Old car bargains from around the Web

I came across a 1950 or 49 Plymouth Suburban wagon for sale not long after I acquired my '54 Ranch Wagon and '50 Plymouth P-19 (15 years ago.) It was cool because it was like a combination of the two old cars I already had. It was pretty rusty though (kind of like my P-19, but worse.) The '50 Plymouths handled noticeably better than my '54, but the Ford seemed to be more substantially built. I think these 2 door Plymouth wagons are a lot more rare than Ranch Wagons, though, and therefore worth more money. With that in mind, I think that the clean Savoy auburnseeker posted actually is a pretty good deal. And very pretty. That engine kind of keeps them from being good highway cars, though. Jack's car is very pretty, too.

Thank You James.

I bought this one several years ago and fitted it with an OD trans.

Drove it for a few years and let it go in a weak moment.

The new owner shipped it to Florida and immediately changed to dual carbs and exhaust and lowered it, then changed the wheels.

A bit disappointing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JACK M said:

Thank You James.

I bought this one several years ago and fitted it with an OD trans.

Drove it for a few years and let it go in a weak moment.

The new owner shipped it to Florida and immediately changed to dual carbs and exhaust and lowered it, then changed the wheels.

A bit disappointing.

I’m curious, and apologized for going off topic, but did you have to shorten the drive shaft when adding that OD (R10?)?

NOT MINE

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/d/kansas-city-1954-buick-century/7091770672.html

1954 Buick Century - $6500

image 11 of 14
00101_ltONBK9WoFW_600x450.jpg
00P0P_iWEGt1C4LOG_600x450.jpg
00g0g_5O2d8U9qLH8_600x450.jpg
00H0H_8ohXKJSvDC_600x450.jpg
00000_bSvInY7W97v_600x450.jpg
00k0k_6ihFLumvR7w_600x450.jpg
01010_i2wupLOacNa_600x450.jpg
00K0K_1yvhpkvulrL_600x450.jpg
00j0j_gohXObS0Uw5_600x450.jpg
00N0N_4t0SD0E8FEi_600x450.jpg
00101_9jP0OISU2sj_600x450.jpg
01616_3Qu1rYxFHg0_600x450.jpg
00K0K_3USvWsOimSS_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map)

1954 1954 Buick Century

fuel: gas
title status: salvage
transmission: automatic

Here is a great example of an all original and complete 1954 Buick Century. This car was ahead of it's time with power windows and power seat. Still has the original 322 nailhead v8. Car was running until a couple years ago when the previous owner passed away. I had plans of getting it running again and driving it but a new baby forces me to sale. Again, this car is complete and can probably be running again in a weekend's time.
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, SparkEE said:

I’m curious, and apologized for going off topic, but did you have to shorten the drive shaft when adding that OD (R10?)?

I don't recall specifically. But pretty sure I did.

I found a completely rotted car in a filed that was complete and had the overdrive.

So I would have had the drive line if it was different (again, I think it was shorter)

I sold the original tranny to a restorer and the body to a drag tracer.

The more I think about this it seems that the parking brake cable may have been different as well.

Don take this as gospel as it has been many years and I don't recall like I used to.

• Thanks 1

Now how about a 56 Chevy Belair 2 door hardtop for 10,700 with 15KMI?

Could ber a scam. Worht the call if you are anywhere near there though. 

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/wto/d/south-boston-adult-owned-1956-chevy/7094447683.html

Adult Owned 1956 chevy belair 2 door hardtop barn find survivor - $10700

Hardtop BelAir Rare-Used 150/210 2Door 1956 Chevrolet Clean 15k.Miles

00c0c_e5inXEQfF6q_600x450.jpg

Since we are on the topic of this one, what do you guys think of ebay price? At $10k, screaming deal.  $18 - 22k I would say solid, $26k seems high assuming the mechanicals mirror cosmetics, serviceable but tired.  Tri Fives have been flat to declining in recent years and lots on the market.

• Like 1

I agree with your thoughts Steve.  I would have pegged it close to that because of the glutt of cars on the market.  I would say it depends on how original everything really is,  what's it's condition when you really dig into it and how well documented it might be. 5 years ago or even 3 would have been a better time to sell. 

• 1 month later...

Hasn't been much worth posting and I'm not into this type of Foreign car but an open 30's car of any type for $7000 seems like a bargain to me.  As I'm sure you couldn't buy one of these and do much of a restoration for 3 times as much. https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/d/fitchburg-1937-austin-touring/7109953697.html

1937 Austin Touring Convertible - $7000 (Fitchburg)

1937 Austin Seven, rare touring model. 747cc straight 4 engine, 3 speed and reverse, 10.5 HP, top speed 45 mph, maybe more with a tailwind. Very rare left hand drive, as it was intended for sale in the USA. No water pump, cooling by thermosiphon. 75" Wheelbase! This car was professionally restored. The engine and frame numbers do not match. These Austin 7s are tiny, but surprisingly comfortable for four. The seats have air bladders! Electric start or hand crank. Austin is a well known name in British cars, known for innovation and reliability. That said, maintenance is very easy, and surprisingly, parts are quite available. There will also be many extra parts to go with the car. It hasn't run since last year, but it should be easy enough to get it fired up again. Has title. My Folks are trying to cover medical expenses and hate to part with these heirlooms. Text Message: Nine 7 eight 400 eight 1 six 5.

01414_lBsEnwZ3c7a_600x450.jpg

01010_lhgKTXSQM6M_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a car that was inherited and sat. Mice got in it I would say. The floor repair is minimal. You can toss on some seat covers for the time. Headliner needs to come out to rid the mice stink.  Says brakes are down, carb is most likely gummed up from sitting. Expect to flush the tank.  All simple fixes on these old mopars. My 53 four door is in better shape overall then this but more road rash which I got for 1700. Brakes and such brought it too 2600 I figure.  This has new tires and an attempted fix of the carb I guess. You could have a nice driver within a weekend with this one. I am going to watch it and if it stays below 4k with 2 hours left I might go get it. I have the brakes, carb rebuild kit, etc already on the shelf here. Might be a good flipper being a 2 door.   

edit.  I just tossed 2800 at it to give it some love. 

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It is a really tough for cars at the bottom of the market right now. I know I feel like I need to keep my wallet closed even in the face of some very appealing deals. I also think these deals are going to keep coming for a while so a guy can be a bit more picky. There is also the nagging thought of: what if the market really does make a large correction?  It’s not that I would be particularly bothered about having paid 5k for a car that is now worth two, if I enjoyed it... I would be bothered by not having the 5k that now buys me a much better car. I do keep eyeballing these Mopars though. I need a new daily driver and at a low enough price point would it really be that bad to let another sedan rust away from Indiana salted roads?

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Let me post this 1950 Plymouth which is 45 minutes from me....  

$4500 buy it now.  Can't understand why it is still there.     

I think its price is lower because the interior

is very rough.  The (re)paint makes it look better

overall than it really is:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

I'd have to pass on the gray 1950 Plymouth. The rusty floors are always worse than they look and the dull chrome bumpers are a minus too. With it needing carb work, brakes, and the mileage over 100K  I'd have to hear it run before I placed a bid. The need for a total interior replacement really kills it for me. Looks like a shiny gray car with Armoralled tires and little else to offer. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I think its price is lower because the interior

is very rough.  The (re)paint makes it look better

overall than it really is:

I agree,  John. Really reminds me of the 1950 P19 Plymouth I bought 15 years ago on eBay. I paid $1600 for it, and looking this (grainy) pic, you might think it was the bargain of the century, but the interior was moldy and deteriorated, and there was some rust through on the floor and into the lower/inner side structure of the body so that the door would sag when you opened it. This sagging kept the driver's door from latching properly so sometimes going around a right turn the door would fly open and my hands on the steering wheel were the only thing keeping me in the car (no seat belts) 😄.

The engine was said to have run in the ad, but....The only way I could get it to run was with the timing well off from what it should've been. The vacuum lines were all secure, but there was something else wrong: when the seller delivered the car to me, he quickly (and nervously) drove off like a maniac before I could try to start the car. Just goes to show that the purchase price of a car can often be a pretty minor part of the overall expense. I drove the car some, but the engine wasn't solid enough for a driver that could be relied upon.

Still, I think the 49/50 Plymouth is among the best looking of the late 40's/early 50's Mopars, especially in the two door sloped back configuration like mine.

Plymouth50.jpg

I just got a sample of upholstery cloth for my '60 Electra. During the almost 20 year I have been driving it and being 60 years old it is getting due. $140 per yard. It looked brilliant when I compared the sample in the car. So good I guess I need to do both seats. I had figured about $2500 to #3,000 for the front. That Plymouth has a lot of items that many just brush off with the wave of a hand.

If you figured out what the total was really going to be the real bargain car might cost more.

Bernie

Edit: One more thought. Imagine what the market would be if everyone with an unfinished car held off and finished the one they had before buying another.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Cars available depends on what you are looking for.

I am looking for a 1911 or'12 Model T.  For the most part, the few that are available are way out of my price range and I believe the market price.  They have been advertised for a number of months and still not sold.

If anyone knows of a '11 or '12 Model T with a realistic price, please let me know, but I do not need another basket case now. I am looking for something that drives and in decent shape. I do not want or need a totally restored show car as I plan on driving this car on tours.

Thanks,

3 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Cars available depends on what you are looking for.

I am looking for a 1911 or'12 Model T.  For the most part, the few that are available are way out of my price range and I believe the market price.  They have been advertised for a number of months and still not sold.

If anyone knows of a '11 or '12 Model T with a realistic price, please let me know, but I do not need another basket case now. I am looking for something that drives and in decent shape. I do not want or need a totally restored show car as I plan on driving this car on tours.

Thanks,

1911-12 Ford Model T Touring

1911-12 T - Older restoration with:

Stock, original engine and body

Original metal no rust

Removable front doors painted to match

Electric starter

Aluminum trans cover and original fly wheel w/magnets included

5pasco wires with small drum hubs, very valuable on early Ruxtell 2 speed axle

Set of rebuilt and sound original wheels included

Starts quickly by hand and runs well on coils, on mag, or on battery. In 65 years it has always run reliably

Asking $19,000 obo. FOB Ketchum Idaho
Call me and I will send you a video

Ketchum, Idaho,

(206) 295-0629

With the removable doors it is a 12

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

1911-12 Ford Model T Touring

1911-12 T - Older restoration with:

Stock, original engine and body

Original metal no rust

Removable front doors painted to match

Electric starter

Aluminum trans cover and original fly wheel w/magnets included

5pasco wires with small drum hubs, very valuable on early Ruxtell 2 speed axle

Set of rebuilt and sound original wheels included

Starts quickly by hand and runs well on coils, on mag, or on battery. In 65 years it has always run reliably

Asking $19,000 obo. FOB Ketchum Idaho
Call me and I will send you a video

Ketchum, Idaho,

(206) 295-0629

With the removable doors it is a 12

Joe,

Thanks for the post.  I called on this car a couple of days ago and it was already sold.  This is in my radar range.

Larry

19 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Joe,

Thanks for the post.  I called on this car a couple of days ago and it was already sold.  This is in my radar range.

Larry

That car looks like it was a real bargain. Maybe 5-7 K below market.

7 hours ago, The 55er said:

For some reason 1955 & 1956 Plymouth 4-doors are not very popular collector cars. 

The '55 was a marked change from the somewhat frumpy looking '53-4, but is still slightly odd looking in it's own right with it's giant second-bumper-as-grille. Maybe it's just that it's overshadowed by the really dramatic '57-9. Nevertheless, as you implied, two doors, two tone paint and eight cylinders made it noticeably more exciting than what Plymouth had put out in previous years.  Four doors aside, I still would've thought a wagon from the mid fifties for 1500 would've sold when it has a title.  This one's rough, though.

• 2 weeks later...