Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

bb1970

4 hours ago, jframe said:

I'm not sure of Buick's reasoning on carb selection. It's not like you had a choice when buying the car new. My 65 has a 4GC, and it has been pretty flawless in the 4,000 miles I have added to it. Starts up on a freezing morning, and hits high idle on choke. I know the AFB is a good carb, but you do have to use the metal spacer plate with them on these cars, or risk torching the base of the carb. I just can't imagine any difference in the performance of either carb, either. Maybe Buick wanted to use up existing supply of 4GC's, and that is why the mix and match. Dantana, NICE find, btw! Good luck with getting it running again!

Using up existing supplies could be a thought but the carbs for each year -63, 64, and 65- were all unique in linkages.  I have a 64 Riviera with the standard  425 but it's running a correct carb for a 64 but it's from a 401.  Theses a difference of something like .002" in the secondary metering rods.  These cars were built to very strict tolerances. I don't see howhy they could be used to "use up existing supplies", especially over a three year run.

Edited by RivNut
effing predictive text (see edit history)

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:53 PM, RivNut said:

Looks like a great survivor with lots of potential without much work.  It's not often that you see those cars with the Rochester 4GC carb.  

Does any one have any info on why some cars came with the 4GC and others came with the Carter AFB? 

My 63 came with a Rochester.

Post more pictures as things progress.

Ed - I can offer some "hearsay" but no proof. I have searched in vain trying to document the comments below:

I asked this question of some senior Buick club members some 40 years ago about Buick using multiple carb vendors in the 1930's; and was told Buick started this practice about 1937 to protect against labor strikes on purchased items. At the time, it made sense to me (still does), as in 1939 when Buick finally dropped Marvel, they added Carter as the second manufacturer along with Stromberg. You will note that in the years since up until the late 1960's, Buick always had at least 2 carburetor vendors.

Even after the last AFB was superceded by the spread-bore Quadrajet, many Quadrajets were produced by Carter under license from GM. This practice continued through at least 1979.

EDIT: saw the comment on performance. Really virtually no difference on a STOCK Buick engine from the 4GC to the AFB. However, for those using the Buick engine for racing, MUCH easier to modify the AFB for engine changes. The 4GC can be modified, but you can almost count the 4GC modification experts on the thumbs of your feet! On the other hand, lots of knowledgable AFB tuners. Parts (then) for the AFB were much more obtainable. Today, performance parts for both can still be had from that grumpy old Missouri hillbilly, but not too many other places. Note that the "clone AFB" parts differ from genuine Carter AFB parts.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

It looks great Paul. I personally really like the red line on the grill on this one. very fitting. Black plate is excellent. It would look good with it on the front also I think. 

One of a kind and Mint. Wicked cool. Thats the NOS grill? Man, that carpet looks brand new. Wheels and tire combo look hot and rarely see that style.

Now just go get a set of cornering lamps and install a red lightbulb in them, ehehehehehe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chimera said:

It looks great Paul. I personally really like the red line on the grill on this one. very fitting. Black plate is excellent. It would look good with it on the front also I think. 

One of a kind and Mint. Wicked cool. Thats the NOS grill? Man, that carpet looks brand new. Wheels and tire combo look hot and rarely see that style.

Now just go get a set of cornering lamps and install a red lightbulb in them, ehehehehehe.

Thanks Chimera! Yes NOS in. I got the P02's NOS still in boxes. Cost me an embarrassing fortune.

I'll take cornering lamps with LED's to go, please B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, new to the Forum, and happy to be here.  Here's my '63 with a '65 front end.  Finishing up a lot of the previous owner's "sins", but it's been a good start to my new custom car build.  I'm in Montana, so finishing up the engine compartment, the interior, and doing the trunk in black leather while it's still winter. Lucasridler4.thumb.png.a1acf9088ac93fc7c4f6c054ed91d090.pngriviera6.thumb.png.0f84c4e045c67fac29fe10fa3343ed1e.pngnailhead9.thumb.png.01eee562ad4c6879d56f8f73f56316b8.pngriviera2.thumb.png.2c0ac3eb9028ba5ac50335052a839543.png

Edited by Black River (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Lucas,

Good looking car.  I know there are a lot of others besides myself who like the looks of a 65 front clip on the 63 / 64 body.  The stripes/scallops are tastefully done.  Keep posting.

Ed

Thanks, Ed.  Will do.  I'm on a few other forums so I won't be on every day.....(also have a '72 Mach 1 with a 552" stroker I bought when I was 12, a '70 Coupe Deville, and a '74 F100 with a 395" stroker).  But, I will be on as much as possible, I love that this is Rivieras only!  Been going through the posts, and it looks like a great group of people and I'll try to help as much as I can when I'm able to share my little bit of knowledge haha.  This has been my "other" dream car after my Mach 1, and I've been going through quite a bit on it.  The previous owner was a serious hack......

• Like 3

16 hours ago, RivNut said:

Lucas,

Good looking car.  I know there are a lot of others besides myself who like the looks of a 65 front clip on the 63 / 64 body.  The stripes/scallops are tastefully done.  Keep posting.

Ed

It is a good looking car, but does not have a 65 front clip. 65 grille, yes, but these are 63 front fenders with lights behind the fender grilles. These are not 65 clamshells. But still makes a good looking car.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, steelman said:

It is a good looking car, but does not have a 65 front clip. 65 grille, yes, but these are 63 front fenders with lights behind the fender grilles. These are not 65 clamshells. But still makes a good looking car.

Correct, sir.  Sorry, I misspoke, forgot I was on a Riviera only site and the guys here would actually know this.  I've said '65 front end just to keep it simple for the common "car guys" haha.....No worries :)

• Like 1

IMG_20170213_175716_022.thumb.jpg.92e4a09dd02e08b5ba1adf8d5a178278.jpgIMG_20170213_175739_211.thumb.jpg.704664abbad292999eae7afd7b89e918.jpgIMG_20170213_175845_165.thumb.jpg.301472a1879a38d0ef3a6992a8abdb23.jpgJust a few more pics of my interior and led taillights. The woodgrain is going to be custom red burlwood so I've got new panels out getting done, and I'm going to cover the center console in black leather to match my leather dash and package tray. Will be redoing the armrests in black, as I feel the red on them now looks a little chinzy.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Caballero2 said:

New member of ROA

1995 Gold edition with original Vogue gold line tires and Octavo wheels  -  40,400 original miles

003.JPG

Looks good!

That looks like a Sherwood dash kit? It appears to be the one piece across the dash? I think they were the only ones that made them that way.

Sherwood is the one I used in my '95, I think it gives it a cleaner look than the kits that are five pieces across the dash.

Nice find, and welcome to the ROA!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After spending far over a decade in storage in a dry Arizona garage, I admittedly cringed when I saw that the brief California rain caught this triple black 68 GS. Thankfully I could tell that who I got the Riviera from waxed the hell out of it. 

If I take a step back I think It has a nice look wet, however.

20160217_162040.jpg

20160217_162035.jpg

• Like 2

Howdy y'all (from France),

here two pictures I took this yesterday, at weird angles, but it somehow shows the glory of the boat tail's design.

Side story : the rear picture shows the "ramp on a ramp" wooden devices I had to construct in order to protect my Riv's underbelly from being scratched when going over the sidewalk border and down into the (shoehorn) basement garage.

This made it possible for us to take the car out last sunday for a local US cars festival here in Niort, France.

Keep on trucking !

20170403_135521.jpg

20170403_135559.jpg

20170402_151604.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much. I was wiping down the engine compartment when I took the stock Red air cleaner off so I could see better. ill take a picture of the engine with the red air cleaner. The engine is silver color. Thankfully previous owners did not change a thing.

Red Riviera Bob

Looks like it's been well taken care of. Do everyone a favor. Turn your battery around so the positive cable isn't so close to the hood when the hood is closed.  A few of us have experienced big electrical shorts when contact has been made.  The cars came from the factory with the positive cable next to the radiator.  Good safety precaution.  

Jim Cannon has all of the dealer service bulletins on a CD; well worth the $10 he gets for them.  One of them shows how to run the positive cable between the battery and the hold down bolt to keep it from making contact with the bell of the larger four note horn. 

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ed, I'll take action on the battery cable change. Thank you as I embrace safe practices. I'll get the service bulletin Jim has for $10.00

im not certain if my post made it to the AACA no hot air. Nonetheless less, after the broken bell arm was fabricated and replaced in the control panel AND vacuum water control valve was installed per Jim Cannon's instructions so I have hot air. Had it not been for Jim's tech tip on the ROA WEBSITE on how to replace the water control valve id still be wondering.

thank you

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RivNut said:

Looks like it's been well taken care of. Do everyone a favor. Turn your battery around so the positive cable isn't so close to the hood when the hood is closed.  A few of us have experienced big electrical shorts when contact has been made.  The cars came from the factory with the positive cable next to the radiator.  Good safety precaution.  

Jim Cannon has all of the dealer service bulletins on a CD; well worth the $10 he gets for them.  One of them shows how to run the positive cable between the battery and the hold down bolt to keep it from making contact with the bell of the larger four note horn. 

Ed

Ed, thanks for the safety tip on the battery.

Red Riviera Bob

We've had the rainiest winter on record here in Seattle, but the sun finally peeked out yesterday so I took my 64 down to the marina and the beach. Just got her back from the mechanic after a tune up and Pertronix install.

rivi424.JPG

• Like 4

Weather is finally coming around and I've been able to swap in lowering springs and pop on the new wheels. Before and after shots show what Jamco's  2" drop provides although the springs that came out where way too big. Hoping after alignment the front settles in !

Bill

20170423_105155.jpg

20170424_172524.jpg

20170425_165456.jpg

• Like 2