Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Meanwhile, the 56 was out almost every day last week for one thing or another. But I may have a charging issue developing. I noticed a slight discharge on the amp meter while driving tonite. So I stopped and tightened my kill switch at the battery. That seemed to fix the situation while driving to the gas pumps. But after gassing up it did it again, and fixed itself after about 2 miles headed back home. Gonna clean the terminals tomorrow and see if that helps any. 

5 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Does that year have a ranco valve? Did you ever retighten all the clamps after its first run with the new fixtures?

What is a ranco valve? Location? Will have to check the book. Car has been sitting for a while and has never done that before. Will check next time I bring out since handful with the 50 resto. Will bring some coolant next time just in case.

The Skylark is back on the road with new motor mounts and oil pan gasket. Ran it up to church yesterday, and then around the area for various errands. After about an hour's run in hot August weather I parked it back in the garage. I went back into the garage sometime later to find a dry floor for the first time since forever. What a pleasure it's going to be not having to worry about leaving a mess wherever I go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Very busy weekend, but coming home from the store, the pedal went to the floor to stop the car...  back in the shop, will go over all lines and cylinders through the week.

20180805_171357.jpg

Revolting  development!   May need a shoe adjustment at all four wheels.  No auto adjusting as found in later drum setup.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

The Skylark is back on the road with new motor mounts and oil pan gasket. Ran it up to church yesterday, and then around the area for various errands. After about an hour's run in hot August weather I parked it back in the garage. I went back into the garage sometime later to find a dry floor for the first time since forever. What a pleasure it's going to be not having to worry about leaving a mess wherever I go.

Good to hear.  Did you have a hard time finding new mounts?  

13 hours ago, Elpad said:

Picked up Almendrón from storage to install a new battery I ordered 6 months ago. Approximately 24 miles round trip. When I stored back it was already nighttime, took some pictures on the building rooftop. When I turned the engine (322) off, I smelled as overheating and soon discovered a coolant leak from what it looks like an overflow hose around the right front fender. I lifted the passenger side carpet to see if it was the heater core leaking inside the car but it was dry. Puzzle since I got a recored radiator, rebuilt water pump and a new heater core. If the engine was overheating the coolant never came out from the radiator overflow hose. Any ideas?

Do you mean the drip tube on the fire wall near where the heater hoses and defroster/heater core are located under the dash?   If so, check the heater control valve.  Hose clamps are tight.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Elpad said:

What is a ranco valve? Location? Will have to check the book. Car has been sitting for a while and has never done that before. Will check next time I bring out since handful with the 50 resto. Will bring some coolant next time just in case.

The Ranco Valve is something employed on the 56, and I think the 55, but not sure of the 54.  It is a valve that I do not understand but it is in the line of the heater hoses going to the heater core on the firewall.  It has a tube which goes inside the car and is inserted in the duct work and to the best of my knowledge, it serves to automatically moderate how much hot water is allowed into the heater core.  I would like to hear someone explain how it works but the thing is;  it is located on my fire wall,  just about under the passengers side fresh air duct and to it's left.  In some instances these have been known to develop leaks.

As the other suggestion I made, I have found it always is required to sung up all the heater hose clamps after installation, then the first time the car has been run up to operating temperature, and then allowed to cool.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Do you mean the drip tube on the fire wall near where the heater hoses and defroster/heater core are located under the dash?   If so, check the heater control valve.  Hose clamps are tight.  

Yep in that area. Will have to check next time I pick up the car!

3 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

The Ranco Valve is something employed on the 56, and I think the 55, but not sure of the 54.  It is a valve that I do not understand but it is in the line of the heater hoses going to the heater core on the firewall.  It has a tube which goes inside the car and is inserted in the duct work and to the best of my knowledge, it serves to automatically moderate how much hot water is allowed into the heater core.  I would like to hear someone explain how it works but the thing is;  it is located on my fire wall,  just about under the passengers side fresh air duct and to it's left.  In some instances these have been known to develop leaks.

As the other suggestion I made, I have found it always is required to sung up all the heater hose clamps after installation, then the first time the car has been run up to operating temperature, and then allowed to cool.  

Thanks for the info. I don’t have the car handy but I do have the shop manual. Will check into that

• Like 1

The 1954 does have the Ranco valve. I suspect that is the problem. If I recall correclty, it is used to divert the hot coolant to the underseat heater core or to the defroster core which is located near the right front corner of the dash. I had to replace or rebuild the one on my 1954 Special when I had it. I am just a bit fuzzy on the details now.  

4 hours ago, MCHinson said:

The 1954 does have the Ranco valve. I suspect that is the problem. If I recall correclty, it is used to divert the hot coolant to the underseat heater core or to the defroster core which is located near the right front corner of the dash. I had to replace or rebuild the one on my 1954 Special when I had it. I am just a bit fuzzy on the details now.  

I will check the book and the valve once I see the car, thanks for all inputs will report back

18 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Good to hear.  Did you have a hard time finding new mounts?  

I was never able to find '64 mounts, as apparently it was a one year only design that no one reproduces. Steele will rebuild your old mounts, but the turnaround time is measured in weeks and I couldn't have the car tied up like that at my mechanic's place. I forget who, but someone mentioned that mounts from '65 thru '67 would fit, but the frame mounts would have to be changed out as well. Reproduction mounts for the '65 thru '67 model years are readily available from a variety of sources, but the frame mounts not so much because you have to find a set from a parts car. I found a salvage yard with an eBay store that had a pair. Everything bolted up to existing holes. Cost of the complete set of engine and frame mounts was less than the cost of rebuilding the old mounts.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

I was never able to find '64 mounts, as apparently it was a one year only design that no one reproduces. Steele will rebuild your old mounts, but the turnaround time is measured in weeks and I couldn't have the car tied up like that at my mechanic's place. I forget who, but someone mentioned that mounts from '65 thru '67 would fit, but the frame mounts would have to be changed out as well. Reproduction mounts for the '65 thru '67 model years are readily available from a variety of sources, but the frame mounts not so much because you have to find a set from a parts car. I found a salvage yard with an eBay store that had a pair. Everything bolted up to existing holes. Cost of the complete set of engine and frame mounts was less than the cost of rebuilding the old mounts.

That is awesome!  Also good information for others who might run into the same problem.   Enjoy the ride! 

We took the '25 Buick to the local pioneer village for their agricultural fair. It's a neat place for some period photo ops. The '25 was originally owned by a doctor. There is a doctor's house preserved on the grounds and the doctor was in. Also present were a 1918 Dodge and a '29 Hupmobile raodster.

Jim

009.JPG

001.JPG

010.JPG

008.JPG

• Like 8

My wife and I attended a local car show Saturday with our 1913 Buick.  I generally use these shows to provide fun for the public mixed with education.  Many questions such as what is the top speed of our car, don't know I have never tried to reach top speed, 35 MPH is a good speed to travel.  An English bird said she used to crank start her father's car so she was offered a chance to relive her youth by cranking this one, she demurred.  I, on the other hand, started the engine with the crank at least six times during the day which delighted onlookers.  What is the tank on the running board for, acetylene gas to light the headlamps with a match.  Much fun for them and good for us too.

A lady came by and wanted a photo of her kids with our car.  The first photo is the one she would have received and then I invited the kids to sit in the front seat.  I hope she will treasure the day she took her kids to a car show.  We won a 24" trophy for Chairman' Choice, a good day was had by all.  Also it was a test run for a meet we are registered for in Michigan after Labour Day.  Regards, Gary

DSC_5029.JPG

DSC_5032.JPG

• Like 8

Today, I drove my 1937 Century to lunch. Later, I washed it, took a short drive to blow off most of the water and then finished drying it with a towel. The first photo shows it in the driveway after I washed it. Later this evening, I drove it to dinner. After returning home, I took a photo of it with the 1938 Model 67 in the background. The Model 67 is scheduled to be picked up by Dave Tacheny in the next few weeks. I recently scrapped the remains of the body donor Model 41. As soon as Dave picks up the Model 67, all of my Buicks will fit in the garage. I will soon be down to the daily driver Lesabre, the 1937 Century and my 1938 Century project. 

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0283.JPG

DSC_0284.JPG

• Like 8

On my 80C I replaced the mechanical fuel pump a few weeks back which I had noticed leaking from the center section meaning the diaphragm was shot. It was a NOS or rebuilt in the box and i should have known when i put it on the car just a month or two back, but it gave me the chance to rebuild the one that was on the car before and is now back on the car. I also replaced the electric fuel pump with one recommended by Doug Seybold. I have a fairly steep hill in the neighborhood which has become my test hill as prior to today I would have trouble making it up the hill at WOT and in the heat of the day. 

Today while I did notice it was not perfect going up the hill I could do so multiple times without assistance of the electric fuel pump. Which ultimately was my goal. I also noticed a stumble when I depress the accelerator (no doubt fuel related and something to do with the accelerator pump in the carb) and a slight miss at idle along with difficulty starting while hot. From here I will check the points/timing/etc. but I feel like I finally took a step forward on my fuel/vapor lock issues. I didn't take it out of the neighborhood today, but one step at a time. HNR AACA has an event next weekend I may decide to take it out for, we will see.

• Like 8

We have a ridge on the south side of town where the wind is good for lifting light plains. Since this was Art Festival weekend in the village I just rode out to the quiet spot, top down, of course.

008.thumb.JPG.09668510b5e33de86535533fbddda62f.JPG

Brian, I feel so close to you, each of us having top of the line Buick convertibles. Good thing they are different colors.

Bernie

• Like 3

Drove George to Vernon, Tx yesterday. Unfortunately, no pictures. This was to Summer's Last Blast car show.  A '39 Special, a '70s Skylark and a '39 restomod were the only Buicks there.

Drove just over 100 miles. Another 55 today just tooling around.  Appears as though I MAY have licked the torque ball gremlin. We shall see.

Ben

• Like 2

Since the Queen was due for her annual State  Inspection,  I took it Friday, and realized that since I flew to Denver,  I had hardly any seat time in it this whole summer.  So, regardless of the forecast I had it out a few times today.  It's such a Buick!  This car is my favorite!  And even though these pictures aren't the best ones I ever took, they are all I took today.

72 fun run0001.JPG

72 fun run0002.JPG

72 fun run0003.JPG

• Like 6

Today was my son's 18th birthday, hard to believe, but many of those here likely have grandchildren as old, or older.

Whoops! This isn't the forum to discuss our kids! Unless they're named Buick, of course.

I had to make an hour's drive to pick up my daughter, as I had been getting some repairs done on her little Suzuki SUV, and it was now ready for her take home, in the meantime she has her Sebring convert to drive. So, I decided to drive the '41 Roadmaster to pick her up, and give it a really good run, as we are leaving early next Fri on a long weekend tour in it and it hasn't had a long drive for a while.

Nice that my birthday boy came along for the ride too!

After I picked my daughter up we stopped at a coffee shop for some refreshment, and it generated so much attention, it could of had its' own fan club.

Plus some other driving in it, and though I didn't think to check the mileage when I left it was likely 120 to 130 miles all together. Not a perfect run, as it gave me a few little hiccups, here and there. Not too hot, low 80's F, and low humidity, so it was comfortable driving with no AC. Engine ran 180, only built a few degrees on the hills, and in traffic, and shed the heat again easily.

Keith

Buick41.jpg

• Like 7

After nearly 10 ears of frame off restoration and approx 40 years since it's had valid plates on it I had my "64 Buick Electra convertible that my dad bought new. In other words..... this is the first time this car has been driven on the street in nearly 40 years!!!

He ordered it triple black loaded with buckets and a super wildcat 425. Unfortunately there is a reason it took 10 years to complete but here it is......

IMG_3301.jpg

DSC_9250.JPG

• Like 14

A little more putzing around with the '56 tonight. 19 miles.  I kept hearing a periodic clunk from the pass side front area.  And after restarting the car at a convenience store I noticed that again, the amp meter was in a discharge mode.  So I got out and checked the kill switch but it was tight.  And then I figured I better get home.  So I put it in gear, and as I passed over the RR tracks I heard that clunk again.  That's when I realized my clock was working!  It had been working for the prior 4 hours too.  WTH, That hasn't worked, as far as I know, for 43 years!  And as soon as I heard the clunk and realized the clock was working I saw that the discharge situation was gone.   So apparently the points in the clock are sticking.  I'm pulling the fuse out tomorrow till I can get the clock serviced.  I don't want that thing sticking and overheating under the dash. 

Meanwhile , somewhere on one of the roads less traveled.

1952466933_2018814sunset(1).JPG.805aade07bcd4ef53c93756fcfb73fa2.JPG

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 8

On 7/15/2018 at 5:32 PM, philip roitman said:

Just got home a few hours ago from the AACA North East National Meet in Gettysburg. We left Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday we did the car tours, a Friday bus tour and then showed the '75 Electra Saturday. It was a fantastic event, extremely well organized and run. I was totally surprised and very happy last night at the Awards banquet when the car won it's First Place Jr. Award. The car drove flawlessly and we ended up visiting a friend in Pa. on the way home today. Total mileage for the trip was 767 miles and the car now has 22197 miles. I bought her last July with 18500 original miles and have enjoyed every mile since then.

There is a big difference between the original 18,500 commuter miles and the follow-on enjoyment miles.  The commuter miles had distractions like getting groceries, making the appointment on time, getting to the golf course ahead of everybody else, etc.  Your miles are all smiles!

• Like 1

While it is not the weekend, we had our local AACA Chapter's Annual Ice Cream Social this evening at a member's house. In addition to my 1937 Century we had a 1935 Buick and a 1923 Buick among the antique cars driven to the event.

DSC_0313.JPG

DSC_0314.JPG

DSC_0315.JPG

• Like 7

With all the stalling issues lately, I’ve been focused on getting the Electra tuned. It’s running very nicely now and I have it just about perfect.  Took it today to run errands... not a lot of miles but lots of smiles! 

A3C6D4F6-98BE-4D78-9BA3-4D8626F6EB96.jpeg

PS. It’s not cloudy around here it’s supposed to be sunny. It’s all the smoke from the wildfires in this part of North America making its way to the coast.

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Doug - we were in Panorama this week for a family reunion.  It was hazy there, highway 93 was closed due to smoke the day before we drove it, and there were still advisories when we left Thursday.  Calgary (we flew through there) and Winnipeg have both had air quality statements issued from Environment Canada.  It’s been like that for a couple weeks, although it’s less of a dominant feature here than further west.

• Like 1