One reason the young cannot even think about buying an old car

Thanks for the post LINC400:

http://digitaleditions.walsworthprintgroup.com/article/New_HPOF_tier_for_original_cars/1017098/105680/article.html

9. Every year you have to fix something..

This one made two of my friends sell their  cars.. It was the cost of the parts..

700.00 for a part on my Cuda?

3. Zero $, parked next to the daily driver in the garage  - I have too many to do this.. Jake..

You want a car top buy cheap parts for,  buy an AMC mid 50's to 60's.  I can't give those parts away,  and we are talking beautiful chrome diecast tail light assemblies.  I'm lucky to get a bid at 14.99 when i list them.  Stepdown Hudsons and newer are also really cheap to buy parts for.  I wish I could find the parts for my 47 Hudson like I do for the 48 and newers. 

7 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

You want a car top buy cheap parts for,  buy an AMC mid 50's to 60's.  I can't give those parts away,  and we are talking beautiful chrome diecast tail light assemblies.  I'm lucky to get a bid at 14.99 when i list them.  Stepdown Hudsons and newer are also really cheap to buy parts for.  I wish I could find the parts for my 47 Hudson like I do for the 48 and newers. 

40's and early 50's Mopars as well. Value never seems to go up much and parts are pretty available. Old car experience at a reasonable  price

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

40's and early 50's Mopars as well. Value never seems to go up much and parts are pretty available. Old car experience at a reasonable  price

I still have room in the garage one of these days for a Dodge Wayfarer roadster if the timing is right when I find one some day.  

8 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I still have room in the garage one of these days for a Dodge Wayfarer roadster if the timing is right when I find one some day.  

Since I drove a 49 two door special deluxe in HS (Before I upgraded to a GTO) I always had an affinity for the wayfarer.   Have come close a few times.   I either want the window less early 49 or the very last one (and rarest) 51.

image.png.f5f2ae8931a5eccadee838ffa57d8278.png

I like the 49 Grille best.  I'll shoot for a 49 if I find one.  I'm not incredibly picky though,  just has to be rust free and not need everything.  There was a pretty nice one I think last year in Hemmings for under 20 G and I think that was close to 15G.  It was a pretty good buy in my opinion and in Maryland or WV I think. 

Now that I have the space I don't have the money or time for any more projects.  I guess you can't win. 

Best prewar buys, Ford A for an early 30s experience or Mopar for a more driveable, later experience.  Prolly shoulda bought that nice little yellow plymouth mr. Seeker.

So neither of you guys like the Wayfarer roadster on CL in CT, i think just over 10k..

The wayfarers just don't command alot of money.  The subject one I have examined the photos of before when I first saw it listed about a month ago and it needs alot of work to fimish it off.  With 35G invested and it in the state it's in with the quality of work I can see,  I think a potential buyer may find alot wrong.  At 35G you should have a car that's alot closer to being finished with better finish work already under way.

It's a 10G car and that's about it unfortunately.  Probably why it's still for sale.

"One reason the young cannot even think about buying an old car"

There have been several of those posted right here on the For Sale forum. I find the majority of cars listed for sale here (private or dealer) are in the ball park, but once a month or so, without fail, a real clown show pops up. I mean like listing a legitimate $5K or $40K car for $100K . This makes one wonder if the people listing these outrageously over-priced cars actually know anything at all about the real vintage car world or are they just hoping there really is someone out there who is truly that stupid, devoid of all financial acuity, but still in possession of a bottomless bank account who'd write a check for $100K without doing "just a little homework" first?

So if a person who is not an active member searches here for a car and sees one of these particular listings they probably just run the other direction.

I understand out the protocol of not questioning anyone's asking price once listed, but is this really doing the hobby any good?

Simply an observation.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

One issue I haven't seen addressed is where does a "youngster" KEEP an old car?

I can't for the life of me figure how ANYONE in California can afford to live there much less have extra room for "toys"....... :blink:

Apartment dwellers have it equally difficult to store large toys.

If you are young(ish), are fortunate enough to have extra money and are paying off a house you're probably doing well keeping the bills paid.

By the way,  they just dropped the price on the Wayfarer to 9G.   If it was any good it would have sold by now.  Seems like a really botched restoration that the previous owner bailed on.  The seller even said he took it on trade,  so the guy was fed up with the project.  Maybe the one bad shop after another scenario. 

11 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Maybe if we let our mothers pick out our girlfriends,  less of us would be divorced. 

Somehow Colombo and homicide just shot through my mind.

Through my early 20's I had a very wild girlfriend my Mother hated, two cars licensed as well as others, and rented two garages in town to work on cars.

The innocence of yoot.

012.jpg.0ab43bc4b9a0900b0eeb5cac28124f8b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

By the way,  they just dropped the price on the Wayfarer to 9G.   If it was any good it would have sold by now.  Seems like a really botched restoration that the previous owner bailed on.  The seller even said he took it on trade,  so the guy was fed up with the project.  Maybe the one bad shop after another scenario. 

Only possible reason the car has not sold.

The work to date has to be junk.  If the paint was done well,  the car would be sold.  If that chrome was done half decent that is 5k alone.

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The work to date has to be junk.  If the paint was done well,  the car would be sold.  If that chrome was done half decent that is 5k alone.

The new grille they have is all stainless steel in those cars and actually even NOS has very little value.  It didn't mention the condition of the bumpers and the potmetal doesn't look fresh to me.   Still at 9G would be a fun beater to put together for someone.  I'm a little leery of how good the engine is,  though even it says rebuilt,  the radiator is not hooked up,  so you can't tell how good it runs hot. 

If it was closer I would almost be compelled to take a look.  Though I need another project like a hole in the head.

The interior looks wrong to me as well. 

00y0y_7ptSslxuyAu_600x450.jpg

00m0m_letLmpNjbj4_600x450.jpg

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I think it's a big mistake to look at it like that. Assuming someone else has done your homework for you and that's why the car isn't sold isn't sound logic. I find that to be a common attitude, but none of my cars are junk and some sit for a while. I get calls from people who tell me, "If it was really a good car, someone would have bought it by now." Well, no. It is nice. It just hasn't caught anyone's attention yet. I can't explain why some cars sell and why some don't. but it isn't because they're trash. Sometimes a car isn't popular. Sometimes it's a slow season. Sometimes it's one car in a crowded field. Sometimes there just aren't any people who want that kind of car anymore. The buyers field for frumpy old Dodges is slim indeed.

Buyers on that Wayfarer aren't adding up the cost of work already done and thinking that it's junk because of the price. There just aren't many buyers for a late' 40s or early '50s Dodge, especially one without windows. I just picked up a nice 1954 Dodge Royal sedan with a little Hemi in it that's nicely restored and I bit it sits for a long, long time before finding the right guy. A finished car for well under $20K but it will have very few takers because there are very few people who even understand what it is or want such a thing. Young people would never even consider it and the guys who know what it is will want a sportier model. With the Wayfarer, young people aren't interested in such a thing and older guys who understand it will also understand that you can buy a finished one for $35K so this one doesn't make much economic sense. And I bet the seller hears, "I'd buy it, but my wife really needs a car with windows," from most of his potential buyers.

This Wayfarer sitting is more likely to be sitting because of demographics than crappy workmanship. If you're interested, pursue it. You might be surprised because you're the only one who did.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

To Bernie's point, or even if it was not the point, its all about interest.  Of a young person, or anyone wants to do something badly enough they can figure it out.  If there's no money, you need to figure that out first, just like in 1971.  I have a pal who was building his T speedster in a basement, newlywed, no house.  They have a house now with a single car garage, and he is progressing nicely.  Simple car, but a full bare frame up build.  Not so different than many done at home back in the day, except he probably has to reach further for a group to network or pal around with.  My point being, he found a way on an average young guy income and family responsibilities, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also noticed it says sold on a bill of sale so no paperwork.   If someone in CT is buying it or MA that may be a huge problem as they have no title.  Not as much in NY if you can get all the appropriate paperwork to start from scratch,  But we also know it's changed hands atleast once so you are not buying it from a long term owner.

I'm also pretty good at looking at photos and seeing issues that will save me the time of personal inspection. 

No title is a problem in Florida also, many ads will say "clean title" which is important. What you can find here are interesting cars with no rust. Other than the Jeep and Judge I prefer two seaters and for some reason many halo cars find their way to Florida (more in south Florida but enough here I do not lack for candidates). Currently have three cars over 25 years old and all have AC.

Will admit that I tend to have common drivetrains. In my yout I had Jag 3.4s and 3.8s. For years I had at least three Pontiacs with 400 cid V8s. Then it was 3800s . Now have two 3800,  two 3.2, and one 3.6 V6s. Thus simplifies parts. since many are common. Biggest difference is that I used to buy 24 quart cases of oil (mostly 10w-40 and 30w racing). Now its Mobil 1 in 5 qt jugs.

So for someone new I'd recommend

a) something that is interesting

b) something you can enjoy while fixing up

c) something that has a common drivetrain and electronics with mass market cars.

So far any time I have looked for something, I have found exactly what I was looking for, usually locally.

2 hours ago, Bob Zetnick said:

Bob, he said you could buy 2 fords and a nice brass era car for less then the price of the Rambler Convertible. 

40 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

Bob, he said you could buy 2 fords and a nice brass era car for less then the price of the Rambler Convertible. 

No, it was an "or" he used....this is his original quote: "Fool, for that $90,000  Rambler asking price you could get TWO 1932 Fords or one heck of a nice Brass Era car. Bob" (his name is Bob too)...anyway, I do see a lot of neat brass era cars for less than the price of the Rambler.....unless a real rarity, you can get a nice brass era car for under $90,000...and real cheap if it's a Ford T!

I wish I could still find bench seat covers at K-Mart!

Ah, Kaiser shower curtain!

I bought my first "old" car when I was 16.  A 1970 Monte Carlo,  350 V8 with power-glide.  Listed in a news paper for $1000 and I got it for $900.  I had to sell it when I moved out of state.  At the time cars were still available and reasonable but that's not the case anymore.  I wish I held onto that car.  I think the classics are becoming really old and that shows.  When I bought my monte it was barely over 20 years old.  A similar car now would be a 1995 and who wants that?  a 1970 at this point is 48 years old.  My 37 Pontiac is 81 years old.  I did notice at SEMA this year there was a lot more 80's and 90's cars with immaculate rebuilds.  I've often thought about doing an early 90's firebird as I had one of those and would love to have one again.  I'd bet I could find a decent 92 firebird 6 for less than $1000 just like I did with the Monte.  I think the difference is that almost any car from 1972 and back seems special, even the lowliest family car.  After that it was only a few models each year that are sought after.  It's hard for a young person to find those few examples with a reasonable age and still running.  A 1995 mustang vs a Taurus?  Who would restore a taurus?

• Like 1

Bought this bone stock 1994 in 2011. Routine maintenance, tires, and polishing. Paid $9,000 and saved a lot of restoration work that may or may not have been done satisfactorily.

016.jpg.945d00ecbdc2ce7fafb047d99028858d.jpg

There are a lot of much older cars that were bought early or passed on, Father to Son. Stay in the loop for a while and listen. All is not as it seems.

That car should score very well at Hershey in 2019.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ossojones said:

I bought my first "old" car when I was 16.  A 1970 Monte Carlo,  350 V8 with power-glide.  Listed in a news paper for $1000 and I got it for $900.  I had to sell it when I moved out of state.  At the time cars were still available and reasonable but that's not the case anymore.  I wish I held onto that car.  I think the classics are becoming really old and that shows.  When I bought my monte it was barely over 20 years old.  A similar car now would be a 1995 and who wants that?  a 1970 at this point is 48 years old.  My 37 Pontiac is 81 years old.  I did notice at SEMA this year there was a lot more 80's and 90's cars with immaculate rebuilds.  I've often thought about doing an early 90's firebird as I had one of those and would love to have one again.  I'd bet I could find a decent 92 firebird 6 for less than $1000 just like I did with the Monte.  I think the difference is that almost any car from 1972 and back seems special, even the lowliest family car.  After that it was only a few models each year that are sought after.  It's hard for a young person to find those few examples with a reasonable age and still running.  A 1995 mustang vs a Taurus?  Who would restore a taurus?

Or you could buy a really nice Firebird,  that didn't need restoration for 5G or less.   Guaranteed to be cheaper than the clapped out $1000 one will be when you finish it. 

If you enjoy the journey though,  Go for it.