Old car bargains from around the Web

To start with none of these cars are mine.  

I constantly find what seem like deals around the web on usually entry level type cars and have always thought I should start a thread to expose them to others that might not see them.  Especially the newer guys and gals that only see overpriced wrecks for sale. 

I've occasionally posted various deals on here but I'll contain them to one thread now.  Anyone else feel free to post additional ads and critique anything I post.

Not everything will be entry level as I find what seems like deals on all level cars but I'll focus mainly on that.  

I'm also not much of a 70's and newer type car guy so most of the stuff will be 50's and older. 

Today's entry is a 46 Dodge 2 door Sedan for $2000 OBO

Not sure what it needs but at 2 grand,  they don't get much cheaper with paint and an interior you won't be afraid to sit it in. 

I see the sunvisor but the tire I can see doesn't look like a white wall.  If the engine is good and the tranny works , even if you have to do brakes,  you could be driving this for possibly under 3 grand.  That's about as entry level as you can get on a budget when talking 50's and older cars. 

https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/d/pawtucket-how-about-owning-an-old-timer/6925022145.html

1946 Dodge Custom Sedan . . . white wall tires . . . mahogany in color . . . all original parts . . . flathead six cylinder engine . . . split hood . . . shade visor . . . fluid drive--drive via three speed manual transmission on the column or shift into third gear and drive as if the car had an automatic transmission. Red naugahyde-covered seats--the rest of the interior is original. Needs work . . . car cover, some tools . . . $2,000 or best offer.

00000_cASlEA8z3CX_600x450.jpg

00X0X_gVeUvEZlWIA_600x450.jpg

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, JACK M said:

OR, the seller is in the real world.

We need to recognize how precipitous the drop in $$$ is on most pre 1955 cars is. Just check out some final prices at the recent RM/Sotheby’s Spring Auburn auction:  Hupmobile Skylark $15,400; 1924 Haynes Touring $10,560. There are many more that went for low $$ such as a nice Terreplane 8 Coupe and a ‘50 Stude Champ convert, both really nice cars.

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Could be an estate type deal as well.  Where the relatives just want it gone so they can move on.  Since you are getting some tools as well,  sounds more like they are just done with it.   Careful or you might end up with a whole garage full of stuff before you leave that you really don't need either. 

I would also make a side note that one rarely scams with a 46 Dodge tudor sedan needing some work.   Maybe a 55 Chevy belair or a 67 Camaro,  but a 46 Dodge ,  chances are pretty slim. 

It is on three area craigslists all with the same address though and the same price.   I would have been happy to find something like this when I first started.  First car was a 50 Desoto coupe in worse shape I started to restore but never finished,  Before we had the advice of people on web sites like this to leave them alone and drive them, for $1250.  That was almost 30 years ago before the net when not much was available at all reasonable in the lower prices.   

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Makes me think of my first car, a 41 Ply two door sedan purchased in 77 for I believe $450.  We did brakes, axle seals, tires from Sears, green plaid seatcovers and Wala, off to a local show.  I was 14 and a hobbyist!  😊  I think that car could be a lot of fun if not confused as an investment.  Anyone know an interested teenager??!

• Like 1

Depending on the chrome and how good the paint is,  as well as what you really need to do to it,  I think one wouldn't lose any money and have alot of fun.  You might even make a couple of bucks in the meantime, if you casually have it for sale as you are having fun with it.  Then you move on to the next car.  I think that's how alot of us got to where we are car wise today.  As I said 50 Desoto coupe, sold to my Dad for a slight profit after I did a bunch of work on it,  then put money with it and bought my 56 Olds, which I never tore apart and still have.

I remember a 49 Plymouth club coupe I had that I did the same with.  Played with it a bit,  replaced some chrome,  cleaned it up,  drove it a bunch one summer and sold it for a small profit. 

Here is a Model T I saw a few days ago.  They don't get much cheaper in a running driving T.  Now yes I see some flaws,  but nothing that would stop one from having some fun.  

There was a new member about a year ago that wanted an old touring car but didn't want to spend over 3G.

This is probably as close as one can come. 

They are asking $5500 and say it starts and runs well. 

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/d/marlborough-1924-ford-model/6921228547.html

nice running 1924 Model T touring car. Nice original condition. Starts every time

00404_8DhBacFvAz5_600x450.jpg

00i0i_gpgbuwnt6nO_600x450.jpg

01111_hNLnU3SGHoj_600x450.jpg

00n0n_jYvz1Yh4VIz_600x450.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

We need to recognize how precipitous the drop in $$$ is on most pre 1955 cars is. Just check out some final prices at the recent RM/Sotheby’s Spring Auburn auction:  Hupmobile Skylark $15,400; 1924 Haynes Touring $10,560. There are many more that went for low $$ such as a nice Terreplane 8 Coupe and a ‘50 Stude Champ convert, both really nice cars.

Many of those prices are surprisingly low. Is this the new normal ?

Greg in Canada

• Like 2

These are the exceptions.  Still comparable cars advertised for 2 to 5 times as much.  They don't seem to be selling though.  Seems all the cars I find,  though within a 200 mile radius are 4 to 5  hours away by road each way.  Otherwise,  I might go and look at something like that Dodge. 

I think there are many more exceptions than we realize. There were 14 (!) cars in that particular auction that were what I consider very good deals or waaaay underpriced. Perhaps because the auction was in the Midwest there were not as many big money guys there.

I ended up selling my 1948 Packard Station Sedan this spring for 60% of what I was asking and I thought I was below market at my asking.

BTW my first “old” car was a 1946 Dodge D-24 DeLuxe Coupe. Always loved the Mopars from that era.

• Like 1

Especially when you figure many of the cars that make Craigslist,  were just purchased for less and are being flipped.  I don't mind if a guy flips a car but it's really annoying if they do nothing but hang a huge price on it.  I usually get one , do brakes and tires, detail it out nicely , which often includes wet sanding and buffing much of the car, and fix the little stupid stuff the last guy never did.  It's only worth more because I added value and brought the car up a notch in condition.   Most are ready to use when they leave my shop.  I do silicone in the brakes as well,  so the next guy wont have to worry about it.   

Now here is an A Coupe that just popped up.  This is a deal if it runs half as good as it looks even with the Fiberglass fenders.  for $8000 firm. 

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/saddle-river-1931-ford-model-coupe/6925595237.html

1931 Ford Model A Coupe - $8000 (Upper Saddle River)

1931 Ford Model A Coupe with jump seat. Complete restore about 10 years ago. Runs, brakes bled, new 6v Battery. Running boards and fenders are fiberglass not original. Family member passed away and now selling it. Garaged and in great shape. Price is firm

01212_iTY1NY4kiUt_600x450.jpg

00I0I_aqLbySHTlrU_600x450.jpg

00R0R_9YasbDh79IE_600x450.jpg

00I0I_ku4vgaxVcTQ_600x450.jpg

• Like 6

I saw that but figured it may have been converted to Hydraulic.  Not that uncommon.  They are selling for a family member that passed so don't expect they are as knowledgable as the original owner.  Even the owner's of cars don't know much about their cars as we have seen here. 

The fact they mentioned the rumble seat is a jump seat tells you something about the seller's knowledge. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Often there is a huge discrepancy between asked and actual price, especially on craigslist. It’s a myth that high asked prices are inflexible or non-negotiable. Sure, some folks are dreamers but many  just don’t know the market and quickly recalibrate expectations if they are motivated sellers. If not, why bother with them?

• Like 1

It was fun searching.  Might as well pass along what I see.  I still keep an eye out for an all original car.  If the right one comes along,  I'll be sure to let you know.

If anyone else has any realistic requests,  let me know.  No I can't find you a matching numbers 67 Big Block Vette for 5G but if you know current trending values and give me some idea of what you like,  especially if you have a little flex to what you will consider let me know and I'll gladly keep my eyes open and pass along only things that fit that criteria within whatever budget range you specify.  Also an area you are willing to buy from would really help.

I didn't spot anything great today or yesterday so no fresh treats for the thread. 

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

1928-33 Franklin in case the deal I am working on now falls through. Then I have a couple "plan B's " in the works.  Maybe another 9k deal is lurking out there.

There was a very very nice sedan on craigslist last fall.  I think maybe a 29.  Boy it was in the upper teens but wow,  the interior and chrome looked Very impressive, The wood graining was spectacular, and was said to be an excellent driver.  The only real flaw was a paint problem on one door.  Not rust,  but some peeling.  The rest of the paint was fine with no checking.   I was even thinking of how to buy it and I'm not a sedan man.  Maybe that was all it was worth but I find it hard to believe.  It only lasted about 2 weeks and was late in the fall. 

I do know of a Pierce arrow Roadster that's coming on the market.  I'm sure it's the small series, If I recall maybe a 1931.  I expressed some interest in it. It's part of a small collection of really nice cars,  but I couldn't get any prices out of the seller, an older gent,  that wants to meet and talk.  Problem is he's 4 hours plus away and I really don't have the cash to do too much until I sell the 40 Ford coupe, which I just started finishing up yesterday.  He had a couple of other cars as well I was interested in but without prices I don't want to waste any one's time.  

Now what are both your budgets and what body styles do you not want? 

I am working on getting a 1931 Franklin right now but for the past week we have been playing phone tag. It is a club members car that is in very good condition not needing much of anything.  But I have competition. Looking at 4 door sedans but can persuaded otherwise if it just grabs me.  Budget is at 24-26 k max which tells me I can get one great car or two decent drivers.  (That Ajax posted on here was very tempting) I have my sights set on a Franklin though. If that happens to be a coupe then if enough is left over I can look at a lesser 4 door sedan of other makes or a lesser Franklin. I know I can get a very good semi-project running and driving 4 door Franklin right now in the 11-13 range.

Ok not necessarily a bargain,  but this would be a good start for a Franklin guy that wants to restore one,  Or maybe put it back together and use it,  Price seems very realistic.  Might even be alot of original paint still left. 

https://hartford.craigslist.org/atq/d/shelton-antique-car-1929-franklin-model/6926844319.html

Antique Car: 1929 Franklin Model 135 Sports Sedan - $2340 (Shelton)

I'm listing this car for my 87 year old father-in-law. Photo is vintage image of new '29 Franklin, Model 135 Sports Sedan - but the car is has been partially disassembled for renovation. Includes some new, reconditioned and extra parts/literature. 3rd owner. He's had it housed inside for over 50 years - with the intention of rebuilding/refinishing. No rust. Original wood floor boards. He has all parts and supporting documentation. 

01414_cQ9nVvk4Ham_600x450.jpg

00P0P_13sUR2DfNL3_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_dnQPOQzqBVR_600x450.jpg

00C0C_cKBxysO7fBN_600x450.jpg

00y0y_gfQYjoBXsYR_600x450-1.jpg

00p0p_CCG8tTpOEu_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

I don't really have a certain PA in mind.

As for budget? I guess I am willing to pay a reasonable price. Let me know if the one you mentioned gets priced.

I don't want a project.

Understand the project end.  I wouldn't have posted this Franklin but it does look promising in an attractive style and isn't a field car like some of the others discussed.  I think the price is $2340 but that's an odd number.   It's also listed under antiques and not cars so most people won't find it there.  I only found it doing my morning Literature search for my business because it comes with a bunch of literature / repair manuals.  

I don't relish the idea of another reassembly project but I'd be tempted by that one if it was local and I actually had a place to put it and work on it. The real problem is that a dismantled car takes up 4 times the space of an assembled one. Still, there are advantages. You get to examine every part and, if it needs it, fix things before they break and by the time you are done you can say (to quote an old time RR guy) "those cars don't have any secrets from me."

Edit: I now see that it is sort of local. Hartford is not far from me. It's a good thing I don't have a garage!

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

I know a couple grand ain't alot of money for even a project.  One could probably part it out or use it as a parts cor at that price.  I iamgine parts aren't hot for selling of these but those front fenders look pretty darn nice as does the engine assembly.  It's not some boat anchor.  If it was a 36 or 37 Cord I would probably be on the road right now. 

28 minutes ago, 29 franklin said:

A little side note. The 1928 long wheelbase cars were the first to have a steel chassis. All 1929 cars had a steel chassis 

Thanks for that lesson. I had no idea they did that.

Years ago a friend bought a 1932 Plymouth PB convertible coupe in baskets. It took him three trips to bring the car home from out of state. He never got around to putting the car together and sold the project to someone else. That owner started assembling the car only to find out that the whole dash board was missing. It was not in the piles of parts that my friend brought home. By the way not only was the dash board exclusive to 1932, it was exclusive to the convertible coupe. This guy tried every contact he had, tried Hemmings, tried everything. Finally in desperation he contacted the second owner back. The widow of that owner told him that that very week she had found some old car parts under the bed and was just about to get rid of them.T he PB owner got her address, hung up the phone and told his wife that he would be back in a day or so and left right that moment. Turns out the widow had the dash board and several other parts for the car. Somewhere there is a lesson in this story. Zeke

• Like 5