White walls vs. Blackwalls

Buick35

7 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Looks like Babe Ruth

1 hour ago, chistech said:

That’s exactly what I thought.

Striking resemblance, I must say. Funny thing, if you read this book you might even picture him owning a V16 Cadillac. Amazing coincidence, huh !     -     V8 Cadillac Carl 

6FCCD876-E828-476E-A049-45C513DDB3EA.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, C Carl said:

Striking resemblance, I must say. Funny thing, if you read this book you might even picture him owning a V16 Cadillac. Amazing coincidence, huh !     -     V8 Cadillac Carl 

The reason there's a striking resemblance is because that IS Babe Ruth. Do a search for "Babe Ruth Cadillac" and that photo comes up along with several others of him with other cars....

• Like 3

Naw ! C'mon ! Seriously. Ya mean dat REALLY IS da' Bambino his self  ? Never wouldda guessed ! Imagine dat ! But getting my tongue back to the middle of my mouth, read the book. He did indeed like a fine, great performing automobile. But some of the, ah, the um, the terminology, or how should I put it ?, the, er, "nomenclature" in the book may be upsetting.     -   Struck out,  -  CC 

Nice car, great dog!  I agree Ed, totally.

I don't have a car like that but have a similar dog laying across my left foot asleep as I type this right now.

This just brought to mid something a friend said to me and my Dad when I first met him in 1967, he had a collection of old cars of some distinction.

As he poured us a scotch over some ice, he looked at the label on the  bottle of scotch that showed a image of a West Highland White terrier (Westie) and a Scottish terrier( Scottie) and remarked

"The best scotch , and even better dogs" . I haven't  thought of that in many decades . Austin Clark was one of a kind. ( and you never called him Henry)

WG

For 50 years my dad would slap whitewalls on anything that moved including our lawnmower.   This was typical of all the guys that started collecting in the 50s, 60s and 70s.   By the 90s the backlash started against the "circus wagon" aspects of the hobby.   Unnecessary trinkets bolted everywhere,  white walls,  inappropriate bright colors.    I've managed bring my dad around on about 1/2 his cars. 

Errrr not everyone. Have always been a bit minimalist. Even had white letters turned to the inside (didn't see asymmetrical or directional tires until the '70s. so could mount anyway you wanted).

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Errrr not everyone. Have always been a bit minimalist. Even had white letters turned to the inside (didn't see asymmetrical or directional tires until the '70s. so could mount anyway you wanted).

These BFG Radial T/A's Raised white letters on my H-O LeMans are painted black and mounted on the inside.

p1020752.jpg

2 hours ago, C Carl said:

Naw ! C'mon ! Seriously. Ya mean dat REALLY IS da' Bambino his self  ? Never wouldda guessed ! Imagine dat ! But getting my tongue back to the middle of my mouth, read the book. He did indeed like a fine, great performing automobile. But some of the, ah, the um, the terminology, or how should I put it ?, the, er, "nomenclature" in the book may be upsetting.     -   Struck out,  -  CC 

I remember a quote from the Babe way back then. A reporter told him that he made more money than the President the previous year and his response was "I know because I had a better year than he did!" :D

• Like 1

As a general rule of thumb if its 34 or back I prefer BW, 35 up, WW more often than not.  Like Matt  I agree they add a little pizzaz to some cars like the 40 Pontiac, he has just listed, for example.  Definately a BW guy on Model As, but WWW on a traditional Av8 or such.  

Less trinkets are almost always better in general.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, Curti said:

Some where on this site there is a 10 minute (or so) video of cars going down Sunset Blvd. in the late 30's.  Only one car, a Rolls early in the video had white walls. 

A good researcher should be able to figure out the owner of this car (or at least narrow it down) if still in the hands of first owner at the time - the owner "registry" which includes owner's name, delivery date, delivery city, and body style is in a book called Rolls-Royce in America. 

21 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Anybody know where I can get a new set of "Martin's" ?

Just in case I need to re-shoe the Buick.

Proud baby boomer in Colorado

056.JPG

065.JPG

Martin I believe became Lester tire.  We replaced the Martin's on a 1941 Packard Darrin - they had a charm to them but it was horrifying that when we took them off the beads had almost totally separated from the tire casings - all 8 beads were broken 3/4 to 7/8 through (and we had been driving "death" on wheels" around quite a bit prior). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

There are NO good Martin tires anywhere......they dry rot like nothing I have ever seen. Do not drive on them.......last year of production was 1971 if memory serves me. Anyone know of different dates?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

As a general rule of thumb if its 34 or back I prefer BW, 35 up, WW more often than not.  Like Matt  I agree they add a little pizzaz to some cars like the 40 Pontiac, he has just listed, for example.  Definately a BW guy on Model As, but WWW on a traditional Av8 or such.  

Less trinkets are almost always better in general.

I'm thinking you meant to say:  As a general rule of thumb for me. Or, my rule of thumb is.

Both WW and BW are correct.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Our Pierce was purchased in the very early 60's from someone that had purchased it from the estate of the original owner with the intent to flip it.

All he did was clean up the car and put it up for sale.

It wad WW then and it has had WW ever since.

When I went to put this last set of tires on the car I did not use a tire with the truck like tread pattern because they would not fit in the fender wells unless they were completely deflated.

The next size down that would fit did not look right for the car, they looked noticeably too small.

So I opted for the Lester with the smoother tread shoulder and they have been great tires.

They ride well and do well at freeway speeds.

My Rickenbacker has artillery wheels and it wears black wall only.

Both of my 20's cars are allergic to rain so I cannot say how they do in rainy weather.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

I thought the Lesters we had on various cars (ex. 1931 Cadillac's) were a little squirrel-ey  in the rain - nothing to get too concerned about, but a little squirrel-ey nevertheless.  We had them on the 31's as they fit better under the sidemount covers than Denmans which were somewhat more boxy via tread and width (Lesters and Denmans were near the only game in town in the 1970's and early 1980's).  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

There are NO good Martin tires anywhere......they dry rot like nothing I have ever seen. Do not drive on them.......last year of production was 1971 if memory serves me. Anyone know of different dates?

Just as an update, I bought the Buick in 2009 and she was wearing what looked like a brand new set of Martins. Still had the "tits' sticking out in the center of the tread.

Drove her home from Denver, 130 miles,  and immediately had my tire guy put new tubes in all 6 tires. He said they were perfect inside, and I had no cause for concern.

Now, I don't put a lot of highway miles on her, but just driving around town they have done well for the last 9 years. Nary a crack or blister anywhere, and they are not hard to keep white.

I did some research on Martin, and there was a bankruptcy filing in 1943 over a vulcanizer the they could not pay for, but then I saw an ad from the 50's for Martin's.

Would be an interesting research project for someone.

I know they are made of unobtainium, and the lesters are the closest thing now available with a 4.5" white wall. Really look similar.

I was just pulling your chain about finding more Martin's.

Mike in Colorado

PS; Just saw John's post with DOUBLE WHITES on an Auburn.  Side blocks say they are Denman's but the center tread is different than the ones on my '31 imperial CG.

But the sign in the window says Pennsylvania Tires, so is that what they are ?

Wonder if there are any double whites available now ? I really don't want to put "port-a-walls" on the inside.

Boy that statement will drive the "purists" nuts...............

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, FLYER15015 said:

PS; Just saw John's post with DOUBLE WHITES on an Auburn.  Side blocks say they are Denman's but the center tread is different than the ones on my '31 imperial CG.

But the sign in the window says Pennsylvania Tires, so is that what they are ?

Wonder if there are any double whites available now ? I really don't want to put "port-a-walls" on the inside.

The "period" auburn photo is a Vogue tire and often it is a little confusing to identify at first glance as the logos are somewhat similar to what would have been B. F. Goodrich Double Eagles.   As to location:  I would say California via sign above the car on next building over.   Vogue was and still is a BIG west coast thing. 

1 hour ago, FLYER15015 said:

Just as an update, I bought the Buick in 2009

That was another 10 years ago.  I know there are pros and con's, but a flat on a front tire at even 35MPH is a pretty dangerous thing - I would not have these tires on anything I owned unless it was just sitting quietly in the corner of the garage.  As mentioned, the tires on the 41 Packard were SCARY dangerous (and they could have been much more ancient, but ....) and we were lucky as literally there was little to nothing holding the tires to the rims. 

20 hours ago, Pfeil said:

I'm thinking you meant to say:  As a general rule of thumb for me. Or, my rule of thumb is.

Both WW and BW are correct.

Strictly preference, as noted, not a rule of thumb for others to follow. 🙂

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I always refer to whitewalls as a "keeping up with the Jones'es," "one upping the Jones'es," or "my dog is better than your dog" kind of thing matched to some good conversation at the Country Club.  In actuality though, it really just depends on the car  itself and its colors and ... - some cars are "made" by whitewalls and on other cars they detract. 

• Like 2

When I think of blackwall tires it reminds me of my uncle who used to sneak off on Saturday afternoons to meet his girlfriend. He would meet her and leave his nondescript car in a parking lot where it blended in. Told his wife he was going to the village dump.

Blackwalls are associated with my early learning about clandestine operations.

Some memories stick with you a lifetime.

Bernie

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

You should be able to get double whites for your Imperial in period correct tread pattern Firestones or Bedford brands and they tend to be available in 20", 19", 18", and 17" sizes via Lucas or Coker tire.  There is also enough interest that a run could be done of 16" for Auburn and Cord cars in the 6:50 x 16 size.  And, if not currently made the Ford script tires would also have enough interest again. 

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

When I think of blackwall tires it reminds me of my uncle who used to sneak off on Saturday afternoons to meet his girlfriend. He would meet her and leave his nondescript car in a parking lot where it blended in. Told his wife he was going to the village dump.

Blackwalls are associated with my early learning about clandestine operations.

Some memories stick with you a lifetime.

Bernie

Thanks for sharing your family information. Just what I wanted to read this fine Sunday morning.