Hershey 1990 MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!

carbking

Finally found the video my Dad took at Hershey in 1990. My Son has digitized the video.

I don't have room on my website for it (about 600 MB).

If someone has room (possibly this forum) for this video and will post it for all to see, I would sent it on a thumb drive.

This is a Hershey where the backhoes and 4-wheel tractors were required to extract the motorhomes and the pickups with trailers from the field.

Jon

• Like 2

I think that's the year we got stuck in the mud in the green field with a Ford Econoline van pulling an 18' box trailer. At the end of the meet, I asked a guy on a 4 wheel drive tractor how much to tow the truck and trailer to the road. His reply was, "Herco will not allow me to charge you a penny to tow you out, but you can touch me all you want".

Frank

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, carbking said:

In the FWIW category, I STILL have Hershey mud from 1990 on one of my swap meet tables!

Jon

Put it on eBay... someone will buy it ;) 

The videos sound interesting. Thank you in advance for your willingness to share it, Jon.

Dave

• Like 1

Funny, I remember waiting for a tractor in the Blue Field the year it rained so much, but great spots as a LOT of people entered from town side.

Remember driving  my father-in-laws Winnebago out of the far side of White Field, sliding every whichaway!

Then  my young son LOVED jumping in the mud puddles.

Yes, easier on us now, but a part of the character of our beloved Hershey which is no more…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wasnt there for the great mud debacle, but I do remember maybe 10 years ago there was a deluge, parking lots became lakes. I think they even opened up a paved lot to get parking away from the fields across the street. Def wet that day. The local creeks were all flooded over. I live a little over an hr south and it was just a drizzle and I figured what the heck. Boy was I wrong!

We were there.  Finally got towed out Sunday morning. I remember Herco brought in something like 60 ton of gravel to make the main road thru the Green field passable. Another year it rained felines and canines most of the week.  We had a client's freshly restored '32 Packard Coupe Roadster in our trailer in the Green Field.  Our client insisted that the Packard had to be on the show field regardless.  I drove that '32 Packard with wheels spinning and sliding maybe 300 yards thru the mud to the main road. Had two employees running alongside the car and pushing where necessary.  It was raining hard, 25 ft high mud rooster tails behind the Packard.  The car was covered in that famous Hershey mud but it was raining so hard that the car was almost clean by the time I made it to the show field. By 11 0'clock the rain stopped and the sun came out.  We won the First Junior Award.

• Like 5

I think it was the 1st year of the Yellow field and they were actually towing motor homes and trucks into the field. There was one huge bus conversion being towed in and it sunk up to the wheel centers leaving huge furrows. They filled up with water immediately.. Glad those days are long gone.

brasscarguy

On 7/30/2023 at 10:14 AM, carbking said:

Finally found the video my Dad took at Hershey in 1990. My Son has digitized the video.

I don't have room on my website for it (about 600 MB).

If someone has room (possibly this forum) for this video and will post it for all to see, I would sent it on a thumb drive.

This is a Hershey where the backhoes and 4-wheel tractors were required to extract the motorhomes and the pickups with trailers from the field.

Jon

Just put it on Youtube and give us a link.  

This year will be our 55th HERSHEY in a row, so I have seen it all. The fields were a lot easier on your feet as opposed to all blacktop. I can remember walking into our hotel with our shoes off because we took them off before we got into our car because they were caked with mud. The A.A.C.A. should have never tried to use the yellow field. If you Google Map the HERSHEY area, you can actually see a small stream running thru the yellow field. If you walk the field now you can feel how soft it is in many spots. 

• Like 1

We were there, but high and dry in the Chocolate Field -

same spaces (CG-32,33,34) since Chocolate was created in 1984

almost under lamp post 58-

We did a 6-wheel mud drift, pulling the 2-wheel trailer with the Suburban to get through the mud to the exit

• 2 weeks later...

Brings back memories. 1976 was worse by far though. As bad as those years were though, the memories are forever and give us so much to talk about. See you in October - on the blacktop.

Terry

HA! I'm actually featured in this video. The blue tent which was collapsed at the beginning video was mine. And later when the rain restarted, you can see me in that same booth...the one with the white outboard motor at the front of the booth. That much of this video is all I have time to watch right now; i'll enjoy it all the way through tonight. But as I recall, it got worse and worse and worse, as the day progressed. 

Thanks SO MUCH to Jon for posting this! 

Edited by lump (see edit history)

2 hours ago, lump said:

HA! I'm actually featured in this video. The blue tent which was collapsed at the beginning video was mine. And later when the rain restarted, you can see me in that same booth...the one with the white outboard motor at the front of the booth. That much of this video is all I have time to watch right now; i'll enjoy it all the way through tonight. But as I recall, it got worse and worse and worse, as the day progressed. 

Thanks SO MUCH to Jon for posting this! 

I was hoping you would see it. You had asked about the video in 1990, and in 33 years, lost your contact information. Sorry it took so long to get it digitized.

Jon

• Like 1

Mike, you're correct, part of the video was the Blue Field. On the corner is now a Turkey Hill Mini Mart and the houses are still there all along Rt. 743 in the backround. It was all taken over by Hershey Foods and is now part of the Hershey Amusement Park.

Ironically, just earlier today I spoke over the phone with my best friend* (who lives in Europe) about this particular Hershey "mudmeet" and it having been the last time either of us attended Carlisle or Hershey.

Heck, we drove up from California in my at the time newly acquired 1986 F250HD 4x4 Supercab w/carburetted 460" (= 8-9 MPG !) with great hopes of returning carrying a full motherload of parts, but due to the weather, ended coming back pretty much empty. 😒

* Jon, he's the one needing/wanting that 2532S you found. 👍

I'll call you about it tomorrow or Tuesday. 

On 8/20/2023 at 5:35 AM, Littlestown Mike said:

Can someone provide a location?  I think ( but am not positive)  most of it was shot on the old Blue field near the corner of Hershey Park Drive where the Convenience store now sits and the "new" roller coasters and water rides ( how appropriate is that?)

Blue Field, "P" row. Packard Industries (Kantors) were set up next to us.

Jon

I probably could have pulled out my old programs and looked that up, but it is good to know that my memory is still somewhat reliable.  I remember seeing one guy carrying a fender and he came to a small downhill slope that was really slick and treacherous.  He sat inside the fender and slid down the hill--maybe it was a hood and not a fender---my memory isn't THAT reliable.

Those were great years---in fact, all years have been good at Hershey.

I am one of the silent many who come to Hershey every year.  I camp offsite ( used to use the Derry American Legion before that was developed this year).  I made some friends at the campsite, but just walked the fields and looked for stuff I needed and generally just enjoyed the ambiance.  Early in the cell phone era, I was surprised to hear excioed conversations in a langauge I didn't know--some one had travel a great distance and found something rare and was sharing that news with someone "back home".  I also remember cool frosty mornings with the sunlight reflecting off the hundreds of chrome door handles and window cranks that were wired to a chicken wire display.  I never needed handles so u never talked with that vendor, but I always enjoyed his display.  One final memory from the mud years that continues to the present is the aroma of mounds of onions being cooked up for cheese steaks later in the day.

Michael