Obscure Marques - Classic & Sportscar's list - how many have seen at least one example

8E45E

I did a quick look through, and decided there were three I had not heard of. Then as I went back through a bit slower, the De Schaum caught my eye, and I looked closer. The writeup says it was marketed as the "Seven Little Buffalos". And THAT I have heard of! It was mentioned in one of Floyd Clymer's books! I read that about fifty years ago.

That leaves the Glasspar and the Birmingham I don't know for sure if I ever read about them or not. I "think" I did see a Glasspar once, but there were so many low production sports cars and kits in the 1950s and 1960s, and I have read short articles or actually seen a dozen or two of them over the years. Since I have never been seriously interested in such cars, I don't pay them much attention, and do not remember half their names.

Not much of a challenge. There was a deliberate attempt to list a few that probably don’t even exist. I have actually driven two of the cars in the photos. One of them in the last month. There are many examples of only a single surviving car from a small to medium automotive marques. Rare doesn’t mean valuable or historically important. The Glasspar was unimpressive………..I would prefer a Myers Manx dune buggy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Not much of a challenge. There was a deliberate attempt to list a few that probably don’t even exist. I have actually driven two of the cars in the photos. One of them in the last month. There are many examples of only a single surviving car from a small to medium automotive marques. Rare doesn’t mean valuable or historically important. The Glasspar was unimpressive………..I would prefer a Myers Manx dune buggy. 

Great comment,

and by the way, 

several years back - (multiple decades?)

During a West Coast business trip I had the pleasure of meeting Bruce Meyers and drove one of his original Meyers Manx-

It was truly the fun I had expected.

Never got to drive the Davis when my friend David had his ...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Rare doesn’t mean valuable or historically important.

I don't see the word 'rare' being used in the text to describe any of those 40 cars in that slideshow. but some of them ARE interesting, and worth a look.  

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

I collect postage stamps that depict cars - boy are there some obscurities that show up there!

Mustad, Marcus, Abadal, Bjering, Bucciali, Csonka, Durkopp, Ikco, Leutner, Nazzaro, Pegaso, Phanomobile, are just some that come to mind

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 9:49 AM, Jim Skelly said:

I didn't recognize 9 of the 40 and have seen slightly over half of the cars listed.  Thanks for posting this, Craig!

Ditto.  Typically I would call one of these lists idiotic.   However, the fact that I didn't recognize almost 25% makes we wonder if the list is cool or made up.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Ditto.  Typically I would call one of these lists idiotic.   However, the fact that I didn't recognize almost 25% makes we wonder if the list is cool or made up.

I considered the source of this list.  Being a reader of Classic & Sportcar for nearly 4 decades convinces me they would have done their research and would be in the know of which marques are obscure.  Remember, to 'wow' readers and keep their numbers up, them, and all the other vintage vehicle publications continuously search for these almost unknown makes of cars to feature in their magazines.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've heard of Apperson, Citicar, Columbia, Elcar, Flanders, Glasspar, Lozier, O-We-Go, Pope, Rickenbacker, Roosevelt, Ruxton, Scripps-Booth and Wills Saint Claire and I've photodocumented Brush, Cartercar, Chandler, Detroit Electric, Durant, Jeffrey, McIntyre, Oakland and Zimmer.  I've also photodocumented an E-M-F which the Flanders went into.

I've never heard of Welch but I would really like to see one of those. That name has significant meaning to my family. 

Welch was built from about 1904 - 1911. It was bought by GM in 1910 and was more or less absorbed into the GM organisation with cars only built for a year or two after the buy out. 

Only a very small number of Welch's have survived. One in particular was owned by noted author and early participant in the old car hobby Ralph Stein. 

The car is featured in one of his well known books about vintage cars.

Yet another one of those higher end  cars that for one reason or another were almost scrapped to extinction 80 to 100 years ago.

Seven of the forty of which I was previously unfamiliar.  One of the forty (Detroit Electric) that I have actually owned!

14 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Only a very small number of Welch's have survived. One in particular was owned by noted author and early participant in the old car hobby Ralph Stein

The car is featured in one of his well known books about vintage cars.

This same car is now in West Vancouver, Canada and is undergoing a full restoration.

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Obscure Marques - Classic & Sportscar's list - how many have seen at least one example
12 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Is it just here for a restoration or has someone local bought it ?

It was purchased at auction maybe 3 years ago by a fellow from West Van. It's in a restoration shop locally.

• Like 1