Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

8 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

So this is much better than before, but I'm not sure it is still as good as it should be. The cooling system is super clean inside.

Anyway, here's a quick picture of it as we paused at the side of the road.

Keith

ElectraMore.jpg

I'm glad to learn that your efforts to reduce coolant temperature provided results. I'm in the process of swapping the two-row radiator for a three-row unit in my Skylark, hoping for similar results. Mine usually runs 190 degrees at 60 mph in Summer, and has been as high as 210 degrees when sitting in traffic for extended periods on a hot Summer day when temperatures have been in the mid-80s. My cooling system is fairly clean.

Part of our trouble today is that we know too much, and worry even more. Back when our cars were new almost no one had a temperature gauge, or at least not one that read in degrees. If the idiot light didn't come on or the gauge didn't peg at the high end we motored along, happy and secure in our ignorant bliss.

I love your car, BTW. My dad had a '69 LeSabre four-door hardtop with the 350 engine. I loved driving that thing. It's one of my favorite years for Buick style-wise, right up there with the 1940, 1941, and 1960 model years.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

So this is much better than before, but I'm not sure it is still as good as it should be.

Have you checked the ignition timing?  Your temps don't sound out-of-line to me.  With A/C, those cars would have had 195* thermostats in them.  As long as the coolant has sufficient glycol (50/50) and holds 15 lbs. pressure it should not boil-over.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

So today some more tinkering with Electra. Specifically I changed to the high performance water pump. When I had it on the car before I didn't think it did much for me, but now with the high density four core rad it certainly helped compared to yesterday's drive. The ambient temp was similar, just a pinch warmer, 82-83 F instead of 80-82 F. We (my son rode shotgun) drove the same roads at the same speeds to start with, and the engine temp ran 10-15 degrees lower with no AC, and at about the same point I turned the AC on so we rode in the cool air, and the engine ran about 10 degrees warmer, ie just under 190, driving 55mph.

I gassed it up then went the rest of the way the main highway to run at higher speeds for about 1o miles back to the secondary highway which leads home.

At 70ish it ran about 200 consistently till we pulled off and then 190 or so at the 55 or so for the 20 miles back to the house.

So this is much better than before, but I'm not sure it is still as good as it should be. The cooling system is super clean inside.

Anyway, here's a quick picture of it as we paused at the side of the road.

Keith

ElectraMore.jpg

The larger radiator is the key to your running at good temperature with or without AC.   Our new 73 Estate wagon overheated constantly. Two core radiator. Many years later as an adult I purchased a 73 Estate wagon.  Still the same issue. Two core radiator. Overheated a lot.  I dropped in a three core.  Problem solved.  Your current running temperature are good. Ensure your fan clutch is good as well. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Machine Gun said:

I'm glad to learn that your efforts to reduce coolant temperature provided results. I'm in the process of swapping the two-row radiator for a three-row unit in my Skylark, hoping for similar results. Mine usually runs 190 degrees at 60 mph in Summer, and has been as high as 210 degrees when sitting in traffic for extended periods on a hot Summer day when temperatures have been in the mid-80s. My cooling system is fairly clean.

Part of our trouble today is that we know too much, and worry even more. Back when our cars were new almost no one had a temperature gauge, or at least not one that read in degrees. If the idiot light didn't come on or the gauge didn't peg at the high end we motored along, happy and secure in our ignorant bliss.

I love your car, BTW. My dad had a '69 LeSabre four-door hardtop with the 350 engine. I loved driving that thing. It's one of my favorite years for Buick style-wise, right up there with the 1940, 1941, and 1960 model years.

The three core will resolve your issue.  It resolved running hot and overheating problem with my 73 Estate wagon. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

This is absolutely true. A good friend has had the exact same experience as you with his 67 300 cu in Skylark. Sealing the gap between the shroud and radiator greatly improved the situation on that car, but his 67 GS 400 didnt have a shroud. Only came with a fan guard. The fix on that car was a new vacuum advance unit. But i understand that the manual says the temp light comes on at 245°. If you did not have a gauge with a scale this would not be any concern. 

• Thanks 1

I will 2nd the THICKER radiator.   1950 Buick Special and Super with 3 spd standard transmission came with a 2 row core,  415 square inch surface.  Dynaflow,  2 row , 484 sq. in.     Roadmaster, with larger engine and Dynaflow, came with 3 row,  484 sq. in.  See what Buick did here?   Just to cool the Dynaflow, they added 70 ci.  To cool the jump from 248/263 ci to 320,  an extra row of tubes added.   FIFTY PERCENT MORE! 

Jump forward a few [ few? ] years and yours truly added A/C to the Special.   Temps held well.  THEN "warmed up " the engine a little, adding about 25 ci.   Started to stress. A little.   THEN hooked a teardrop to the back. Cooling marginal on a hot Tx/ OK July day. Turned on the A/C.    Uh Oh.  Turned of the A/C!   A few months later still hot, out for a drive, and she overheated.  Badly.   Wished I had an alarm on the coolant.   Big bucks to tear down the engine and replace a couple pistons that did not like getting hot.

I then bought back a Roadmaster radiator I had sold, after having it rodded and tested and pronounced as good as new.  Forgot to say, even though there were different sq in surface cores, the MOUNTING brackets are the same.  After installing the larger radiator,  with a 195* thermostat, the temp struggles to get to 180.  Bigger matters.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Thanks everyone for their input.

The timing is set a touch advanced, but it's also not stable when idling, and this is a rebuilt unit just a few years ago, so that bothers me a bit as to why it's doing that. My experience is usually this is due to an internal problem. I recently discovered the newish vacuum advance had gone bad so that's now replaced. The total advance seems to be coming in at about 35+ at 2000+ rpm. So I don't know if that's a bit low for total advance, as it's not pinging on the highway under accerlation.

I get thinking about changing the distributor to one of the high energy electronic ones. Does anyone have thoughts about doing this?

The comment about not knowing, is exactly what I was thinking during the drive yesterday as my son was duly reporting any temp change to me, but if I was just driving with the stock light I'd have no idea till the light came one at 246F. Maybe even with a less accurate gauge.

We are seriously considering driving out the next year's National in Portland and am thinking about driving the Electra though the gas cost is a major consideration. It needs to be as strong as possible to make the cross country trip.

Thanks again all!

Keith

• Like 2

Just came back from a morning drive over the Scituate dam. It’s just too warm in the sun to be in a convertible today. This will be day #5 with temperatures over 90. Humidity today is 75%. It’s ugly out there. A 55 Chevy was following me for a while. Hope it’s cooler out there on your drive. 

8A43C756-FCAB-47C2-9F9B-431A2289FBFC.jpeg

60639627-AC58-4F5D-B20F-C24F3682BF16.jpeg

C5B0D0A3-1007-47DF-BD5B-BA00B262F35C.jpeg

Edited by Den41Buick
Pic (see edit history)
  • Like 6

95* F here today, so I thought it would be a good day to check operation of the A/C in the Riviera and see how the '38 handles the heat and test my rocker shaft bolt sealing job.

Good news: Riviera was blowing 35* F out of the center vent on RECIRC.  The sight glass is clear, but there is still evidence of oil slinging from the compressor shaft seal.  The '38 ran at 180* underway and crept up ~5* when stopped or idling.  So far, all of the rocker shaft bolt holes above the spark plugs are dry.

Not so good news: I had to cut the '38 drive short when the ammeter started twitching.  First just twitching "+", then twitching "+" and "-" with periods of mild discharge.  My initial guess is burned/dirty regulator contacts.  I'll troubleshoot it on Monday...

• Like 7

Took the 56 for breakfast with some friends from our BCA Chapter. Just about 30 or so miles, and she ran just great. No pics of the Super but got one of the friends 66 Electra

20220726_102643.jpg

• Like 3

Nice day for a ride to northeast Connecticut. I like having lunch on the common in Thompson amongst the beautiful homes on the common. There is always something to see. There were several antiques that passed by. Most from the 60’s and 70’s, but two guys with a Chevrolet pickup stopped to chat. Like minds. We had a lot to talk about. 
I have also attached pictures of the Mason house that has been going under restoration for at least three years. It came out beautifully. The grounds are spectacular as well. 

C1BBF7F0-F5ED-4D76-88B1-585E83E14DF9.jpeg

879A1BFF-F76B-4330-818F-20438C40B2DE.jpeg

67BEE828-D04A-4C71-9BEF-051D5AA18743.jpeg

FE0C74C8-1A40-46B1-A85B-FC2D4B2816A5.jpeg

DB11DC71-19DA-4C5C-B528-60D493758743.jpeg

275D4611-2549-4D07-B0ED-9CF7202C2154.jpeg

• Like 9

The other day we had the Electra out for a 70 mile drive on a warm day, high 70's and it cooled quite well at a variety of speeds. Now tomorrow it is supposed to be up around 90 so I'm hoping I have the time to take it out for a long drive again. No pictures of the Electra this time, but maybe tomorrow if I take it out I'll take one or two to share.

Then tonight we took the '56 Roadmaster out to a local cruise night, about 30 miles round trip. This is the first time I've had this car to an event of any kind in maybe about three years.

There were 150-200 cars there and it was a beautiful evening to be out and about. I've posted a couple of photos of a '47 Mercury truck, a Canada only model, nicely done up, with a modified flathead, and an International Scout beautifully restored.

Then I came home and did some paint work on the '55 Special, but that's a different thread!

Keith

CruiseAug2Bui.jpg.a650f05daee977c56a71c0a137810cb3.jpgCruiseAug2Scout.jpg.f422ffe9be33641ad2200cec6ed45cd1.jpgCruiseAug2Merc.jpg.e162c9fff056cb634fc6aabd146c2201.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Then tonight we took the '56 Roadmaster out to a local cruise night, about 30 miles round trip. This is the first time I've had this car to an event of any kind in maybe about three years.

Hmmm, I don't recall you even mentioning this car before.  That's a very pretty '56 -- I think you need to drive it more often!  ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EmTee said:

Hmmm, I don't recall you even mentioning this car before.  That's a very pretty '56 -- I think you need to drive it more often!  ;)

Thank you very much!

I suppose it gets over shadowed by my others lately, but I have had it since 1976 and have driven it every summer to one extent or another. In '91 we drove it the BCA National in Sacramento Calf.

Keith

• Like 1

Today we met with a bunch of others from a local car club for a corn roast at a member's place. This gent has an expansive rural property with lots of grassed areas for parking and mature tree for shade. The deal is the Club supplies the corn, burgers, sausages and then the other items are pot luck. So I made a pineapple upside down cake for a desert.

We drove the Electra and temps were in the mid 80's F so we ran with the AC on and the temp stayed 190-195 the whole way there and back. Not seriously challenging driving with 55-60 mph speeds and fairly flat country with a total of 145 miles round trip.

Here's a picture of it at my friend's place. For a short time there was an Olds parked beside the Pontiac, but I didn't a shot of the three makes together.

Keith

ElectraJods.jpg.a4f07cbc239d47ad621424af4634121c.jpg

• Like 10

Home to the Macungie show and back home on sat. with the red 57. Got lots of thumbs up and had a few good conversations. Learned that lots and lots of guys fathers had the EXACT same car only it wasn't a convertable, it was blue and maybe a Ford. Also learned that "those old Buicks rode like a dream. So much better than the new cars"............Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

22 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

For a short time there was an Olds parked beside the Pontiac, but I didn't a shot of the three makes together.

Replace the 8-lugs with the optional spinner covers and it would be my GP...  ;)

ElectraJods.jpg.a4f07cbc239d47ad621424af

• Like 2

Well this was taken last Friday. This was also my last ride in the 71C. I will always remember the great rides and times I have had with it. 
I am now off on my quest to locate a 1932-1934 club sedan, if they exist.

02163CC0-6F54-4F92-82C5-59EB4CD33349.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

Well this was taken last Friday. This was also my last ride in the 71C. I will always remember the great rides and times I have had with it. 
I am now off on my quest to locate a 1932-1934 club sedan, if they exist.

02163CC0-6F54-4F92-82C5-59EB4CD33349.jpeg

The Club Sedan exists,

and the '34 looks exceptional, \also rides and handles better than earlier years since it has independent front suspension and center point steering - a much easier car to drive all day long and still go dancing that evening with your sweetie - take it from one who knows.

• Like 2

20220807_094937.jpg

My friend advised of another cars n coffee event yesterday, and we went in the Queen. The American stuff was vastly outnumbered.  And in direct opposition to this car, it seemed to me that this crowd was all about who had the loudest exhaust and who could make their car backfire the most.  I know we always say to each their own, and so it is. I found it was both good to be there, and to leave early. 

I am thinking about next years BCA National. With the way this car performs it is the leading candidate for that run.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Home to the Macungie show 

You brought back memories of when I used to go to Das Awkscht Fescht every year with my 1962 Studebaker GT Hawk. The last one I attended was in 1989. Glad to know they still have the event.

• Like 1

I drove the '59 Electra about three hundred miles over the weekend, attending the Portland, Oregon Cars and Coffee event, which had a "Fins of the '50's" theme on Saturday.

I chose the old two-lane highways for my return trip, and spotted this vintage Beechcraft Model 18 at a small, rural airport in southwest Washington.  The aircraft presented a great photo opportunity for a pair of silver-winged relics.

beechcraft.jpg

• Like 10

Nice winters day in the sunshine for breakfast. Mr Happy performed flawlessly after having some fuel and ignition problems which have all been resolved. Any way so photos at Goolwa Main Street and the Wharf precinct.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

F85A64DC-7871-4CE6-A237-672526A04F16.jpeg

54BC6791-B2BD-4F23-8F2B-4BE7EDE83B7B.jpeg

01D41BFA-99DA-4078-92B2-5190C7A4FB80.jpeg

• Like 7

Superb picture, Brian!  Are you a professional 

photographer?  If not, you could be.  That picture

should be on the cover of the Buick Bugle, or in

a calendar somewhere.

I suggest you submit your picture to the editor of

the Bugle!

On 8/8/2022 at 11:44 AM, Centurion said:

I drove the '59 Electra...The aircraft presented a great photo opportunity for a pair of silver-winged relics.

beechcraft.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Superb picture, Brian!  Are you a professional 

photographer?  If not, you could be.  That picture

should be on the cover of the Buick Bugle, or in

a calendar somewhere.

I suggest you submit your picture to the editor of

the Bugle!

Thank you for your kind comment, John_S_in_Penna.  No, I'm definitely no professional photographer, but I love photographing vintage cars, and, sometimes, I'm lucky to obtain a good picture!  

3 hours ago, Centurion said:

No, I'm definitely no professional photographer, but I love photographing vintage cars, and, sometimes, I'm lucky to obtain a good picture!  

Well, here's another of Brian's 'lucky shots' that I really like...

1620259221_palousesplendor.jpg.507f126f6

• Like 6

Took the 56 out to a small cruise in tonight. Real small.  The 56 was car #12.   And the only Buick and the only car in stock format.  It felt good and familiar to get it on the open road again.   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I had the garage empty of cars while juggling things around this week. It is a little cooler today and never too early to start positioning with winter in mind. I set up staging for easy morning coffee runs.

IMG_0412.JPG.d7bca5161676f401c4736bdc1aa2e8d3.JPG

The '86 Park Ave convert is behind the Riviera. But that position will be shifted for the arrival of a new addition to be delivered on Saturday. I have never been much of a MOPAR guy but a 1948 Saratoga sedan is joining the Buicks. It's a little longer than the Riviera and a little shorter than the Electra. Space, never enough.

I thought I was doing so well last Spring when I sold four cars. Only bought one then.... now up to two. And I found really inexpensive storage last Fall.

Oh, on those palatial lawns. I have been grooming out behind the garage in my own little wooded area. Maybe a big car picnic next year.

IMG_0395.JPG.64feb99a652eaca96206b92441150534.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG.6dcb848691f0ac8dbd679c2c63679bc4.JPG

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Made it to our Local Chapter's cruise in. This cruise in was started by a fellow probably 15 years ago and is dedicated to raising donations to the Ronald MacDonald house. If I recall correctly he has raised over 10k for them. Our chapter got involved a few years ago when we realized a big chunk of us were participating each week. 

20220810_191333.jpg20220810_172537.jpg20220810_192039.jpg20220810_190527.jpg

20220810_192144.jpg

• Like 7

First outing for the blue convertible tonight. Automobilia exhibit at the little performing arts center in town. The family that owns White Post Restorations, which is local to me, opened their collection to be used as the display. About a dozen or so cars.

E62C666E-1EFE-429E-9A1A-B6A31A5B05C2.jpeg

B0BED62A-C9E8-42EA-9BA3-D659218906B7.jpeg

B18A3A15-B5BE-4437-959E-60946987C4A8.jpeg

66BC5817-F6E6-479D-8D9B-4B3AE46C7DAD.jpeg

5FD66DA9-082B-4058-83DB-90D8DD1537EC.jpeg

• Like 6