Which of your past rides do you miss the most?

keiser31

Two Corvair Monzas - my first and third new cars. Unkillable. I drove 'em like I hated 'em (I really didn't) and they always came back for more. Also right up there was my '63 Ferrari 250 GTE 2+2, which I bought used in '68. The Colombo V-12 was a lot less fussy than many people think. I put about 30,000 miles on it in a little over two years. Modern cars? I bought an '88 Mercedes 300E that I'd like to still have, but my 2002 M-B CLK430 AMG coupe is still runnin' like a train and may be the best car I ever owned --- overall. Solid, fun to drive handles great and stops on a dime. Most of all it's faster than my old Ferrari! But unlike the Ferrari, cops don't pay it much attention at all. laugh.gif

clovers (Pat Durkin)

post-60334-143138047335_thumb.jpg

Out of all the cars I have owned, the one that stands out in my mind was a 67 Cadillac sedan deville, sky blue with a dark blue interior. Low milage and great shape for a 20 year old. I saw an ad in the paper for it saying it was not running. Bought it from an old couple for 300.00 and towed it home. It had started "smoking" and quit running so they did not check what was wrong, just went and bought a new Chrysler. Replaced a blown radiator hose and dried out everything that had been saturated with antifreeze and it was ready to take our family on many outings.

I wish I had never gotten rid of my '75 Monte Carlo. I know, not exactly on anyone's hot list, but it had great lines and styling. Mine only had a 305, but that didn't stop it from getting up and going, and it cornered on a rail. I loved driving that car. It was always referred to by friends as the "Batmobile".

Hey Wayne, I think he fell asleep Before he could tell us if it was a Z-28 Camero, or a Z-280 Datsun. shocked.gif

I think he is still laying on the keyboard...ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz. Hey you up there, wake up and smell the coffee. wink.gif

laugh.gif Dandy Dave!

Think we always have a special place for our first car. In my case it was a white XK-150S roadster (triple carb, gold head). At the time I really wanted a TR-3 (A or B) but could afford the Jag. Then I found out why (still have some whitworth wrenches).

Nine Jags later I kicked the habit (except for needing an oil pressure gauge in all cars) and for three decades have had GM cars that were made in the USA but that first Jag may be the reason I now have a white Reatta roadster. Even has 16 inch wheels (but not 6.00x16 RS5s). Just love the sound of a healhy six.

post-31022-143138047712_thumb.jpg

Guest Paul Christ

I still have the four door on the left. My grandparents bought her new, and she's a member of the family. I owned the sport coupe (on right) during college, and for a while thereafter. I wish that I still had that car, though it would take a lot to get her back to stock.

n1335823082_30140382_1333.jpg

Have to say that of the 60+ (or is it now 70+) cars I've owned, the '57 Porsche Speedster bought new at Otto Glockler Porsche in Frankfurt, Germany in June 1957 for $2550 was the best car I've owned. Black with red leather coupe seats and chrome wheels, it was stunning. Had no idea at the time what a treasure it was but got a hint after I sold it to buy a '59 Alfa Romeo 1300 Spider.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul Christ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

1962 GMC Armored Police Truck

</div></div>

Picture, please!!!

And can you bring it to the City of Rockville show this fall, also to the All-GM show at Montgomery College in August???

Guest Paul Christ

Doug,

I'm still putting some finishing touches on the truck, but will definitely have it ready for the Rockville show and possibly the All-GM show at MC as well. Will post pics when the truck is complete.

Paul

Probably the '31 Ford that I learned to drive that left the family when I was in my teens. Here I am at age 12. Next comes my '56 Chev. Bel Aire hardtop... I don't think I have a digitized pic... but will be looking... At my 25th high school reuinon, most of the folks asked what ever happened to that pristine '56 Chev.... sold for $325. in 1967.

post-59809-143138048837_thumb.jpg

post-59809-143138048837_thumb.jpg

The car I miss most wasn't even mine. It was a Dodge Dart owned by my neighbor. Two door hardtop, dark green with a black vinyl roof. She was the original owner and kept it in mint condition well into the late 1980's. I drove that car a couple of times on errands for her and replaced the grille on it for her once when it got damaged. Always thought it was the most beautiful car on our street and kept dreaming about buying it off her some day. She wouldn't sell it, but said that if she ever did, I'd be the one. One year while I was away at college, the old lady passed away, her daughter got the car and immediately wrecked it.

Probably a 1977 Thunderbird. White/maroon vinyl top and leather seats, and polycast turbine wheels. It was unusual in that it was a gage package car with engine turned dash trim instead of the more common woodgrain. It also came with- a QuadraSonic AM-FM-8 track! I had only one quadraphonic 8-track tape, Doobie Bros "The Captain and Me", but you COULD tell a difference in stereo imaging and separation.

Had I known as much about Ford emission controls then as I do now, I think I could have got rid of the annoying part throttle spark knock that ran me up the wall and ultimately caused me to trade it in on a 1982 Town Landau, that was just never the car the 77 was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul Christ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doug,

I'm still putting some finishing touches on the truck, but will definitely have it ready for the Rockville show and possibly the All-GM show at MC as well. Will post pics when the truck is complete.

Paul </div></div>

Cool! I look forward to seeing it!

Hey, with your avatar, do you work for a guy named John Damskey, by any chance? grin.gif

DK

• 1 year later...
Guest Richard D

My first car (of course) A 1965 Marlin, in 1969 and my first new car that I paid for, a 1973 Camaro LT loaded.

My 70 ElCamino. Fire engine red with a silver accent stripe across the bottom.

It was the first time I cranked a car up over the 100 mph mark.

Still here, no blown tire. The guy I sold it to let his teenage Son drive it one night. He managed to put the car on it's roof and total it.

I ran into his Son at a car last Summer. He will always be the one who wrecked my favorite car. He drops his eyes in shame as we laugh about it.

Without a doubt I miss my 1962 Lincoln Continental Convertible the most. I sold it to purchase a 1931 Buick 90 Series Phaeton, but that car was sold out from under me (unbeknownst to me) the day before sold the '62 Lincoln. The Lincoln went to an AACA member named Edson Williams in the Detroit area and I understand it later wound up with him in Naples, Florida. My understanding is another AACA member owns the car how. It was a real beauty when Ed finished it. It was painted yellow with a tu-tone tan interior and tan top. Anyone know where it is? If I could have one car back that would be the one.

Guest CaptainGTX

That would be my 40 Ford Deluxe Coupe I bought in the early 70's, restored in the 80's and sold in the late 90's. A frame off "restoration", I built it stock except for early speed equipment. The flathead engine was a bare block from my father-in-law's 48 Ford farm truck, but was built by guy who used to build & race flatheads at Bonneville. Bored .185" over with Edmund heads, Offy intake w/ dual 97's, etc. Ran very strong. Painted black lacquer, the only exterior deviations from stock were dual exhausts & blue-dot taillights. It was a beautiful car, and a big mistake to sell it, even though it mostly just sat in the garage.

As with most regrets, I've moved on. Shortly after I sold it I bought & restored a 69 GTX, which would be the next ride I'd miss most - but I'm not going to sell it. Or my 53 Dodge Coronet convertible I'm just starting to work on.

miss the most? that's hard to pick.... i've a few. '56 pontiac safari(sold 1968 $175); '51 mercury 2dr (sold 1972 $25); '52 hudson hornet 4dr (sold 1974 $300); '56 corvette (sold 1974 $650); '39 packard 110 coupe (sold 1977 $600); '63 impala 2dht (sold 1982 $1400). ok...now to narrow that down to one....

67 Plymouth GTX, dark metallic green with black interior. 375 HP 440, Torqueflite with Hurst Dualgate shifter, 3.54 Dana Suregrip, factory front disc brakes, Magnum 500 chrome wheels with white letter Firestone Wide Ovals. I beat on that car mercilessly and it never let me down. I sold it for $1,050 way back when but always regretted it.

Well, the revival of this post is the perfect occasion to share with the group. In the mid 1990s my first sports car purchase was a well used 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 which I "bought for the wife" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). I was pleased to find easy parts availability and in a few months had a nice driver which we really enjoyed. Or so I thought....

In 2000 I was to install a new top on a 1995 Miata for the dealership and when said wife spotted the automatic transmission and cupholders I learned the Fiat was not as beloved as I thought. I bought the Miata and sold the Fiat as we did not need two sportscars, and I consoled myself that the Miata was world reknown as the answer to sports car fun with Japanese reliability. Still have it.

But I missed the character and soul of the Fiat. I joke to the wife we old car people love using those terms but to us "character" really means you don't know for sure if you will make it to your destination. So 2 weeks ago when looking through the local auto trader what did I find but the attached, another Italian sports car with lots of character. Which means that it does not run and the owner could not fix it. I could not resist, and the wife likes it too and did not even act wiser when I said I only want to drive it for the summer then sell it for a little profit.....Shhhh......Todd

post-31304-143138203417_thumb.jpg

post-31304-14313820342_thumb.jpg

In '77, I owned a '67 Mercury Montclair (think it was the next one down from the Monterey) 2-dr. HT with the 410 cu. in. engine and C-6 automatic. It only had a two barrel carb and single exhaust, but still had plenty of power, and was smooth and comfortable with power steering ,brakes, windows, seats, A/C, am/fm 8 track, and 15 inch wheels. Not all that bad on gas at the time. I sold the car when I bought a new Chevrolet Malibu 2-dr. in '81, a car happen to still have.

Edited by rhb1999
no editing (see edit history)

My 1967 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible. It was a 1 owner car that I bought in the mid 70s in Dayton OH. I freshened it up, fixing rust, new paint, new top, and took it to the Ford 75th Anniversary in Dearborn in 1978. In 1981, I sold it through Hemmings to an individual in PA to buy my first house.

Clearwater Aqua, two tone interior, and a white top. One of 1943 XL convertibles built that year. I still miss it almost 30 years later.

Kevin

Guest De Soto Frank

A couple of my most dearly-missed:

'62 Falcons -my Fordor Deluxe and Mom's Tudor.

'61 Plymouth Belvedere 4-dr sedan

'63 Wildcat 4 dr HT

'50 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe 4-dr

'51 Chevy 3600 3/4-ton pick-up

Guest Siegfried

The first two cars I ever drove, both my mom's, a '52 Studebaker Commander, and a '62 Studebaker Lark. My third and fourth 'owed by me cars', a '54 Studebaker Champion heavily modified, and a '62 Corvair Spyder.

I miss all four of them!

Actually None! The best is the one I drive now....A 89 Triple Black Caprice Classic in mint condition. Here are my past nightmares:

1966 Mustang - 6 cylinder motor idled like a truck. Had to drive with both feet to keep it running. Would not start when hot!

1968 Fairlane 500 Fastback - Great looking car but doors froze shut in winter. Had absolutely no power and barely made hills. Front end burned tires faster than a garbage dump.

1970 Dodge Superbee - Intake Manifold cracked after 1st year of ownership. Doors were so misaligned that striker caused them to stick out 1/2 inch beyond quarter panel when closed. Chronic miss at high speed. J11Y plugs burned up each 10K.

1973 Dodge Charger - Lifter ticks began at 40K. Rust bubbles in fender nose after 1st year. Unsolvable hesitation from 3rd year on with 318.

1990 Mercury Cougar - Digital dash shorted out. Brake rotors warped beyond cutting in first year. Front wheel bearings squeeling in second year (Sealed) Steel factory installed wheel locks froze on Aluminum wheels and had to be burned off to rotate tires.

My first car I inherited from my grandfather. A '65 Wildcat coupe. Crashed it twice and threw a rod through the side of the engine all in about a year. I miss that car and that's the reason I own the Wildcat i have today. (Never give a car with that much power to a 16 year old boy!)

I also have strangely fond memories of the first car I ever bought....$225 for a yellow and rust colored '72 Toyota Corona. repainted it with 25 cent spray paint from Big Lots. best $4 paint job EVER! I gave that one to my brother with strong reminders to add a quart of oil every week......4 weeks later the engine froze.