Studebaker Dictator

You came to the right place for sure. I dont know anything about pre war cars, and less about Studebakers although I have a soft spot in my car dna for them. This car looks pretty solid and from the outside fairly complete. IF I were in the market I would be all over this one for 6500. Even if it didnt run!

• Like 3

Absolutely Yes, it's worth the $6.500. The coupes are the most desirable, sought after 1936 Studebaker model be it a Dictator Six or a President Eight.  It's a 90-hp 218 ci L-head six, 4.55: 1 overall ratio. If it has been fitted with overdrive which became optional for 1937, it would have a more 'comfortable' road speed than its 45-50 mph, though it's no performance car.

Comparable other cars of the time were the Dodge and Oldsmobile sixes, if you know someone who has one to drive to give a feel of six-cylinder cars in that price class.  

^^^ Thanks to Steve Maz ^^^ above —- how did this car ( with the same ( stolen ?!?! )

pictures ?!?! ) go from a $ 26,000 car to $ 6500 ???

*** Buyer Beware *** Buyer Beware ***

Ask questions , get Phone Numbers, get Documentation, etc., etc.

If you are being asked to send money to ( an untraceable email / address, etc.,etc. )

you could be set up for a $ 6500 loss and NO CAR ……

And good luck ever seeing your $ 6500 ever again when it gets traced to a Kenya bank account….

• Like 2

Really nice car! I'd be suspicious of that free delivery option. You send money, they send something that resembles paperwork, then.....

The Dictator is such an opportunity for a teachable moment.  In the late 20's when this model was named, dictator was a pretty  new term, and people thought it was a sort of benevolent strong-man who could get things done and end chaos. 

2 hours ago, myerstowner said:

But before I buy a car like this, I would like to drive one around to see if I like it. Do you guys know of anywhere i could do that? I live in Myerstown, PA

SCAM smell to this one, especially with “free delivery,” too. Welcome to the forum, I’m just down the street in Lititz PA.

1 hour ago, myerstowner said:

Hi TerryB. Would you happen to have any pre50s cars that I could drive around, even just around a parking lot? Thanks

Only in scale model size these days😀.  The braking, steering and handling are quite different in pre-1950s cars as you might expect over later cars. Takes more concentration when on the road with one. Chevy, Ford, and from what I see here, Buick, all have good support in the hobby. Have you ever owned an antique auto?

Not too far away from you in New Ringgold Schuylkill county there is a black 1939 Dodge listed on Facebook Marketplace. Might want to look at the ad. Listed at $16,900.

54E5D277-C73E-4AD9-B4FC-A10191763045.jpeg

This Studebaker reminds me of a Facebook posting I saw a while back. The posting was what looked to be a fully-restored 1963 Impala convertible. The price was something like $17,900. Several postings were seen in surrounding states and cities, all using the same photos. Just for fun I inquired asking if they would take 12 hundred dollars for the car. I received a reply saying the car belonged to his sister and I could contact her if I clicked on a link.

I did not click on the link and instead, chuckled to myself and moved on. It's amazing what some scammers will try. Or did I blow my chance to buy a 50 thousand dollar car for 12 hundred dollars. 😄

Edited by Bruce W (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, myerstowner said:

And it's a kindof odd deal. it's being held by a shipping company, not by the guy himself.

THAT is another typical scam "misdirection" (read that as an outright lie!). There are a dozen other common misdirections used in scams.

The first is the price, while not ridiculously low, is almost too good to be true. Second is will deliver an under $10,000 car anywhere in the country for free! NO WAY NO HOW! The round trip out of pocket cost to deliver it could easily be half the selling price of the car.

We don't know your financial situation. Probably like most of us, never enough money. Regardless, don't expect to actually get anything quite that nice for quite that cheaply.

If you are serious about getting into this wonderful hobby? My advice usually is to try to figure out what sort of car, era, style, etc car you would most want? Find some local antique car club or even local "cars and coffee" group that plays around with the type cars you are interested in, and get to know them. Join the club (if they will allow it without having a car. most do, some don't?), go to some of their gettogethers, talk to the people with cars similar to what you would like.

There are a lot of good collector cars of all sorts all over the country, available at fairly reasonable prices. 

Cost of transporting is nearly the same for a $5000 car as it is for a million dollar car (point, not necessarily careful handling, open versus enclosed, etc.). A major collector buys a million dollar car, it doesn't really matter where in the world it is. An average guy on a tight budget wants buy an under $10,000 car? He really needs to find something within a few hundred miles.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, myerstowner said:

And the guy said he would deliver it anywhere within the states free of charge. Seems a little strange?

SCAM,SCAM,SCAM! Delete your email's DO NOT send any money!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, myerstowner said:

But before I buy a car like this, I would like to drive one around to see if I like it. Do you guys know of anywhere i could do that? I live in Myerstown, PA

You live in the heartland of AACA.  If you are not a paid member you should join and join a Region.  You're not far from the Hershey Region and there may be others closer.  You will find plenty of support and local cars for sale that are not ever advertised.  You will find willing people who will let you test drive their cars to determine what you really want.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, myerstowner said:

Do you know if you can drive the cars at a swap meet? and do you have to be a member of a region to go to a swap meet? Thanks

A swap meet is a place to buy and sell cars and parts for them.  If you are interested in buying a car at a swap meet you might be able to drive it there.  Are you able to drive a standard transmission car and possibly use a double clutch operation to change gears?  Most owners are particular about who they let drive their car so unless you can produce some real $$ it could be difficult.

• Like 1

If you join a car club like AACA and a AACA region you will then meet people who own the era of car you want to get " the feel of" and after they get to know you may take you for a ride. Eventually may even let you drive their car. Think about it if you went modern to a car show and someone walked up and said can I drive your modern car you didn't know would you  let them? A little realism is needed here. I can understand your desire but you also have to appreciate why an owner wants to be selective about who drives his car.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Think about it if you went modern to a car show and someone walked up and said can I drive your modern car you didn't know would you  let them?

ESPECIALLY a vintage collector car!  I'd let any number of people drive my modern iron that I wouldn't let touch my collector cars.  Ask for a RIDE first.  Ask to drive only later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, myerstowner said:

Yes thats certainly understandable. All the cars at a swap meet are probably restored, right?

Not at all. Everything from total basket cases to show winners  and everything in between.

• Like 3

If you are new to the hobby def start going to a couple of shows and look for cars that spark your interest. Talk to the owners. Keep a good attitude and dont expect too much. If you are sincere in showing an interest in a particular I would think the owner may let you at least sit in it. Driving may be a whole different story though.

We all understand and appreciate your enthusiasm but stay calm and DO NOT BE DEMANDING , ask questions like : does the car have cable ( mechanical ) brakes or Hydraulic brakes, 6 volt or 12 volt system etc.

• Like 2

Please don't take this the wrong way.  It sounds like you are new to the antique car world and very keen to join in.  We welcome you and hope that you stick around.  The best money that you can spend is to join one of your nearby regions and absorb as much information as you can.  Most old car people are very friendly and you'll quickly find what fits your needs and abilities.  The looks of the cars are one thing but at the very least you'll need enough mechanical ability to describe any issue to a mechanic, though hopefully you have enough skill and knowledge to tackle issues on your own because every old car will have issues at some point.  Don't be scared off, everything is a learning experience and the people on here are always more than happy to offer advice and cheer you on.   Take your time and you will find the right car.  

• Like 4