1938 Buick Special $12K

Great to see that it's currently licensed and on the road. More pics in ad...

https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/d/cedar-ridge-1938-buick-special-gray/7614442101.html

Selling for a client $12,000. Road Ready. Running.
8 cylinder. 1938 Buick Special.
Pristine condition inside and out. Completely stock.  email: ca4260e318db3ffabde32593da227b20@sale.craigslist.org

100a0a_7Ub0VLhbtC4_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00K0K_9SVDbIugQbn_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00s0s_5gv4KKK1dR3_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00h0h_5XxusrVzeEd_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Sharp.

Woodgraining is intact, upholstery looks either really good original or authentic redone, brightwork looks pretty good. Too bad there aren't any engine bay shots.

I think the wheels should be some sort of blue with this body color, but at the asking price, you can get them powder coated and pinstriped with a new set of tires and still be ahead. 

Shouldn't last long!

Ive wanted a big Buick for a long time now and keep getting tempted by cars like this. Buy Im not sure I want a Special after hearing everyone say their too hard to drive at hiway speeds without changing the gears. I keep holding out for a Century or Road Master  or a Limited if Im really dreaming. Is that a mistake? I dont know.

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

I think the Dante' Red wheels were an option with any color body.  Maybe @38Buick 80C or @MCHinson will chime-in...

Just to refresh my fading memory, I checked the BCA judging manual, and while Dante Red was optional for lots of colors, this looks like Homer Gray, and the only wheel color available was Stanhope Blue. Beige and Green cars weren't available with Dante Red wheels, either.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, EmTee said:

I think the Dante' Red wheels were an option with any color body.  Maybe @38Buick 80C or @MCHinson will chime-in...

6 hours ago, suchan said:

Just to refresh my fading memory, I checked the BCA judging manual, and while Dante Red was optional for lots of colors, this looks like Homer Gray, and the only wheel color available was Stanhope Blue. Beige and Green cars weren't available with Dante Red wheels, either.

@suchan is correct

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, suchan said:

Thanks for clearing that up.  As you said, changing the wheel color on this car would be an easy job.  Judging from the yellowed whitewalls, it is likely that the car will need a new set of tires anyway.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

From the photos in the ad, it looks like this car is probably priced about right. I don't think it is likely to be the smoking hot deal that some seem to think it is.  It looks like a very old restoration to me. The paint appears dull in the photos. I always worry when a car for sale is offered with photos taken in the garage. I always wonder why the seller did not even want to drive it outside to take photos. With no engine photos, I assume the engine compartment is probably not much to look at. I also note the driver's window garnish moulding appears to have decades of wear from the driver resting his arm on it. That detail makes me wonder what else is worn and has not had any attention in years. While I certainly could be wrong, the ad appears to be sending up a few warning flags to me. 

• Like 1