We all grow old, but some never grow up: Racing by 71-Year-Old Causes Major Accident

NB SR 2 at Chattaroy Rd

A serious two-car collision occurred in Chattaroy, WA, allegedly caused by Harold Whitley, 71, racing another vehicle. The crash left Anthony Sandhofer, 78, seriously injured. Both were transported to Sacred Heart Medical Center. Whitley now faces vehicular assault charges. The incident, which took place at least three days ago, has been a topic of heated discussion among the public.

Well street racing carries serious consequences whether one is 17 or 71.  Age factor may be a curiosity but you can't fix stupid.

Cannot tell what the vehicle is.  If it's a collectible or street rod a bummer because more and more non car folk lump all car people into one groyp or hobby it seems these days. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My brother races a 1930's era motorcycle in the VRRA (Canada historic racing club). He has been doing so successfully for quite a few years now. A couple of years back he had a serious accident in which an 80 yr old guy hit him in the rear doing about 70mph. The guy that hit him was at fault and after the accident they found he had been banned by all tracks except the one where this happened due to reckless driving! At some point one must learn their limitations.

• Like 4

I hate to see this kind of thing on the streets.

I am 75 and still get into the race car on occasion.

I still do the go karts as well. I did have a wheel-to-wheel incident last season that sent me tumbling.

The best remedy is to climb back on the horse. I gathered it up and got me a second-place finish.

Go Kart.jpg

IM000670.JPG

• Like 7

The 71 year old was driving a Honda and hit the 78 year old in a Kia Sportage who was trying to cross the road. No mention of what car the Honda was "racing".

https://www.bigcountrynewsconnection.com/news/71-year-olds-alleged-racing-leads-to-serious-collision-north-of-spokane/article_2a2217b8-0007-11ef-b5d3-f3ca9f6b8e57.html

Not on the highway!  Off road closed course is a different story with all the safety rules that fall into place.  The off-road motorcycle events I used to participate in had a class called super senior which would have included this age group.  If you were in good enough physical condition you had a place and event to test your skills.

• Like 1

I'm 85 now and decided i have to retire from hang gliding after 45 years in the sport. To quote Clint Eastwood "A mans got to know his limitations"

So, like many things we all will face, the spirit is still willing but the flesh is weak.

Them there geezers need a reality check ......bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I agree…

Most times if an accident which looks blatant or obvious due to age reaction times , the track rules gently to ban the driver from the track for life .

Ive seen it more than a few times at Laguna and Limerock.

That way you don’t throw a blanket on the age thing.

On the road , Well as others have said , this is a Honda sport utility and a Kia Mini suv.

So it’s just typical road rage sweeping the country.

Unless it’s another WOKE media outlet making it up to ban all cars again and men off the road for being preditors of the road or something.

Another dumb story…..

Hey how come all the illegals driving 120 mph and usually killing themselves never make the papers ?

gtjoey1314

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure of the rationale for posting this on AACA. Neither vehicle is AACA eligible. The fact 2 guys were "racing" is debatable at 71MPH in a likely 65mph zone. Regardless, as someone suggested, the fact one driver was 71 is irrelevant, I'm 78 and had my Infiniti G35 at 85mph passing some slowpoke yesterday!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry, I hate the headline.  It bears no semblance to older folks still racing in a legitimate series with safety checks, drivers meetings, rules and medical clearance.  There are plenty of men and women still running competitively in some series and Herschel McGriff even ran in his 90's.  Street racing cannot be defended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Can't say I have any sympathy for either of these idiots. Want to race? Get on the track. Don't like that? Too bad.

If I remember right up here, they'd lose their license for a year and for the 78 year old dood, probably have a real hard time getting his renewed. Lot to lose because some puddlejumper cut you off.

Someone said "Can't say I have any sympathy for either of these idiots"! This points to the problem with these often vague and misleading posts. One of the guys mentioned was not "racing" but was a supposedly innocent 78 year old who pulled across in front of someone who may have been speeding and likely got T-boned. Arguably, the 78 year old may have been required to yield to oncoming traffic, who knows.  My point is that posting vague stuff aimed at provocation rather than any other purpose are bound to generate assumptions, uninformed views and in this case ageism. Better to delete it now before some of us +70 year olds get really riled up. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I'm not sure of the rationale for posting this on AACA. Neither vehicle is AACA eligible. The fact 2 guys were "racing" is debatable at 71MPH in a likely 65mph zone. Regardless, as someone suggested, the fact one driver was 71 is irrelevant, I'm 78 and had my Infiniti G35 at 85mph passing some slowpoke yesterday!

Like the headline says, "We all grow old, some never grow up".

23 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

The 71 year old was driving a Honda and hit the 78 year old in a Kia Sportage who was trying to cross the road. No mention of what car the Honda was "racing".

https://www.bigcountrynewsconnection.com/news/71-year-olds-alleged-racing-leads-to-serious-collision-north-of-spokane/article_2a2217b8-0007-11ef-b5d3-f3ca9f6b8e57.html

I'm perplexed by this.  How fast (as in exceeding the posted speed limit) was the Honda going? And as being asked, what was he racing against?  From the account I read here, it's the Kia Sportage that broke the law by crossing a busy road when it was unsafe, regardless if someone on the main road was speeding for whatever reason or not.  

Craig

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

IFrom the account I read here, it's the Kia Sportage that broke the law by crossing a busy road when it was unsafe, regardless if someone on the main road was speeding for whatever reason or not.  

Craig

That is the problem. We're all jumping to conclusions based on headlines that may or may not reflect the actual facts. Of course, how is that any different that what goes on daily on the interwebs?

If this story can be believed, the 78 year old in the Kia was NOT racing, though many here assumed he was. I have no idea if he carelessly crossed the road or not, however I've been in a lot of situations where one was similarly forced to cross traffic when there were not clear sightlines. Bottom line is that without more info, we're all just pulling conclusions from an orifice.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2024 at 11:14 PM, f.f.jones said:

NB SR 2 at Chattaroy Rd

A serious two-car collision occurred in Chattaroy, WA, allegedly caused by Harold Whitley, 71, racing another vehicle. The crash left Anthony Sandhofer, 78, seriously injured. Both were transported to Sacred Heart Medical Center. Whitley now faces vehicular assault charges. The incident, which took place at least three days ago, has been a topic of heated discussion among the public.

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

If this story can be believed, the 78 year old in the Kia was NOT racing, though many here assumed he was. I have no idea if he carelessly crossed the road or not, however I've been in a lot of situations where one was similarly forced to cross traffic when there were not clear sightlines. Bottom line is that without more info, we're all just pulling conclusions from an orifice.

I live here...that road is straight and flat for miles.

Look at the skid marks on the pavement. There are many side roads that intersect the highway as it is in a rural area but populated.

There's no excuse for excessive speed, especially racing. If the 78 year old were to die, the 71 year old racer will be up against vehicular manslaughter charges.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I'm perplexed by this.  How fast (as in exceeding the posted speed limit) was the Honda going? And as being asked, what was he racing against?  From the account I read here, it's the Kia Sportage that broke the law by crossing a busy road when it was unsafe, regardless if someone on the main road was speeding for whatever reason or not.  

Craig

Same hold true for when you are driving say 15mph over the speed limit (65MPH) in the fast lane of the FWY (which happens all the time in AZ. and CA.) with all the traffic doing the same speed and someone comes up behind you doing 90mph and you don't pull to the next lane for them to pass you'll get a ticket. 

Also, what happens to all the drag racers that are now street racing because all the strips have been forced to closed.

FYI, this is the first track I raced at age 14, had to get a drag racing license. L.A.P.D. tried to get street racers off the street and prompted this episode. funny thing is the L.A. Harbor Commission close it for a container yard a few months after filming.

https://youtu.be/1zep1XR8ttU?si=_QDCFm-IOM5hqOVL

WSP confirmed the driver of the Honda will face charges of vehicular assault. The driver of both vehicles was transferred to the hospital, one by Life Flight. Their condition remains unknown.

According to WSP, the cause of this crash was excessive speed.

From the local Fox afiliate 

Driver faces charges of vehicular assault after crash in Chattaroy

WSP = Washington State Police

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)
  • Like 1