Old car bargains from around the Web

Well you would have the only one probably.  Very little love for 1950 Desotos.  I have a soft spot for them as it was the first project car I ever had.  A 1950 Coupe I paid I think $1000 for in 1990.  Probably too much money and i tore it apart to restore it.  Decent old cars were harder to find around 1990 than they are now especially in the Northeast in that budget range. 

Here is a 56 Olds Super 88 2 door hardtop.  Not a bad car for the money.  Wish they hadn't washed it and left it wet for the photos.  Hard to see exactly how good or bad the chrome is but it's a CA car which is a good start. 

Asking $9500 or make offer. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Oldsmobile-88/143546886512?hash=item216c0fa970:g:tsEAAOSwE-VeXJX4

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mercer09 said:

That fluid drive unit can be a royal PITA being leaky.  Can you still get the main seal rebuild kit?  The graphite ring?  I was lucky to score an entire tranny and fluid drive unit from a 49 desoto from French lake for my 46 dodge for 250 shipped to TX and it has not leaked a drop.  If this car was closer to TX I would take a chance on it.

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

You could break it a bit with a white top, without breaking the bank, although it is not unattractive as is.  2 door hardtop under $10k seems pretty good

I have the same car in an 88 (cheaper version) They are good road cars.   Lots of power.  They didn't call the engine the Olds rocket for nothing.  A little less metal to sling around than the 98 and even less in the 2 door hardtop than the 4 door sedan.  I was surprised the Engine looked so clean in the photos. 

It was an asking price of 9500 as well.  Maybe even 8500 would take it home.  If you could live with the color could be a good buy.  That's tri five chevy non turnkey Project money for a 2 door hardtop. 

• Like 1

I believe real buyers are checking CL (I know some disagree) yes, you need to wade through a couple dozen purple sedans with half done sbc conversions to see a decent car, but when a good car does come on and its reasonably priced, it often comes down soon.  I can only assume a responsible seller had success and closed the loop.  Olds is a great example.  

44 minutes ago, Bloo said:

The old cars have largely disappeared on Craigslist. I used to read it every day. Now, not so much.

I do a decades search for anything old for 20's-50's and you aren't kidding.  I bet I can count on two hands the total number of old cars listed in a 200 mile radius of me that are pre 60.  Many are regurgitated cars that keep coming getting listed.  That searches everything from barter to parts and even estate sales. 

I did when there was something to check. Not so much anymore. I believe when Craigs started charging, everything moved to Facebook, and I am not a member. I don't blame Craigs, as the spam was really getting out of control. Nevertheless, they killed it.

• Thanks 1

I check it daily.  Looking for Literature for my business as well as just cool old stuff.  I resist all temptation to add any guitars to my collection but came real close to adding a 52 Gibson at Christmas time. Fortunately the urge finally got beat out by common sense and a price bump by the seller after he was flooded with interest. 

Actually that Gibson was listed for $500.  

He jacked it up to 1500 by the time I called him.  I offered him $1000 as he needed the money to get his car back from the mechanic.   But he held out.   Not sure if he ever sold it.  It was a family heirloom thing.  I felt bad for him,  but really didn't need it. 

Of all my Guitars I find myself grabbing my Epiphone I paid $200 for at a garage sale most of the time. Good sound, feels comfortable and is always in tune.  It's the only one I don't store in a case so easy to grab as well. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

What model was it?

I don't even remember now as I see many for sale on Craigslist,  just the year stuck in my mind and it looked very clean and original with it's original case.  I recall seeing others,  at the time that I believe were the same model selling for around 2500 or so.  Atleast that was the asking on those.   It was a hollow body archtop electric.  I'm the furthest thing from an expert on any type of Guitars,  just like to play them a little and admire the sound of the couple of Gibsons I do have.  Like cars I only buy something different than what I already have.  Which I don't have one of those. My Gibsons are an Acoustic 6 and 12 string.  Last guitar I added was a copy of a National Tricone Resonator.  That's unfortunately a knock off as I didn't have the 2G and up to buy an original 30's National.  It's a very nice copy that got very good reviews when they were making it,  back about 10-15 years ago. They stopped making them about that time.  It's loud though and i play at night when the kids are in bed so I haven't had much chance to play it. Before that I picked up a Banjo and a Mandolin.  Those are newer knock offs as well.  If I start playing them much,  I'll upgrade.  I've seen alot of Gibson Mandolins from the 30's -40's for $500 or so. 

Would love to try a Martin.  Maybe some day. 

no, Ild prefer the Omega Speedmaster watch that one of the guys previously mentioned on a thread here. his was stolen.

heres a diddy for you- off topic. Buddy offered me his chronograph rolex when I was 23. said I could have it for 250.

they are going for 40k retail today...............

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I don't even remember now as I see many for sale on Craigslist,  just the year stuck in my mind and it looked very clean and original with it's original case.  I recall seeing others,  at the time that I believe were the same model selling for around 2500 or so.  Atleast that was the asking on those.   It was a hollow body archtop electric.  I'm the furthest thing from an expert on any type of Guitars,  just like to play them a little and admire the sound of the couple of Gibsons I do have.  Like cars I only buy something different than what I already have.  Which I don't have one of those. My Gibsons are an Acoustic 6 and 12 string.  Last guitar I added was a copy of a National Tricone Resonator.  That's unfortunately a knock off as I didn't have the 2G and up to buy an original 30's National.  It's a very nice copy that got very good reviews when they were making it,  back about 10-15 years ago. They stopped making them about that time.  It's loud though and i play at night when the kids are in bed so I haven't had much chance to play it. Before that I picked up a Banjo and a Mandolin.  Those are newer knock offs as well.  If I start playing them much,  I'll upgrade.  I've seen alot of Gibson Mandolins from the 30's -40's for $500 or so. 

Would love to try a Martin.  Maybe some day. 

The reason I ask is that I had a music store for many years and I found that Gibson was the brand that most often had vintage values that were misunderstood by the public, as in they thought they were worth more than they were actually worth. Gibson offered a very broad range of instruments, in a broad range of price points and quality levels. By contrast, Martin only did/does one thing  for the most part - flat top guitars - and made them only to a high level (up until the last twenty years or so when they also started making less expensive guitars with alternative construction techniques..sometimes outside of their Nazareth plant.)

People would come into my store with an old LGO or B-25 flat top Gibson and were pretty sure it was worth a couple thousand dollars, not understanding that those particular models were made to compete with the cheap American made guitars back in the '50's and '60's, like Harmony. Gibson also made high end acoustic and electric guitars, as well as carved top mandolins and banjos that can be worth small fortunes today (to the right buyers.) I'm assuming your Gibsons are the nice ones, but even the LGO's and B-25's are pretty cool and fun to play, just not worth what some of my customers thought they were.

Guitars and cars seem to go hand in hand. 

My Gibsons aren't old.  The 12 string is an imported one.  I guess they made some overseas and sent them here,  but it didn't work out because of duties or something like that. Sounds wonderful though.    It was a used gift from a friend anyways, as they had it and never really learned to play. (probably not the easiest guitar to learn on for a beginner anyways)  The other is 15? years old.  Regular flat top acoustic.  That one I looked up and bought it because I liked it and the sound is incredible compared to the cheap 6 string I was learning on.  Again I paid about half what I have seen them actually selling for from a friend.  It's still my most expensive guitar but I'm not much of a collector.  I like their sound.  That's why I bought them.  Probably why I was being cheap about that Gibson.  I save my money for cars.  

No one hears me play anyways.  The wife doesn't like guitar music or music in general for that matter. (honestly,  I know hard to believe as I have music of all types playing all the time) 

I wish I had some buddies to hang out with that liked to Jam.  That seems like it would be a fun time. 

I've been told I have a tolerable voice so it's a double bummer to sing and play guitar to yourself. 

Here is another of those Mopar Bargains if you can live with green.

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/d/minoa-1949-dodge-coronet/7089104873.html

1949 Dodge Coronet - $6800 (Minoa)

Bought from the original owner Has been very well taken care of starts right up and drives. New interior recent front end work. Straight 6, 3 speed power glide hydromatic. Hate to see it go. Stored in heated garage

00Z0Z_1W5MPkrlNrc_600x450.jpg

00202_jJ0bgmnvaWr_600x450-1.jpg

00Q0Q_kwUcFsS3tYk_600x450-1.jpg

• Like 3

I am guessing he either means fluid drive or something from a later car ?   On the FB plymouth boards this would chopped and destroyed in a heartbeat.  There is complete 6 motor's, trans, rears, radiators yanked from running cars like this posted weekly. Just passed on a rear and trans and motor for 400 bucks. Looks like a nice car for the price. If it isn't original paint you could break up the green with a roof contrast like Chrysler did. Too bad not closer to TX.

This kind of seems like a bit of a deal to me , especially if you like oddball 50's wagons.  Looks in really good shape.  Would look better if they had done the seats in maroon as well.  Looks like real nice paint and chrome as well as a very sanitary interior. 

Asking $12,500

I know I haven't seen many of these for sale over the last few years and none in this shape in this price range.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/816503775514174/

Spring is in the air first time offered fresh out of Texas. 1951 Plymouth Savoy two-door wagon. 3 speed column shift Flathead 6 cylinder very rare, very dependable for more information on this vehicle or other antique cars call Gary [hidden information] Cars located in Auburn at Brook Motors 603 Southbridge Street

88988854_2769960146422651_5275142179419848704_n.jpg

89297100_2769960103089322_6157579365417746432_n.jpg

89484649_2769960263089306_7802435098279673856_n.jpg

89196729_2769960309755968_4936626493670293504_n.jpg

89410315_2769960369755962_4267572800585203712_n.jpg

• Like 5