Do you drive your vintage car to the store?

I drive all kinds of cars to all kinds of stores. Rural King, Ace, Wendy's, Advance Auto, NAPA, TSC, gas stations and several local lunch stops. I have never had an issue with folks at any of these places. The only time I seem to run into people who do not respect old cars is at car shows. 

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, tcslr said:

A word of caution: According to the regulations for 'classic' and 'antique' plates - at least in PA - using those registered vehicles for errands, etc., is illegal.  It makes sense. Those type plates require no annual inspection then from a revenue perspective, that is the problem.  

Further, antique insurance MAY have exclusion riders about use, etc. - mine does. shows, tours, club events.

Would it likely happen? likely not.  If it did, the former cost isn't too bad... probably.  If there were an accident, the latter issue may be very costly.   Making one's life absolutely risk-free is not fun and fools errand.  Just understand, that sometimes - most times - you are the windscreen but sometimes, you are the bug.

And yes, I do drive them. 

Well maybe after the PA authorities arrest every drug dealer, killer, rapist, scammer, thief, corrupt politician and jay walker they can crack down on taxpayers driving old cars to the wrong destination. 

I had a very good attorney who owns old cars tell me he is always on the way to a car show. Wherever he is going is going to be a car show. It may be just a one car show. But it is still a car show.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Charlie, for the scenery and quiet roads SE PA is amongst my favorite cruising spots with my old car and motorcycle. Of course its Lanc. and Chester co. 

Too bad the roads & drivers in Berks Co. are not like the rural areas of Lanc Co.

• Like 1

Yes, I drive the Brougham and Seville every chance I get.

No, never been stopped by the police.

Both have antique tags.

When I applied for the Broughams tag back in 2001, I asked the DMV person about the restrictions and was told "no driving to work/school on a daily basis" and I had to provide proof of a regular licensed vehicle.

When I got insurance from a well-known antique car insurer provider, I asked the same question and was told by the agent "can't use it for daily driving (but could drive it to check things out if needed), can't drive it to work/school and had to provide proof of a regular insured vehicle.  Also, there is no limit to the miles I can drive annually.

Tim

Edited by 76 Caddy (see edit history)

23 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I live in a rural MD county, it seems that about a third of all the cars we see have historic plates. Way too much abuse of the system. They are much cheaper and require no emissions inspection. All of the yahoos are going to ruin it for us guys that try to abide a little. 

There was a case a couple of years ago that a car with historic plates was stopped wee hours of the morning. It had 4 or 5 people in it, drugs and the such were found. The reason the trooper stopped the car initially was that 'it was carrying passengers on a highway'.

Definitely abused in MD.  I see "historic" Honda/Toyota/whatever's going to work everyday.   No inspection. No emission check.  Here's your tag, have a great day.  I do wish there was at least minimal inspection required.  Some of these "historic" vehicles should not be on the road and it shows.  Bald tires.  Lights not working.   Lord only knows what the suspension looks like as it goes down the road with the sag on one side.    

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Can you get through the burger king drive through without hitting the curbs? LOL

He cropped the photo to not show all the curb rash on the white walls. 

• Like 2

I keep regular plates on my 1950 F1 so I can drive when and where I want. It is also currently my biggest pickup on the road so it makes a trip to Lowe's once in awhile for a load and alway gathers comments about using it to haul cement blocks or lumber. The fellow that helped me load this time kept asking if he was overloading it and I told him it was  not loaded enough yet to hit the overload springs.

50F1-Loaded 4-20-22-sm.jpeg

• Like 10

On 5/10/2023 at 1:29 PM, tcslr said:

A word of caution: According to the regulations for 'classic' and 'antique' plates - at least in PA - using those registered vehicles for errands, etc., is illegal.  It makes sense. Those type plates require no annual inspection then from a revenue perspective, that is the problem.  

Just a minor correction here:  cars with classic plates in PA still do require annual inspection.  They do not need emissions inspection though.

The cars with an antique plate require neither.  See last page of the current application form.

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Fact Sheets/fs-ant.pdf

I had thought the form also indicated mileage limits, but I see they are no longer here.  Only the “once a week” occasional use limitation is still indicated though.    

So I suppose it is still ok to take one really really long drive, right? ;)

Edited by classic_cruiser (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 12:29 PM, tcslr said:

Further, antique insurance MAY have exclusion riders about use, etc. - mine does. shows, tours, club events.

Would it likely happen? likely not.  If it did, the former cost isn't too bad... probably.  If there were an accident, the latter issue may be very costly.   Making one's life absolutely risk-free is not fun and fools errand.  Just understand, that sometimes - most times - you are the windscreen but sometimes, you are the bug.

And yes, I do drive them. 

In Illinois there are two types of antique plates. Original which has fairly restrictive driving and expanded antique which allows any and all use from April 1 to Nov. 1. And my insurance company does not care when or where I drive it. Obviously they don’t want you to drive it full time and you have to have one car other than the antiques for each driver in the household.  Otherwise I drive where and when I want.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gossp said:

He cropped the photo to not show all the curb rash on the white walls. 

Nope…….just taking it for a road test before it makes its first showing at a meet next month. 

• Like 3

My '56 Chrysler wagon is practically my daily driver from May until October as long as it isn't raining (mostly because I don't like washing it). Stores, restaurants, school, work, whatever, I just use it as a car. It's what the car wants to do!

• Like 6

I drive my cars to lots of local events and stores and the occasional hundred mile trip across town.

I have a couple thousand miles on my 100 point car which included driving it to work - office space in a renovated Durant-Dort factory.

FactoryOne.jpg.1b589afef6bd8bf86237216af67881cc.jpgOr visiting my Dad's gravesite

Gravesite.jpg.144cf7e83e44399907b26f4f91e40aac.jpgSometimes I just take an evening cruise in the country 

CountryCruise.jpg.5136ebd58cc105015fc0ae799d5e6513.jpgI get a charge taking the LaSalle out shopping

LaSalleoutforaspin.jpg.ae71e6cfed6c390d5a0614a10d2f2951.jpg

Or I'll stop at the local fishing hole and try my luck

Parshalberg.jpg.940dcffb2ea16d3dc5e3fb145f735b0e.jpg

No trailer queens in my fleet.

• Like 11

I drive my 1950 Mg TD everywhere in our little city. Our “daily drivers” are also aging…an 18 year old BMW and my wife’s 1981 280zx.  The only issue is that, invariably, no matter where I park, a massive pick up will be parked next to our car when I come out of the store. One evening, the pick up truck that parked next to our Z4 was jacked up so high, I could have driven between the axles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2023 at 5:20 AM, Brass is Best said:

I drive all kinds of cars to all kinds of stores. Rural King, Ace, Wendy's, Advance Auto, NAPA, TSC, gas stations and several local lunch stops. I have never had an issue with folks at any of these places. The only time I seem to run into people who do not respect old cars is at car shows. 

Yes! At a car show sitting behind my car talking to a friend next to me who had just painted is 69 Grand Prix, a woman walks between our cars with dog on leash and a large handbag (the ones with metal knobs on the bottom) whips around doing a 180 and the bottom of the bag goes right across the quarter panel in an arc about 10 inches long, past the paint, past the primer sealer, past the sanding primer, past the epoxy primer and into the metal. She didn't say a word and kept on going until my friend caught up with her.

Don't you just love it when they say "it's just a car".

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A prior poster said it was illegal to us a car on PA antique plates for errands. It’s always worth reading the regulation itself to truly know what you can and can’t do.  From the PA DOT site, “The use of antique, classic and vintage registration plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic, vintage, collectible or historic military vehicle registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and similar uses are defined as no more than one day a week.”

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DavidinCA said:

A prior poster said it was illegal to us a car on PA antique plates for errands. It’s always worth reading the regulation itself to truly know what you can and can’t do.  From the PA DOT site, “The use of antique, classic and vintage registration plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic, vintage, collectible or historic military vehicle registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and similar uses are defined as no more than one day a week.”

It is not illegal if used for occasional transportation and similar used as defined as more than one day a week.      No one is counting.   :) 

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2023 at 11:53 AM, Pfeil said:

Yes! At a car show sitting behind my car talking to a friend next to me who had just painted is 69 Grand Prix, a woman walks between our cars with dog on leash and a large handbag (the ones with metal knobs on the bottom) whips around doing a 180 and the bottom of the bag goes right across the quarter panel in an arc about 10 inches long, past the paint, past the primer sealer, past the sanding primer, past the epoxy primer and into the metal. She didn't say a word and kept on going until my friend caught up with her.

Don't you just love it when they say "it's just a car".

Ouch! I feel your pain.

Many years ago, I had a 1936 Ford Deluxe 5-Window Coupe at a show. I happened to look over and a woman was sitting in my rumble seat. I calmly walked over and asked her if I could help her. She announced she wanted to buy this car. I said that's great and told her my asking price. She got a look of panic on her face and said this car shouldn't cost over $10,000 dollars. To which I replied get out of the rumble seat without hurting my car. I made her take off her high heels to get out. The good lord only knows how she got in with them on and didn't ruin my seat.

Some people have no respect for other people or their possessions. 

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Stude Light said:

I drive my cars to lots of local events and stores and the occasional hundred mile trip across town.

I have a couple thousand miles on my 100 point car which included driving it to work - office space in a renovated Durant-Dort factory.

FactoryOne.jpg.1b589afef6bd8bf86237216af67881cc.jpg

No trailer queens in my fleet.

Love the Studebaker since I first saw it in Auburn. Sure looked like a trailer queen at the time. Or... was that someone else's? Great looking car.

1 hour ago, Brass is Best said:

Ouch! I feel your pain.

Many years ago, I had a 1936 Ford Deluxe 5-Window Coupe at a show. I happened to look over and a woman was sitting in my rumble seat. I calmly walked over and asked her if I could help her. She announced she wanted to buy this car. I said that's great and told her my asking price. She got a look of panic on her face and said this car should cost over $10,000 dollars. To which I replied get out of the rumble seat without hurting my car. I made her take off her high heels to get out. The good lord only knows how she got in with them on and didn't ruin my seat.

Some people have no respect for other people or their possessions. 

It was more like my buddy's pain, but I know what you mean. 

Some time ago I went to a local cruise night with two friends. Bill and Wynn were father and son and they had two matching black 56 T-Birds. I had already eaten, but Bill and Wynn hadn't so they went in the burger place while I walked around. When I got back to the T-Birds there was a girl sitting on the deck behind the seat (you know, black and white seats) with her shoes on the seat with her boyfriend or something taking pictures. Just then Bill and Wynn showed up. I had never seen Bill so mad, I thought he was going to explode when he ejected her.

As you said and so true, " Some people have no respect for other people or their possessions."    

I have been fortunate to not have anyone try any shenanigans at cruises or shows. I cant imagine the gull it takes to do such. I was talking to a guy that had the hood ornament swiped off of his early mg and thought that was brazen! 

I will add, I was at a show next to a little league field. After one of the games was over there was a mom with a couple of very young boys walking around the cars. I figured on heading them off at the pass so I opened the car doors and told them to have a seat inside. To say I made their day was an understatement.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 4:41 AM, Littlestown Mike said:

I am convinced you could leave a Model T with the keys in it at nearly any shopping center in the USA, and be certain that it would still be there when you returned.The car that put the world on wheels is a mystery to almost anyone driving today.

Not the car I would worry about, it's someone swiping the key! lol Been driving my 20 Dodge the last couple of day getting ready for a parade tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Love the Studebaker since I first saw it in Auburn. Sure looked like a trailer queen at the time. Or... was that someone else's? Great looking car.

Thank you!

I took it to Auburn in 2018. I just spend some extra timing cleaning it up before a show like that. A couple of times I took it on the Donald Gilmore Classic Tour (about 100 miles) in the rain. On the last one, I missed a turn and ended up a few miles down a dirt road in the rain. That takes some time to put it back in show ready condition.....especially being black. I was going to take it to Iowa this year to go for my Senior Grand National but it doesn't look like I can make it.

No windshield wipers either

IMG_0230.JPG.f9a0c94888d5988b5abb0771237f9589.JPGGasStation.jpg.c8d725cd33cc88ba682f74049c8d9f0f.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Stude Light said:

Thank you!

I took it to Auburn in 2018. I just spend some extra timing cleaning it up before a show like that. A couple of times I took it on the Donald Gilmore Classic Tour (about 100 miles) in the rain. On the last one, I missed a turn and ended up a few miles down a dirt road in the rain. That takes some time to put it back in show ready condition.....especially being black. I was going to take it to Iowa this year to go for my Senior Grand National but it doesn't look like I can make it.

No windshield wipers either

IMG_0230.JPG.f9a0c94888d5988b5abb0771237f9589.JPGGasStation.jpg.c8d725cd33cc88ba682f74049c8d9f0f.jpg

The Gilmore prewar show is next Saturday. I will be there with my 39 Packard. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, zdillinger said:

The Gilmore prewar show is next Saturday. I will be there with my 39 Packard. 

Either the 39 LaSalle or the 21 Oldsmobile Touring for me this year. All depends if I fix an engine oil leak issue on the Olds and the weather.

• Like 1

In 2003 we were in Bar Harbor Maine working on the plans for a 2004 VMCCA tour.  We had our Model A and went for an evening cruise thru town.  As we came down the hill on Main Street towards the harbor we noticed a cruise ship was in port.  We stopped in traffic and suddenly this elderly lady was in our rumble seat like she flew in!  She said " c'mon, take me for a ride. I haven't been in a rumble for a long time".  So her friends waved goodbye and off we went around town as she regaled us with stories of her fun ( with winks) in a rumble seat as a young lady.  Got back to her friends, she thanked us and jumped out and joined her friends.  Never got her name or anything but she was from the cruise ship.  My wife and I looked at each other started laughing like crazy and wondered what had just happened!!  But what a great old car touring memory!

• Like 5

On 5/10/2023 at 8:46 AM, brasscarguy said:

I drive my '41 Cadillac convertible sedan as often as weather permits. Since I have owned the car the top has never been up. 

I drive my '29 Cadillac dual cowl phaeton again as weather permits, same story top has not been up since I have owned it.

My '30 model a touring is out and about again as weather permits. We enjoy taking it to an old fashion drive in for dinner. We get lots of comments.

My 40 year old Ferrari cabiolet gets used in warm weather often. My significant other drives the Ferrari quite often. She loves to go shopping at Walmart with it, gets lots of comments. She often tells those that ask, she shops at Walmart so she can afford to own a Ferrari. And yes, the top is always down.

These cars are not garage queens. They are designed to be taken out and exercised. Why have them if you don't use them. My biggest regret is I can only drive one at a time. I also have a Camaro lt1 in 2021. Those were amazing days.

brasscarguy

My first automobile was a 1962. I wouldn't buy one if you don't have a garage to work on it, if you don't have a lot of money to throw at it, and if you're not okay with it breaking down for no apparent reason at any time. Classic cars are a terrific way to start into mechanical because they have little to no electronics, but things may and will go wrong. For years, my headlights would go out at random, until I realised the ground was shaky. 

I was pulled over one day because I was shooting flames out of my tail pipe (turns out I was running a bit rich), and for some reason my speedometer has never worked, so I've just learned to always know what speed I'm travelling. It's a nice feeling to rebuild something from ruins, but depending on the state, it takes a lot of time and money. And, to be honest, nothing beats having everyone stare at you because they've never seen what you're driving in person before.

Edited by RainGun (see edit history)

My 1917 White has a regular Florida license plate on it. It’s insured with Geico. It’s only covered for liability with them. All the other coverage is written by a private company.

71ECE0C4-66C9-4EC7-ABA5-6CD2AF10388F.jpeg

• Like 7

So far this week we have driven our 1925 Buick to church, to brunch, grocery store, to drop off our KIA for service work, to a car show meeting, yesterday to vote, visit to an aquaintance with a 1929 Model A project then to have my wife pick up the KIA. All only by Tuesday night. 

DSC00743.JPG.0bb2efaf4904ef7ca02687cb9e81b466.JPG Hopefully we will drive it to Gettysburg Friday for the AACA Spring meet.

• Like 8