Old car bargains from around the Web

2 hours ago, thehandleman said:

100 bucks probably not worthy of the post lol, now a 750 or better thats worth noting cheers 

Good Luck on the Sale could be a nice deal for someone

well it was originally listed for 8600 and I received a notice from ebay (watch list) of the big drop. I very SINCERELY apologize for not going back to the very first post and see that it had already been updated before I made my post.  Can you ever forgive me for wasting your time ?

What a coincidence, I know this car. A friend of mine purchased it at Carlisle in 1981 or so. He drove it to my home near York, PA and I worked on it for a few weeks to do some needed maintenance and have new tires installed. This car was all original and it looks virtually the same now as it did back then. I especially remember the small area worn through the driver's side running board rubber mat, my friend told me it was caused by the old lady who originally owned the car stepping on the same place every time she got in or out of the car. I do not recall the dashboard plastic being distorted back then.  After I finished working on the car, I drove it without incident down to my friend's home in Maryland. Sure is nice to see it again, it brings back some good memories. Hope the car finds a good home.

• Like 4

I'm not a 4 door man,  but being it's so original,  boy it's got a sort of magnetism to it.  If I had a bunch of extra money I didn't need I would buy it and just play with it. Unfortunately if i spend any of what I have,  it will leave me short for the next car I'm really looking for.  Time to start playing the lotto again so I have a little more of that play money. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I originally started this thread with an eye on the low end price field. While this is still low,  Triple what I was originally thinking of the 3G starter car,  one would be smart to beg and borrow the extra money to buy this Chrysler if they were serious.  This thing is spectacular for a buy it now of $10,500.  Even though Mopars of this era aren't hot,  that is cheap and it's a good looking tudor hardtop,  HPOF type car.  Good thing it's in FL and not up here or I would be going to look at it.  That's good because I think I really want an early 30's car. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264477654629

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

I am sucker for late 40's and early 50's mopars.  They just seem pushed off to the side for some odd reason.   You can really get one cheap and start in the old car hobby with a dependable workhorse. Can find parts everywhere.    I just found this one close by (To close to pass up)  for well under the 3G starter car price. Make a good parts chaser and back and forth to work a few times a week. Was a 2 owner car till 2015. Was given to a shop to have the brake system rebuilt and when completed the grandson of owner number 2 did not want to pay for the 1600 for the job so he "sold" them the car for the price of the work. The shop owner then sold it to his friend just to make a few bucks and then I found it up for sale again when that person didn't like driving a standard. I would say a true bargains-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

That would be a good beater for the price IF you just couldn't scrape up anymore.  (better than most stuff i have seen at that price or even twice that)  I still say borrow the difference though and buy the Chrysler.  That's a very special car in the shape it's in.  That's a tudor hardtop,  which is pretty unusual for that year for 4 door sedan money. 

• Like 1

If 60's Mopars are your thing.  Check out this 66 New Yorker.  Looks very clean.  With a days detailing would probably sparkle and at 5500 negotiable pretty cheap for an east coast car. Probably could easily get it between 4000 and 4500.   Of course it's on Long Island.  (why are they all on the island?)

https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/huntington-chrysler-1966-new-yorker/6988290219.html

CHRYSLER 1966 NEW YORKER -GARAGED VERY GOOD CONDITION - $5500 (HUNTINGTON)

CHRYSLER 1966 NEW YORKER - 2 DOOR: GARAGED FOR OVER 10 YEARS, VERY GOOD CONDITION
APPROX 60, 000 MILES, STARTS AND RUNS

MY HUSBAND HAS 3 OTHER 1960 CARS AND BOUGHT THIS ONE OVER 10 YEARS AGO ALTHOUGH WIFE TOLD HIM HE DIDN'T NEED ANOTHER CLASSIC CAR. HE KEPT IT GARAGED FOR 10 YEARS AND DROVE IT ONCE BECAUSE HE HAS NO TIME. FINALLY, HE SAID TO WIFE, "I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT, I NEED TO SELL THIS CAR." AND THERE YOU HAVE WIFE KNOWS BEST! PRICE NEGOTIABLE AND LOOKING TO SELL...

00N0N_gA1BPwJuAJK_600x450.jpg

00N0N_kMg0p931bfe_600x450.jpg

00606_iacKs0rfSpz_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 11:41 PM, auburnseeker said:

I originally started this thread with an eye on the low end price field. While this is still low,  Triple what I was originally thinking of the 3G starter car,  one would be smart to beg and borrow the extra money to buy this Chrysler if they were serious.  This thing is spectacular for a buy it now of $10,500.  Even though Mopars of this era aren't hot,  that is cheap and it's a good looking tudor hardtop,  HPOF type car.  Good thing it's in FL and not up here or I would be going to look at it.  That's good because I think I really want an early 30's car. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264477654629

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

Price just dropped to $9995.  That's a bargain for anyone that wants an all original old car that isn't a 4 door sedan.  Good thing it's over 1000 miles away or I would be foolish enough to buy it and short myself for one of my bucket list cars when they come along. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Price just dropped to $9995.  That's a bargain for anyone that wants an all original old car that isn't a 4 door sedan.  Good thing it's over 1000 miles away or I would be foolish enough to buy it and short myself for one of my bucket list cars when they come along. 

I took a look at the seller's feedback on eBay. They have sold four other collectible vehicles over the last 6 months with good feedback given.

Too bad it's in Florida.  HAs old PA tags on it.  Would be better if it was in PA.  Pick it up and take it to Hershey for Preservation award.  Hell it doesn't even look like you need to detail it. 

Where else can you get a 2 door show car of this caliber for 10G? 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

They dropped the price to $9500 on the Chrysler, ends in a couple of hours.  Man they are giving the thing away.   Bargain of the year for a 2 door hardtop from the 50's.   Surprised a dealer hasn't picked it up to double their money.   Seems like you would be able to especially if you could offer financing for the next guy,  that us non dealers don't have access to. 

• Like 1

Could be the 6 to 8 thing,  but wow what you lose in power,  you gain in condition with this car.   I could easily see this thing sitting in the Hershey car corral with 20G on the windshield and sold being written underneath it.  Maybe for a little less but I bet it would have people stopping to look at it all day long.   I'm no pro on Mopar values of this era but in my recent somewhat comprehensive search of anything automotive pre 1960 and a bit of a soft spot for Mopars of this era,  this wins hands down in value per condition of anything I have seen for sale pretty much in the entire US.  We did have a nice early 50's Chrysler posted over here a while back,.  That might have been a hardtop as well and it was very nice at 14,500 if I remember correctly which must have sold as I haven't seen it in any searches lately but that was even a notch or so below this car.   If this was a restored car,  I would say nice but being original makes you kind of go wow. 

Sell me your Plymouth Roadster and I could help align the cards a little better for you. ;) 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

4 hours ago, thehandleman said:

I love it but the cards are not aligned, I think why it has not gone,  to you and me the six is not a issue but to the newer buyers they want eight cylinders ? Just thinking as I too cannot understand why it is not sold.??? 🤔

Cheers

I wanna buy it so bad but the wallet says no... if this had come along a month ago it would be in my garage, can't win 'em all!

As always when I have a car to sell I find a bunch of cars on my bucket list at great prices.  Now the car is sold and i have some cash but this isn't on the bucket list.  I hate to pass on something this nice,  but if i buy it I know i will find the exact car I'm looking for and be exactly 9500 short.  As I said if it was closer and I could pay it a visit , it probably would have charmed me enough to drag it home and deal with it.  Fortunately it's over 1000 miles away and Hershey is next week. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, parrts said:

Soft market!

Any softer and it will be quicksand.  When are Auburns going to hit the soft spot? 

$8500?.  Look back at this thread and the cars listed at the prices posted which all seemed to be good deals and all sold.  None come close. Hell the Chrysler sedan with the bad head was around 6 grand and it was a couple steps down the ladder in condition. 

Does anyone live near this thing in Florida?  I think we need an in person report.  Though they didn't seem to hide much in the photos. 

Even falling into the dark age of Mopars this is just a super nice old car. You can't buy a chevy half as nice for the price.  Buy this and pull up next to a Chevy.  Guaranteed you will get more looks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, auburnseeker said:

Time to replace that Bowtie with a Mopar.  It would fit right in with your collection. 

If I wasn't really looking for a prewar car or a convertible I would definitely be atleast contacting the seller about this. 

This would be number 5. Too freaken addictive

• Haha 1

Here's another possible good deal from Florida on ebay. Uncommon '68 Galaxie 500 2 door hardtop with basic/mid level looking trim. Pretty clean with 390 2bbl. May have been repainted and detailed, but interior looks clean and original enough to possibly be the actual 60k miles the owner says it is.  $5100 as of right now with no reserve. There's  day and a half of bidding left, but I recently saw a really clean, straight and original '64 T Bird stallat about $6600 the last couple of days on ebay. Maybe that'll happen here. Seems like a bargain, but I know little about that era of Galaxie, so there may be some glaring flaw to experts. I see people moving what seem to be decent cars at the lower prices. Everyone else asking 10 - 15 grand for these kind of cars are getting no interest at all. This guy doesn't mention a title, though.

1968 Ford Galaxie | eBay

Being a Florida car and looking like it does from the one underneath picture you may be OK but one would really want tot check the frame.  mid to late 60's Full size ford cars seemed to have alot of problems with the frame in the back. Even clean looking cars seem to have rusty frames.   Who knows where it came from.  Cocoa is on the coast but doesn't mean it came from there or was used on the beach or to tote a boat around. 

I would also point out that from what I have seen,  full size fords after 64 share little love.  I have known of a few decent convertibles that didn't sell around 7500.  Maybe not quite this good,  but still pretty nice and that was when things were selling better.  I bet top dollar on this car is not much further than where it's at.   Sad but it goes back to not many guys looking for this car.  Most that would be interested would also consider a similar Chevy or Mopar product and are more price shopping than buying a specific car.  I know I am to a point.  I have a bunch of cars I'm interested in and if one comes into my price range I will probably own it. 

• Like 1