Butterscotch anyone? - 1936 Packard 120 Convertible Victoria

I like it…. But if you showed me a paint chip of that color and said that was the plan for your packard, I would cringe and suggest you sell the project before paint. Looks like that cars owner has more vision than I do. 

• Like 1

That's not just any production 1937 Packard 120 convertible, it's the one-off convertible victoria.  The late actor Edward Hermann had it restored and showed it at the 1999 Packard Centennial at Warren, Ohio.   Of hand, I don't recall if the body was built by Dietrich (Murray) or LeBaron (Briggs).  It looks the same as it did at the Centennial.

• Like 3

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Butterscotch anyone? - 1937 Packard 120 Convertible Victoria
1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

That's not just any production 1937 Packard 120 convertible, it's the one-off convertible victoria.  The late actor Edward Hermann had it restored and showed it at the 1999 Packard Centennial at Warren, Ohio.   Of hand, I don't recall if the body was built by Dietrich (Murray) or LeBaron (Briggs).  It looks the same as it did at the Centennial.

Steve,  I believe it was Lebaron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to be a nit picker. That Packard is actually a 1936 120 B. It may not have been delivered until 37 while the body was being built. However its still a 1936 120 chassis and body base.

The tell tales are the one year only bumper guards and dash details. Along with some other items as well.

Having owned one for a few decades you get to know the differences between the years.

The '37 model made a major change in the dashboard layout as well as the grille, hood side, bumper guards, wheels, hubcaps and a few other items.

Drive Safe

Jeff

• Like 2

On 7/23/2023 at 12:46 PM, nsbrassnut said:

Just to be a nit picker. That Packard is actually a 1936 120 B. It may not have been delivered until 37 while the body was being built. However its still a 1936 120 chassis and body base.

The tell tales are the one year only bumper guards and dash details. Along with some other items as well.

Having owned one for a few decades you get to know the differences between the years.

The '37 model made a major change in the dashboard layout as well as the grille, hood side, bumper guards, wheels, hubcaps and a few other items.

Drive Safe

Jeff

And I suspect the owner knows it's a 1936 as well, since the license plate says 1936. 

Title to thread has been edited.

• West Peterson changed the title to Butterscotch anyone? - 1936 Packard 120 Convertible Victoria

I see it had Granny Smith green wheels back in '89! For me, the caramel/butterscotch/adobe/clay is at best OK. These large classics usually look best in classic colors as we expect to see them, black, dark blue, certain maroons, and so on. But as we often say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder/owner.

The butterscotch is a true Art Deco color as is the style of the car, marking the end of an era. I would say some deep thought went into the choice. And it may have taken some urging.

Forty years ago I changed the color of my '64 Buick Riviera from its original Code S bronze to maroon. I have been watching reruns of The Rockford Files for three months trying to convince myself to paint it bronze again.

On 7/23/2023 at 7:42 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

What do forum-goers think:  Is the paint too glossy?

Is this the case of using current paint materials that

don't give a true historic appearance?

Having seen many original cars in that color and shades of brown very close to it, the current finish definitely has far more gloss from when it left the factory.  In my eyes, it does not detract from it, as an original owner probably wished it was like that when new when cars had to be waxed after washing regularly!!

Craig

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

an original owner probably wished it was like that when new

Always my thought when the conversation heads that way. I wax my cars in the garage with the door open so I can see the reflection of the leaves on the trees outside.

As a good shine should.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I bought the 36 Packard on February of this year, the correct name for the paint is Permet tan dark, original color for a 36 Packard 120 model, everyone seems to like the color, I’m actually driving a hall of famer at the Pasadena Rose Parade 1/1/24

IMG_6989.jpeg

IMG_6985.jpeg

IMG_6974.jpeg

IMG_6965.jpeg

IMG_6966.jpeg

IMG_6969.jpeg

• Like 16

I have driven in several parades, been a long time though. And never one as well known as the Rose Parade! (Although my picture, riding in a friend's car, is in a Life Magazine Winter 1977!)

Welcome to the forum! I hope you have and enjoy that Packard for many years to come!

• Like 1

I’m blessed to have this car, this car has allowed me to be a part of the higher end car shows, even as I didn’t buy it for that purpose, when I bought it I didn’t know the whole history of the car, I just knew this car had been at pebble beach in 1997, to me that was enough to buy it, since no one I knew had ever had a car shown at Pebble Beach, later I found out the whole history of it, I also have a 1937 Packard 1508 12 cylinder limousine and a 1939 Packard super 8 convertible coupe 

• Like 6

On 7/23/2023 at 6:42 AM, Alex D. said:

I like it!

R.jpg.649ea19fa4de75c62c7998b74d2d4bf7.jpg

If I were the owner of that car, I'd keep a bowl full of these, or one-bite Kraft Caramels, McIntosh Toffee, etc., for the kids at car shows.     It will force the parents to stop and look at that Packard.

Craig

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...