auburnseeker

Old car bargains from around the Web

I am working on getting a 1931 Franklin right now but for the past week we have been playing phone tag. It is a club members car that is in very good condition not needing much of anything.  But I have competition. Looking at 4 door sedans but can persuaded otherwise if it just grabs me.  Budget is at 24-26 k max which tells me I can get one great car or two decent drivers.  (That Ajax posted on here was very tempting) I have my sights set on a Franklin though. If that happens to be a coupe then if enough is left over I can look at a lesser 4 door sedan of other makes or a lesser Franklin. I know I can get a very good semi-project running and driving 4 door Franklin right now in the 11-13 range.

I'll keep my eyes open.  I would bet the one I saw last year had been a club car at some point as it was in Central NY and there is a big Franklin following out there. 

• Like 1

Ok not necessarily a bargain,  but this would be a good start for a Franklin guy that wants to restore one,  Or maybe put it back together and use it,  Price seems very realistic.  Might even be alot of original paint still left. 

https://hartford.craigslist.org/atq/d/shelton-antique-car-1929-franklin-model/6926844319.html

Antique Car: 1929 Franklin Model 135 Sports Sedan - $2340 (Shelton)

I'm listing this car for my 87 year old father-in-law. Photo is vintage image of new '29 Franklin, Model 135 Sports Sedan - but the car is has been partially disassembled for renovation. Includes some new, reconditioned and extra parts/literature. 3rd owner. He's had it housed inside for over 50 years - with the intention of rebuilding/refinishing. No rust. Original wood floor boards. He has all parts and supporting documentation. 

01414_cQ9nVvk4Ham_600x450.jpg

00P0P_13sUR2DfNL3_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_dnQPOQzqBVR_600x450.jpg

00C0C_cKBxysO7fBN_600x450.jpg

00y0y_gfQYjoBXsYR_600x450-1.jpg

00p0p_CCG8tTpOEu_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

So the car is free.  Generally I say NO to 1/2 finished projects,  but that is a good looking body.  Dietrich?  Derham?

• Like 1

I don't really have a certain PA in mind.

As for budget? I guess I am willing to pay a reasonable price. Let me know if the one you mentioned gets priced.

I don't want a project.

Understand the project end.  I wouldn't have posted this Franklin but it does look promising in an attractive style and isn't a field car like some of the others discussed.  I think the price is $2340 but that's an odd number.   It's also listed under antiques and not cars so most people won't find it there.  I only found it doing my morning Literature search for my business because it comes with a bunch of literature / repair manuals.  

Posted (edited)

I don't relish the idea of another reassembly project but I'd be tempted by that one if it was local and I actually had a place to put it and work on it. The real problem is that a dismantled car takes up 4 times the space of an assembled one. Still, there are advantages. You get to examine every part and, if it needs it, fix things before they break and by the time you are done you can say (to quote an old time RR guy) "those cars don't have any secrets from me."

Edit: I now see that it is sort of local. Hartford is not far from me. It's a good thing I don't have a garage!

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

I know a couple grand ain't alot of money for even a project.  One could probably part it out or use it as a parts cor at that price.  I iamgine parts aren't hot for selling of these but those front fenders look pretty darn nice as does the engine assembly.  It's not some boat anchor.  If it was a 36 or 37 Cord I would probably be on the road right now. 

As long as it isn't missing the part made of unobtanium.  It helps a lot if the project car is something you know.   The flips side is that when you are done you will be an expert on 29 Franklin.

• Thanks 1

1929 was the first year for Franklin to have a steel chassis.

• Like 2

Jack, I have a nice 1931 PA close coupled sedan that I would consider selling- if I could upgrade to a roadster or phaeton.

PM me with what you are looking for specifically.  Will be home next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

1929 was the first year for Franklin to have a steel chassis.

A little side note. The 1928 long wheelbase cars were the first to have a steel chassis. All 1929 cars had a steel chassis 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, 29 franklin said:

A little side note. The 1928 long wheelbase cars were the first to have a steel chassis. All 1929 cars had a steel chassis 

Thanks for that lesson. I had no idea they did that.

Full Classic?  Challenge is if fam can round up all parts.  I would ask to look in basement and any outbuildings...

Years ago a friend bought a 1932 Plymouth PB convertible coupe in baskets. It took him three trips to bring the car home from out of state. He never got around to putting the car together and sold the project to someone else. That owner started assembling the car only to find out that the whole dash board was missing. It was not in the piles of parts that my friend brought home. By the way not only was the dash board exclusive to 1932, it was exclusive to the convertible coupe. This guy tried every contact he had, tried Hemmings, tried everything. Finally in desperation he contacted the second owner back. The widow of that owner told him that that very week she had found some old car parts under the bed and was just about to get rid of them.T he PB owner got her address, hung up the phone and told his wife that he would be back in a day or so and left right that moment. Turns out the widow had the dash board and several other parts for the car. Somewhere there is a lesson in this story. Zeke

• Like 5

Sounds like the owner is still alive,  which might be a bonus if he is still with it.  

Also I would have checked to see if major components like a Dash board was there if I was buying an unusual car.  Obviously one could miss a gauge or some bolts but the whole dash panel is kind of a biggy.  Good thing as well is it looks like this might be the only car he restored,  so all he has is for this car,  unlike others where you get lots of parts for other cars they had that don't fit yours. 

Either way I wasn't touting this as the buy of the day,  just maybe an opportunity for someone to pick up a decent looking project or a really good parts car.  With such a good looking body it would be a shame ot build a speedster out of it,  but I have seen alot of them built from worse and less. 

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Full Classic?  Challenge is if fam can round up all parts.  I would ask to look in basement and any outbuildings...

yes it is a Full Classic. It is a  deal . I would be all over it but too many projects right now 

I wouldn't call it a bargain at $26k but take a minute to look at the pics of this unbelievable '52 Nash Ambassador which was just put on Hemmings yesterday. It's 67 years old and only has 24k original miles on it. The interior is all original but it looks like it was completely redone last week. There's not a spot of rust on it and the original paint looks great too. Look at the pic of the inside of the glove compartment. They sure don't make them like that anymore. Plus the seller says every single thing on the car works. His writeup on the car is one of the best from a private party that I've ever seen. As you guys know a car can only be original once and this has got to be one of the finest examples of a 1952 model of any make in this condition. Wow!

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/nash/ambassador/2290867.html 

67389544-770-0@2X.jpg

• Like 1

No Franklin projects for me as I am brand new to a Franklin.  Now if I had a complete car and a project comes up a year later I would think about it because of having a guide to go off of.  At least the motor and trans are intact but you can spend a solid day with a couple helpers laying every part of the linkage and suspension and just doing hardware check off's.  I have never taken a car apart down to the bare bones like this and you can only hope the guy who did it had super OCD and bagged and labeled everything

On 7/5/2019 at 11:00 AM, alsancle said:

So the car is free.  Generally I say NO to 1/2 finished projects,  but that is a good looking body.  Dietrich?  Derham?

It is the standard 1929 Walker built Club Sedan (his first photo on the craigslist site is not the car in the rest of the photos) - a very good looking car and my guess not more than 20 of them.  Get a set of wire wheels (not a difficult project excepting chrome hubcaps are pretty scare and I do not believe currently reproduced) for it and they get very stunning looking quickly.  

Occasionally an average somewhat interesting car is outstanding based on condition alone.  The Nash certainly seems to fit the bill.

• Like 2

Hopefully we don't scare any newbees away when they hit the NASH, not understanding what it is and why it might be worth the asking price when they see a 52 Nash for 25G under the Bargain section of the new old car site they just found. ;) 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, mercer09 said:

Jack, I have a nice 1931 PA close coupled sedan that I would consider selling- if I could upgrade to a roadster or phaeton.

PM me with what you are looking for specifically.  Will be home next week.

I just happen to have a phaeton.

Kidding, I will message you.

Got pics?

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 006.JPG

• Like 1

Ok not necessarily a bargain for the Newbee but if you have been looking fior a 57 Chevy 2 door hardtop.  This is about the cheapest one i have seen in this shape. 

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/d/liverpool-1957-chevy-bel-air-2dr-hart/6928749323.html

1957 Chevy Bel Air 2dr Hart top - $29000 (clay)

1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr hard top 3 Speed manual ( 3 on the tree ) 283 4 barrel. Turquoise Car has been keeped orginal as possiable, Great Condition, a must see 315-246-0862 ( Bill )

00S0S_dkJIwnzT0ZM_600x450.jpg

On 7/6/2019 at 5:22 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Occasionally an average somewhat interesting car is outstanding based on condition alone.  The Nash certainly seems to fit the bill.

Yes that is an exceptional original piece of 1952 Americana,  Kenosha style!  Great interior, Post war aerodynamics, but a bit high in price???