What is your favorite dashboard?

Amphicar BUYER

Guest Skyking

John, this is a tough question. I think most dashes of the 50's &60's were just as pretty as the cars were. My all time favorite has to be the 1960 Buick & 1961 Chevrolet.

These are some of my favorites, all from our own cars.

Dash_49_Buick.jpg

'49 Buick Roadmaster http://photos.aaca.org/data/506/Dash_49_Buick.jpg (Click once after opening to enlarge).

Dash_57_Buick.jpg

'57 Buick Roadmaster http://photos.aaca.org/data/506/Dash_57_Buick.jpg

Dash_60_Buick.jpg

'60 Buick Invicta http://photos.aaca.org/data/506/Dash_60_Buick.jpg

63_Lincoln_Dash.jpg

'63 Lincoln Continental http://photos.aaca.org/data/500/63_Lincoln_Dash.jpg

If I had to pick an all-time favorite, it would be the '60-'62 Chrysler with the Electro-luminescent Orb. The '57 Buick above reminds me of those nifty large plastic dashboards we could never afford when growing up.

Every Christmas I kept hoping, but Santa never delivered one!

Guess I'll just have to make do...

TG

I'm too trifling to learn how to post pictures, but naturally I think 66-69 Olds Toronado (and Riviera for that matter) are classy. 1960-66 and 71-3 big Olds are right snazzy too.

Outside of Oldsworld, I think a 1951 Ford passenger car dash is beautifully designed.

Any 1960s Pontiac dashboard is great. Buick's huge round mid-60s pods are inspired too.

1968 Chevelle was a nice design. There was just enough change for 69 that I found some elements of it irksome.

For years I thought 65-later big Ford dashes were a little too minimalist. I realize now they were a functional and attractive design. That dinky little square clock is still, well, dinky.

You know, I haven't found many dashboards I couldn't face on a daily basis.

I concur with the 810/812 Cord dash. With the simple but elegant engine turning, and the short and shapely knobs, it is a true work of art. The pre-selector shift stalk mounted on the steering column may not actually be part of the dashboard, but they pushed it over the top for a unique look. My late father in law owned three of them. What beauties!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John Gelfer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I concur with the 810/812 Cord dash. With the simple but elegant engine turning, and the short and shapely knobs, it is a true work of art. The pre-selector shift stalk mounted on the steering column may not actually be part of the dashboard, but they pushed it over the top for a unique look. My late father in law owned three of them. What beauties! </div></div>

I spent about a half hour last night trying to steal a photo of a 810/812 Cord dash! Can someone post a photo for those that never got to sit behind one? Just like sitting in a vintage airplace cockpit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peter J.Heizmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice dash you have there, Dave... wink.gif

Peter J. </div></div>

I'm afraid that's not my car. It is virtually identical to the car I'm building, even the grain in the dash is <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> similar. My car is Royal Blue, not BRG, however. blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John Gelfer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I concur with the 810/812 Cord dash. With the simple but elegant engine turning, and the short and shapely knobs, it is a true work of art. The pre-selector shift stalk mounted on the steering column may not actually be part of the dashboard, but they pushed it over the top for a unique look. My late father in law owned three of them. What beauties! </div></div>

I spent about a half hour last night trying to steal a photo of a 810/812 Cord dash! Can someone post a photo for those that never got to sit behind one? Just like sitting in a vintage airplace cockpit. </div></div>

Bob, go back about 5 replies and you'll see one.

As a side note, one of my earliest memories was that of a 4 going on 5 year old in 1969 riding in my dad's 812 coupe from Mass to Akron where we'd get dropped off at my Grandmas before my Parents would continue on to Auburn Indina for the ACD festival.

Guest oldslady liz
oldsmobilerestoration003.jpgmine is being restored now.. so some of the dash is apart to have the wiring harness installed... i like your "dash" everybody.. nothing like the old dash..

Guest Hinckley

I have trouble thinking of a dashboard on any American car produced during the 1930s that isn't a work of art. However, the most outstanding and memorable has to be the early 1960s Chrysler "bubble" dash.

Guest Paul Christ

I really like to see a lot of gadgets on a dashboard, and so I was drawn to the one below. This dash is from a 1904 Mercedes Simplex, however, other very early Mercedes cars seem to have had a similar set-up.

2489861635_843305575d.jpg

10004807.JPG

I wondered what purpose some of the "gadgets" on the Simplex dash served, and was able to find this explanation on the Internet...

"To start the Mercedes Simplex, a powerfully built assistant first had to turn the crank below the radiator while the driver used a lever by the steering wheel to adjust the fuel/air mixture and a second lever to adjust the ignition timing. Prior to this, he needed to operate the hand pump for the fuel and lubricant tank on the left side of the dashboard, while monitoring the pressure increase shown by a manometer.

And that was not all: in front of the driver there were no less than eleven glass tubes with plungers, which enabled him to supply the various engine bearings with lubricant - the so-called "grease trumpet". Once he had checked and operated all the instruments, he was able to depress the clutch, engage first gear in the external shift gate and finally drive off."

Guest Paul Christ

The Mercedes 500k/540k dash pictured above is exquisite. I found some other beauties that I just couldn't keep to myself...

(please let me know if I've posted too many)

1937 Talbot Lago T150 SS Figoni Et Falaschi Coupe

2490674034_82589e82d4.jpg

1925 Rolls Royce Phantom I Jonckheere Aerodynamic Coupe

2490673366_82751bd3bc.jpg

1947 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Stabilimenti Farina Cabriolet

2489856327_f0202e9610.jpg

1949 Cisitalia 202Sc Cabriolet

2490674950_1b43919c79.jpg

Isotta Fraschini 1930

2489862243_3e19869467.jpg

1937 Delage D8 120S Pourtout Areo Coupe

2490675302_de24223082.jpg

Mercedes 52

2489860275_612f43e1f0.jpg

Guest Plymouthy

I have to vote for the D24 Dodge (1946-48)as they are truly a work of art combining woodgrain and wall to wall chrome along with some of the best layout of controls ever...eye candy for any car lover.

i,m quite partial to mid 30's to 40's wood grain dash's of the chrysler family cars with the fancy background on the instruments , but they can be a pain to replicate , i still haven't found any body than can do the gold fish scale effect on a 39 Desoto guage

• 1 month later...