Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

14573022_10155250191650830_6468397179701

I drive my Buick every weekend, but this is the first year she sits out in the rain... and boy did it rain today. I had a place to store the car at my grandfather's, but now that he's letting some kid live there (also currently in prison), his car has been in my spot all summer. I want to believe one year of rain before next year's tax returns (aka paint season) has nothing on 40 years of entropy, but we shall see...

• Like 2

Oooooo, I feel your pain...  My experience has been that leaving such things exposed to the elements does not end well.  The damage is usually not 'linear', in that the effects increase exponentially.  :(

I just put my boat away for the season and paid ~$300 to keep it clean and dry for the next 7 months.  It may be worth investigating similar options in your area.  I'm of the opinion that $300 spent now will save you twice that next year in 'undoing' the exposure-related damage.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2016 at 5:41 AM, EmTee said:

Oooooo, I feel your pain...  My experience has been that leaving such things exposed to the elements does not end well.  The damage is usually not 'linear', in that the effects increase exponentially.  :(

I just put my boat away for the season and paid ~$300 to keep it clean and dry for the next 7 months.  It may be worth investigating similar options in your area.  I'm of the opinion that $300 spent now will save you twice that next year in 'undoing' the exposure-related damage.

We fortunately got it figured out last night. Drove two hours in the pouring down rain from Seattle to Ocean Shores (where my dad lives) and put it up in the barn for the winter. Guess I'm now on restoration vacation, but at least the car is safe.

14690969_10155257140680830_1486641158048

• Like 5

Good choice -- judging from the dusty wood floor it appears to be nice and dry in there!  This picture of the Buick together with the poster on the wall almost qualifies for posting on the 'Girls on Buick' thread!  ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

This picture of the Buick together with the poster on the wall almost qualifies for posting on the 'Girls on Buick' thread!  ;)

I was just thinking about that. Unfortunately where the car is parked, there aren't any girls I would want physically on the car so it may be a long time before I post in there. 

Went to a local car show today put on by Boy Scout Troop 41.  Unfortunately but typically,  there were only two other Buicks beside my Reatta.

WP_20161015_003.jpg

WP_20161015_001.jpg

WP_20161015_002.jpg

• Like 2

It was a cold morning when we left for the Central New England Chapter show.

CNE Chapter Show0001.JPG

But these crisp New England days have a certain appeal when it's so clear and the end goal is a Buick show.

CNE Chapter Show0003.JPG

Today we planned to take the back roads once we got into Massachusetts.  Rt 20 from Lee Ma, to Rt 112, to Rt 66, to Easthampton.  Yes, there is a Rt 66 in New England.  There is a lot of early history in this area, so early, 1/2 of this place is collapsing from rotted wood.  But the scenery is just gorgeous in all directions. 

CNE Chapter Show0004.JPG

CNE Chapter Show0005.JPG

Along the way, we traveled The old State Road , historic Rt 20 leg from Chester to Huntington.  This old section of Rt 20 is so narrow, but there was a pull off where as luck would have it, we pulled in and a logging truck passed from the opposite direction, skating the centerline of the road.  Whew!

CNE Chapter Show0008.JPG

CNE Chapter Show0009.JPG

x

• Like 7

There were lots of GS's, and Riviera's but many pictures did not come out good again.  I guess I need a different camera cause I'm tired of losing all those pictures.

Anyway, we took another route home.  North to Rt 9 and then west to Pittsfield.  210 miles round trip.  But probably the last ride of this driving season.   So let me leave you with this one photo,, from somewhere in the middle of western Mass.

CNE Chapter Show0030.JPG

• Like 6

We had what is likely the last tour of the year with our Antique and Classic Car Club of Canada group to a couple of very interesting garages. Here are a couple of pictures of my '56 Roadmaster in front of this gent's garage decorated with a lot of vintage Supertest signage, plus one Buick sign up near the top. We did approx 150 miles through some great countryside, and on one of the best fall days we've had. The colour is late coming this year, due to the warm weather, but some more has shown up in the last few days since I ran the tour.

Keith

BuickatBills1Sml.jpg

BuickatBills2Sml.jpg

• Like 5

A couple of pictures from the Rockville MD Show. There were only 8 Buick's present at the show that had over 550 cars. Mine was the only Reatta present.First long drive since I solved the drive ability issue I was having.  Had to throw in the Mack Truck picture was just beautiful.

DSCF8875.JPG

DSCF8872.JPG

DSCF8874.JPG

DSCF8873.JPG

DSCF8877.JPG

DSCF8880.JPG

DSCF8912.JPG

DSCF8881.JPG

• Like 4

Drove Miss Louise , the '60 Buick Invicta for a friend's daughter's wedding. Turned out they changed their mind about the drive-away, stayed at the reception, so I got a great meal with good friends, enjoyed the reception, and had an extra drink. 

Louise New Bern 3X.jpg

Miss Louise at the AACA New Bern Meet in July, 700-mile round trip drive.

TG

• Like 4

Up early today for the last organized show in this area.  So early in fact, there was a chance to catch the sunrise:

2016 Mills Mansion0001.JPG

Another cold morning, it sure shows signs of the coming season!

2016 Mills Mansion0002.JPG

2016 Mills Mansion0003.JPG

But we're off to Mills Mansion, in Staatsburgh, NY for the annual gathering of old cars!

2016 Mills Mansion0004.JPG

• Like 6

At the end of the event I had a chance to take a picture with my brother Ray's Olds 442, and and nephew Ray Jr's Corvair and Ford Pickup.

2016 Mills Mansion0024.JPG

2016 Mills Mansion0025.JPG

Plus a picture of the Super where it belongs!

2016 Mills Mansion0027.JPG

Roughly 180 miles round trip.  Brakes are working just fine!  And that annoying click is gone.  Must have been that pass side wheel bearing!

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Nice weather here too in Toronto.

Got to drive 4 of the 5 roadworthy (not including the Wildcat) Buicks in our stable. Not sure if the more modern ones count. However, if you really want hear it, this is how it went.

We started the day by all 5 of us piling into the '02 Rendezvous and driving out to get breakfast, then Glenda and I did some errands in the '16 Envision, (I drove!) then after some tune up work on the '56, we took it out for afternoon coffee and a test drive.

Then I put the rebuilt (again!) alternator on the Electra, along with a different regulator, and lo and behold, it was charging fine again. This was a bit of a longish story, not all of it I related here on the forum, but it seems to have boiled down to an incorrectly rebuilt alternator, and a new defective regulator. Chased my tail quite a bit trying to get it sorted. Hopefully it is now. Then an after dinner test drive in the Electra.

As for the other two, the '41 is still awaiting its' rebuilt master cylinder, supposed to be ready on Tues, and of course Glenda's Wildcat is patiently waiting to be repaired so that some day it may join the rest for a road trip.

Not a whole lot of miles covered amoungst the four but it was nice to drive four different Buicks in one day!

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 10/16/2016 at 10:45 PM, JohnD1956 said:

But there was this one special one:

2016 Mills Mansion0009.JPG

2016 Mills Mansion0010.JPG

2016 Mills Mansion0012.JPG

2016 Mills Mansion0011.JPG.

A two owner car, 90% original:

2016 Mills Mansion0013.JPG

WOW!!!  This even had power vent windows!

Whoooaaaaa, JD, how'd I miss this. Great photos man, you 'bout to get that camera figured out aren't you!!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Whoooaaaaa, JD, how'd I miss this. Great photos man, you 'bout to get that camera figured out aren't you!!!!

Maybe I post too much?  LOL...  and yes, I am on the path to figuring this camera out.  Still losing some pictures, but not as many as before.  I was hoping the "easy" mode would cause it to act like a point and shoot camera, but that's not happening.

• Like 4

Linda and I drove to Columbia, MO yesterday and Gian and a friend drove there from St. Louis.  Gian went home with his friend and I drove home in my latest cruiser / parts chaser.  1994 Roadmaster Estate wagon.  The one with the LT1 engine.  Towing package, and posi. It will definitely push you back in your seat. It's kinda' old, does it count?

Stock photo - not my car but a twin.  Stock factory aluminum wheels but I do have a set of 245/40R20's on Boss 308 rims that are going on it.

Image result for 1994 roadmaster wagon

It's like cruising at 80 mph on your leather living room sofa.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Thanks,  

I talked to a number of other owners before deciding that this could cover all of the bases for which I would want out of a vehicle without spending a fortune on something new.  Plus, there's nothing new in which you can lay a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood flat and keep it out of the weather.

The LT1 is 260 hp, TPI - the Corvette engine but with iron heads.  It will move, haul, and/or tow everything I could possibly think of with a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs..  Room for 8 when we take out the boat. And something we can cruise down the highway with along with the grandkids and all the stuff they haul around with them.  Even if I have to put a little money into it, I'm pretty sure that I can always get my investment back; especially considering that I got into it for less than $2K.

My younger stepson and his girlfriend were planning a road trip in their Subaru wagon and thinking about using it as a mobile motel.  That was their plan until I let them take this one around the block.  Now I'm to be on the look out for another one for them.

Edited by RivNut
effing predictive text (see edit history)
  • Like 3