Which of your past rides do you miss the most?

keiser31

Which of your past cars owned by you do you miss the most? I REALLY miss my 1957 MGA roadster. It was the most fun and cantankerous of cars that I ever owned. I always made certain to park on a slight slope because I never knew if the starter would get it going. You know...LUCAS...Prince of Darkness. That car in the San Diego weather was one of the most fun times of my life.

post-37352-143138042477_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138042482_thumb.jpg

Modern cars - my 1988 Mercedes Benz 420SEL, Signal Red with black leather - it had perfect balance, was fast, fun, comfortable and got great mileage - not a rattle or squeek and never a single problem. I never had a modern car before or since that could match it. Vintage cars - my 1937 Packard Twelve 1508 sedan. Fast and fun, totally reliable, always put a smile on my face, every time I drove it.

This was my daily driver for three years and 20,000 miles. A 1962 Porsche Cab B Super 90. It seemed like every time I looked down at the speedo I was doing 90mph. I restored it, showed it at Meadow Brook Concours, and sold it soon after. It has an extremely interesting first-owner history. The dealer that bought it couldn't have cared less about its history and didn't want to hear it.

post-33613-143138042487_thumb.jpg

Modern car - 1995 Chevy LT-1 9C1 ex-Texas DPS car. Bought it with 113,000 miles, sold it with 162,000. Absolutely the best beater car ever!

Older car - 1967 Plymouth GTX 440. Bought it when muscle cars were worthless, did a lot of work on it and drove the snot out of it for 3 years. Sold it for $1,050, what's it worth today?

Probably my Mom's 1968 Cadillac Convertible. It was a blue-green with a white top and blue seats. It was a gorgeous car that was a thrill to ride in, especially as kids..... until my brother, learning to drive, kept shifting the transmission like a manual shift as he drove it around in the parking lot..... end of 68 Cadillac! It went back to Dad, who fixed it and promptly sold it (as he tended to do with all of Mom's cars).

That was what prompted her to buy the 1974 Ford Maverick. No comparison to the Cadillac Convertible, but a solid little car, and no, my brother was not allowed to drive it!

Old car... don't realy have a case to miss one. The only thing I've had on the road was my first car, a '64 Chevy II 4dr (6cyl, 3speed)and I'm now driving a '63 Chevy II 4Dr (6cyl,powerglide).

The one I miss the most is my '86 Jeep CJ7 I would have loved to have had this past weekend, beautiful day to be riding with the top off!

a 1967 toyota land cruiser that I took all over the calif. back country, the desert country, pismo beach, etc. drove it coast to coast twice, transplanted a SBC 350 and raced it at the Gravelrama in 1975, the fwd events at Sandwich Island Mass. put over 140K on it, now have a bad back because of it, but man I wish I had that rig back if for nothing more than to just put it in the garage and sit in it once in a while.

Guest AntarcticDave

The one I miss most was my 1965 Thunderbird, aqua, with a matching interior. A close second would be my 1968 Eldorado, silver with a black vinyl top and a black & white houndstooth interior (hey, it went with my teal leisure suit!). smile.gif

Dave

I had a '68 Pontiac Tempest Custom 2-door hardtop that had a 350 2-bbl and a factory Hurst 3-speed on the floor... would be a rare car now. Also owned a '69 Cutlass flat-top wagon that had a 350 and a factory 4-speed... that was probably the most fun car I ever had. It's now back with the original owner who restored it. I wish I could go back to the '56 Pontiac Star Chief that we had when I was in high school, I sortof did that one in prematurely due to ignorance. Finally, I had a '72 Cutlass Town Sedan and an '84 Caprice sedan that were both extremely trouble-free and were wonderful cars to ride in. The Cutlass had a factory heavy-duty suspension, and I added a set of 9C1 sway bars to the Caprice... Tom McCahill always recommended the HD suspension and he was right!

Geez, I almost forgot the '52 M38 military Jeep that had a 283 Chevrolet engine in it... that's another one I cry about.

Guest Skyking

My 1964 Malibu SS convertible.........This photo was probably taken in 1970. My son is now 41. You can also see my other 1964 Chevelle 2dr post in the background. That car I bought new.

scan0001-2.jpg

Guest windjamer

Most modern, 89 Chevy silverado. Bought it in 90 and put over a hundred fifty thousand miles on it. Loaded, had everything but a butt wipe,never a problem. Oldest a 1961 pontiac ventura with a full race engine w/tri-power a four speed standard and quick change rear. Bought it fresh out of the army in 67, paid $4000. for it and thats a lot more than it cost new. But like I said it was built to race. I blew it up blowing the doors off a Vett. Thats when I learned what dad ment about paying for a dead horse. Cost me a hundred a month for better than a year after I put the rod through the block. Wow was it fun. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

I miss 2 cars equally. First was a 64 Plymouth Sport Fury, 383, auto, black on black. ( I now have another which is getting freshened up) The second was a 69 Camaro SS convertable!. 350/350, 4 speed, R/S option, Fathom Green, one sexy & fast car! I can't afford another, so I'll just rely on memories!

post-30986-143138042845_thumb.jpg

My first car, a 1968 Chevelle post car with a 365hp 327, M-22 and 4.11s. The car was ordered with the tranny and rear end behind a 200hp 327. The 365hp was only available in the Vette in '68 (350hp 327 max in the Chevelle) so the engine (365hp) was ordered separately and installed by the dealer. (It was done as a special favor by the dealer for the original owner.) I was sitting on my bicycle in the original owners driveway when he brought the car home. Before he was even out of the car I told him I wanted to buy it when he was done with it. He laughed and said OK. Four years later he called me, said he remembered what I said and asked if I still wanted the Chevelle. I bought it that day for $700.

I've had a fast car or two but that Chevelle was an absolute screamer. It had that certain something to it that machines often have, it just seemed to always be "right." I traded it in for my first Vette and would love to have it back. Sorry, I gots no picture, but at least I've narrowed it down to one.

It's a toss up, my 1957 Ranchero with a 428 SCJ I build from the ground up or the 1971 Yellow Ranchero GT 351 I bought new and ran it well over 100,000 miles before the tin worm had it's way and I sold it to finance a cross county trip on my (then) new 1976 KZ900 Kawasaki

Guest leadsled1953

my 66 chysler newport four door[the second one]i paid $1200 for it.it was a sharp looking car.when i moved i sold all 3 of my 66 newports to a friend..he had them crushed when he couldnt sell them.i would have bought it back if i had known.

One of the favorites… I truly miss my first car, 1956 Dodge Sierra Wagon, although it never saw the road with me behind the wheel, the short story was; it was one of the family cars and then given to me but I was 6 months away from getting my license and as the months counted down seeing it in the backyard drove my mother to call the scrap yard to haul it away while I was in school. I’ve kept my eyes open now and then through the years looking for another but no such luck to date.

But thinking through my answer to this topic had brought me to face/realize the number of cars (42) that I’ve owned, and in the end I put a list together. This experience had me remembering all these cars and realizing a large number of them in the end have a special meaning/memory to me. In some circles I may be on the high side of total vehicles owned through the years, in others on the low side. I can tell you that I am very much addicted to the automobile, the favorite years range from the late 20’s through the 60’s, the biggest reason being the magic and the basic nature of the technology and the belief (false or not) that they represent a simpler time in life.

Just a couple more favorites from my youth: 1930 Desoto Straight 8 4 Dr, 1962 Chrysler 300 361 3 Spd on the floor (original from Chrysler), 1964 Corvair Monza Convertible, 1964 MGB, 1967 Dodge Charger, 1967 Plymouth Satellite 2Dr hardtop 318.

Scotts_DG8

How Ironic. I did the same thing a few years ago starting with a 1929 model - a coupe. I have the list stored away

on a drive somewhere, utI have listed every vehicle I ever owned. I also included in the list what I paid for it and what I sold it for. Boy did that bring back memories.

Guest Orphanauto

I wish i still has the car I learned to drive in. A 1963 Studebaker lark, but My favorite car which I no longer have is a 1951 Studebaker Commander Starlight coupe. When I drive a old car, people look, but when you drive a bullet nose, wrap around rear window people stop and stare. I would laugh as people would stare and point at the car. One day while cuizing down the old highway 101 in North county San Diego, A young woman was hitch hicking and being a young guy, I gave her a ride. After about 15 minutes, she noticed everyone looking at us. She looked at me and said " are you famous" hahhaa, of course, it was the car, but I had to say " Don't you know who I am? haha

Guest Leonard Shepherd

I got laid off and divorced, so I had to sell my 55 Studebaker Commander hardtop. It was the favorite car that I ever owned

post-52673-143138043013_thumb.jpg

Newer stuff...A 1975 Chevy Nova, 250 CID 6 Cylinder,and a 3 speed automatic transmission. Light blue with light blue interior. The toughest dang car Chevy ever built.

Old stuff... 1911 Stoddard Dayton Roadster. I only had part of the car. If I had the motor and Transmission it would still be in my garage. whistle.gif Dandy Dave!

Guest oldslady liz

i miss my 1958 chevy impala convertible that i bought for $50..from an elderly lady... it was my first car and i loved it.. we made it a family project to fix it up.. it look so gorgeous with its baby moons and jet black body and red interior and dual exhausts.. i have a pic of it somewhere....

1956 Austin Healy 100-4. I suprised many 307 Chevys and Mustangs with it. Got beat by a Sunbeam tiger though.

One day the car was parked at the beach, when I returned there was a young lady sitting in it waiting for a ride.

Pickins don't get any easier than that. Wish I had a picture of it, but they burned in a house fire. I paid $900 and a 49 Plymouth for it in 1966.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldsDoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was that the engine (or derivative) that was used in the TR-8? I'd forgotten about them... </div></div>

Yes it was. GM sold the tooling to the British. The revised metric version was used by Rover, Triumph, Morgan and perhaps others.

The guy who built my car had a "TR-V8" emblem made to replace the trunk lid "TR-4" It was a lot of fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Dube</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The guy who built my car had a "TR-V8" emblem made to replace the trunk lid "TR-4" It was a lot of fun. </div></div>

I bet! Long ago, guy I went to high school with, his brother had an Austin Healey 3000 with a Chevy V8 in it... that was pretty cool! He always talked about putting a V8 in a Metropolitan...

Guest 1928Packard526

The car I miss the most and wish I had kept rather than some of the older iron I did hang on to, was my '64 Chevelle 2 dr, SS, in white with a black vinyl interior, 4 speed, positraction, and big V8. It drove well, looked good, and was a pretend muscle car. I bought it new, but a growing family soon made it impractical, so we traded it in on a Ford Station wagon. Big mistake.

Pete P.

The car I miss most was my 1979 Continental Mark V Cartier edition. Most people here do not seem to like the 1970's cars, but I thought it was great. It had beautiful styling, handled well for a car of its size, and was loaded with every modern convenience, even moonroof. Plus it had the extra fun of the designer snob appeal to even further distinguish it from other Mark V's. And it was a real Cartier, not just one with a Cartier clock like they try to pass off on Ebay all the time as a Cartier. I bought it as my only car in 1996. The guy bought it new and had offers on it, but didn't want to sell it to anyone that was going to just use it as a beater. I was the only one to promise to take care of it, so he even drastically reduced the price so I could afford to buy it when he had other higher offers. We even argued about who would keep the Cartier dash plaque with his name engraved on it. I won.

I used it as a daily driver until 2004. Then it was "retired" and was used only as a show car. I was slowly minting it out and had just spend $1200 on repairs in May 2007. Everything that had been irritating me about for years had been fixed. Less than 24 hours later it was rear ended by an 18 year old idiot with no insurance that was too busy talking on his cell phone to notice that all the cars were stopped in front of him. He just plowed into it at about 40 mph and totaled it. The Cartier dash plaque and a few other small items are all I have left of it.

It took about a year and a half before I found a 1976 Mark IV Givenchy to replace it. It is a nice car, but I liked the Cartier better. And of course the Givenchy has no interesting history behind it or sentimental value.

Guest Gary Hearn

I have probably owned 50 vehicles in my life, but the one I would like to have back was a '63 Studebaker Daytona 2 door hardtop. I paid $29 for it while I was in college and ended up selling it at the end of the school year for $60. No way to get it back as the new owner (who I am still friends with 30 odd years later) parted it out. A well optioned car with power disc brakes, AT, AM radio, vanity, etc.

As far as beaters, the '70 Pontiac LeMans Sport I bought for $75 in 1979. It hadn't been run in almost 2 years, but with a battery and 5 seconds of cranking, I had it running. Nothing fancy (350 2V, AT w/ console), but it was reliable and fun to drive. I parked it because I was too cheap to fix the upper control arm bushings.

Pulled the engine and helped an employee install it in his Firebird and dropped the rest at a junkyard. However, I did jack it up and take the 2 front wheels and tires as they only had 1500 miles on them. I also just ran across the bolt on U-Haul hitch I had for it.

I really miss my 1936 Dodge Brothers dual sidemount touring sedan. We (my dad) bought it for $450.00 from a guy in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. On the way home, we realized why it was so cheap for being so beautiful. The rear end gear had a tooth or two missing and every mile or so, the rear gears would lock up and we would screech to a halt. I found a parts car for $25.00 and replaced the gears. Went to back out of the garage and put the car in reverse. Let out the clutch and boom....the car went forward and hit the back wall of the garage! WHAT THE H>>>??? Tried it again with the same results. Turned out that I had installed the gears in upside-down. I had three reverse gears and 1 forward gear! I drove the car to my high school and let the auto shop teacher turn the gears right side-up. I always giggle about that dumb mistake. I always laugh aloud when I remember the look and the reaction from my father. He was very amused.

That car had a black lacquer paint job that was awesome. The interior was beautifully original. I did a manual valve cleanup on it and it ran sweetly. My dad said "Let's sell it and paint the '31 Dodge.". We sold it to a guy whose wife forced him to keep it outdoors and it was trashed COMPLETELY by vandals. I cried out loud when I last saw it. It was parked on the back parking lot at the Dolly Madison Apartments in Royal Oak, Michigan when I last saw it. I only hope that it was saved by some caring person.

post-37352-143138043716_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313804372_thumb.jpg

Guest Sheldon Rody

My first car was a texas Tan and cream 52 Hudson Hornet and I owned it for 20 years, so I miss that one.

In newer cars I miss a new 77 Dodge Diplomat 2dr and a new 77 Dodge Charger that were demonstraters. Also a new Pacer X that was a good driving car.

sheldon