Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

I had to laugh at my picture. A week or so ago I wrote about leaving a very authentic looking yard sale Rolex in plain sight on my bench in the garage. No one has ever mentioned it but they have asked "Do you leave that John Deere outside?". There's the old Deere in the corner of the picture. The discussion on preparing for Pebble Beach reminded of it.

I took the convertible out for coffee this morning with the top down. I thought I heard someone whisper "Oh, that guy puts on such airs. You know he has a John Deere sitting outside like it means nothing to him". The thoughts people get from observation.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Haha 4

Had the exhaust system repaired/replaced on Wednesday. I could see it needed everything from the catalytic converter back. What I did not know was it needed the gasket between the manifold and head pipe as well.  

At any rate it is done and "very quiet" now but it cost me half as much as I paid for the whole car so I am back to using it for just about everything.  I still like driving it and now I like it even more.

20220513_100304.jpg

• Like 9

21 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I thought I heard someone whisper "Oh, that guy puts on such airs. You know he has a John Deere sitting outside like it means nothing to him". The thoughts people get from observation.

I couldn't help but notice those dandelions...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

couldn't help but notice those dandelions...

Most old car guys notice the dent in the stainless trim ahead of the wheel well.

After transporting it from Racine, WI, replacing the short block, rebuilding the transmission, Imron painting the subframe, installing new tires on NOS GM aluminum wheels, hanging a complete new exhaust system, and a sundry of other items a guy got down on his knees in a restaurant parking lot, put his finger on the dent, and compassionately asked "When are you going to fix this?".

1457057313_034mna(4).jpg.ae1d4b6efff166b1438676010e8bff84.jpg

254396394_pc(11).jpg.e12f13961c7a90dd56b1c5d26f962f30.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours later, took a little ride through town. Then after a ride along the Lake in the Avalanche and a lunch stop I spent a couple hours bleeding and cycling the new convertible top cylinders I installed right before storage last Fall. Lots of air and gurgles but it was nice and smooth when I left it.

Can't say enough good things about Susan Baker and her company up in the woods of New Hampshire: https://www.convertiblecylindersdirect.com/Convertible_Top_Cylinders.html

Today's work.

IMG_0297.JPG.2f3f020c29d21b3563a6983c384c29f0.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG.abab0a4ee05408d948b9ac6339605f8d.JPG

One of the custom cylinders she had to match up.

IMG_1083.JPG.5d0f16006d6f7111d362ea8cb7c10060.JPG

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

...a guy got down on his knees in a restaurant parking lot, put his finger on the dent, and compassionately asked "When are you going to fix this?".

I assumed that was your 'gimme' fault that you intentionally left there just for guys like that!  (You obviously didn't fall for my dandelion misdirection...)

• Haha 4

Was a nice day yesterday and I got an evening cruise in. Took the 30 mile loop. 

20220513_232302.jpg

20220513_201328.jpg

Stopped for some desert and pulled in right behind this guy.

20220513_202605.jpg

Both cars caused quite a stir among the locals.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Was a nice day yesterday and I got an evening cruise in. Took the 30 mile loop. Not certain this pic will work. Lets see if it does.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GZPJqmr4Kz9S9Uhh7

I can see the pic fine.  That is one great looking Buick.

2 minutes ago, dship said:

I can see the pic fine.  That is one great looking Buick.

Thanks Dave.  It also is running and driving beautifully so far this year.  That is one side benefit of a few months of winter.  When I take it out again it takes a few weeks to recall the flaws that bug me...😙

• Haha 3

My wife and I made a one hour round trip last night in the Skylark to my daughter's place in Florida, NY. While that in itself isn't newsworthy, the new seat cushion I bought to change her sitting angle seems to have materially improved her comfort level. Some of you will recall that I was going nuts a few months ago trying to find replacement seats for the car so that we could make the trek down Route 66 in the Fall. So far, so good. Our short trip last night is far from conclusive but it's an encouraging step in the right direction. The real test will come next month when we travel to Indianapolis to visit friends. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2022 at 10:55 AM, JohnD1956 said:

Had the exhaust system repaired/replaced on Wednesday. I could see it needed everything from the catalytic converter back. What I did not know was it needed the gasket between the manifold and head pipe as well.  

At any rate it is done and "very quiet" now but it cost me half as much as I paid for the whole car so I am back to using it for just about everything.  I still like driving it and now I like it even more.

20220513_100304.jpg

Looks exactly like a company car that I had in the 80's.  Put 3,000 miles on it in 3 weeks as a rep.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Your car is beautiful Larry, I would have loved to have had the resources that are available today when I took on this project in 1977.  No internet then!!  It is a reliable driver but no more long trips for us, I would like to be still driving it when it turns 100 in 3 years and I will be 82.  When you do the math I have owned it for almost half it's life. I really enjoy watching the current projects that a currently ongoing on this site.  Leon

• Like 1

Leon:

The article you had in the Buick Bugle for the BUICKS of 1925 edition was my incentive to attempt going for one myself. Also, Leif Holmberg's account of his 1925-25 provided my most valuable contact in getting mine back on the road. His help has been invaluable to me.

I was still waiting to find a correct set of top sockets on the next over farm like you...

I had to have mine made up.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Larry

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dmfconsult said:

Some more work for the wagon this weekend and a bit of pleasurable driving…. Finally some spring like weather but no chance to bring the convertible out, just too many chores to get done!

That's a well composed picture of your 1978 Estate Wagon,

Doug.  It looks especially good from that angle.

• Thanks 1

On Thursday, I drove my 1937 Model 80C to our AACA Chapter's Annual picnic. On Friday, I drove it to a health center display with other members of my local AACA Chapter. The residents enjoyed it. On Saturday, I drove it to provide wedding transportation for a young couple. The bride was the daughter of a friend of a fellow local AACA Chapter member. 

DSC_0696.JPG

IMG_20220521_170214446_HDR.jpg

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 9

30 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Went to get some Hardware to put a new winch on the trailer

20220528_175728_HDR.jpg

Looks like you may be feeling a bit better about this one? It sure is a looker!

17 hours ago, EmTee said:

Remind me of the issue; is a replacement condenser unavailable?

Initially it was that they couldn't find a replacement for the evaporator.  I now have all the replacement parts just a matter of getting around to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine came to rest 20 minutes ago angled for room to mount up the 8.00 X 15 3" biased whitewalls tomorrow. With holiday things the job may span a day or two.

Doing it with a hand bead breaker, a couple of tie irons, an old Coates bubble balancer, a four way wrench, and flex beam torque wrench. I will check the alignment with chalk and a string. Old hand tools,biased tires, single master cylinder, front and rear drums, and a protractor.  My kids say I haven't moved forward enough to be a throwback.

Flushing the brake fluid too. And will probably drop the steering center link, tie rods, and idler arm for cleaning and a thorough greasing along with the wheel bearings.

Oh, pulling the seat belt bolts so I can install the new carpets too.

IMG_0318.JPG.3cdcece913133c89fa81ab03976e014d.JPG

• Like 8

Super day for a drive. Just about 70 degrees and sunny. Surprised to not see many antiques on the road. We went for a ride in northeastern Connecticut through Brooklyn to Pomfret, where the Pomfret School  was having their graduation, and then on to Woodstock for a picnic lunch with my daughter.

Of course we could not end the day without ice cream.  It was a great day!

46F1B3AF-9B55-4AE7-9BBB-AF9FD2B4C69F.jpeg

5F322BF7-5F31-4098-AD07-DAFF69EFF9F4.jpeg

0CBBF609-0DDB-42D2-9963-D2A19EAE67B3.jpeg

• Like 7

I had a friend call me this morning and he was asking why we were not at the local car show.  He talked me into going to the local Lions Club car show in the city park, an annual Memorial Day Weekend event.  We ended up going and spent the day visiting and see a lot of friends. 

And then low and behold out of the blue we won an award. My bride of 44 years (two days ago) with the first plaque.  Actually one of two we received.  The other one was for the Sponsor Award.

image000000 - 2022-05-29T172840.517.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Although I did not go far,  the GS and Super have been being used mostly for errands and whenever they can.  Most times there are no pictures but there are a few from Memorial day. I would like to share this one.

20220530_195839~2.jpg

• Like 9

On 5/28/2022 at 9:02 PM, parkertom said:

Drove this 65 Electra convertible. Decided not to buy though.

A86F8778-BC20-4C6D-B482-3B92E63D981D.jpeg

Was that the one on BaT?

What was the situation and condition?

18 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Was that the one on BaT?

What was the situation and condition?

This was an ad in the BCA magazine that happens to be almost 2 hours from me. Drove down and looked it over and took it for a ride. Owner has had it since ‘84. Interior is in excellent condition and the top is in really good shape too for what she thought was 30 years old. It had a fair amount of work done about 5 years ago- brakes, top cylinders as I recall. Otherwise not much done to it and it is not driven much. Looks like it could be a true 51,000 mile car.

Was wrecked in the passenger rear quarter at some point, has a repair there. Rust holes in the trunk just behind the body mounts. Otherwise body, quarters, and rockers looked good. Tires are from 1994 and ride hard as a rock and would require me to transport it home. Power windows all work except driver’s vent window...though some move slow. Top works.

I decided not to offer on it, though we have corresponded on it since and I explained why I would offer a good bit less than she was asking.

I have posted before about being the only Buick at shows. Today, I was one of 6- ranging from 1931 to 1964. Most impressive was that I wasn’t the only 1960 Buick. I was joined by this beautiful Invicta Custom Coupe. Also got to meet @MRJBUICK who was in town to see family and came by the show.

1C8EDF1C-01DD-4AAA-90DE-9C09FB7D32E9.jpeg

• Like 9