auburnseeker

Old car bargains from around the Web

Boy that's got some pretty bad rot coming through.  Almost looks like a flood car or just ravaged by the good old northeast.  First photo didn't look too bad though. 

I'm not much on late 60's iron but boy this sure looks good for the Money.  Not sure what the huge stain on the floor is,  but I have seen cars a quarter this nice for more money and it's a convertible. 

1969 Cougar Convertible for $5000. Look at the interior and chrome, plus if you are into these a slew of extra parts. 

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/west-lebanon-1969-cougar-convertible/6943396368.html

1969 Cougar Convertible & Parts - $5000 (West Lebanon) 

69 Cougar Convertible and Large lot of parts, including hood, trunk lid, tinted windows, bumpers, rocker mouldings, 2 sets of taillights, grille, complete dash with good pad, a/c equipment, nos rear quarter for hardtop, seats, door panels, etc etc.

00L0L_6f1HrrFe9gO_600x450.jpg

00909_8T5d412QzP8_600x450.jpg

01010_adTePKcpCvz_600x450.jpg

00s0s_ccI6cN3MToa_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Lets hope it's not one of those "Start the car and it automatically changes the oil for you out the rear main" bargains.  There was a guy at work who had one of these only through the front main.  I think it was a QT to get to work and QT to get home.

Even if it needed some engine work.  That looks like a whole lot of nice paint and bodywork/ chrome trim for 5 G.  And it's a convertible. Usually you can't touch anything in a drop top that looks this good from before 1970 for under 10G.  Regardless of make.

These are out of my realm as far as values but my gut said I should post it.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My 65 Fury convertible is a ton of fun with it's little 318 poly motor.  Mid to late 60's convertibles are climbing in value. For some reason Mopar's more so.  Cougars of this vintage just get very over looked.   Runner up to Mustangs and Camaro's.  80's cars just the same.  My 65 k all original survivor 1980 Z28 with 4 speed people just walk right past , "ho hum a camaro that isn't a 1969"

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I know cougars have always been overlooked,  I just figured hey a guy getting into the hobby could have a drop top 60's V8 for 5 grand that looks pretty darn good from the photos.  Now if it were a Mustang in the same shape with a 6 cylinder they would want 15 G for it.  add another 5 for V8. 

You actually might get more looks with this than the Mustang as well. 

• Like 1

I know guys that have actually stopped taking their mustangs to shows anymore because everyone has one. They have gotten dull. And they are always red or black.  I can park my 46 Dodge "bomber" coupe way out under a tree and folks will walk the empty yards between just to get a "smell" of it.  I am treating her to new shocks this weekend.  Bomber?  I was asked one day by a guy with kids what color it is.  "Bombardier Blue!" I said.  The one kid responded calling it "The Blue Bomber" and it has been that ever since.

• Like 2

Now you know why I drive a Hudson Pickup.  I sold the Chevy because I passed my exact truck on my way up town every day.  No other ones in our town.  Maybe next a Stude Coupe Express or a Diamond T. 

• Like 2

I had a beat up '50 Buick Special 4 Door Jetback, stick. It looked like the wrath of God and drew car people like flies on...well, you know. I paid $850 for it in the 80s and it ran like a swiss watch.  I'd love to have another...So yes, different is good. 

Posted (edited)

NOT MINE.   I would call this a bargain if all is true.  If it was closer I would have already bought and use as a daily.  Too bad it left TX. Sounds like it was right around the corner from me when he came and got it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Packard-Deluxe-Eight-Clipper-Deluxe/293149500263?_trkparms=aid%3D888008%26algo%3DDISC.CARDS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D59000%26meid%3Deee2ff16790a424da045eb53b1b003b0%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D223601546545%26itm%3D293149500263%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)

Maybe?  Not running and what looks like damp storage from the "tarp" he had it under is really a shame.  Here is a word to anyone buying an old car.  Make sure you can keep it inside,  unless you live in one of those very few places in the country where it's arid but not too sunny or it will look like this in short order.  Especially since he said it was in a garage until he brought it to Washington.  Must have been the part that gets all the rain.   Wish they would of sold it before they let it go to hell. 

• Like 1

Don't see too many 115C Club Sedans.

It's a good thing I don't have a coupe or conv't that needed the chrome or this would get bought,  the parts swapped with my crappy originals and resold for not much less money but I would have a $1000 chrome bill instead of several thousand. 

The jr. Series in a club sedan is a sharp little car.  These and the 120 clubs make me think of of "mini Classics".

Not sure whether this is really a bargain but I know how rabid you Buick guys are.  Here is a 40 Sedan that looks pretty darn good under the dust with a very servicable all be it even decent interior for $4500 OBO. 

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/rotterdam-junction-1940-buick/6948309893.html

1940 Buick Super Model 51, 4 door sedan. Found in my Fathers barn. Also extra engine. $4500. OBO

00F0F_6nPAbZCLAsO_600x450.jpg

00N0N_7Tb7CZTuJqa_600x450.jpg

00K0K_fLuIrXjuJCx_600x450.jpg

00303_j94dJMvYWyY_600x450.jpg

00a0a_9Vw5reatxOE_600x450.jpg

00K0K_ejo27VVwl08_600x450.jpg

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Not sure whether this is really a bargain but I know how rabid you Buick guys are.  Here is a 40 Sedan that looks pretty darn good under the dust with a very servicable all be it even decent interior for $4500 OBO. 

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/rotterdam-junction-1940-buick/6948309893.html

1940 Buick Super Model 51, 4 door sedan. Found in my Fathers barn. Also extra engine. $4500. OBO

00F0F_6nPAbZCLAsO_600x450.jpg

00N0N_7Tb7CZTuJqa_600x450.jpg

00K0K_fLuIrXjuJCx_600x450.jpg

00303_j94dJMvYWyY_600x450.jpg

00a0a_9Vw5reatxOE_600x450.jpg

00K0K_ejo27VVwl08_600x450.jpg

This, in my opinion is the prettiest of the 40 Buick sedans. Oh to have a huge barn!

Just go ahead and build the big barn.  You will never have enough money to buy another car so you won't have to worry about running out of space ever again. ;) 

Ask me how I know. 

7 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Just go ahead and build the big barn.  You will never have enough money to buy another car so you won't have to worry about running out of space ever again. ;) 

Ask me how I know. 

Which is why I just keep adding on to the old dairy barn that was on the property.   :)      The old milking room is now my brewery and the cow stalls was turned into the wood and metal shop.  Concrete one year then I went out one side and built room for three cars, then out the back for 2 more a few years later the same way.  Now finally putting up the new shop so I have room for a lift.  Just a little at a time as I begged and scrounged materials at work.  Here is a hint for guys building on a budget.  I build schools and hospitals for a living and know all the other trades very well. For one, most commercial roofing companies have stacks of unused metal roofing that is left over from jobs sitting in the yard. (makes excellent walls too) They are more then happy to let it go at a bargain price rather then having it sit.  A simple two car garage can be roofed real cheap.  5 years ago I got enough to do a 4 car garage just for taking it off our job site. They didn't have a fork lift to load the truck so a deal was struck and I just loaded it for them on my trailer.  Other trades work the same way.  When it is left over it is just a pain in the ass to store. No two jobs are the same so it will sit until scrapped to make space for the next pile of leftovers. It has already been sold for so recouping anything is a plus for them. Color's don't match?  Paint it.  The barn in the pictures above is pretty easy construction. 

Depends on where you live and what your house is as to how or what you should build for a shop.  That's the reason I built what I did.   A rural area with a modular and you can go for whatever works, a more expensive neighborhood or area where you might be in a touristy type setting and you may have more limits that require you to build something that is in keeping with the house.   Remember you have to keep the Zoning and building depts. Happy. 

Kudos if you can do it on the cheap with left overs.  It just wouldn't work where we live.

Yep, lucky here. More cows then people in this county.  We can build and let alone do most anything in TX when outside the city limits.

Whats a permit ?  For anything really   :)   EXCEPT for a septic system.  TX seems to hold a turd in higher regard then a pistol.

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2019 at 9:55 PM, auburnseeker said:

Boy that's got some pretty bad rot coming through.  Almost looks like a flood car or just ravaged by the good old northeast.  First photo didn't look too bad though. 

I couldn't see it because the ad expired.

This one's pretty bad, too, but would sell if it had a title, a VIN plate, and was a 1965 Shelby Mustang 350-H.  🙂

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)