auburnseeker

Old car bargains from around the Web

$1500 for this running driving pre-big bumper MK. IV Lincoln Cont. (albeit with a bad vinyl top) seems like a very low price. Not much rust and lower miles. But needs work and  there seems to be the standard eBay seller laziness/stupidity/dishonesty/whatever regarding the title. I actually like the pre-big bumper MK. IV's better than the MK. III's (which I like a lot.) And they're rarer.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

Another nice looking Continental from craigslist. Not mine.

https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/d/charleston-for-sale-by-owner-classic/7032308465.html

For all those who loves collecting classic cars, here is a true beauty for you. Asking price is $3,000 or best offer. Call Al Brown at 795-5929 or show contact info . Serious inquiries only.

Don

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DLynskey said:

Another nice looking Continental from craigslist. Not mine.

https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/d/charleston-for-sale-by-owner-classic/7032308465.htm

Wow, that is nice, at least from that angle. If it has a legit title, runs and isn't bashed in on the passenger side, it would be a real bargain.

There's one for about $3700 around here, but not as nice as that I don't think.

One photo and few details. Who knows? I assume the area code is 843.

Don

Not really a great deal or really anything to get excited about, but if this 65 can be proven to be 27k original miles, it's a neat time capsule I thought you guys might enjoy. No value since it's a four door but still a clean nostalgic survivor. 

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/salinas-1965-chevy-impala-27k-original/7035918443.html

00H0H_6QOgEQOhqTj_1200x900.jpg

01313_hWYa42WDkIk_1200x900.jpg

It is a very clean example,  but probably going to be a tough market.  I've seen other similar 60's Buick and other sedan survivors for low teens.  Still neat if someone is in love with it.  Lots of other options in general at 20G though the seller is fighting with. 

• Like 1

I've seen a few "good" deals but they really pale in comparison to the 1950 Chrysler .  That just raised the bar too high. 

Agreed, that was special and encouraging to see it found a good home.

Also good to see they are still out there....just never know what's going to hit the market when you least expect it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I've seen a few "good" deals but they really pale in comparison to the 1950 Chrysler .  That just raised the bar too high. 

Chrysler is getting used as long as the weather stays like this. Almost 70. It is in rotation with the rest. Today it was the parts chaser as I am having to build new shock links for the 31 Franklin after swapping out rear shocks.  What a PITA

20191214_144516.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Chrysler is getting used as long as the weather stays like this. Almost 70. It is in rotation with the rest. Today it was the parts chaser as I am having to build new shock links for the 31 Franklin after swapping out rear shocks.  What a PITA

20191214_144516.jpg

Beautiful car, Brooklyn Beer. We all missed out on that one. Glad it was bought by someone who really appreciates it, though. 😉

• Like 4

Stupid heater switch is giving me fits is about the only problem so far and once I get the Franklin shocks sorted out I will put it on the lift I just installed as I am thinking it also needs sway bar bushings up front by the occasional "clunk" when turning  onto a side street

• Like 1

Probably more just a realistically priced old car than a bargain.  Looks to be an older rehab.  Not really a bargain but better than some I have seen for the same money.  Lots of sedans out there in this price range in similar shape. 

• Like 1

I agree with auburnseeker...realistically priced. OTOH, late 40's and early 50's Plymouths and Dodges are good values for people that want a genuinely 50's car vibe but don't want to spend a lot. They don't cost much because the flathead six engines were the only option and they produced under 100 hp. They were also fairly ordinary looking, but the 49 Plymouth pictured is genuinely nice looking, as was the 50. The two door 'fastbacks" looked downright cool, and the two door wagons are awesome, though rarer and more money. Oh...and auburnseeker's awesome 51 Dodge convertible is the coolest of all. Once again, though, a lot more money. These cars handled real well for a budget car of the era, or at least mine ('50 Plymouth P19 fastback) did.

• Like 1

Have always been in love with the 46-54 mopars.  Best bang for the buck today for anyone wanting to get into the "old car" hobby. Parts are easy, rock solid dependable. I keep seeing them much cheaper then this and it hard not to buy them. My survivor 53 Cranbrook was just 1700 bucks and I use it to get to work 3 days a week just because I love driving old cars. 

• Like 3

Agree!  In terms of best value cars I always say for an early 30s experience, go Model A, for mid 30s, to 50s, mopar or Buick, for 60s Mustang 6 cylinder gen one.  Plenty of affordable and attractive cars in those groups. 🙂

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

Hey Brooklyn, I'm pretty sure I found a picture of your car! 😁

LAfreeway.thumb.jpg.2679496eab6efb20a7c2e01d1ae7cd1a.jpg

There goes my buick !

20190317_152149.jpg