Old car bargains from around the Web

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

The 1950 Chrysler Windsor Newport that had so many of us tied up in knots trying to figure out if selling a kidney would be enough, is due for delivery tonight. Spent much time on the phone with the owner who had inherited his grandfathers collection. Really looking forward to seeing this car for sure.

That was fast! Must have found a good transporter or be in a better part of the country for that sort of thing than up north... usually takes me 4-6 weeks to get a car transported around the rust belt.

I'll bet your excited! Heck, I'm excited and I didn't buy it... though I wanted to so bad!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

The 1950 Chrysler Windsor Newport that had so many of us tied up in knots trying to figure out if selling a kidney would be enough, is due for delivery tonight. Spent much time on the phone with the owner who had inherited his grandfathers collection. Really looking forward to seeing this car for sure.

Did you remember this time to ask what else is coming up for sale?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cjp69 said:

Did you remember this time to ask what else is coming up for sale?

Wow I didn't think of that.  Does he have more stuff to sell? I'm in the market for something,  was tempted by that Chrysler but with Hershey a week away decided to hold my cards.  Of course didn't buy anything there.   I'm not very good at old car poker. :( 

12 hours ago, mercer09 said:

I'm not very good at old car poker. :( 

patience grasshopper!                  ...............................lol

My father who was a big time collector of rare pre-prohibition brewery advertising always said  "The regret of buying something good for a little extra will soon pass once it is in your hands but the regret of passing on it and then never seeing something so good again will always stay with you."   Yeah now I have to sell the Z28 but now that I look at it I was just looking for a good enough reason to sell it anyway.  There are two more cars on the list I would like to get.  A 47 Plymouth and a 39-40 Dodge.  Sedan or coupe.

• Like 2

OK.  After putting on around 100 miles in the day and half I have had the Chrysler I can give a little run down on the car.

First. No regrets. It runs and drives and operates like a car did in 1950 and that includes the fluid drive operated transmission.  Low range acts as low should and high range will shift at the right speed even though I think 2nd to 3rd is a little high at just under 40 mph. It has a narrow band of rpm and speed to match up on the flat but going down hill you never even notice the shift point. At a stop light it will idle correctly but a little noticeable vibration. Fluid drive is a wonderful thing. Give the car a little gas and it pulls very nicely from a dead stop while sitting in high range for the 2 minute light change.   Just a lift of the gas pedal for a couple seconds and gears shift nicely. 

The paint is what it is for an original paint job and a car with no body working. It is cracked, has some stone bruises. A couple pings from the inside out in the back wheel wells. Does have some flaking under one headlight. Some old touch up. But boy does it shine !  Much better then I thought it should. The engine compartment and trunk show the aging of a well cared for old girl. Clean but driven.

Interior is just great for original. More then it's fair share of moth bites in the wool but the leather is soft and pliable. No sag in the springs and the seat is very stiff. Everything from the gauges to the lights to the switches all work as should and are bright and clean. Even the clock works but loses 5 mins a day. Heater blower won't come on so will dig into that. Defroster blower works fine. The E brake warning light likes to come on for no reason and flashes. At night it sucks. This green flash nailing your left eye. There is no pitting or any damage at all on the bright work both inside and out. One front turn signal is out so will see about the bulb. No drips yet. Has a wee pull to the right and will rotate the front tires and check that out.  No squeaks, no rattles. Steering and suspension is as tight as new. Turning radius is that of an aircraft carrier. At 55-60 it just wants to level out and float over the bumps. No big bouncing. 

I really think taking the chance like I did has given me a very special car. Am sure some other things will crop up the future but good feelings in every regard about it. 

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wow not only did it look great but it sounds like it's mechanically pretty good.   Alot of restored cars don't come close to that.  You can't beat original and figure the honesty of an all original car.  I don't think you could have plated all the chrome on that car for what you paid for it. 

Now did he have any other cars to get rid of?

8 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Wow not only did it look great but it sounds like it's mechanically pretty good.   Alot of restored cars don't come close to that.  You can't beat original and figure the honesty of an all original car.  I don't think you could have plated all the chrome on that car for what you paid for it. 

Now did he have any other cars to get rid of?

He said he has a few more that he is not parting with yet. Sold a few already. Didn't really seem too keen on offering up anymore then that.  This car is really mostly original down to the window felts which are in very good shape.  The flip up window crank handles are flawless and the windows go up and down better then the ones I restored in my 46 Dodge.  One odd thing though about what Chrysler did. When you roll down the rear windows the chrome across the top is attached to the roofline where as the front has the chrome attached to the window frame and comes down with the window leaving a chrome-less gap over each door when the windows are down.  One other thing is the push up cowl vent rod is not attached to the handle even though everything is in place.  

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)

something else I will dig into.  on the list of things to do !  First getting the parts chaser back on the road. Thought I had the 63 Dodge 880 fixed this morning but opposite of what I was "PROMISED" from one of the C body boards, 1966 Monaco rear drums do not fit a 63 880.  grr.  Too deep x 1/16 inch.  Perfect fit but tighten up the lugs and the wheels don't turn !  And according to Dodge, every once in a while a rear with 11 inch brakes made it onto a car instead of the 10's. Guess which one I got.

Hopefully the 50 will give you more enjoyment with less agony than all the battles on the Cheaper beater 63 Dodge.  

That vent might not have leaked but maybe one on a previous car did so they made sure you wouldn't open it as a precaution on this one.  Remember ways of thinking in the old days.   

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

something else I will dig into.  on the list of things to do !  First getting the parts chaser back on the road. Thought I had the 63 Dodge 880 fixed this morning but opposite of what I was "PROMISED" from one of the C body boards, 1966 Monaco rear drums do not fit a 63 880.  grr.  Too deep x 1/16 inch.  Perfect fit but tighten up the lugs and the wheels don't turn !  And according to Dodge, every once in a while a rear with 11 inch brakes made it onto a car instead of the 10's. Guess which one I got.

• where is that 10. HF grinder when you need one??????????  maybe a local shop can cut a bit off for you.

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

• where is that 10. HF grinder when you need one??????????  maybe a local shop can cut a bit off for you.

those drums going back and evidently 67 coronet FRONTS are correct.  62-64   880's were half Chrysler and everything else till 65 when they gave up on it halfway through the year.   8- 3/4 rear with 2-1/2" shoes , 11 inches.    Trying raybestos

A couple cars in Canada, both in Canadian Dollars. The Chrysler needs a bit of reassembly and who knows what else. The Buick looks well kept but could use an engine bay cleanse.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/st-catharines/1936-chrysler-airlfow/1466488361?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true    $9,500

$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voiture-collection/st-georges-de-beauce/1936-buick-series-40/1466614046?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true    $25,000

$_59.JPG

Edited by Sharps45-70 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Great. Another old Mopar that fits the bill here.  I need the number of his exhaust guy. The hardware store is out of worm gear clamps and I think he has them all s-l1600.jpg

Hey, that almost would've been upscale when I was 18. Coke and beer cans were my most likely exhaust patching material. 😄

• Like 1

Yeah, James ! And back when I was 18, those beer cans were more durable. They were made of steel. Those who consumed always carried an opener referred to as a "Church key". I wonder if that term is still remembered by anyone under the age of 50 or 60 ? The doctors allow me 1/2 a light beer now and then. It is so seldom these days, that when I do get around to it, I usually drink the whole thing.   -   Carl 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sharps45-70 said:

A couple cars in Canada, both in Canadian Dollars. The Chrysler needs a bit of reassembly and who knows what else. The Buick looks well kept but could use an engine bay cleanse.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/st-catharines/1936-chrysler-airlfow/1466488361?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true    $9,500

$_59.JPG

What's going on with the speedometer on the Chrysler?  I can't figure it out.

7 minutes ago, neil morse said:

What's going on with the speedometer on the Chrysler?  I can't figure it out.

Neil, that's the "tachometer."  Shows next to mph the rpm in direct 3rd (higher number) and 3rd overdrive, in hundreds of rpm.  1937-38 Pierce had similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Not bad but I think that 50 Chrysler 2 door hardtop,  raised the Mopar bar for deals. 

No question. The '50 Newport was a prize -- a more attractive model, likely better condition and better priced. But this comfortable old sedan could be an affordable entry into the old car hobby.

Don

• Like 2

I wonder with things changing in the market if your 50 is the exception or going to become the rule?  Lots of neat old cars with no following coming on the market.  Hell your 50 was on ebay and ran through more than once.  It wasn't like you bought it from an obscure auction like that Auburn I'm interested in. 

Either way to a degree the 50 is a bit of an exception in it being a survivor and not just a family sedan like most.  Still glad you bought it.  I was agonizing over it,  but would have cursed myself if i bought it as I would have found the perfect car for exactly 10G more than I now had at Hershey.  

15 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

This would be a good family car but if your holding it up to comparison to the one I just got then 3 k needs knocked off the price just by the sellers description

Correct me if I'm wrong, Brooklyn Beer, but your new old Chrysler also came with a title didn't it? The '48 four door is very cool, but doesn't have a title, and that might be worth thousands in and of itself (depending on which state you live in.)

Clear title. I had it registered in TX 45 minutes after delivery which 20 mins of that was the safety inspection and 15 more waiting in line at DMV.    Sub courthouse and DMV is across the street from inspection. Life in a town of 3500 is great. I actually drove the car the to DMV to get it registered.  She asked if that was it in the parking lot as she watched it drive in. If you have insurance it is about all the sheriffs department here cares about.

But no title I would knock it down another 1 k.  Surely a title was issued on that year?

• Like 1

But no title I would knock it down another 1 k.

In my state it would bring it down at least another 2000, and that's optimistic. More likely another 4000, for that car. There are some exceptions to the must-have-title-to license rule around here, but not very many.

A lot of sellers say, "Oh, it's easy to get a title," but don't do it themselves, for some reason....and end up asking half of what the car would bring with a title.

Depends on the state it has paper from.  Could have registration paperwork from another state than it's in.   If it is a registration state,  all you have is a registration card often found in the glove box if the mice didn't eat it up.  That's all you need and is honored in title states when you go to title it.  Now if it has none at all,  or the registration is assigned to someone else then that's a big mess depending on your state.  No paperwork is almost better than messed up paperwork,  especially if the people who technically own the car or it's been assigned to are deceased. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Decent 56 Olds… isn't perfect but looks mostly original (I'm not an Olds guy).

Curious  to know everyone's honest feedback on this one. Rockets never seem to have much value from what I've seen for some reason and was curious as to why... 

Good value or is it right in line?

If you all want me to delete them I can if they aren't value buys.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/d/phoenix-1956-oldsmobile/7017967975.html

00e0e_3VfmhJL2lHv_1200x900.jpg

And opinions on this ragtop 300 in the same price range

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/hackberry-66-chrysler-300/7006538582.html

00z0z_gFnPw5DtpnC_1200x900.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1