Name this Hershey mystery part

greenie

Probably means his son just digs through the piles of parts that guys leave at their spots or in the garbage cans rather than drag it home and store for another year, Good idea. Doubtful that anything of big value gets thrown away but every little bit helps when a youngster is trying to raise money. Teaches him not to have such a disposable lifestyle as well. 

Guest AlCapone

Probably means his son just digs through the piles of parts that guys leave at their spots or in the garbage cans rather than drag it home and store for another year, Good idea. Doubtful that anything of big value gets thrown away but every little bit helps when a youngster is trying to raise money. Teaches him not to have such a disposable lifestyle as well.

I myself would find it demeaning to the child and would not expose him to that ridicule! Wayne

There really are people who search dumpsters--

and they're not all beggars and bums!

In our area, curbside large-trash day

may bring out normal middle-class people

who look over other people's cast-offs.

Evidently some vendor thought it not

worth keeping, so its value to a son's

college fund would be minuscule.

But to the right car owner, it may be just what he needed.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I myself would find it demeaning to the child and would not expose him to that ridicule! Wayne

Wayne, you need to get out more. For the last 50 years there has been a ritual that takes place at Hershey on Saturday afternoon. As the thousands of vendors pack up to leave, parts of every variety are left next to the Hershey trash barrels by vendors who feel they have carted that thing around enough. As they depart, a dedicated group of "dumpster divers" circulate the grounds examining the "spoils".  I have seen hoods,doors,  cylinder heads,and much more left behind. Certainly it would be a shame for useful antique auto parts to be discarded when others might put that part to good use.

• Like 1

Demeaning?  I don't think so.  Ever hear the expression "One man's trash is another man's treasure"?

This said by a guy who still picks up pennies in the parking lot. 

While in collage on the G.I. Bill, I built a bicycle from trash pile junk.  I could chain it to a tree in the parking lot and use it to get to all my classes when I arrived on campus.  It was so ugly that nobody ever stole it or borrowed it.  When I graduated I took the chain & lock and

left the bike for the next thrifty student,  Demeaning?  Not at all, and I still pick up pennies too.

• Like 1

I got an operational Pines Winter-Front with Peerless emblem for my '28 Peerless Boat Tail on the "Saturday Leftover Pile". Identical to the ones included on some higher-cost models and dealer accesories from 1925-1928. Actually I got the winterfront first, car second. An editor over at Hemmings Motor News snagged it at the 2007 Hershey Meet and posted it on their blog.

Here's one to top it off.

A friend of mine was cleaning out his garage and sent me a picture of stuff sent to the curb.  On top of the pile was a set of 1959-1960 Cadillac Fleetwood/Eldorado hub caps.  By the time I messaged him back and said those caps were worth about $300-500 each, he said, "meh, the garbage pickers already took them, why, did you want them?"

My heart sunk that day.

Guest AlCapone

Wayne, you need to get out more. For the last 50 years there has been a ritual that takes place at Hershey on Saturday afternoon. As the thousands of vendors pack up to leave, parts of every variety are left next to the Hershey trash barrels by vendors who feel they have carted that thing around enough. As they depart, a dedicated group of "dumpster divers" circulate the grounds examining the "spoils".  I have seen hoods,doors,  cylinder heads,and much more left behind. Certainly it would be a shame for useful antique auto parts to be discarded when others might put that part to good use.

I have been to Hershey for 25 years except this year. I never on one occasion saw children climbing into dumpsters. Still find it demeaning. Just because it happens does not make it right. I personally would think it would be the beggars and the destitute and my grandchildren will never do it as long as their grandpa is living ! Where dies the dumpster diving stop? Is it okay to search for food behind restaurants. Sorry but not an activity for my children. Wayne

I think he needs a hug.

Wayne, there are no dumpsters on the Hershey flea market field. But there are trash cans. Folks leave car parts, sometimes valuable ones, by the trash cans. Enterprising young (and old) car nuts pluck out the choicest morsels and either use them or sell them. Either way, its less junk the Region workers have to lug off- and some of the items find useful reuse. Demeaning? Don't suggest that to my soon to be 18 year old who has been repeating this ritual for at least 10 years. Oh, he may miss next year- seems he'll be in college studying mechanical engineering- with a career desire in the automotive field. If going to Hershey helped in any way to guide him to this point.......THANKS!

• Like 1

Guest AlCapone

I also understand both opinions. Sorry if I offended anyone and I did think if was meant that the boy was entering or diving into a dumpster! My apologies! Smiles from Wayne!

The Hershey trash-can search was always fascinating to see.  I've retrieved a few pieces from nearby over the years.  One year over in the white field, a nearby vendor decided to just retire and tossed a box of dog-bone radiator caps, motometer wings, etc into the trash can.  Retrieved them pretty quicily and a couple of them are still up in one of my showcases.  A friend of mine had a neighbor leave behind a frame for an early Maxwell (1908?).  We couldn't figure out how to get it home so just left it.   Saw a whole hundle of NOS stainless trim dumped one year.  Most of it still had original GM tags/parts numbers still attached.   That load went quickly.  Hershey is an amazing experience!

About 6-7 years ago I found a 1940 Cadillac front bumper sitting next to a trash can on Friday evening all by itself in the middle of the Chocolate Field.   It was straight, but needed to be rechromed of course.   I brought it home, cleaned it up, and have brought it to Hershey for several years now to sell.  Finally this year I sold it for $30.   Paid for dinner that night.  I'm glad I saved it and was able to pass it on to someone who could use it.               

I have been " dumster diving " for years , Built my first garage from material companys throw away . We have a throw away world. Have got a lot of  tools Companys discard.  Found a crate of stainless sheets 4 by 10 ft , Made a sliding board for the kids. Guess some of us didn't come from a lot of money . We learned early you do with what youhave .  Kings32

• Like 1

Every year I put some items on top of nearby trash can. We watch people go by glance at them, stop and study what it is. Some pick ot up, some pick it up several times while looking around to see if anyone is watching. Then, Like an ant eater its in the cart he is pulling. Many laughs while no one is shopping the good stuff I have.

Guest AlCapone

Every year I put some items on top of nearby trash can. We watch people go by glance at them, stop and study what it is. Some pick ot up, some pick it up several times while looking around to see if anyone is watching. Then, Like an ant eater its in the cart he is pulling. Many laughs while no one is shopping the good stuff I have.

I can actually vision it happening. Not too Proud to do it just too proud to be seen doing it ! Wayne

John, if you are dreaming about me I am worried for you!   AACA and HE & R are more than happy folks police up the field on Saturday!  I am glad folks find a use or simply take the left overs from vendors.  Someday, SOMEONE might actually need the part or turn it into something useful.  Gotta go now before my fries get any soggier...even thought they are not in my normal diet I did have to get one order of Bricker's fries. 

Greenie-

Not sure what the part is - but have enjoyed reading the post and replies very much!  

You and your son will never forget the adventures you've had in this hobby!

And YES I consider myself an accomplished 'diver.'

;)

p.s. Where I come from they call it 'junkin'

I have been to Hershey for 25 years except this year. I never on one occasion saw children climbing into dumpsters. Still find it demeaning. Just because it happens does not make it right. I personally would think it would be the beggars and the destitute and my grandchildren will never do it as long as their grandpa is living ! Where dies the dumpster diving stop? Is it okay to search for food behind restaurants. Sorry but not an activity for my children. Wayne

Last dumpster I got the rights to after the owners filled it allowed me to turn a $1,500. profit, it felt so demeaning. Bob 

• Like 1

I know a fellow that owns half of the town he lives in and holds the mortgage for the other half. Then every day he tours the town dump for scrap metal. If you seen him dumpster diving you would offer him your loose change for a coffee and sandwich. Appearance's can be deceiving.

•  
  • Like 1

I have personally seen dumpster diving pay off. Several years ago I was tossing some used plastic drums at a county recycling/trash facility. An old lady in front of my truck ask if she could dispose of her deceased husbands firearms in the dumpster. He said yes as long as they were unloaded. In they went and in short order so did he (beat me to it). Reappeared with around $2500.00 worth of pistols.

Ok I didn't get this one diving at Hershey but I did buy it their and can't seem to figure out what it goes to.  Any guesses while we are on Hershey mystery parts?  It's Mopar and appears to possibly be a rear bumper guard to a wagon but I can't figure out any more than that other than the packaging wasn't used much after 1955 or 1956.  The part is stamped DDCP so it is Mopar.  

post-86835-0-80777400-1445949624_thumb.jpost-86835-0-30532500-1445949633_thumb.jpost-86835-0-18040100-1445949642_thumb.jpost-86835-0-62198800-1445949648_thumb.j

I have never found anything I felt I had a use for in the Hershey treasure cans but was surprised at some of the stuff I saw left behind. Of course I am starting to learn that even free stuff sometimes isn't a good deal.  Especially when you start tripping over it in the shop. 

I will say I have personally picked a few bones off some scrap cars at the local dump when they still got them in and more than one gas pump has been retrieved from the scrap metal pile. 

Guest AlCapone

Last year we watched a couple place their blue bag from their portable toilet in the trash can every day and I don't care what is in there it is not worth diving in ! Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

Last year we watched a couple place their blue bag from their portable toilet in the trash can every day and I don't care what is n there it us not worth diving in ! Wayne

I still say it depends on (no pun their) what else is in that same barrel and whether it's on top of or underneath their Daily deposit. I would risk it for some Cord parts for sure.  It isn't much worse than digging through all the mouse excrement that usually accompanies most of these parts over the years.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

I still say it depends on (no pun their) what else is in that same barrel and whether it's on top of or underneath their Daily deposit. I would risk it for some Cord parts for sure.  It isn't much worse than digging through all the mouse excrement that usually accompanies most of these parts over the years.

Knowing you like I do I can't believe you just said that! Wayne

Last year we watched a couple place their blue bag from their portable toilet in the trash can every day and I don't care what is in there it is not worth diving in ! Wayne

You and the owner are the only ones that knew, if it wasn't leaking, parts and literature worth taking would have been. Bob 

Hmm, not sure how to take this or answer it. I guess that 1st the term "dumpster diving" is more colloquial than literal. As to walking by a part at Hershey near the trash on Sat and seeing that it's something you or a friend needs, hey I'm not so proud or holy that I'll leave because it was tossed in the trash. Conversely, I once had a guy who was just released from prison start preaching to me that I didn't know what it was like to have to eat from garbage cans. I was 15, he was 63. Used to showing respect for my elders I started to say something a bit polite but immediately switched to my "drunken sailor" language, informing him that he's right and I never will. Use you imagination as to the words I used growing up in a family of construction workers and race car enthusiasts. Then there's this "thing" that just chaps my hiney about the perception of our precious children today. They're our offspring, not some miracle or the 2nd coming or some prize to held up like a soccer trophy. I was 14 when I painted my 1st complete vehicle. At 13 I could use filler and spray primer. At 12 I could work a cutting torch. All during those formative years I also shoveled concrete, hauled bricks and cinder blocks, mixed mortar, helped build homes by hauling wood and even nailing down floors. There's more but it would take too long to list it, but it's safe to say that my Dear Ol Dad would have been tossed in jail for the things I was taught and allowed to do if it were today. That's a sad commentary on our society as far as I'm concerned. It's just as sad that many of our schools consider skilled trades as "alternative career path" jobs, as if some 1/2 wit could "only" be a plumber, carpenter, electrician, brick mason, welder/fabricator. All skills that today net close to and over 6 figures annually vs leaving all that college education with a 6 figure debt and the ability to make less than $50K/year (not all college courses but too many). 

My kid? Usable part on the ground or in the trash can? "Yo! Son! Grab that (fill in the blank)!" The look on his face of getting a score on any free part is worth more than anything you could imagine. Is this harsh? Unrealistic? Not when one considers the age of some of our most notable musicians over the last 50 years when they made their mark. But closer to our world, Franklin Hershey (Murphy Coachbuilders) was only 21 when he designed and coordinated the build of the car shown here. And for the record, yes I have indeed found things in the trash that were seriously valuable including some tools I still use decades later. I'm actually sad for those protected from such adventures and experience. 

post-115850-0-55169200-1446039628_thumb.

Guest AlCapone

Hmm, not sure how to take this or answer it. I guess that 1st the term "dumpster diving" is more colloquial than literal. As to walking by a part at Hershey near the trash on Sat and seeing that it's something you or a friend needs, hey I'm not so proud or holy that I'll leave because it was tossed in the trash. Conversely, I once had a guy who was just released from prison start preaching to me that I didn't know what it was like to have to eat from garbage cans. I was 15, he was 63. Used to showing respect for my elders I started to say something a bit polite but immediately switched to my "drunken sailor" language, informing him that he's right and I never will. Use you imagination as to the words I used growing up in a family of construction workers and race car enthusiasts. Then there's this "thing" that just chaps my hiney about the perception of our precious children today. They're our offspring, not some miracle or the 2nd coming or some prize to held up like a soccer trophy. I was 14 when I painted my 1st complete vehicle. At 13 I could use filler and spray primer. At 12 I could work a cutting torch. All during those formative years I also shoveled concrete, hauled bricks and cinder blocks, mixed mortar, helped build homes by hauling wood and even nailing down floors. There's more but it would take too long to list it, but it's safe to say that my Dear Ol Dad would have been tossed in jail for the things I was taught and allowed to do if it were today. That's a sad commentary on our society as far as I'm concerned. It's just as sad that many of our schools consider skilled trades as "alternative career path" jobs, as if some 1/2 wit could "only" be a plumber, carpenter, electrician, brick mason, welder/fabricator. All skills that today net close to and over 6 figures annually vs leaving all that college education with a 6 figure debt and the ability to make less than $50K/year (not all college courses but too many). 

My kid? Usable part on the ground or in the trash can? "Yo! Son! Grab that (fill in the blank)!" The look on his face of getting a score on any free part is worth more than anything you could imagine. Is this harsh? Unrealistic? Not when one considers the age of some of our most notable musicians over the last 50 years when they made their mark. But closer to our world, Franklin Hershey (Murphy Coachbuilders) was only 21 when he designed and coordinated the build of the car shown here. And for the record, yes I have indeed found things in the trash that were seriously valuable including some tools I still use decades later. I'm actually sad for those protected from such adventures and experience. 

attachicon.gif1st_pics 588.JPG

Yes I agree with picking up a part laying beside a trash container. I do not agree with getting inside a garbage container for parts or food, have a great da! Wayne