Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Thanks for the offer. I used to get to Texas with some regularity. I liked it except for Houston in July/August. There was a rib place near the airport called Luther's. I used to volunteer for a trip just for the ribs. I think it's gone now. Too bad. Used to get a decent steak in Amarillo too.........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Probably not too exciting to al'l ya'all, but had a blast taking the GS for a 30 mile spin today.  What a winter we have had in my area. Normally by now we should have had 60 inches of snow, but so far we have had only 10.25 or thereabouts.  Headed out to grill some Italian sausages for dinner in a few minutes.  YAHoo!!! Then we await March!!!

BTW, does anyone here go to the Run To the Sun event in Myrtle Beach?

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer. I used to get to Texas with some regularity. I liked it except for Houston in July/August. There was a rib place near the airport called Luther's. I used to volunteer for a trip just for the ribs. I think it's gone now. Too bad. Used to get a decent steak in Amarillo too.........Bob

Angelo's in Ft Worth is probably among the best in the area for ribs, brisket, etc.,

WE always went there during our annual Pate Swap Meet week, waaaay back when Pate was actually at Aggie Pate's ranch near Granbury - south of Ft Worth and Benbrook, down Highway 377.

My swap meet space was in front of the corral, and some of our sales (and purchases) got a horse laugh. Sometimes the stallion would get amorous, and always drew a crowd - helped my sales, too!

I have friends who go to that at Myrtle Beach, but I have never been. I am about an hour north of there.

I've made arrangements to go this year, so if your interested, please let me know if you decide to go, so I can try to meet up with you there.

That is St. Patrick's Day weekend and I am usually pretty busy with the Police Pipe and Drum band that weekend but if you are going to be coming through Wilmington on your way there or back, I would do my best to find a time that we could meet.

I don't know if this counts, but I drove one of my newer Buicks this weekend-- my 1972 Electra 225 Custom #8439 4-door hardtop.  But then again, this is the newest Buick that I own, and it is my everyday car, summer and winter.  In Alaska where I live, the roads are messy and icy this time of year, but my Electra handles very well in any type of road condition. 

Buicks were built to be driven!

Gary Klecka, BCA #1955

• Like 4

What a difference! New wide white Diamond Back II radials. Rides great, looks better!  This is Sam's driver, not a show car, so she opted for the radials.  They are smooth and quiet, and with the new alignment, we are sailing straight down the road, no pulling.  Nice day for a drive in a great old Buick.

HuntzNSam

post-154922-0-27701700-1457295340_thumb.

post-154922-0-31315900-1457295342_thumb.

post-154922-0-57587100-1457295346_thumb.

• Like 2

Our Texas Region AACA club had our Spring Tune-Up Tour on Saturday, so logged about 100 miles through the horse farm country of North Texas. Toured a Tulip Farm and a Reining Horse training and breeding farm, so it was a full day. We had 20 club members on the tour and encountered some light mist and rain getting to the starting point, but it cleared off and turned into a great day.

Edited by J. Velde (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well I finally can post on this thread again. As is fitting for the first day of Spring, I took the '41 Roadmaster out to a McLaughlin Buick Club meeting today. Very chilly here, but sunny, and lots of rain a few days ago, so the salt is all down in the lake. A gentleman that I talked to before was there, but had not seen the car till today, and his father owned my car for a few years in the early 70's. It brought back a lot of remembrances, as he has fond memories of riding in the back seat. He hadn't seen the car since his Dad had to sell it in 1973. I had talked to his Dad during some research I did on its' history a few years ago, and he was very excited to hear that I was restoring it, as he really enjoyed the car, and only sold it because of financial reasons.

Sadly he passed away a couple of years before I got it on the road again.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Had an AACA meeting this afternoon and put about 40 miles on the Buick - sunny, cool and windy, but a great day to dive the Buick.  We had two new families join and another visiting, so a good day for the AACA!  Out of 21 member families we had 10 old cars (25 years or older) at the meeting. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Got the chance to get the Queen out today.  Not a leaf out on the trees here yet, but it could happen soon.  We've had such a mild winter I feel bad saying it knowing what some of ya'all went through.  Now the last two weeks have been more winter like than the last four months.  Anyway, a massive rain storm came through Friday so with temps in the high 30-low 40's I pulled her out for a spin.  Just love to drive that car!

When I came home I found my spare clock that I got at that junkyard that was closed two years ago. It was dead when hooked to my spare battery.  I pulled off the two light sockets and was able to drop some speedometer cable lubricant onto the mechanism through those holes. Then I was able to spin the clock with the adjustment knob.  I was pleasantly surprised to see it work when I attached it to the battery a 2nd time.  Now I just gotta get it in the car.

• Like 2

The AACA - Texas Region had our Spring Tour this weekend. Group met North of Denton, Texas and took Hwy 380 to Bridgeport and toured the Wise County Veterans Memorial Museum, then on to Bowie where we encountered some light rain showers, and then on through Nocona.  Passed over the Red River into Oklahoma and traveled back roads to Durant for the evening.  Up and back on the road by 9:00 Sunday morning and found our way back to Texas and ended the tour in Whitewright, where the 10 cars went their separate ways toward home.  By the time we arrived home we had put 357 miles on the Buick and had a fine time doing so!  I see that Bowie is currently experiencing large hail and severe thunderstorms, so we were very lucky to have only had rain while there.      

• Like 2

Had the annual West Australian Buick Club Autumn run this past weekend. Just over 800kms ( 500 miles ) over the 3 day run. Took the club to some of my old stamping grounds, visited a farmer who restores veteran motorcycles and has turned his hand to casting small parts in a home foundry. Also visited the farm of an 88 year old local in Wubin who has been collecting " treasure " his entire life.

This link will take you to some photos of the run

http://www.westernbuicks.org/Events/Autumn%20Run%20Dandaragan%202016/Events%20Dandaragan%20Run%202016.htm  

• Like 4

Just returned from a 80 mile one way trip to a swap meet in my Lucerne. Did not find anything Buick related that I need but did get a good deal on latex gloves to keep my hands clean.

Wanted to show you a Texas convenient store (this is not a truck stop as a sign out front says NO 18 WHEELERS)  Buc-ees is a south/central convenient store chain that pumps a lot of gas.

For size see the picture...15 rows, x 4 pumps = 60 pumps in the shot and another 60 where I am standing.   They also have unbelievable rest rooms...huge, clean...I guess if 100 plus cars are getting gas

they need large rest rooms.....Willie, Stoneberg and other Texans have been there.  This one is on I-35 just north of New Braumfels

001x.jpg

003x.jpg

• Like 2

Sunny and about 50 here. I just ran the convertible up to the edge of the muckland and back to splash hot oil inside the engine. Now it's time for a rerun of Superman, supper, and a rerun of Wonder Woman.

Bernie

010.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

Just returned from a 80 mile one way trip to a swap meet in my Lucerne. Did not find anything Buick related that I need but did get a good deal on latex gloves to keep my hands clean.

Wanted to show you a Texas convenient store (this is not a truck stop as a sign out front says NO 18 WHEELERS)  Buc-ees is a south/central convenient store chain that pumps a lot of gas.

For size see the picture...15 rows, x 4 pumps = 60 pumps in the shot and another 60 where I am standing.   They also have unbelievable rest rooms...huge, clean...I guess if 100 plus cars are getting gas

they need large rest rooms.....Willie, Stoneberg and other Texans have been there.  This one is on I-35 just north of New Braumfels

...and if  cheapest gas:  $1.70 today

Precious little vegetation on the trees so far in this part of the world, but we've had a nice day touring through the Niagara area and the scenic town of Niagara on the Lake.

Went through a bunch of bugs last night on the way here, as you can see by the picture of the front on the car. Proves my car is driven!

We stopped to take a few pictures of the whirlpool, which is downstream a few miles from the Falls themselves. As the name implies the current and he bend of the river forces the flow to swirl around the basin.

The cable car gives a great view, if you're not afraid of the heights, that is!

Keith

ElectraBugs.jpg

ElectraHotel1.jpg

Whirlpool2.jpg

Whirlpool3.jpg

Whirlpool1.jpg

• Like 4

I took the middle child out to the country to swap the proper wheels onto the pace car, then I drove it home.  Everything went well, except we gave up on putting all the Center Lines on the donor car to get it off the jack stands.  I'm presently working on cleaning up and installing the trim rings and center caps on the car (even though what I have isn't very nice, they do dress it up quite a bit.

20160501LukeWheelsIMG_1712.jpg

20160501SpiritIMG_1717.jpg

• Like 1