Studebaker Dictator

Just want to add a little bit here. With all the comments about scammers (including my comments!), one can get a dire view of what is out there. Frankly, all that is important. We in this hobby a long time have seen a great deal of change in this world, and the amount of dishonesty in the world and the hobby today.

There still are legitimate good deals out there. We sometimes see them and discuss them in the "Not Mine" area of this forum's cars for sale section. The Studebaker shared by the OP (original poster) in this thread is not crazy cheap, although somewhat below what we might expect to see the car for sale for. Frankly, it could happen?

Asking prices on collector cars have been going crazy high for the past decade or two. Some collector cars, the high end more desirable cars, have actually gone up in value and selling prices that much. However, MOST collector cars, especially prewar collector cars, have not gone up significantly over the past two decades. Many cars that went through fad-driven rollercoaster values in past years have actually lost significant amounts of value. This may continue, it may not.

Asking prices are not a true indicator of a car's value. And collector cars are not like most other valuables. Their market is very specialized, with hundreds of nuances affecting the value of any given collector car! They do not sell in high enough numbers of multiple "comparable" cars. The "value of value guides" is often discussed on forums like this. I usually avoid those discussions as they tend to become personal. If I do comment on them, I nearly always express my opinion that value guides and MOST (not all) appraisers are basically useless. Most appraisers have business degrees, but do not understand the complexities of the collector car markets. Value guides,  there simply are not enough true comparable sales to base an evaluation, coupled with complexities of location and regional interests.

All that leads to again advising to join the national club that best represents your interest (the AACA is one of the best overall!), and a local/regional club that also reflects your area of interest (again the AACA is one of the best overall, although personally I prefer the HCCA) (sorry, just being honest?). Get involved in the local club. Go to their meetings and activities, get to know them, and get them to know you. A lot of the best deals in collector cars are sold locally, from one local hobbyist trying to thin the herd or moving on to something new to him, to another hobbyist wanting something new to him to work with. Also, most collector cars are not the top tier most desirable model. Most hobbyists know this, and know where their car stands in that. Many hobbyists that know what their car is and what it isn't are likely to price their car more reasonably than are the flippers and family members wanting to maximize their inheritance based on all the bologna they have seen in the media.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Gettysburg region would welcome you, but Hershey region is probably closer to you.  

In general, you do not have to be a member of the AACA or any region to buy a car at a show.  Some larger AACA events require you to be a member if you want to sell or vend--Hershey is the largest annual show  and it requires AACA membership to sell or vend. --if you can wait until October, you should plan to attend.

You are also close to Carlisle, PA.  Carlisle Productions has been hosting several events at the Carlisle Fairgrounds for 40+ years.  No membership requirements--just show up and pay the car coral fee. They have events from April through October, a few general interest events like Spring and Fall Carlisle, but also some make-specific events, Fords at Carlisle, 'Vettes at Carlisle, MOPAR and others

Also, in general, you will see cars in almost every imaginable state for sale at these events.  Do your research.  Make sure the seller has Title, or clearly states that he does not. Shiny paint can hide inches of Bondo over rust.   Dull primer can also hide much.

"Dictator" was popular until a couple of real dictators made that an unpopular title.

• Like 2

If I thought that was a serious ad and the car is as good as it looks in the photos, I would make the drive to check it out in person.  and the paperwork better be spot on. 

• Like 1

Take a day and drive over to the Classic Auto Mall in Morgantown. They have at least one of just about everything out there in the old car world. From teens stuff to modern muscle. You can get a close up look at anything, talk to a salesman and he may even let you sit in a few? Unless youre laying down the coin I doubt they will let you drive anything though.  Its a nice drive through the country and you can stop at the largest buffet in the world on your way home! LOL.

:I have no interest in either party, just a comment. 

• Like 1

I bought my 40 Chevy via Classic Auto Mall. Agree with TAKerry it is a good place to look at a wide variety of old cars in all ranges of conditions. Their website description of the cars is also very thorough. I was allowed to test drive the cars I was interested in. No money was required to get a test drive, just an interest in the car was all that was needed. I was very satisfied with their selection and service 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, myerstowner said:

But where did you find this ad that's scam? That guy had sold it, I think.

This is common unfortunately. A real car for sale like the Studebaker was sold but the pictures are still available on line. The scam artist reposted them on the internet using the same photos as the one that legitimately sold.  The scammer then tries to sell it at an unrealistic low price and makes up a story on how to contact him.  Sadly it’s just another way of getting people to send them money under false pretenses.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 4