One reason the young cannot even think about buying an old car

But a quick search will find a much more realistically priced one , especially for a person getting in the Hobby,  that may not need the best example of an Ambassador convertible on the planet.  Many wouldn't know the difference between that one and a very nice one that I imagine could be had for mid teens.

The seller is probably trying to recoup their restoration costs. 

The net works both ways in finding a deal and finding the outlandish.  

It's actually a little better than the old days where when you found an old car and had no idea of the value and had to wing it.  Especially for a beginner.  It also makes rare things much more common as you see other examples for sale around the country,  where before you were usually limited by your geography with the exception of a few national traders.  I can search just about every trader and newspaper in the country in a few hours.   I remember 20 years ago,  driving over an hour just to be able to buy the local trader right after it was delivered to the nearest place that carried it. 

• Like 1

A price like that seems to be about double of what even the best one in existence might bring. I am sure that much was spent on it during the restoration however I suspect there is a very small indeed potential market for a frame up restored Ambassador.

Greg in Canada 

Well must admit most of the cars (and trailers) bought recently have come from Craigslist including very rare and interesting no-rust cars with AC. Further have never spent even U$10k for anything except occasional new cars (bought tow car new but was equipped the way I wanted (essentially base plus handsfree & towing package) and had a lot of rebates/incentives).

My point being that we have always had the well-heeled collectors but have inherited little and worked for everything here. For me the cars are a hobby/learning experience/lifestyle and when they stop will probably dispose of some.

And there are unusual bargains out there, mostly from the '80s and '90s, and that is where most of the kids are going. The biggest difference is that what was a $1k car to us is a $6k laptop to them.

I'm 24 and I would Love to have something From the 70's or before. My wallet disagrees with almost everything I like from that time. One day though. For now I'm looking for either a 90 or 91 Buick Reatta. Hopefully by the summer I'll find one.

• Like 3

I, too, find excessive exclamation points unnerving!!!!! My writing teacher in college said that each person gets 10 exclamation points that should last their entire lifetime!!!!! Don't waste them stupidly like this guy!!!!!!! It makes you look like a dope!!!!!!! It also does nothing to make a buyer want your car more!!!!! In fact, they may want it less knowing that the guy selling it is a moron!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

I, too, find excessive exclamation points unnerving!!!!! My writing teacher in college said that each person gets 10 exclamation points that should last their entire lifetime!!!!! Don't waste them stupidly like this guy!!!!!!! It makes you look like a dope!!!!!!! It also does nothing to make a buyer want your car more!!!!! In fact, they may want it less knowing that the guy selling it is a moron!!!!!!!

Are you sure I can't tempt you to buy a car by peppering a listing with "RARE!!!!!" at least 3-4 times? I thought it was what all the cool people were doing!

1951 Chevrolet Sedan

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1951/chevrolet/deluxe/100824237

Not my car but an example.  This sedan is cheaper than a good travel trailer or a  Harley.  And the whole family can ride in it. 

Totally affordable and easy to maintain.  Parts fairly easy to come by.  For this money you can't lose. 

When I retire, I am going to shoot for something like this as a daily driver.   

• Like 1

Regarding nick8086 post of the 2018 Silverado, I was hit with sticker shock last year when I was considering replacing my '04 Sierra with a new 2017 Silverado....  I paid $27K for my '04 new off the lot, the sticker on the '17 was almost $49K. AND the '17 had surface rust already forming on the frame...decided to keep the '04 for my daughter and I ended up finding my 1969 3/4 ton Chevy for a 1/4 of the price of the new '17.  I think my '69 has better styling than the '17 anyway !

20171006_160019.jpg

• Like 10

I have always liked that style AMC. AND the best cars I ever owned were the ones I paid market price or more for. All they need to do is find one buyer. I looked at the rest of the cars on their web page. Whoever has been finding their way to East Bug Tussle, Pa. has been making serious trips. With a body shop, garage, sales, and the size of the staff, they must be nudging 2.5-3 million a year. A little fishing won't hurt them.

They advertised in Hemmings with a quarter of a million subscribers, quite loosely connected. They didn't list it here. I am pretty sure I wouldn't either!!!

Bernie

10 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Do you feel the same about question marks?????????

22 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

But a quick search will find a much more realistically priced one , especially for a person getting in the Hobby,  that may not need the best example of an Ambassador convertible on the planet.  Many wouldn't know the difference between that one and a very nice one that I imagine could be had for mid teens.

The seller is probably trying to recoup their restoration costs. 

The net works both ways in finding a deal and finding the outlandish.  

It's actually a little better than the old days where when you found an old car and had no idea of the value and had to wing it.  Especially for a beginner.  It also makes rare things much more common as you see other examples for sale around the country,  where before you were usually limited by your geography with the exception of a few national traders.  I can search just about every trader and newspaper in the country in a few hours.   I remember 20 years ago,  driving over an hour just to be able to buy the local trader right after it was delivered to the nearest place that carried it. 

I am sure you realize that I was talking about the general public who see a price like that and think that they will never be able to ever buy an old car, not those who are realists  who know that somethings are just plain silly when it comes to price.

I am sure you realize that I was talking about the general public who see a price like that and think that they will never be able to ever buy an old car, not those who are realists  who know that somethings are just plain silly when it comes to price.

The Young do not understand the bigger picture. The cost of ownership..

1.insurance

2. Cost of parts..

3. Cost of storage.

4. Cost of repairs. If you hire it done..

5. Car Trailer

6. and yes a Truck to pull that car trailer.. Without a toy are us Bear..

7. paint and rust repairs

8. A happy Wife..

9. Every year you have to fix something..

10. You have to drive across town to buy gas with out the ethanol in it.

11.  I get this from every one - Why do you need all that stuff!! Just sell it and take the money.. If I did that I would just spend it and Not be-able to enjoy that old car smell..

partskf.JPG

IMG_8931.JPG

water pum.JPG

mo.JPG

lots of cars.jpg

toycar.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

8 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

$3000. will get you a 63 Buick Skylark Conv't.  Not cherry but doesn't look bad for the cash. 

I better stop looking or I will buy something I might regret in the morning ;)

https://southcoast.craigslist.org/cto/d/1963-buick-skylark-convertable/6571755828.html

00w0w_jhaTfPw59mo_600x450.jpg

00c0c_Gu2UZipanb_600x450.jpg

00X0X_5dMZx1RlR7s_600x450.jpg

Perfect for two yoots who want to take a trip to, say, Alabama.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Fool, for that $90,000  Rambler asking price you could get TWO 1932 Fords or one heck of a nice Brass Era car. Bob 

Just curious where are you buying your 1932 Fords and Brass era cars? I would like a dozen or so of each.

That 67 Tempest has the OHC 6, another radical engine from GM in the 60s, when they were still innovative.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:04 PM, nick8086 said:

The Young do not understand the bigger picture. The cost of ownership..

1.insurance

2. Cost of parts..

3. Cost of storage.

4. Cost of repairs. If you hire it done..

5. Car Trailer

6. and yes a Truck to pull that car trailer.. Without a toy are us Bear..

7. paint and rust repairs

8. A happy Wife..

9. Every year you have to fix something..

10. You have to drive across town to buy gas with out the ethanol in it.

11.  I get this from every one - Why do you need all that stuff!! Just sell it and take the money.. If I did that I would just spend it and Not be-able to enjoy that old car smell..

1. Way less than what I pay for my daily driver.

2. Depends on what it needs

3. Zero $, parked next to the daily driver in the garage

4. Depends on what it needs

5. Zero $, no trailer queens here

6. Again, Zero $, no trailer queens here

7. Zero $, all original HPOF awarded

8. Forget that. Happy wife happy life, no wife, much happier life since you don't have to waste your time making her happy.

9. True

10. Not possible. It would require a tank of gas just to get to a place that sells it.

11. Because a checkbook or cell phone isn't as exciting on a summer drive.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

How bout the Erksine right here on our forum?  Looks nice, roadworthy and not too expensive.  Ready for the local show, parade or ice cream run yet a little unique.  Get familiar with it, maybe become a "known expert" over time...

Old men have been picking out cars for young non-relatives for a long time, once you got past the "Hey! Git out of the yard" point.

If a car ran, but was nothing they would want it was a good car for a young person to learn on.

If the car wasn't too rusty, but they were having trouble with the woodchucks that burrowed under it, they called it a "good father and son project".

If it was real crap it was a good candidate for a hot rod.

That's my long term memory kicking in. I think the guidelines are fairly close today.

Bernie

oldman.jpg

I would take any one of the cars above if they were given to me with the stipulation I couldn't sell it.  I would drive them every nice day. 

When I was first starting in the Hobby,  like many 10-14 year olds I would have been thrilled to find cars like this.  My car right out of Highschool in 1994 was a 1968 Pontiac Strato chief sedan with some aftermarket "Ames" Seat covers.  I drove it year round in the Northeast as it was my sole transportation.  Manual steering and I can't recall but possibly manual brakes as well.  Chevy Powerglide with a 6 cylinder. 

When you are car poor or starved,  you will find a way to get a buzz off any old looking piece of iron. The cars I posted are all nicer than the 68 Pontiac I had.   With age and extra dollars in my paycheck I worked my way up. 

I never really cared for these mix and match cars.  I like the car to be vintage inside s well.  This still feels like you are driving a 90's Chevy.

Now if you want something a tad older with some top down enjoyment and a gear box you can shift,  here is a good candidate for $6000

Of course there always seems to be a decent Corvair for sale somewhere for a reasonable price. 

https://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/d/1963-corvair-monza-convertible/6579640597.html

00B0B_1F77Ydon80F_600x450.jpg

01212_2p7MydzOJKc_600x450.jpg

00u0u_e9FJ58H66gr_600x450.jpg

00k0k_OABFViLYqq_600x450.jpg