Sign in to follow this  
papafarms

Ebay down payment, shipping of car etc

19 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Agree that it's not really fair for you to ask the seller to sit on the car while you do your homework.

Most of these topics come up from buyers concerned about the seller. With over half a century of buying and selling, my concern is with the buyer. You can say what you want about profiling and stereotypes, but those things didn't just come in a vision during the night. I have only sold cars for a livelihood twice in my life, once while still in High School and once for a short time in my 40's.

All the other times I generally refer to as "sport selling". (A deviation of an old High School term)

Once, when my 37 year old Son was about 3, I got a call about a Chrysler convertible I had for sale. We were all at the supper table and the phone was on the wall behind me. The caller asked about the car. "Sorry, the car is sold."

My Wife said "Did you sell that Chrysler?"

"Nope"

"Why did you say you did?"

"Didn't want to deal with the guy."

Then I turned to my Son, even though he didn't understand, and told him what I did and why.

My Wife said "You shouldn't say things like that to a little kid".

Oh well, the seed got planted.

Buyers trained me as a seller. And I think I am a pretty good buyer. Sometimes it frustrates a seller when my answer is yes or no. Last year I looked at a one year old used car at a national rental dealership. It appeared their policy required any potential customer to be grilled by a minimum of three levels of management before they could leave. It was a disappointing experience for them, but was entertaining once I saw the method.

I have two cars I bought sight unseen. They are keepers.

Bernie

• Haha 1

So goes with transport .

You have that “ little voice “ talking to you in your head for a reason.

When things go South - it usually is because I didn’t listen ( to myself ).

Jim

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Most of these topics come up from buyers concerned about the seller.

True,   and the problems are the same on both sides of the coin.   Thinking it through statistically, there are as many dink buyers as sellers.

Sellers should be comfortable with the buyer too.  Everybody operating in the open and good faith can keep things smooth. 

and some buyers think it should all be free........................

LOL

1 hour ago, Trulyvintage said:

So goes with transport .

You have that “ little voice “ talking to you in your head for a reason.

When things go South - it usually is because I didn’t listen ( to myself ).

Jim

Oh man you are absolutely right on this point. I bought a car on eBay three weeks ago, called several highly respected haulers and made the mistake of choosing the one who said he would do it next week when the others were 2-1/2 weeks out, then he said he got held up and it was going to get done next week... see a pattern yet? Today I am waiting for the new story but it needs moved by the 13th or I have to wait a few week after that. I also have another transport I’m in touch with and if these both fall through there’s a friend of a well respected forum member here going to Florida at the beginning of March that can help. Absolutely frustrating!

On the other side, the seller has been great. I have all the paperwork you could ask for (including the original 1935 title from the previous owner which I plan on not giving up) and if the paperwork is not right for my DMV he is willing to help however possibly. I even invited him to visit while he is on vacation next week and is staying the next town south of us - which is why I needed to move the car before that.

This will be my third car from eBay and if you do your due diligence first then you shouldn’t have any issues... EXCEPT TRANSPORT!

Normally 

Scheduled auto transport with direct contact to folks who actually do the hauling averages (30) days.

More in Winter or with remote pick up and drop off locations.

It takes time to build a trip to transport a vehicle.

Jim

A few years back I bought a 1953 Jaguar Mark VII big sedan in Federal Way, Washington. The sale went fine but the shipper had untold problems hauling it to the Rochester, New York area. Up to the point of buying a new truck. When he got to the NY state line he was thrown off the interstate for pulling tandem trailers and called me from about 30 miles away, a bit lost and down. I could feel his relief when I told him to stay on the road he was on and I would meet him in 20 miles. We met at an intersection in a closed diner parking lot at midnight. He was in his late 50's and wore a T-shirt with MOPAR across the chest.

Even with the troubles he told me it attracted more attention than any car he had hauled. The car had little badging and people always asked what it was. He said he asked them to guess. We stood there in the dark and he said "Most people thought it was a Bentley." After a pause he asked "What's a Bentley?" A bolt of lightening hit me and I almost said "You win the MOPAR T-shirt." I restrained. My kids say I ain't hard to entertain.

Bernie

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trulyvintage said:

Normally 

Scheduled auto transport with direct contact to folks who actually do the hauling averages (30) days.

More in Winter or with remote pick up and drop off locations.

It takes time to build a trip to transport a vehicle.

Jim

I get that, but be up front about it. The carrier blatantly lied just to get a contract and string me along. It gives all of the independent carriers a very bad reputation and with the internet it gets around a lot faster than anybody would think... 

I should have listened to the voice that said it was too good of a turnaround...

JUST TO BE VERY CLEAR, IT IS NOT JIM I AM REFERRING TO, HE WAS VERY HONEST WITH ME ON A PREVIOUS NEED AND MY CIRCUMSTANCES ARE SIMILAR ENOUGH I DID NOT ASK HIM ABOUT THIS RUN. 

With shipping, you always get what you pay for. We have an excellent broker we work with who gets us good equipment, good drivers with good ratings, and guys who show up when they say they will. It also costs about 20% extra to get all that.

About 30% of the time, our buyers decide they can do their own transport. They go on uship.com or something like that and put in an offer of $600 on a job we told them would cost $1200. The car sits. And sits. And sits. We will happily store for 30 days free of charge, but after that, it's $125/day, and we hit it often when people book their own shipping. Just last week we had this abortion of a rig show up to try to haul a 1967 Lincoln to its new owner in the snow, who was trying to do it on the cheap. No idea how they expected to get a giant Lincoln on there with a huge rear overhangs They had 2x8s for ramps.

1139213954_2019-01-2511_42_41.thumb.jpg.1efe1e843f1967a97f1ab3dc2206e08c.jpg

Actually, two different trucks showed up at the same time, one at the correct address up the street where the car was stored and this one that just showed up in our parking lot hoping to grab the car. So we had two drivers fighting over the car. Who is supposed to take it? Not my problem. First guy got it because he showed up at the right address. Goodbye. Don't know if he was supposed to be the guy to take it, but he was at the right address first, so there it is. Not my problem.

Cheap shipping gives you headaches. Spend the extra few hundred bucks for a reputable shipper with an enclosed truck. You won't regret it, although you'll second-guess yourself because nothing will go wrong and start thinking you could have gotten it cheaper. Wrong. The reason nothing went wrong is BECAUSE you spent extra. It is never a mistake.

• Like 1

From the driver’s seat .....

One of the elements of a sale contract should be how long

the Seller will agree to store the car until it can be picked up.

A reasonable Seller should be prepared to store a vehicle for

a Buyer who lives outside of the area for a minimum of (30) days.

reasonable Buyer should be prepared to wait a minimum of (30) days

to have a car picked up - even longer in adverse weather and/or 

remote areas.

Jim