Old car bargains from around the Web

Newer cars are easy to find.  Older ones are generally the ones people come here to ask advice about and where to get them.   Every car has something to offer a potential owner.  I post cars that fit my interest which are quite broad but peter out in the early 70's as Detroit kind of lost their groove about that time.   Yes i can appreciate a near spotless later model vehicle,  just because it was kept so well.  It's nothing I want to own,  so why would I waste my time wading through thousands of ads for cars that don't stimulate my interest whatsoever?  Even alot of 60's cars do nothing for me,  but since they fall in my search criteria looking for the few that do,  I post them here. 

You are more than welcome to add later model stuff,  but it might be best to start a new thread just so guys won't have to wade through piles of more recent iron to find the older stuff as I imagine you would find alot more than I do to post in that under 10 grand range. 

as it is,  we've veered a few times but most of those looking at recently posted won't have to wade through the earlier stuff. 

• Like 1

Most of them are good value buys too but that Grand Prix was so hard to look at and I sure hope no one posts anything after 72 myself.

I'm sorry but from the early 70s to early 2000s make my eyes bleed. I know we have folks on here that love them but by the time the 80s rolled around I was so tired of seeing anything built after 72 (all the same - no style garbage) it's hard to think of anything since 72 as being fun and enjoyable or worth the money (excluding the Hellcat of course). 

Finally some Model A's that are priced accordingly, that's reassuring (and about time to be quite frank). They've always been so plentiful (and repop parts galore) so I'm shocked every time I see one over $10k but I digress...

I've got 1972 as my cut off year for my daily Craigslist search because of the Chevy Blazer 4x4. When done up in triple black it's hard to not count a 72 Blazer as a desirable nostalgic piece.

Example:

https://www.admcars.com/1970-chevrolet-blazer-4wd-houndstooth-4-speed-c-829.htm?sold=Available&

I found this 57 Cadillac locally that I thought had some potential. I'm not a fan of Caddy's but this one looks like might have some value for someone mainly because it's very complete and original plus the AZ dry air.... Maybe the Cadillac community can chime in on it? Someone will flip it I'm sure of it. My guess is $5500-6000 will buy it.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/tempe-1957-cadillac-coupe-deville/6922829298.html

00C0C_8xKshFQ9bhS_1200x900.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I saw that and though seems to be a bargain,  I didn't cross post it as seems most the guys looking for their first car seem to be short on cash and big on desire.   Might be cruel for them to look at the caviar but tell them all they can afford is the tapioca. ;) 

• Haha 1

For something a little different how about this 1926 Ajax.  With rebuilt engine on the road for just under 6G.  Probably not a bargain of any sort but definitely different. 

https://nh.craigslist.org/atq/d/new-hampton-1926-ajax-car/6917784097.html

1926 Ajax 4 dr. sedan Engine with less than 50 hr after rebuild. All new interior. This car was manufactured for 2 years and then they changed the name to the Nash light six because it did nor sell well with the Ajax name. 
Car is 100% complete and registered and running on the road. Needs a new fabric top. Body work and paint. I also have an Ajax jack that goes with the car. See pic. NO Emails Call Chuck at 603-Two, one, seven 7234 

00P0P_jCF39Z2x0u3_600x450.jpg

00d0d_8jRd0a3YGP6_600x450.jpg

00V0V_55WMt6y9llr_600x450.jpg

Didn't want to post on guy's listing but I think the 37 Ford tudor posted elsewhere here would have been a hot deal say 5 years ago, at his price.  Today a road ready tudor v8 can be had under $20k.  Maybe they will adjust after seeing the market.   That said, what's left to do on that one doesn't seem like too high of a mountain..

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 10:01 AM, auburnseeker said:

I saw that and though seems to be a bargain,  I didn't cross post it as seems most the guys looking for their first car seem to be short on cash and big on desire.   Might be cruel for them to look at the caviar but tell them all they can afford is the tapioca. ;) 

Hillarious, not sure how I missed this. Well, if one appreciates the Peerless, perhaps the Ajax is more budget friendly.  You won't see yourself at the local car show for sure.  I am aware of an older restoration, 30 Marquette two door sedan that maybe $10k gets.  Same attributes but has not been an easy sell.  Reasonably attractive car though...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I know this car isn't going to excite many but if it's half as good as it looks,  it's a good buy.  Maybe not a bargain,  but wow there is something about all original cars that just makes even the humble  4 door base sedan stand out. 

Unfortunately the pictures are crappy and look better in the ad (less grainy)

No cracks in the wheel The dash even sparkles even though the chrome still needing a good cleaning. 

Good thing it's not in my neighborhood as I have just enough laying around I would be tempted to buy it. 

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/elizabeth-1949-desoto-deluxe/6940411106.html

1949 DESOTO DELUXE - $6500 (ELIZABETH, NEW JERSEY)

1949 DESOTO DELUXE 30,500 ORIGINAL MILES, ONE OWNER, 3 ON THE TREE, RUNS GOOD, BEAUTIFUL CAR, ORIGINAL BOOKS, MANUEL, AND TIRE IN THE TRUNK, INTERIOR ORIGINAL, ORIGINAL PAINT AND CHROME. $6,500 CALL 347 525 4390

00o0o_20g487G0xPB_600x450.jpg

00U0U_1Ur1wp3gcjV_600x450.jpg

00X0X_lpZHTaEIncA_600x450.jpg

00d0d_1DHorhDeKnc_600x450.jpg

00W0W_30yckUNFAuq_600x450.jpg

00K0K_22MuQ4irUZp_600x450.jpg

Manuel is in the trunk?!  Hopefully someone lets him out!!  😉😀 (For the record I freely admit to being in the lower range in terms of spelling and grammer, but I couldn't resist...)

Oh the deal, yes sound... 😊

This DeSoto is what is so great about the hobby.  There are cars out there  available for people who  want to get into the ground floor.. Not everyone needs, or can afford a 1957 Chevrolet Nomad, or a 1930 Packard 745 to enjoy what we do.. I see several people on this blog  saying the DeSoto isn't for them, well  then it isn't.  But it can be a terrific car for someone who wants to enter our great hobby. There are a lot of bargains out there. Thanks. John

• Like 2

One of my first cars / restoration attempts was a 50 Coupe.  Never got it on the road.  As I said as unexciting as this is for most,  I could appreciate it for what it is if it really is all original. 

Thankfully far enough away that I don't have to worry about looking at it and then struggling over the decision to buy it and what to do with it as it's really something I don't need. 

• Like 1

Not sure if this is a bargain and yes it's not pristine,  I know pretty good ones sell at the 10 G range.  This at nearly half feels a bit like alot for the money as long as you don't mind the yellow color.  

One thing that bothers me is ads listed on a website that requires a computer to post them then the guy says no emails.   So you talk to the guy for an hour on the phone and it's a cell phone with a crappy connection so you only get half of what he's saying as he paces in and out of service on the other end,  half the time never learn more than 3 more photos would show that take less than a minute to email.  If it does get down to needing extra photos,  you have to try to get the email address across the phone which half the time comes out wrong and if not immediately rejected,  you think the other party got the email when it never weent to them because the address was wrong.   Or has this only happened to me? 

https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/enfield-1960-amc-metropolitan-nash/6942981683.html

1960 AMC METROPOLITAN NASH CONVERT - $5900 (ENFIELD, NH)

4 CYLINDER 3 SPEED, CLEAN LITTLE CAR AND VERY SOLID WITH NEW TOP AND INTERIOR, RUNS AND DRIVES, HAS A CLEAN TITLE.VIN # E78061 CALLS ONLY WILL NOT ANSWER EMAILS. 603-491-0031. WE HAVE 50 MORE CLASSIC CARS TO SELL WITH A WIDE RANGE OF PRICING, NO TRADES

01212_6AiXiGyCngh_600x450.jpg

00N0N_dBMdeiMNmaw_600x450.jpg

00L0L_db0fBlsQEsD_600x450.jpg

00o0o_g3HkjKSggwl_600x450.jpg

00e0e_8Wdxn8TjVFG_600x450.jpg

I'm not much on late 60's iron but boy this sure looks good for the Money.  Not sure what the huge stain on the floor is,  but I have seen cars a quarter this nice for more money and it's a convertible. 

1969 Cougar Convertible for $5000. Look at the interior and chrome, plus if you are into these a slew of extra parts. 

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/west-lebanon-1969-cougar-convertible/6943396368.html

1969 Cougar Convertible & Parts - $5000 (West Lebanon) 

69 Cougar Convertible and Large lot of parts, including hood, trunk lid, tinted windows, bumpers, rocker mouldings, 2 sets of taillights, grille, complete dash with good pad, a/c equipment, nos rear quarter for hardtop, seats, door panels, etc etc.

00L0L_6f1HrrFe9gO_600x450.jpg

00909_8T5d412QzP8_600x450.jpg

01010_adTePKcpCvz_600x450.jpg

00s0s_ccI6cN3MToa_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Even if it needed some engine work.  That looks like a whole lot of nice paint and bodywork/ chrome trim for 5 G.  And it's a convertible. Usually you can't touch anything in a drop top that looks this good from before 1970 for under 10G.  Regardless of make.

These are out of my realm as far as values but my gut said I should post it.  

• Like 1

My 65 Fury convertible is a ton of fun with it's little 318 poly motor.  Mid to late 60's convertibles are climbing in value. For some reason Mopar's more so.  Cougars of this vintage just get very over looked.   Runner up to Mustangs and Camaro's.  80's cars just the same.  My 65 k all original survivor 1980 Z28 with 4 speed people just walk right past , "ho hum a camaro that isn't a 1969"

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I know cougars have always been overlooked,  I just figured hey a guy getting into the hobby could have a drop top 60's V8 for 5 grand that looks pretty darn good from the photos.  Now if it were a Mustang in the same shape with a 6 cylinder they would want 15 G for it.  add another 5 for V8. 

You actually might get more looks with this than the Mustang as well. 

• Like 1

I know guys that have actually stopped taking their mustangs to shows anymore because everyone has one. They have gotten dull. And they are always red or black.  I can park my 46 Dodge "bomber" coupe way out under a tree and folks will walk the empty yards between just to get a "smell" of it.  I am treating her to new shocks this weekend.  Bomber?  I was asked one day by a guy with kids what color it is.  "Bombardier Blue!" I said.  The one kid responded calling it "The Blue Bomber" and it has been that ever since.

• Like 2

I had a beat up '50 Buick Special 4 Door Jetback, stick. It looked like the wrath of God and drew car people like flies on...well, you know. I paid $850 for it in the 80s and it ran like a swiss watch.  I'd love to have another...So yes, different is good. 

NOT MINE.   I would call this a bargain if all is true.  If it was closer I would have already bought and use as a daily.  Too bad it left TX. Sounds like it was right around the corner from me when he came and got it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Packard-Deluxe-Eight-Clipper-Deluxe/293149500263?_trkparms=aid%3D888008%26algo%3DDISC.CARDS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D59000%26meid%3Deee2ff16790a424da045eb53b1b003b0%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D223601546545%26itm%3D293149500263%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)

Maybe?  Not running and what looks like damp storage from the "tarp" he had it under is really a shame.  Here is a word to anyone buying an old car.  Make sure you can keep it inside,  unless you live in one of those very few places in the country where it's arid but not too sunny or it will look like this in short order.  Especially since he said it was in a garage until he brought it to Washington.  Must have been the part that gets all the rain.   Wish they would of sold it before they let it go to hell. 

• Like 1

Not sure whether this is really a bargain but I know how rabid you Buick guys are.  Here is a 40 Sedan that looks pretty darn good under the dust with a very servicable all be it even decent interior for $4500 OBO. 

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/rotterdam-junction-1940-buick/6948309893.html

1940 Buick Super Model 51, 4 door sedan. Found in my Fathers barn. Also extra engine. $4500. OBO

00F0F_6nPAbZCLAsO_600x450.jpg

00N0N_7Tb7CZTuJqa_600x450.jpg

00K0K_fLuIrXjuJCx_600x450.jpg

00303_j94dJMvYWyY_600x450.jpg

00a0a_9Vw5reatxOE_600x450.jpg

00K0K_ejo27VVwl08_600x450.jpg

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Not sure whether this is really a bargain but I know how rabid you Buick guys are.  Here is a 40 Sedan that looks pretty darn good under the dust with a very servicable all be it even decent interior for $4500 OBO. 

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/rotterdam-junction-1940-buick/6948309893.html

1940 Buick Super Model 51, 4 door sedan. Found in my Fathers barn. Also extra engine. $4500. OBO

00F0F_6nPAbZCLAsO_600x450.jpg

00N0N_7Tb7CZTuJqa_600x450.jpg

00K0K_fLuIrXjuJCx_600x450.jpg

00303_j94dJMvYWyY_600x450.jpg

00a0a_9Vw5reatxOE_600x450.jpg

00K0K_ejo27VVwl08_600x450.jpg

This, in my opinion is the prettiest of the 40 Buick sedans. Oh to have a huge barn!