Buying a car from out of state private seller...

Guest Wendal

So I am in the process of buying a 1970 Dodge Charger from a guy in Minnesota. I'm in Texas. He is selling me the car for $12,500.

The car was on ebay and I called the number given to ask some questions. He agreed to end the auction early and sell it to me for $12,500. I will be mailing him a check and once my check clears I will have the car shipped to me via auto shippers.

Now this guy SEEMS like he is legit and won't screw me. 'Screw me' as in take my money and I never get the car. But what kinds of things can i do to protect myself to make sure i don't get screwed? I am not purchasing the car through ebay because he ended the auction early to sell it to me so i am not protected by ebay.

What types of things do i need to find out about him before i send him the check?

The car is originally from Alabama and according to buyer has been in MN for 8 years in storage. Rust is minimal. At least it appears to be from the photos.

Seems like you already made a deal. Shouldn't you have thought about this earlier?

Forget about escrow. No seller will bother with that.

I did make the deal but i can always change my mind if it doesn't feel right. I have not sent him the check yet.

I just need some advice to help insure I don't send him the money and i don't ever get a car.

What kinds of things can i do or info i should obtain from seller before sending the check?

If this is the first and only time you plan to do something like this it is probably not a good idea. If it is the first time and you are willing to buy and sell on a fairly regular basis you will learn to buy better and what to do with the ones that don't meet your expectations. It evens out in the long run.

For a quick check, if the money came out of a tin can in the garage where you stash money from hobby related deals, you can handle it. If the money came from the home equity line of credit, better grit your teeth and put it back.

Bernie

I bought 5 cars sight unseen.

I spent plenty of time on the phone and received enough photos to be sure I was getting what I thought I was getting.......twice from sellers on this forum....... :)

You can look until you're blue in the face.......something you can't see is bound to turn up.......but I've been happy with my purchases.

I did make the deal but i can always change my mind if it doesn't feel right. I have not sent him the check yet.

True, but I'm sure the seller thinks he has a deal. If you have talked to him on the phone and felt comfortable and you google his name and a bunch of law suits don't turn up you are probably ok.

Seems to me that if I were going to spend $12,500.00 on a car, I would make a quick weekend flight there and back possibly the same day to do the deal. Worth missing a days work instead of losing that kind of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, a round-trip plane ticket is cheaper than repairing something you didn't expect. You can't find a single day to hop up there and have a look? Send him a $500 deposit with the balance to be paid upon satisfactory inspection. That way he knows you're serious and you buy yourself some time to get up there. You should be able to fly anywhere in the country for less than $1000. Is it worth $1000 to have some peace of mind over $12,500? Think of it as insurance, which I'm sure you pay each month without a second thought.

If you don't look at the car yourself, it won't be what you expect. It might be better, it might be worse (most likely), but it won't be what you think it will be. And ultimately, if you're having concerns about sending a check, then maybe you should trust your gut. However, if you back out, you really should offer to pay for another auction for the guy since he ended it early for you.

If you really want the car, get on a plane and go look at it and meet the owner face-to-face. That way it doesn't go sideways on you somehow. Good luck!

Do not buy this car without you looking it over or at least have a Pre Purchase Inspection done buy AAG (Auto Appraisers Group)or similar company. Having a PPI done lets you know that this car actually exists. The owner should be willing to hold the auto until an inspection is completed.

Did you ask for a copy of the title?

Like Matt H. said, go check it out yourself or have the PPI done

I had AAG inspect a car before purchasing and they were 100% correct in their description.

I've bought 3 sight unseen

36 Cord phaeton needed full restoration but deal was right from a private individual. I had a friend look it over for me (completely happy with the purchase)

49 Mercury coupe suppose to be a nice car needing some minor things from a private individual. I had a different friend look it over (not what it was suppose to be) Somehow I'm still friends with that friend.

1960 Corvette fuel injected. Very nice car from a dealer who was brokering it for the owner. Hired an inspection and they missed one thing that was an important thing but overall I was still pleased with the car.

Would I buy another car sight unseen. Yes if I get all the photos I need and the seller answers all the right questions and gets me the photos I need. There is always a chance with anything you purchase even if you look at it in person. Maybe I'm a fool.

None of the cars above were cheap.

If it is the white one I would say the buyer presented it fairly and honestly.

Seller's remorse is not too hard to get over. You just curl your fingers around the roll of hundreds in your pocket.

Buyer's remorse, well, that's a little different, one squirms a bit.

I'm not uncomfortable buying a car by wire. I used to get out the club roster and have someone local look at a car. I'd send them a check for 50 bucks and some never cashed them. I have bought a couple of cheap cars, but they never stayed cheap for long. They never do.

Bernie

Yep, a round-trip plane ticket is cheaper than repairing something you didn't expect. You can't find a single day to hop up there and have a look? Send him a $500 deposit with the balance to be paid upon satisfactory inspection. That way he knows you're serious and you buy yourself some time to get up there. You should be able to fly anywhere in the country for less than $1000. Is it worth $1000 to have some peace of mind over $12,500? Think of it as insurance, which I'm sure you pay each month without a second thought.

If you don't look at the car yourself, it won't be what you expect. It might be better, it might be worse (most likely), but it won't be what you think it will be. And ultimately, if you're having concerns about sending a check, then maybe you should trust your gut. However, if you back out, you really should offer to pay for another auction for the guy since he ended it early for you.

If you really want the car, get on a plane and go look at it and meet the owner face-to-face. That way it doesn't go sideways on you somehow. Good luck!

A quick flight out there is a good idea. Only problem is I'm currently working seven days a week and won't have days off for at least a month and he's not going to hold on to it for that long. So flying out there is not an option.

Do not buy this car without you looking it over or at least have a Pre Purchase Inspection done buy AAG (Auto Appraisers Group)or similar company. Having a PPI done lets you know that this car actually exists. The owner should be willing to hold the auto until an inspection is completed.

Did you ask for a copy of the title?

Like Matt H. said, go check it out yourself or have the PPI done

I had AAG inspect a car before purchasing and they were 100% correct in their description.

That is an excellent idea. It brings in a third party to insure me the car is at the address he claims and the car even exists for that matter.

As far as getting it appraised, i wasn't very clear on the description of the car. This car is being sold as a restoration car. The body looks to be fairly solid and has some rust but minimal.

Here is the description of the car that was on ebay.

I am selling this 1970 Charge for my kid brother

He's had this charger for 8 years inside storage. It was originally was an Alabama car minimal rust.

XH29 charger 318 2 barrel, 904 automatic 3 speed, original color FT6 dark tan metallic, black vynl bench seat, A01 light package, A04 package, radio group package, A73 charger special value package, H51 A/C car. Alabama title

Car starts but car will be sold as a roller I.E. Bring a trailer. New carb. Sold as is, no warranty. Good project car for a father and son

options: XH 29 E44, D31, FT6, C2XA, TX9, A16, FT6, AO1, AO4, A73, J25, M21, M31, R11, G33, B51, H51

Rust on car, not Minnesota rust.

Power brakes power steering, new bench seat cover

Mileage is over 100k

Sold AS/IS with no warranty implied or expressed and shall not be held liable for anything I might not have known

Local pick up only

$500 non refundable deposit due with 24 hours of auction ending. Vehicle does not leave until payment is cleared and paid in full.

Car is listed locally so I reserve the right to end auction early.

edit: Ebay is listing location as Minneapolis but it is actually located in Plymouth, MN a suburb of Minneapolis

Where in MN is the car? If it is close I would be happy to check it out for you.

That would be very very nice of you, i would really appreciate that. He lives in Plymouth, MN so that's about an hour's drive away from you?

His feed back shows several religious items (for some reason that makes me wary as one of the worst burns I got was from a preacher). Although 100% feedback looks good I would go for an inspection, slip Dan a few bucks for his time and effort.

I have asked for this to be this done and would do it for someone else if asked.

Some how I trust this forum members much more than an Ebay seller.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

pay for the car with paypal-will cost you 3% of the purchase price, which is a few hundred dollars-will insure you get the car. That was your original request....

as was said, if you are having 2nd thoughts, then you just shouldnt have made the deal. I have dealt with plenty of fall throughs and it wrecks the relationship between buyers and sellers. Think before you speak-just my opinion.

Alabama title

Car starts but car will be sold as a roller

After buying about 9 or 10 cars in the last 7 years, I have a cardinal rule to never buy a car unless it is currently titled in the seller's name. The reason I have this rule is because of a car with an AL registration (2006), and titling issues that are still not resolved. It was an AL registration that involved one of the "title" companies. I don't know when AL began issuing titles (they did not in 2006), but I bet the Charger is changing hands on an AL registration from around 2005-6.

So, in your case, the first guy buys the Charger, then sells it after years of storage to your seller. He wants you to buy it with the AL registration. My DMV in SC would want a bill of sale from the out of state seller to the first MN owner (who put it in storage), then a bill of sale from him to your seller, then a bill of sale from your seller to you. Even then it would raise red flags with the SCDMV.

Every state has different regulations, so my first call would be to (your) DMV to see what kind of paperwork they need to title/ register the car to you.

If the seller can't or won't get a good title, and show or fax me a copy of that title in his name, I don't buy the car, period!

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

"Seems like you already made a deal. Shouldn't you have thought about this earlier?

Forget about escrow. No seller will bother with that."

"as was said, if you are having 2nd thoughts, then you just shouldnt have made the deal. I have dealt with plenty of fall throughs and it wrecks the relationship between buyers and sellers. Think before you speak-just my opinion."

I agree completely with the above comments made by Alsancle and Mercer. If you were worried about buying the car sight unseen, you should have inspected the car and done your homework on the car and/or the seller BEFORE agreeing to purchase. If you had stipulations regarding the completion of the sale, those should have been made between you and the seller (preferably in writing) before the transaction was agreed upon.The seller did you a favor in ending the auction early based on his belief that you were ready to complete the transaction. In fairness to the seller, I hope you follow through with your commitment.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

After buying about 9 or 10 cars in the last 7 years, I have a cardinal rule to never buy a car that unless it is currently titled in the seller's name. The reason I have this rule is because of a car with an AL registration (2006), and titling issues that are still not resolved. It was an AL registration that involved one of the "title" companies. I don't know when AL began issuing titles (they did not in 2006), but I bet the Charger is changing hands on an AL registration from around 2005-6.

So, in your case, the first guy buys the Charger, then sells it after years of storage to your seller. He wants you to buy it with the AL registration. My DMV in SC would want a bill of sale from the out of state seller to the first MN owner (who put it in storage), then a bill of sale from him to your seller, then a bill of sale from your seller to you. Even then it would raise red flags with the SCDMV.

Every state has different regulations, so my first call would be to (your) DMV to see what kind of paperwork they need to title/ register the car to you.

If the seller can't or won't get a good title, and show or fax me a copy of that title in his name, I don't buy the car, period!

TG

Absolutely positively 100 per cent correct. And you can add to that making certain that the title or current registration (for non title states) has numbers that match the vehicle and that the original VIN or other tags are in place and properly affixed. Our local Craigslist is full of 50's and 60's cars with out of state titles brought in from Southern and Western states. When you ask a seller if the title is in his name and he says "no", and you then tell him you need a NY registration in his name to be able to buy the car he always says "It's no problem - I've sold lots of cars this way - you just take the title down to the DMV.". Ya, right.

Older cars are always problematic because of engine swaps where the registration was never changed (or title in title states). It's not a big deal in NY (yet) for the current owner to get the number changed - but so far they have all said "There's no VIN check in NY so I never bothered - it's not a problem". OK- it't not a problem if I sell it NY (as of today). That may change down the road. If I get a buyer in PA they now have a VIN check and it is a problem.

Not worth the grief and aggravation.

I also bought several cars sight unseen, and really never had a problem. I just purchased a car off this site that arrived here this morning http://forums.aaca.org/f119/1950-chevrolet-styline-delux-377689.html All of my years in the hobby I never heard of anyone getting "screwed" out of money and not getting the car, parts are another thing in itself

I know Alabama and Maine are/were states that issue titles when one was lost. Knowing this I myself would question if the car was really an Alabama car. Even though this car that arrived today was an Alabama car at one time.

I agree with everyone's opinion and the only thing I would like to add if your really worried I know if you send the US Postal Money Order(orders in this case because there is a monetary limit on the amount) via the US Postal Service and the product is not delievered it becomes mail fraud.

Good Luck

***UPDATE***

I asked him to text me a picture of the title and this was his response:

"Alabama title that means hand written bill of sale, that's what i got from previous owner."

What does this mean in terms of me registering and insuring the car?

Auto shippers will not ship the car from MN to TX unless insured.

The seller suggested I don't tell them it's not insured.

But i assume they are going to want proof it's insured before they pick it up to deliver?

That means he lied. A handwritten bill of sale is not a title in Alabama. The auction stated that it has a clear Alabama title, which it evidently does not. You would be a fool to complete this purchase.

edit: Apparently Alabama will not issue titles for cars over 35 years old. http://ador.alabama.gov/motorvehicle/Title_FAQ.cfm

This could still be a nightmare to get titled and registered in your state.

Edited by Wheelnut (see edit history)

That means he lied. A handwritten bill of sale is not a title in Alabama. The auction stated that it has a clear Alabama title, which it evidently does not. You would be a fool to complete this purchase.

edit: Apparently Alabama will not issue titles for cars over 35 years old. http://ador.alabama.gov/motorvehicle/Title_FAQ.cfm

This could still be a nightmare to get titled and registered in your state.

I'm thinking you are correct Wheelnut. When it said "Alabama title" in the auction I assumed it was an actual title, not just a hand written bill of sale. He never told me that over the phone when I talked to him, I'm only now finding this out.

Also, he wants me to try to have it shipped without insurance?? What if something happened to it during the delivery?? I'd be screwed for $12,500 BIG ONES!!!

And even if I were to have it delivered safely without a hitch (ASSUMING the auto shippers would even deliver it), it would be near impossible getting it registered!!!

I really wanted a 1970 Dodge Charger :(

I think there are a lot of lessons here. Btw, you should be insuring the car for yourself, not the shipper. If I buy a car, I call my insurance company, give them the serial number and they insure it. About a month later I go and get the title from the state. I'm confused about the relationship between the title and insurance. That said, he has given you an out to ethically back out of the deal. BUT, I'll reiterate that all of this should be been figured out before making the deal.

I think there are a lot of lessons here. Btw, you should be insuring the car for yourself, not the shipper. If I buy a car, I call my insurance company, give them the serial number and they insure it. About a month later I go and get the title from the state. I'm confused about the relationship between the title and insurance. That said, he has given you an out to ethically back out of the deal. BUT, I'll reiterate that all of this should be been figured out before making the deal.

Yeah I'll have to chalk this one up to a learning experience. I'm new at all this. This was going to be my big opportunity to learn more about restoring cars while building the car of my dreams. And insuring the car was not solely for it to be shipped, i would want insurance on the car regardless. But I'm not going to purchase a car without a title. Especially one from Alabama where another poster pointed out they won't even register cars that's 35 years old. NOT GONNA DO IT.

Edited by Wendal (see edit history)

Perhaps you should offer to pay the seller his relisting fees since he ended the auction early for you.

I thought about that. But then again he wasn't honest about the title in the auction. That was no fault of mine. Does he deserve to be reimbursed?