OPEN OR CLOSED HOOD QUESTION

Rooney3100

I just wanted to ask this question from many of you that have attended shows over the years.

Do you like to display your vehicle's with the Hood Open or Closed during the course of the Show?

This May will be my first AACA show and I was wondering which way to display my truck, it does change the original appearance of the vehicle when the Hood is open for display, I don't mind either way, I just wanted to get everyone's opinion about this...Thanks Steve M

Depending on what show and who is putting it on and not saying AACA, the general rule is if your hood is closed you don't want your car to be judged. Or if judged there is a heavy penalty. On the other hand depending on the show the judges want to see the car in it's clean form and after meeting with you will ask you to do all the openings hood doors trunk etc. It just depends on the show and it's rules.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

For AACA purposes the hood must be opened so that the engine category can be judged. With the hood closed you are giving up about 25% of the total points available for your vehicle. There is certainly a place for hood closed displays but at an AACA Show during judging is not the place for that.

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

For AACA purposes the hood must be opened so that the engine category can be judged. With the hood closed you are giving up about 25% of the total points available for your vehicle. There is certainly a place for hood closed displays but at an AACA Show during judging is not the place for that.

Thank you for the info Matthew, after viewing different events here on the forum, there were cars & trucks with the hood closed and the hood open, this helps me a great deal when I attend the AACA shows...STEVE M

2 hours ago, helfen said:

Depending on what show and who is putting it on and not saying AACA, the general rule is if your hood is closed you don't want your car to be judged. Or if judged there is a heavy penalty. On the other hand depending on the show the judges want to see the car in it's clean form and after meeting with you will ask you to do all the openings hood doors trunk etc.

Thank you for the info....

49 minutes ago, Rooney3100 said:

Thank you for the info....

My understanding about why at some shows they want to start with the car clean (  hood down, doors closed and decklid down)  is so when the judges walk up to the car they can look for paint match and body seam gaps. But the owner must be present and is then asked to open the car up for inspection. kind of makes sense in that regard. 

For judging at point judged events, yes the hood opened but for mere display purposes I enjoy looking at cars with the hood closed.  At the cruise nights and local "so-called" car shows, nearly every single vehicle has the hood open.  For some makes--great.  But my 1937 Ford looks way better with the hood closed.  Some cars have a design that makes the car look like it is moving even while sitting still.  An open hood (and open trunk) disrupts that flow of design.  I have finally convinced my brother to display his 1941 Buick with the hood down.  The car looks ten times better with the hood down. 

And at an AACA meet, the National Awards Judges are also on the field. Owners need to make sure both have been by before they close up.

I agree that the best way to view a car's lines is with the hood down. That's why our region's photographer tries to shoot as many as possible as they drive on the show field.

I'm a hood closed guy, but I understand the judging requirements.  So, if my hood is closed when  you come by and you want to see a 221 cubic inch flathead V8, ask me to open it.  (That applies to judges and spectators)  

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spilling error (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

if it is just a normal engine, nothing special about the engine I would leave it closed for non judging events. If the detailing is spectacular you might want to open it ! I have had photographers ask me to open it for a photo op.  Wayne

Could someone with the current issue of the AACA Judging Standards please post the "Hood Rule", I can't recall seeing any Stanley Steamers, Model  A or T Fords or any early cars with the hoods open to the wind. I've always thought the owner that cared about his/her vehicle stood by while the Judges inspected the vehicle and had factory literature, and answers to any questions. We always asked the owner to open the hood, doors and trunk. Body gaps are judged with things closed, if they are open the body judge has every right to ask them to be closed. Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Nine times out of ten, this is why judges want you at your vehicle when its time to be judged.  I have run into that problem several times where the owner was not present when it was his turn for his vehicle to get judged.

If the hood and/or trunk are open, then the team will judge inside, and mark '0' for alignment/fit on those parts that are opened.

Craig

26 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Nine times out of ten, this is why judges want you at your vehicle when its time to be judged.  I have run into that problem several times where the owner was not present when it was his turn for his vehicle to get judged.

If the hood and/or trunk are open, then the team will judge inside, and mark '0' for alignment/fit on those parts that are opened.

Craig

If I was the body judge and things were open and the owner was missing, I'd assume the gaps were poor and take a deduction. Bob

8 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Could someone with the current issue of the AACA Judging Standards please post the "Hood Rule", I can't recall seeing any Stanley Steamers, Model  A or T Fords or any early cars with the hoods open to the wind. I've always thought the owner that cared about his/her vehicle stood by while the Judges inspected the vehicle and had factory literature, and answers to any questions. We always asked the owner to open the hood, doors and trunk. Body gaps are judged with things closed, if they are open the body judge has every right to ask them to be closed. Bob

The judging guidelines can be downloaded from the home page at AACA.org.

6 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Craig

I don't understand your comment. An AACA judge does not "mark '0' for alignment/fit on those parts that are opened." An AACA judge deducts point for items that are not as delivered to the buyer as new. An AACA judge does not "mark '0'" for anything on a judging sheet", they simply take deductions where warranted. This comment makes me suspect that you are not, and probably have never been an AACA judge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

If I was the body judge and things were open and the owner was missing, I'd assume the gaps were poor and take a deduction. Bob

There is not a "body judge" in AACA judging. There is an Exterior Judge. I have to assume you are not and probably have never been an AACA Judge. As an AACA Judge you would be trained that you don't assume anything or take a deduction for an assumption.

The original question was answered long ago. Random opinions or comments that misrepresent AACA Judging are not helpful to the original poster or anyone else who may be reading this discussion.

• Like 1

Years ago I was present on the judging field and watched the judge give a 1903 automobile that had a reproduction transmission a perfect score for the engine/transmission compartment. How do I know the transmission was a repro? I helped restore the car. It was clearly evident that he judge was out of his element and should not have been in that class. DO AWAY WITH JUDGING AND ACCEPT THE VEHICLES FOR WHAT THEY ARE!  

6 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I don't understand your comment. An AACA judge does not "mark '0' for alignment/fit on those parts that are opened." An AACA judge deducts point for items that are not as delivered to the buyer as new. An AACA judge does not "mark '0'" for anything on a judging sheet", they simply take deductions where warranted. This comment makes me suspect that you are not, and probably have never been an AACA judge.

I have never been an AACA judge.  My '0' should mean 'unable to judge', meaning full points would be lost on panel fit of the opened items.  For example, say one deducts up to 5 points for each panel, I would probably deduct a full 5 points because I cannot see proof of fit. 

Craig

If you leave the hood open more men spend time looking at your car. Women look a little longer when the hood is closed. Especially a Buick. They seem to attract 50ish women. The older I get the more I like that.

Bernie

9 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

If you leave the hood open more men spend time looking at your car. Women look a little longer when the hood is closed. Especially a Buick. They seem to attract 50ish women. The older I get the more I like that.

Bernie

I can attest to that.  The wife of one of a local car club member is a 'car person' and likes seeing my photos of the entire car, but expressed to me her dislikes of close-ups of engines, steering wheels, taillights, etc.  That's proof right there men are from Mars, and women are from Venus.

Craig

This is a question I have often pondered.  For show attendees who want to take photographs, the cars make for better composition with the hood and doors closed.  But for those spectacular engine compartments, we want to show them off, and there are many curious to see them.  My solution is to definitely open it (and be present) for judging.  Then afterward, alternate between open and closed every hour or so. 

...and by the way, many thanks to all who serve as judges. 

Andrew

Edited by Akstraw (see edit history)

This topic has "morphed" into a judging question and has deviated from the open or closed question. As far as A.A.C.A judging is concerned, there aren't very many people that are skilled in judging several different marques of automobiles. One may be an expert in judging early '30 Chevys or '60s era Fords, but it is very rare to find someone that knows them all. I have seen Model A Fords and V-8 Fords on A.A.C.A. show fields that are not even close to correct and have won trophies. I have found that early Ford's that have been judged by M.A.R.C. and M.A.F. C. A. or the V-8 Club of America are "right on the money" and the reason for this is that those judges can concentrate on one particular make of vehicle and study what's right and wrong. Even with that, there are experts in '34 Fords and experts in '40 Fords. I think with the huge cross section of cars that they have to judge, the A.A.C.A. judges do a fairly good job. By the way, when I go to a show I never open my hood unless some one asks to see the engine and I always place a sign on the windshield that says "Please Do Not Judge".

On 3/20/2016 at 0:16 PM, Rooney3100 said:

I just wanted to ask this question from many of you that have attended shows over the years.

Do you like to display your vehicle's with the Hood Open or Closed during the course of the Show?

This May will be my first AACA show and I was wondering which way to display my truck, it does change the original appearance of the vehicle when the Hood is open for display, I don't mind either way, I just wanted to get everyone's opinion about this...Thanks Steve M

Actually the initial question was an owner who was going to go to his first AACA show and was wondering if he should display the car with the hood open or closed for that show.

For AACA judging, the hood and trunk have to be open.

From the judging guidelines, "The Team Captain will open hoods in the absence of the owner."  "All trunk interiors will be viewed and judged, including rack trunks (add on)."

He can leave the hood and trunk closed and have to open them up for the judging team, and again for the national awards team, or he can hope that the team captain has no problems opening the hood and trunk up if he is not there. The practical and most commonly accepted method of dealing with this is to simply leave the hood and trunk open for AACA judging.  

On 3/22/2016 at 7:08 AM, 3makes said:

Years ago I was present on the judging field and watched the judge give a 1903 automobile that had a reproduction transmission a perfect score for the engine/transmission compartment. How do I know the transmission was a repro? I helped restore the car. It was clearly evident that he judge was out of his element and should not have been in that class. DO AWAY WITH JUDGING AND ACCEPT THE VEHICLES FOR WHAT THEY ARE!  

I could not agree any more about doing away with judging.

3 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I could not agree any more about doing away with judging.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Points judged is the fair way to go.

Need for qualified judges, yes.

Want to do away with judging? Just put your car in the display only category. DONE

Do away with popular voting? yes. Nothing worse than the red car getting the popular votes or the 2 dr. hardtop or convertible getting the nod over a beautiful 4 dr. sedan. What is even worse is in inter club shows where everyone in a particular club or group of friends all vote for a club member or friends car when it's obvious that the car next to it in competition is way better. 

On 3/22/2016 at 7:08 AM, 3makes said:

Obviously, you restored it so it looked like the way it came from the factory...

Off topic, but I also am in the "do not judge camp".  But if a person wants to compete, that is good for the people who want to go to a big show and see things done to factory-new specs.

however... :) ....

Many years ago, AACA based judging at the Junior and Senior levels, helped destroy so many very nice original survivor cars, because there was not a preservation class then.  I've never been lucky enough to find a nice survivor, and now I would prefer to take a drive, rather than work on a difficult restoration :( 

Thanks everyone for your Replies, I will be leaving my Hood open and I will be there for the judging, The reason why I want to take my truck to an AACA event is because ever since I finished the restoration I can't bring myself to driving it down the road just yet, I put a lot of money and time into this restoration and went over the top on finding NOS parts for it, I want to go into the show with an open mind and have fun no matter what the outcome, I will let the truck speak for it's self, I know there will be some nice vehicles on display and I appreciate the original VS. modified vehicles, seems like there are more of them out there than original vehicles anymore, Knowing the designs of these cars when the hood or trunks are open it gives it the Dealer showroom look vs. going down the road look, again Thank You all for the comments...More are welcome.....STEVE M 

It's true that there are way more modified ones out there, and yes it is very nice to see a stock one.  A friend has a 1951 3100 pickup that was sold new in town, and he got it from the original family with I think less than 20,000 miles.  It did get a professional repaint in original color.  My friend does take it out, but mainly only when he stops for a visit here :).  He never brings a car to a show, though.

It is amazing to feel a low mileage 3 speed column shifter, how perfect the steering feels, and the motor is so quiet at idle, that you can barely hear it.

He wouldn't step on the flawless black painted running boards, but finally put a piece of that clear chip guard in the center, so he can get in better.  He has other mint cars, but prefers to drive a survivor 62 Valiant 2dr sedan that I found for him when he wanted one.  he drives the wheels off of that car, not fearing a random stone chip LOL

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

As a spectator taking many photos I understand that the hood is to be open for judging.  I like to see an interesting older engine and often photograph the engine.  However if an owner sees me taking photos of his/her auto and offers to close the hood for a photo I really appreciate their willingness to do so.  The thing I do not like is finding Corvettes with front hinged hoods open.  If cars are parked close together and you have to take a photo from the front of the car, the open hood on the Corvette distorts the attractiveness of the car and makes an other wise beautiful car just another car.  If the only option is to take a photo of a Corvette is from the front and the hood up I usually skip taking a photo. 

I used to both contribute to the judging rules and created the "platinum" class for a major (10,000+) marque club. I found that the people wanting to be judged often used that to bump up the price. I also found that few really knew what was correct & few judges were willing to judge to the same level (e.g. date codes). My pet peeve was all of the cars with "original" R-59 batteries. No production car left the line with an R-59 (or Y-59) battery.

Finally I just got tired of picking apart nice cars. Once even had a contest to see if anyone could tell how many things were "wrong" with my personal car. Haven't judged this century. Do find the auctions on TV hilarious.