Old car bargains from around the Web

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Who wants the Jeepster?

See this is why I didn't jump on the Chrysler.  I don't want to be 10G short when I find the perfect care for 10 G more than I have left.  Now if i was looking for something very specific and probably slim chance of finding,  then I wouldn't be so reserved but I have seen a couple of cars I would have bought if I didn't have the 40 Ford right before I sold it,  so I'll wait. 

6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

it goes back to not many guys looking for this car.  Most that would be interested would also consider a similar Chevy or Mopar product and are more price shopping than buying a specific car.  I know I am to a point.  I have a bunch of cars I'm interested in and if one comes into my price range I will probably own it. 

This is very true. That's why I found the car...looking at "deals I can't ignore." The good thing about looking at cars from the low price perspective, though, is that it can help you appreciate qualities in cars that you (and possibly most people) have overlooked. I never would've said "Wow!" if I'd seen a car like this when I was in my late teens, but I now have to admit that Galaxies and Impalas of the late '60's can have have nice flowing lines when compared to the gigantic architectural looking vehicles Ford and Chevy were putting out 10 years later. And I'm generally more interested in seeing a '67 Impala nowadays than a '57 Belair, too. Just this morning I saw a very clean early '60's Rambler at a lot and said, "Wow!" Never thought that day would come (back when I was a kid. 😄 )

That Chrysler is relisted at 8500.  Even with shipping I would probably have 10 G in it.  Come on someone buy it.  The market can't be that horrible.  Any newbees looking at this for their first car, buy it.   You will look at alot of crap for maybe even years before you find something like this in this price range. 

9 hours ago, cjp69 said:

Let's see some pics of the Z28!

Numbers matching, never apart, 65k original miles, 350-4 speed.  working cowl induction. Factory tight suspension, T-tops that don't leak.  One repaint  in 83-84 (In total including trunk after deer ran into fender. GM replaced) AC works, heater core bypassed. Interior original, great shape. True survivor car down to air pump/smog.

20181202_144919.jpg

• Like 1

Well that damn Mopar siren got me.  But a garage full of them that I can drive and love on is my therapy for PTSD I guess.  Yeah, I bought it damn it !   Saved you all from the anguish.  Come here wonderful Chrysler and join the crew.                 

So the Z28 will be going up for sale some time soon.

• Like 7

I had a local friend that was just getting ready to buy it as another deal fell apart today and he's hot to buy something.  I had mentioned it a few times but he was wishy washy about it.  After seeing what the last pile looked like he turned away for about half of what they wanted for the Chrysler I think he realized,  hot damn that's a deal.  You got it just in time.  I can't imagine it would have lasted much longer though. 

Good luck with it and let us know your impressions when it arrives.  

I really am having a hard time going over the pictures to see anything I don't like here.  WW tires maybe?  I know green is not a big draw these days but I like different. I know pictures don't tell us everything especially when you can use select angles. But I looked and looked and looked in detail blowing up shots and I don't see anything that would me doubt buying this car. Not a great vid of it driving but I don't hear a sewing machine coming apart nor a thrasher being flogged in the braking. No smoke . I love the dashboards of the late 40's to mid 50's mopars at night.  The rear windows are a classic stand out for me. Being a Mopar guy would really sold me was when I asked myself   "Am I ever going to find a 1950 Chrysler 2 door in this condition at this price again?"    Just have to skip going to Germany next year.

A little late to be asking but anything that looks questionable to folks?

I'm a whitewall guy usually but I do have to admit,  with everything gleaming like it does the blackwalls don't distract from how clean it is.  They almost make it look more original for some reason than a set of whites,  but that's a preference thing we've argued to death and the one nonpermanent change one can make easily.  

I didn't scrutinize the pics real well,  but did notice the little bits all seemed to gleam like the outside which is usually the calling card for a nice original car like we like to find. 

13 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

A little late to be asking but anything that looks questionable to folks?

Not a thing.  As the former owner of a '48 Windsor, I can promise you that you've made an excellent choice.  These MoPars will run forever without the slightest complaint, and the interior on your car is spectacular (as well as the rest of it, for that matter).  Congratulations, you've made an excellent choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

On the front fender included in the windsor trim, what is the wording under it ?  I cannot see for the life of me what it says. Newport ?

Yes, I believe you are correct.

newport.thumb.jpg.0776e43f6cba27bb9ce1295606e650c1.jpg

Just now, neil morse said:

Yes, I believe you are correct.

newport.thumb.jpg.0776e43f6cba27bb9ce1295606e650c1.jpg

I am not up to speed on Chrysler trim levels yet Neil.  Just what did you get stepping up to Windsor Newport from Windsor but not going up to Windsor New Yorker?  And of course these were all below the Royal which I guess was loaded. Find it odd as well that it is a 3 speed and not a fluid drive car. I figured that was a gimmie on a Chrysler.

19 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I am not up to speed on Chrysler trim levels yet Neil.  Just what did you get stepping up to Windsor Newport from Windsor but not going up to Windsor New Yorker?  And of course these were all below the Royal which I guess was loaded. Find it odd as well that it is a 3 speed and not a fluid drive car. I figured that was a gimmie on a Chrysler.

I'm a little rusty on my MoPar nomenclature (having moved to a Buick), but I think that Dlynskey is correct that the Newport badge during that era denoted the 2-door hardtop.  There is no "Windsor New Yorker."  You are mixing apples and oranges.  The Windsor was the 6 cylinder top trim level, the New Yorker was the 8 cylinder top trim level.   Contrary to what you say, the Royal was always the lowest priced Chrysler as far a I know, not the top.  The Royal was the lower trim 6 cylinder, and the Saratoga was the lower trim 8 cylinder. 

I'm impressed that you are asking questions about a car that you have purchased but you haven't even seen yet!  That takes guts, although I have to say that I don't think you can have possibly gone wrong here given what I've seen so far.

On the "Fluid Drive" issue, you are about to be initiated into the somewhat confusing world of MoPar transmissions.  The name "Fluid Drive" actually applied to the fluid coupling, which was offered for many years on a standard three speed or a four speed "semi-automatic."  The "semi-automatic" transmission, that was actually a four speed with a "high" and "low" range (that shifted once when you took your foot off the gas), had various different names depending on the make of car.  From Wikipedia: "The semi-automatic came under a variety of names - Vacamatic, Prestomatic, Fluidmatic (Chrysler), Simplimatic, Tip-Toe Hydraulic Shift (DeSoto) and Gyromatic (Dodge).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_Drive

But what's that Dodge on your avatar?  Seems like you should already know this stuff! 😉

• Like 1

Oh I am fine on the whole fluid drive thing, just having finished a clutch job on the old 46 pictured in my avatar.   Just did not understand how Chrysler did their trim levels as I have never owned one before. Didn't know they had different designations based on 8 or 6 cylinder cars.  Never researched it as I had really no plans to buy a Chrysler at this time.  But this car seemed to get big thumbs up from everyone who saw it so I said what the heck and bought it. Have regretted in the past not making a great deal happen ! I just need to learn it. Everything really the same as my other 2 flat sixes from this era. The 46 Dodge and 53 Plymouth.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Just did not understand how Chrysler did their trim levels as I have never owned one before.

I had a 1955 two door hardtop Windsor Deluxe Newport that I sold several years ago, and I never took the time to understand the system, I'm sorry to say. They definitely aren't very intuitive. Windsor is in Ontario and Newport is in Rhode Island, right???

Your new car looks awesome. I honestly don't see how you can be disappointed. Your purchase makes me want to pursue that '68 Galaxie, but I won't. That's the good thing about being broke. 😄

1 hour ago, thehandleman said:

Good luck with purchase I was real close to taking a loan lol

I gave myself a loan this time around until I can sell the Z28.  It just doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling anymore driving it like the 40's and early 50's cars do. 

I stood back when it was 10600 and just said "darn it".   When it dropped to 9600 I leaned in a little closer and took a deeper gander at the pictures and said "hmmmmm".  When it went to 8600 I broke out the calculator and figured out how many cans of beenie weenies for lunch divided by tins of vienna sausages and cheap swill beer instead of steak and Hof Brau it would take to make it work. Then I looked at the Camaro and the math became easy.  I just don't think another Chrysler looking like this would become available at this price if I ever searched for one . I talked with the seller today and he is liquidating his Grandfathers cars he inherited.

And the more I stare at the black walls they just seem to be what is really meant for this cars color. The hubcaps only showcase the contrast of the black with the two tone green. Someone really cared a lot for this car. Look forward to being it's next caretaker

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I gave myself a loan this time around until I can sell the Z28.  It just doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling anymore driving it like the 40's and early 50's cars do. 

I stood back when it was 10600 and just said "darn it".   When it dropped to 9600 I leaned in a little closer and took a deeper gander at the pictures and said "hmmmmm".  When it went to 8600 I broke out the calculator and figured out how many cans of beenie weenies for lunch divided by tins of vienna sausages and cheap swill beer instead of steak and Hof Brau it would take to make it work. Then I looked at the Camaro and the math became easy.  I just don't think another Chrysler looking like this would become available at this price if I ever searched for one . I talked with the seller today and he is liquidating his Grandfathers cars he inherited.

And the more I stare at the black walls they just seem to be what is really meant for this cars color. The hubcaps only showcase the contrast of the black with the two tone green. Someone really cared a lot for this car. Look forward to being it's next caretaker

Seems like the important question to ask is whether or not there are any other cars to liquidate?  His prices on the last few seem very reasonable. 

20 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Numbers matching, never apart, 65k original miles, 350-4 speed.  working cowl induction. Factory tight suspension, T-tops that don't leak.  One repaint  in 83-84 (In total including trunk after deer ran into fender. GM replaced) AC works, heater core bypassed. Interior original, great shape. True survivor car down to air pump/smog.

20181202_144919.jpg

Looks to be in real nice condition.  Will have to see if I can convince the wife to like the colors, those are typically her least favorite.  :>(

2 minutes ago, cjp69 said:

Looks to be in real nice condition.  Will have to see if I can convince the wife to like the colors, those are typically her least favorite.  :>(

I am the third owner of the car and outside no cats on it anymore, everything else on it is as it left the factory. I was shocked when I opened the hood and saw a 1980 time capsule down to carb and smog pump.  I have a box of tune up parts and maintenance things to throw in as well like filters, etc.  When the car was repainted in 1983 they removed the torsion bar springs (cut off) for the trunk to get a proper paint job and never reinstalled them because they were worried of screwing up the paint. I said the same thing so they are included. NOS in the bag. Next guy can install if he wished. I use the 30 year old wood pole as they did. The trunk paint is as good as the rest of the car. Car was never undercoated so normal surface rust there. Never anywhere else. Has the original T-Top padded storage bags in excellent shape included. Some wear / stain on the drivers seat, original interior. Back side panels could use a touch up. I have the correct paint but decided against doing it myself. Only original once.  AC was converted. Only the clock doesn't work but they never did anyway. Was going to remove and install a repo factory look oil pressure gauge in it's place but again decided against it. 1980's cassette stereo in place of the original but nothing chopped up.

12 minutes ago, cjp69 said:

Getting that MoPar to replace the Camaro seems like a pretty good trade!

Looking where this last year 350- 4 speed (US) seems headed in demand I might be able to make it a 2 fer trade !  I would love a 1960 Phoenix or 60-62  big block Imperial. Guess I am getting old.  Looking at what I had in 1983 pictures I at first missed having a 12 second street car but then I remembered I don't miss breaking crap all the time and doing repairs all week just to drive it 4 hours on a saturday night.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1950 Chrysler Windsor Newport that had so many of us tied up in knots trying to figure out if selling a kidney would be enough, is due for delivery tonight. Spent much time on the phone with the owner who had inherited his grandfathers collection. Really looking forward to seeing this car for sure.

• Like 3