1934 LaS basket case attempt..

Just want to let you guys know Frank isnt doing well at all he liked you guys here alot! He has been fighting health issues for 4-5 years we spoke daily it reallly hurts me to see him like this.. His son updated me this morning with hes not doing well at all. I will not post to much here about Franks health. but i will let you guys know if he gets better or gets worse. I dont have the words for things like this normally and know that i see Frank like this I have less. This man was onery SP but would help anyone and is a true builder fabricator from VW bugs to Lasalles hot rods and jalopys he loved the automobile deeply his nash and lasalle where his dreams .. Ill let this sit for know im lost for the right words i just wanted to let you guys know what i know and that he is a great teacher builder father friend Dave  

Franks son Joe called with a update yesterday, It was a better day than the day before. Frank wants to let you guys know they are doing test and tying to find the problem, They suspect its lyme disease causing the problem. Frank has told me for the past few years he suspects that cause he was fine til he got bit by a tic.and has had some issues since. Ive pressured him to go to the DR but other than throwing him in the car and bringing him he wouldnt do it. Then a week ago or so he decided he would  go and did.  Ill update you guys asap keep sending well wishes and prayers please its really appreciated! Frank ,Dave and Joe 

• Like 4

Frank please keep fighting and you'll get better your posts give all reasons to work on are projects and the knowledge you share always helps someone,I know it doesn't need saying but if you need anything just ask,.  Dave

I'mmmm Baaaccckkk  !!  LOL/// I hope Matt leaves my eraratic posts up as is, and not "cleaned up", as thiose are part of my future post on my conditions as they morphed.  So....  :

>>>>>    Earlier today at 1PM, I was released from the Second of the two BEST Hospitals that I have ever dealt with in my 65.5 years...and both are within about 10 miles! from MY HOME, here in Mansfield, CT/   .....  I need a few days to try to condense what I need to say about my latest "grand adventure" in my life (so far ...lol)

So, I may take a week or whatever to delve into that whole big story ..... but I also choose to get the ball rolling about the LaSalles, as well as that DANG tree DID fall down bigtime, while I was.... um..er..."tied up" with that bigger issue.  Yes, I have a bunch of pics on the LaS as well as the big tree... sheeesshh, I knew it was huge, but seeing it laying where it now rests, really caught me by surprise.

100_0189.thumb.JPG.27998bfbccba3e88c196bb7b5c65c50c.JPG

Give me a day at least to get to the LaS/Tree post, as I need to contact quite a few folks who heard I was in deep -----.  Trust me I will update very soon.

Thanks for all the kind words....even those from the guy from Fitchburg...whom I call The "Hoodlum"...AKA ....Dave50 on Hamb...(that same Dave that posted twice on my thread as this adventure unfolded.)  Oh,... he really IS a hoodlum...lol  (that be a compliment, in case you did not catch it..  :) )

Frank

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Welcome back. Don't do that again.

Not to worry, Big John.... I KNOW It would be Impossible for a repeat... Proof will be in a "later post on the medical issues".

Ok, Tomorrow I need to pull the head off that one good running 34 engine.  I am positive some water got past the wadded up plastic baggies shoved into each intake/exhaust port hole on the block.  It is unfortunate I was not able to get to it sooner, meaning make sure I'd have time to pull the head to fix 3 broken head bolts, and then I would have been able to deal with the water in each valve or cylinder.

I seriously doubt there is any permanent damage after sitting this long, but I need to do this task in the AM,,,,  Then I MUST get going on the crash damage on the 86 Mercedes 420 SEL.  I checked all my phone messages and emails, and no word from the owner, but that was expected, as he said "no rush".   It will be an easy fix for sure, then I get to go full bore on the LaS motor, then get it in my cars' chassis.   I will take pics of that engine stuff all morning...or just perhaps 2 hours it "should take" to do that task of Head remove, and deal with water in there.  

I shall indeed,  ...Rock On   :)

• Like 1

Frank,  did you see the August Hemmings?  59k feel strong but you have single handily been pumping the 34 Lasalle market,  although I may be helping behind the scenes.   If I wasn't broke this would be sitting in my garage, too much money or not.

34Lasalle.jpg

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Frank,  did you see the August Hemmings?  59k feel strong but you have single handily been pumping the 34 Lasalle market,  although I may be helping behind the scenes.   If I wasn't broke this would be sitting in my garage, too much money or not.

No, I have not been a subscriber for at least 20? years now.

Interesting that you like the Coupe body in 34 LaS. Joe Green prefers that body style too.

...my Son originally preferred the coupe that was here a while back.  but now he prefers the conv. ???

Oh, boy...the meds are just way too strong!  I am wasted from 7am till now, trying to work through it.  It is getting better, so I will hit another cup of strong coffee to kill the meds.  I am scheduled to do outpatient group care tomorrow, and if the Doc is there, ...we neeed to talk!!   I can't drive as I am right now, so how can I get there tomorrow??? 

I need to salvage the poor 34 Conv body.   That is fact.   If it were a 35, i'd say the heck with it.

Convertibles have always ruled the day,  but there are certain cars where the coupe body looks better than the convertible coupe body.  On the 34 Lasalle I like them equally as well.

Also,  there is always the allure of a car that has only been marginally messed with.

• Like 3

Hello frank I know your a balls out guy but don't worry about the lasalle or the Nash take care of yourself,there's going to be a lot of tomorrows  for you,listen to the doctors first and your body second,you'll know when it's time to go full blast,in the mean time good to have you back looking forward to your knowledge and. Your fiery spirit,     Dave

• Like 3

Ok, I am stuck again.   The cylinder head on the one good 34 motor will not budge at all.   Here is a pic of a homemade puller using an old sparkplug with a 7/16" threaded rod welded in it.  This is lifting up by the plug hole, pushing down on two head studs.

100_0190.thumb.JPG.1908ea054a3c00799d048dcad8836573.JPG

^^ I do have one good used head that was removed many decades ago, but I'd like to save the head that is stuck.   On Ford flathead V8s with aluminum heads, those studs get stuck even worse than my LaS head.  Those Ford heads can be removed by using a hole saw to cut the corroision out, but it also loses material at each hole in those Ford Aluminum heads.  I don't think the LaS head has much extra material to sacrifice at some of the head stud holes, especially the outer ones like this pic shows.

I guess I need to wait for a better answer; maybe make one huge plate to pull on all 8 plug holes?

Also, yesterday, I did finally get the last luggage rack bracket freed up bu pressing out the main big hinge bolt.  I can't believe the aluminum castings survived, as the bolt was stuck very solid.  I used the press, but was difficult to hold the pieces straight by myself without helper.   And, I now know for sure these brackets were from the swamp 34 Conv body, as the first color was a dark Camel, then repainted dark blue, or Navy Blue...just like the body panels show.  Seems so strange I ended up with parts on ebay, that were from that old rough conv body.  Pics below of the dark camel colored paint that was hiding under the body side mouldings.

100_0184.thumb.JPG.9c3cc71465e5984c9a29bc31006df130.JPG100_0185.thumb.JPG.85d366fbd7b27268e7e7933b269d37d1.JPG100_0186.thumb.JPG.1b0f6c0ac9210dbf61261f581560c370.JPG

I will try to add a post with lots of pics, of the day I pulled the engine out of the rotted 34 Sedan, which I did find out was a replacement USED 34 engine, as the serial number does not match the body serial number.  So, that means that old sedan was driven a ton of miles over many decades!  I am seeing a pattern here in that some 34 owners used their cars a very, very long time... like they really were "special" cars to many owners.

100_0174.thumb.JPG.133d40392b645a940c2e2d3cf4bcf583.JPG

Ooops, I forgot to say a couple of things on the above post this morning^^   Those luggage rack brackets were sold on ebay by the "mystery guy" who actually was the fellow who hauled my two rough convertibles and a LOT of parts from Wisconsin, back to NYC area.   Then the 34 collection was broken up in two groups; one was the majority went to the estate I worked for, then there was a fair amount of loose 34 Cad and 34 LaS parts that were not wanted by the owner of the estate (before he passed away), and then these loose parts have been listed and selling on ebay for quite a few years, it seems.  I have to wonder how many 34 LaS goodies I have missed out on over the 10? Years? since the collection moved eastward from Minnesota.

Also, That fellow who brought the bulk of the collection to CT years ago, said there was a 34 convertible sedan in good condition at the CT collectors barn(s).  He assumed it was 34 LaS, but as I told him by our phone call, that it had to have been a 34 Cad, as Cad did make a conv sedan in 34, but LaS did not!

I doubt I will ever know where the two very rotted 4 dr sedan parts cars came from, or when.  They surely did not get hauled back from Wisconsin, (in my opinion), as it was a enclosed large car trailer.  There would not have been enough room even for just one sedan parts car, let alone two 34s, and where the 35 came from is really a mystery, as many parts are just not correct for 34s. (one rotted 34 sedan is still at the estate, future plans by the estate are unknown to me)

I do know where the decent survivor 34 black sedan and silver coupe came from, as I did see the file folders on both cars.  The Sedan came from the mid-Atlantic States, maybe I recall Virginia?, but came to CT via a dealer in Long Island NY, to the barn where it still resides.  The coupe came from the Midwest, perhaps Missouri I think I recall.  Both cars have titles and paper trail from what I saw in both file folders.  The black sedan is by far, "the most unmolested", of the entire group of 34s I worked with in the 4 years I helped out there.

Frank, perhaps a safer removal method for the head would be to take it to a machine shop that can use Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) to remove the studs? I know that you want to try to remove it yourself (I'm the same way, and would be trying to do it myself too :), but I don't have any rare cars like this!) but weigh that against potential damage of a rare head.

Glad to see you out and working on the cars again!

• Like 1

Frank... I really like your puller but I'd make six of them and put them in every spark plug hole... then douse the studs with Kroil or one of the many other penetrant formulas out there (ATF & acetone etc...) I don't think EDM would work as the engine would have to be submerged in a tank of the proper fluid. It might be a bit big for that. It may take some time. I had a particularly nasty stuck part on my lathe that sat around for 6 months before it came apart. It might not hurt to gently heat the head with a rose tip on an acetylene torch. That might help the juice get into the space between the studs and the head.

If you use multiple pullers, you can gently increase pressure along the entire length of the head.... put some juice in it, crank pu the pressure and wait a bit. Slow, but I suspect it will work. You aren't going to have the electrolytic problem that comes from the Ford "iron block / copper gasket / aluminum head" a real recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

Here's what worked for me on an easier situation, head removal on my 1922 Paige 6-66 (big six) which had been a running car, albeit with the worst valve and seat recession I've ever seen:  After I finally got it apart, I found a previous owner had reused a head gasket by coating both copper sides with Indian Head gasket shellac, causing the difficulty in removal.  The engine was still installed in the car.  I used a 2-point screw-tilt engine removal tool, with eye bolts thru old spark plugs in holes #2 and #5, and lifted the whole front end of the car with a cherry picker engine hoist.  Of course I had previously tried all the usual liquid remedies. Tapped around each stud hole with a brass hammer.  More liquids.  Wooden wedges.  Left it hanging. Two days later, while I was working in the shop, the gasket finally came apart.

We don't need a lot of height--a couple of inches is plenty to get the block and head separated, 

• Like 1