American orphan car list suggestions

Guest Johnboy650

Guest Johnboy650

Greetings,

I am putting together a list of classic American orphan car makers and could use help with any that I may have left off.

Any help would be great!

DeSoto - Chrysler
Eagle - Chrysler
Imperial - Chrysler
Plymouth - Chrysler
Edsel - Ford
Mercury - Ford
Marquette - GM
Geo - GM
La Salle - GM
Saturn - GM
Oakland - GM
Oldsmobile - GM
Hummer - GM
Viking  - GM
Pontiac  - GM
Checker
DeLorean
Nash
Hudson
Studebaker
Pierce Arrow
Apollo
Hispano Suiza
MG
Austin-Healey
Rover
Triumph
Kaiser
Willys
Henry J
Crosley Motors
Tucker
Packard
Rambler 
Reo
Franklin 

post-108752-0-68823700-1433873863_thumb.

Maxwell and Chalmers, forerunner of Chrysler.

Erskine and Rockne from Studebaker.

Jeffrey,forerunner of Nash. Nash Rambler (twice). 

Essex and Terraplane from Hudson.

Willys and its companions Overland,  Willys Knight and Falcon Knight. Survived by the Jeep, a Willys product.

Marmon and Roosevelt,

REO and Wolverine.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

I am sure if you google it you will get an exhaustive list. What will your list be used for ? Wayne

I've seen lists that were into the thousands. The Standard Catalog of American cars 1805-1942 starts with Abbot-Akin and ends 1582 pages later with the ZIP car. Nearly all the manufacturers/makes in there with the exception of a few like Ford, Chrysler, etc. are no longer being produced.

My copy of The Gasoline Age (copyright 1937) has a list of more than 1,500 makes which were produced in the US at various times in the past. That list starts with the A.B.C. Motor Vehicle Company of St. Louis and ends, like the Standard Catalog, with the ZIP produced in Davenport, Iowa.

Nobody has said Paige? Also Jewett, and the company that took them over was Graham. Did anyone mention Metz? Its GM counterpart Cartercar, Carters former business partners in the Jackson automobile and its kissin' cousin the Fuller from Michigan. There was a different Fuller automobile from Nebraska.

Tucker

Fitch

Allard

Muntz (love the reference Earl "madman"Muntz...)

Meyers Manx

Oh no Laydon, please don't suggest he go down the what's a classic, or classic vs. Full Classic path here. Either you get it or you don't and it's been rehashed a thousand times!! :-)

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest AlCapone

I've seen lists that were into the thousands. The Standard Catalog of American cars 1805-1942 starts with Abbot-Akin and ends 1582 pages later with the ZIP car. Nearly all the manufacturers/makes in there with the exception of a few like Ford, Chrysler, etc. are no longer being produced.

My copy of The Gasoline Age (copyright 1937) has a list of more than 1,500 makes which were produced in the US at various times in the past. That list starts with the A.B.C. Motor Vehicle Company of St. Louis and ends, like the Standard Catalog, with the ZIP produced in Davenport, Iowa.

You can't do better than this and this way the post won't go On for several years. Can you please tell us what the list will be used for ?

Wayne

Tucker

Fitch

Allard

Muntz (love the reference Earl "madman"Muntz...)

Meyers Manx

Oh no Laydon, please don't suggest he go down the what's a classic, or classic vs. Full Classic path here. Either you get it or you don't and it's been rehashed a thousand times!! :-)

Prior to 1776, we were a British colony but Sydney Allard build his cars in Jolly Olde a bit later than that

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)

Guest Johnboy650

Thank you for everyone's contribution. I am building a classic orphan car forum and want to include a list of orphan car clubs.

I will use your suggestions to build a list of clubs for these makes. I will post a link to the site when it's up and ready in July! :D

Always willing to admit when I'm wrong. There was a Triumph made in the US: The Triumph Motor Company of Chicago, IL, 1906-1909, It was called "The Triumph".

Here are a few obscure, Pre-War (some pre-WWI) makers, which we may overlook, from A to Z:

Adams

Barbarino

Californian

Darling

Economy

Famous

Galloway

Hackett

Ideal

Jackson

Kline Kar

Lexington