  I believe I would replace your #4 with Brian's.  I don't believe asking about a candidate's education level is appropriate.

• Like 3

Do you play well with others. Do you share an interest in all Buicks, all divisions and groups, sufficient enough to be able to work amiably and cooperatively with fellow board members and the general membership. Do you have the social skills to communicate and work with others for betterment of the entire club? Describe a time or experience in your past social or work history where you performed successfully in a team atmosphere.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, 38Buick 80C said:

#4 is very specific. Perhaps a broader what are their goals for the club and how they will attain them if elected. no doubt most or all will touch on membership decline.

Brian,

You are correct that #4 is a very specific question but if we are in agreement that most or all will reference declining membership why not skip past generalities to hopefully hear some specific solutions? Perhaps that is why Pete already boiled down the question to specifics?

Tom Mooney

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

why not skip past generalities to hopefully hear some specific solutions?

Cause I personally want to hear more from candidates about things besides declining membership, there is more to the club then fixing membership issues which quite frankly I don't actually personally feel is an issue or at least not as big as some make it seem.

As a young member and former BCA BOD, I am quite confident the club will survive even at lower total membership numbers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Cause I personally want to hear more from candidates about things besides declining membership, there is more to the club then fixing membership issues which quite frankly I don't actually personally feel is an issue or at least not as big as some make it seem.

As a young member and former BCA BOD, I am quite confident the club will survive even at lower total membership numbers.

My post was predicated on the assumption that "we" were in agreement, or at least most including yourself were in agreement, regarding the importance of declining membership issues...apparently that is not the case, your reply clarifies same,

Tom

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:20 AM, JohnD1956 said:

+1 on this style question, and it is a very good question indeed!

I respectfully suggest that " yes or no"  questions will prime candidates for how they are expected to act, thus robbing the Club of independent thinkers and innovations.  Additionally, and also respectfully, I think questions that might cause potential candidates to think they had to have attended a National Meet and further,  worked at it, will have the same result.  

While I understand the desire to limit space for this endeavor, I believe that becomes a detriment to the future of the organization.  Where-as Mr. Earls style of question will allow a candidate to sell his/her ability to run the organization. To lock up one of 12 issues each year because of this is a small price to pay.

A suggested question would be : Explain any prior experience you may have that relates to the duties of the four club officer positions elected each year. 

And: Explain any special talents you could bring to the Board of Directors.

John

It was my understanding that the BOD and some of the candidates that ran for the BOD last time, and ultimately were successful - were running on the premise of changing how BOD members and high ranking appointed positions were filled. 

In one of President Oldfield's last monthly columns he openly advocated for removing the annual elections for a committee approach to seating the BOD and key officers.

In the future, there will be no elections of the rank and file - is my understanding.  I don't understand why the BOD doesn't change by laws an SOPs eliminating the candidate process before the next elections cycle, as they clearly have a majority to change that status.  It would save the club money, would place BCA club advocates in all of the key positions. It might promote volunteerism since that would be the only path to national club stature.

To your point, some folks will volunteer for chapter and regional positions and foresee a "career path" to leadership in the BCA much like actual politicians do.  In this manner, the gene pool will be self-limited since a person aspiring to be a leader in the BCA will have to demonstrate over a period of years the skills that the BOD appreciates in their lower echelon leadership, i.e. chapter and regional directors. 

This will preclude those recent newer members who may only own 1-2 Buicks and join the club.  These might be community leaders, and owners of companies that can offer good business administration skills to the club, but because they are not part of the inner circle of trust, it could take them 10 years to build up enough cache and credibility to rise to the top. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, and this is my opinion only, I'm not in favor of any committee deciding who can or cannot run for the Board, and if that is the way this is headed, I want nothing to do with it. I was asked to come up with some questions so the voters can evaluate if there is some experience, knowledge, interest, and talent in the candidates that they vote for. And that's what I''m trying to do.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As a sitting  BOD member, I can assure all that there is no intent to limit who runs for the BOD. The only intent in having Pete do this is to give all BCA members a chance to see where candidates stand . A standard set of questions gives all the opportunity to make an educated vote. Please keep in mind that many BCA members do not have any personal knowledge of any of the candidates. They have to make a decision based on the "bio" they see in the Bugle. It was my feeling in voting to have Pete do this , that  more BCA'ers may vote,  if they had a better knowledge of who they were voting for. Thanks fro dong this Pete and I think your use of the forum to be your "committee" is an excellent idea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:00 PM, Pete Phillips said:

. . . Thanks, everyone, for the good, constructive suggestions . . . Still listening for more comments and suggestions...

For those of you who do not know me by now, let me re-introduce myself before I get started. I have a short fuse when it comes to self-anointed experts, liars, B.S. artists, those who want to bend the rules in their favor and those that have a hard time admitting that they made a mistake. With that said and without further ado, read and comprehend the following . . .

January 21, 2020

To Pete:  Consider this as Part 1 of my “letter to the BUGLE editor” for the March-2020 issue. It is my understanding that the deadline is January 24. Part 2 addressing an issue in the January-2020 BUGLE will follow and be posted on this same Forum in the next day or two. You shouldn’t have any questions why I’m going this route and posting this on the Forum rather than sending you an e-mail. I’m asking that you acknowledge having seen and read this before the deadline.

To Pete and everyone else:  Here’s my take on how the archaic way of electing Candidates for the 54-year old Buick Club of America’s BOD should be changed. The majority of these ideas were e-mailed to the BCA Minnesota’s Fireball Chapter membership along with a few others on April 4, 2019. BCA President and a Fireball Chapter member at that time, Alan Oldfield, received a copy of my ideas but no response was received back from him. Send him an e-mail if you want to receive a copy. Note that my April recommendation of changing the fiscal-year ending-date was prior to the auditor’s findings and recommendations that were made available to the BCA General Membership after the June-2019 BCA Nationals General Membership Meeting in Midwest City, Oklahoma.

…………………………………………….

TO ALL INTERESTED 2021 BCA BOD CANDIDATES,

Thank you for your consideration to run for a position on the Buick Club of America’s Board of Directors. If you are not aware by now of the recent auditor’s recommendations to change the next fiscal year-end date from June 30, 2020 to December 31, 2020, you know it now. Likewise, the dates for electing and seating candidates will be changed to conform. This year’s three newly-elected BOD candidates will be seated on January 1, 2021. The format will also change to provide the General Membership a better understanding of all candidates’ ideas for comparison purposes before casting their votes. What hasn’t changed is the assumption that you have the time and are able to participate in telephone conference-calls, meetings and traveling, along with having a computer and are knowledgeable of, or you have someone in your household that is, of sending and receiving e-mail messages for you.

NEW ELECTION FORMAT

Briefly, the new format will consist of the following three required items:

(1)  A not-to-exceed, one page typewritten bio/profile to be hand-delivered any time before the start of the General Membership Meeting to the designated Candidate Chairman (a non-BCA Member, impartial outsider will be selected) at the July-2020 BCA Nationals in Strongsville, Ohio, will be required. Your bio/profile will be reviewed for misleading/disinformation by the Chairman at a later date and if approved as submitted, it will be published in the September-2020 edition of THE BUICK BUGLE. If misleading or disinformation is found, you will be asked to correct same before publication. No other changes will be allowed. Voting ballots will also be included in this same September-2020 BUGLE edition and a voting deadline date will be announced.

(2)  Attendance at the July-2020 BCA Nationals in Strongsville, Ohio will be required. During the General Membership Meeting, each candidate will have the opportunity to make a presentation (approximately 15 minutes) in front of the BOD and General Membership audience. Picking numbers out of a hat will determine the order in which Candidates make their presentation. The suggested order of topics for easy comparisons is listed below. Organize your speech on the premise that you are trying to convince everyone WHY I WOULD BE THE BEST CANDIDATE TO VOTE FOR. Cheat sheets will not be allowed. Neither will wives or partners be allowed to be part of your presentation. After your presentation, the General Membership audience would have the opportunity to ask questions or for clarifications regarding your stated ideas. You would be given additional time to respond. A video will be made of all presentations and made available to the General Membership before the voting deadline.

(3)  If elected and whether or not you decide to seek re-election, you will be required to submit a detailed follow-up accountability report before you seek re-election or before the end of your three-year term on the BOD should you decide not to run for re-election. All reports will be published in THE BUICK BUGLE. The report should compare what your original stated goals were vs. what you actually accomplished. Presently, few BOD Members have “accountability” in their vocabularies and the voters that voted for them have no clue on what they accomplished during their three or six years in office.

Good luck.        

SUGGESTED BIO/PROFILE AND PRESENTATION SEQUENCE

To enable intelligent voters to make intelligent comparisons of all the candidates and decisions who to vote for, organize your bio/profile and presentation accordingly. YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO ADDRESS OR ANSWER ANY ITEMS IN TOPICS 1 THRU 5. 

TOPIC 1:  Bragging rights

Suggested items to include: age, education, years as a BCA Member; what experience and new ideas can you contribute and bring to the table that would improve the BCA operation; what are your strong and weak points?

TOPIC 2:  BCA organization

What do you like and dislike most about the structure of the 54-year old organization, how would you change it, do you recognize any cronyism going on, would you vote for having impartial non-BCA members as CEO or CFO and reducing the Board by three members down to six (replacing two, not three every year); are you okay with the “sham” titles and appointments, officers holding 16 consecutive years in office and incomplete financial reporting? 

TOPIC 3:  BCA Nationals

What are your likes and dislikes about how the Nationals are run, locations, parking, changes that you would implement, outdated Judging Handbook, weeding out uninformed judges that shouldn’t be judging 400-point competition, lack of detailed financial reporting, etc.

TOPIC 4:  THE BUICK BUGLE

What do you like and dislike most, what would you change, do you favor eliminating the paper BUGLE, comment on the existing un-equal time given for all aspects (pre-war/post-war/super-size pictures/24-page write-up of Cuban rat rods/electioneering or “administrative junk” as the Editor calls it), lack of a proof reader, knowing that an item is false yet still publishing it, etc.

TOPIC 5:  Membership

BCA Membership has declined since 2003 to the tune of 800+ members per year (fewer new members signing up + fewer renewals). Prove in detail to all the listeners that turning things around is realistic in 2020 and beyond.

TOPIC 6:  Goals

Be specific and address your top two goals and how you plan to achieve them. Do you have any objection to submitting an accountability follow-up report comparing what your stated intended goals were vs. what was accomplished after three years in office? Should voters that voted you in have the right to know what you did or didn’t accomplish?

…………………………………………..

IMHO

The presentations alone might be an incentive for more members to attend the BCA Nationals.

A presentation will indicate quickly whether the Candidate has good organizational and communication skills or not.

The BCA is overdue for major changes before its demise.

Top to bottom, everyone needs to be accountable.

The General Membership deserves knowing the truth.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

“500 Miles West of Flint”

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 1953mack said:

self-anointed experts, liars, B.S. artists, those who want to bend the rules in their favor and those that have a hard time admitting that they made a mistake.

...sorta describes the author of this drivel.  And I hate posts with larger, bold or colored fonts (that's why I did not respond to your badgering me on another thread).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

...sorta describes the author of this drivel.  And I hate posts with larger, bold or colored fonts (that's why I did not respond to your badgering me on another thread).

LOL!  Willie, tell us what you REALLY think.😁

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BUICK RACER said:

WELL, very interesting and thoughtful, but this is hobby and all this cobbleygook is way above the pay range of a volunteer Board of Director, I have made several, no many suggestions that get ignored, and I will not run again ever!

I am with you . Supposed to be fun. 

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, BUICK RACER said:

WELL, very interesting and thoughtful, but this is hobby and all this cobbleygook is way above the pay range of a volunteer Board of Director, I have made several, no many suggestions that get ignored, and I will not run again ever!

Aw, come'on Roberta.  All members who have served on the board have had suggestions ignored.  And as just a lowly member offering my suggestions to board members, I have been ignored (even by you)...but hey, we are all still friends (right?).

• Like 2

WELL SAID AL, WELL SAID!!!  Notice the capital letters and Bold font.  I did this so that folks would not have any trouble reading it.  Roberta, I'm with you and a little farther.  Come November 30, 2021, the bca will be nothing more than a memory for us.  Our Pre-War Brass Era Buick Touring will be back on the road and the Horseless Carriage Club offers so many more fun activities and, did I mention that there is no such thing as judging in this organization.  I guess I just did.  This is a huge plus for folks who just want to drive their cars and cultivate new friendships and have tons of fun at the same time.  We really feel bad for the folks who do not know how to have fun.  Life is too short to do otherwise and too long to be miserable.

Terry and Barbara Wiegand

Out in Sunny Doo Dah

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/21/2020 at 12:50 PM, 1953mack said:

lack of a proof reader

Geez.. stay away from the forums for a few months and come back and it's like missing a year of the soap opera As the World Turns. Tune in one year later and it's the same old story. You haven't missed a thing. I won't comment on most of what is written, nor do I care about most of it, but I do have to defend our Bugle proof-readers who have VOLUNTEERED so many hours of their time over the years. I don't know of even one Bugle issue that has gone out without proof-reading input. Nothing is ever perfect, but thank you to those members who have something positive to contribute and continue to do so.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 12:50 PM, 1953mack said:

TOPIC 4:  THE BUICK BUGLE

What do you like and dislike most, what would you change, do you favor eliminating the paper BUGLE, comment on the existing un-equal time given for all aspects (pre-war/post-war/super-size pictures/24-page write-up of Cuban rat rods/electioneering or “administrative junk” as the Editor calls it), lack of a proof reader, knowing that an item is false yet still publishing it, etc.

The BCA is overdue for major changes before its demise.

Top to bottom, everyone needs to be accountable.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 6:23 PM, Cindy Livingston said:

Geez.. stay away from the forums for a few months and come back and it's like missing a year of the soap opera As the World Turns. Tune in one year later and it's the same old story. You haven't missed a thing. I won't comment on most of what is written, nor do I care about most of it, but I do have to defend our Bugle proof-readers who have VOLUNTEERED so many hours of their time over the years. I don't know of even one Bugle issue that has gone out without proof-reading input. Nothing is ever perfect, but thank you to those members who have something positive to contribute and continue to do so.

February 6, 2020

All readers:  read and comprehend the following facts. If you disagree with any, state in your post what they are and why you disagree. A no-post from everyone else = everything is cool in my books.

Cindy,

I love responding to a pick-and-choose reply. Out of my 1,000+ words, you decide to pick 4 . . . “lack of a proof reader” . . .

Geez.. stay away from the forums for a few months and come back and it's like missing a year of the soap opera As the World Turns . . .

Not as bad as missing the adult beverages at a wedding reception when you show up five minutes after they shut the open bar down.

. . . Tune in one year later and it's the same old story. You haven't missed a thing . . .

I totally agree with you when you start talking BUGLE issues . . . same complaints addressing the same aspects that I noted above, like knowing that an item is false yet still publishing it.  Not a first. Same thing happened within the last year.

. . . I won't comment on most of what is written . . .

Has it anything to do with agreeing with all the facts?

. . . nor do I care about most of it . . .

Sad to hear you say that, both as an individual and as a team member. The cost of putting out 12 monthly BUGLES is 80%+ of a member’s dues. The General Membership is paying your salary.   

. . but I do have to defend our Bugle proof-readers who have VOLUNTEERED so many hours of their time over the years. I don't know of even one Bugle issue that has gone out without proof-reading input. Nothing is ever perfect, but thank you to those members who have something positive to contribute and continue to do so.

Quick to defend your proof-reading volunteers but you ignored defending whoever is responsible for proofing the facts and publishing disinformation. Why?

GOOD TO KNOW FACTS

Shortly after the General Membership peaked at < 9900 in 2003 (never reached 10,000), the BCA’s BOD panicked when the numbers started its decline. In 2006, new hires were appointed as Editor, because he owned a Buick among other reasons (check your old BUGLES) and Art Director, to slowdown the declining membership renewals. Membership renewals have been declining at a faster pace than pre-2006. For those with short memories, here’s what the late-Paul Meyer had to say in his JUNE-2006 BUGLE President’s Message, your first issue as Art Director:

1-1-1-Scan.thumb.jpg.ee83ae45196d13dc15796c944e73543d.jpg

Numbers don’t lie . . . ± 12,000 membership renewals have been lost during the past 14 years (2006-2020). The Editor mentioned that he didn’t have access to all the information that the BCA Office or BOD have for membership info. (If you didn’t hear by now, neither did the auditors.). Don't agree with my numbers? All you need are three or four old Buick BUGLES and a few BOD Meeting Minutes.  Let everyone know if you are coming up with a different number and how you arrived at it.  

Out of the ± 12,000, the Editor attributes an approximate one-third of that number to his five well-educated guesses: death; combined old-age/sickness/disabled/nursing home; lack of interest (In what?); selling a Buick and/or not getting enough (out) of the Club. The Editor did not mention the BUGLE. How did I come up with 33%? By arbitrarily assigning a generous one-plus per-week number to each of his five WEG over 14 years . . . 33% is not considered a “vast majority” for anything.       

●  The changes in the BUGLE during the past 14 years were minimal. Complacent? The JANUARY-2006 issue had 42 pages, the JUNE-2006 issue (your first as Art Director) increased to 44 pages and the JULY-2006 issue was the first for 48 pages and remains today except for the annual BCA Nationals report issue and the repetitious 6-page fish-wrap (my opinion) covers. With ± 25% advertising per issue, members are receiving the equivalent of nine issues, not 12, of three or four-month old Buick news every year . . . more like a AAA Travel, Vacation and Dining Guide social rag with more pictures (my opinion again). Where are the monthly BOD reports, tech articles from the 50+ tech advisers that are listed on the covers every month, news (not pictures) from  Regional and BCA Chapters?    

MORE QUESTIONS

With few exceptions, the remaining 67% (two-thirds) of unknown reasons for not renewing a membership point to either the BUGLE or the inactions of the BOD. The BUGLE is considered the mouth of the BCA. For the majority of the members, the BUGLE is the only contact they have with the BCA organization save for picking up a few items (truth, rumor or B.S.) by belonging to a local Buick Club. That’s it. The BCA Nationals are not part of the $50 BCA Membership dues. Everything is extra.

(1)  Slice and dice apart the ± 8,000 unknown reasons (570 per-year averages) and let everyone know what percentage you would attribute to the BUGLE and what percentage would you attribute to the inactions of the BOD as being responsible for a member deciding that a membership renewal isn’t going to happen. Were you okay with knowing that the inactions of the BOD might have prevented you from obtaining better results? Did you ever discuss this with the BOD?

(2)  As mentioned above, everyone should be held accountable top-to-bottom. Can the General Membership expect to see a few paragraphs from you, an accountability report, in a BUGLE? The General Membership would be more than interested in knowing what your original goals were as an individual and as a team member when you were appointed Art Director vs. what you or your team didn’t accomplish in 14 years? If your answer is no, explain in detail why.

(3)  Are you okay with the results of the loss-in-membership renewal numbers that didn’t meet the BOD expectations? Is the BOD okay with your results? It’s my understanding that they approve and sign your paychecks.

Members might want to revise their opinions once they read your detailed answers. Thanks.

FINAL COMMENT

The BUGLE is long overdue for a major overhauling. I will state my ideas in a new Thread on this BCA Forum before February 24, the deadline for the APRIL-2020 BUGLE.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

cap.jpg.2e9f9dc488fd4ebe0bf86dd029b8f876.jpg

Al,

11 minutes ago, 1953mack said:

FINAL COMMENT

The BUGLE is long overdue for a major overhauling. I will state my ideas in a new Thread on this BCA Forum before February 24, the deadline for the APRIL-2020 BUGLE.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Cindy has retired from her position with the BCA working on the Bugle.  She does not and never has set policy. She has provided a service that presents what she was given in the best format for the members of the club. 

Membership growth is the boards purvey.  Decisions by the Board and all activities including the national meet are the Boards responsibility help drive membership. 

Remember that a fish rots from the head down and Cindy has never been the head. Think Custer at the Little Big Horn and the other disastrous battles called by other generals. It was not the foot soldier that created the loss.   She has been a great foot soldier for the BCA.  Just IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

OH Crap it looks like someone got up in the morning and took a poke at the sleeping bear. Cant argue that the membership is in decline and there is many reasons for the decline. Hopefully someday that will become a non issue. When I was on the board a lot of good ideas were not acted on but that's the system of many parts.  I had the feeling many times that I could wear the Rockies down with an eyedropper than some members with a fire hose. 

I cant say that I agree with asking board members canned questions. It is clear that some changes need to be made but change is slow and to put pressure on any volunteer is screwing up a 2 car funeral. A very small part of the membership takes part in the management of the club which is not a fault of the BOD its a fault of the members. I have watched what has been going on the past few years and it is interesting. There are a lot of members that have been around longer than me but since I joined and ran for the Board I have listened to tons of complaints but very few real solutions. I will stand on any soapbox and say the Bugle is the BCAs strong suit. The club will continue to change and will change like the cars on the National meet will change. Lets support our BOD and if change is necessary great. My hat is off to Pete and Cindy and the BOD the board is un paid and I have served on several boards and I have yet to find a way to fire a volunteer. 

When my wife and I can make it to a national meet we always have a good time and that will never change

Edited by Booreatta
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

"self-anointed experts, liars, B.S. artists, those who want to bend the rules in their favor and those that have a hard time admitting that they made a mistake" - 1953mack

I am pretty sure 1953mack thinks I fall into one or more of these categories, and that's okay.  I know better and have received trust and feedback from enough people (Buick and otherwise) to know it's not true.

Nonetheless, without getting into the ugly politics or going into detail on the things he's stated that I don't agree with, I'll say I do agree with some of his points.  I don't think the Bugle needs a major overhaul, but some reorganizing and addition of certain things such as regular inclusion of financial reports, chapter updates, and tech articles would be great.  There are probably ways to reduce costs as well.  It's still a great club magazine, and the editor works very hard with little gratitude to make it such.

The problem is, the board can't snap their fingers and make these wishful things appear.  Only action, not complaints, will directly create change.  Given that, I do believe that an active effort by BCA leadership by first drafting a desired updated structure, and then actively working to create a "pull" for such contributions, could achieve results.

This is not a complaint; I'm just offering my views.  I twice ran for the board, but was not selected.  While I'm certain I could have made a strong positive impact, the votes have spoken and I don't intend to run again any time soon.

However, if there is a legitimate desire, I hereby offer to work with BCA leadership offline to develop a formal proposal of some of my ideas with the objective function being to 1) enhance the structure of the Bugle, 2) minimize costs, 3) create a strategy to create a pull for desired content as needed, and 4) launch a membership renewal campaign, thus putting my money (in the form of my much-cherished time) where my mouth is.  If not, I'll try to just stay out of these matters.

Either way, I will continue to enjoy my cars, this forum, the BCA, and the Buick friends I've made.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

lancemb,

If we just knew who you were, there possibly could be some constructive comments made with regard to your posting.  As Ben so aptly pointed out a few days ago, people who hide behind a moniker do not give off a warm and fuzzy feeling.  Without a name, your post has zero credibility to a lot of folks.  Just the way things are.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

1 hour ago, Terry Wiegand said:

lancemb,

If we just knew who you were, there possibly could be some constructive comments made with regard to your posting.  As Ben so aptly pointed out a few days ago, people who hide behind a moniker do not give off a warm and fuzzy feeling.  Without a name, your post has zero credibility to a lot of folks.  Just the way things are.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Terry,

Lance is a fine member of the BCA for many years, a second generation member at that I believe. I know his last name as do many others on this forum, but have you considered that he perhaps doesn't want the globe to know his full name for privacy concerns relative to the world in general and not hiding from any forum members. Many in the BCA know EXACTLY what his last name is cause he has been active in the club, but that doesn't mean he wants the world who can view this forum to know enough details. His privacy is his choice and you need to BACK OFF cause in this case you are wrong about Lance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

lancemb,

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Terry, I highly resent you accusing me of "HIDING" behind a moniker.  My handle is my name; it's not very cryptic.  I've been on this forum for years and I'm shocked if anybody by now doesn't know this.  Finally, even people whose handle doesn't have their name in it aren't necessarily trying to "HIDE".

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 2/7/2020 at 6:01 AM, 38Buick 80C said:

His privacy is his choice and you need to BACK OFF cause in this case you are wrong about Lance.

And it's not just about "privacy". "Monikers" are just nicknames or handles, simple as that. Hell,  I was MrEarl before I ever joined this group. I think you went overboard speaking to Lance like you did this time Mr @Terry Wiegand And many others have probably felt slighted by your past comments on the subject. Monikers are meant to be fun, you should try one. I can think of some good ones for you.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Haha 6

Mr. DePouli and the other fellow,

I would really like to point out something to you two that you seem to be missing - I DID NOT START THIS ISSUE!  BEN P. DID IN ANOTHER TOPIC!  I wholeheartedly agree with him and because I state this I am made out to be the bad guy here.  I ALWAYS state my name and location in all of my postings because I have NOTHING TO HIDE.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

6 minutes ago, Terry Wiegand said:

Mr. DePouli and the other fellow,

Well, now some may call me Joe
Some may call me Moe
Just remember Speedoo
He don't never take it slow
Well now they often call me Speedoo
But my real name is Mister Earl
Umm-hmm-hmm

all in good fun Terry, all in good fun