Shriners Cars

STEVE POLLARD

Bound to be some Shriner's on here with a ton more info but in the meantime check this out, looks like the early cars were made by Rupp.  Interesting info about the lawsuit - I'm pretty sure that any money would have gone to the hospitals.

https://bestride.com/news/entertainment/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-shriner-cars

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My late father-in law was a Shriner at Medinah temple in Chicago in the 60s thru 90s. In that period Shrine membership and monetary support was very high and there were many "Units" within each of the larger temples, specifically set up to march and perform in parades. Medinah had small cars like the op showed although not Cutlasses, also minibikes. Other marching units included Clowns, Veterans, the Oriental Band, and the Black Horse Troop which was spectacular. My father in law was in the Chanters which was a very large men's chorus and they had a gigantic tiered float towed by a truck. Attrition was very high in these groups after the 90s, not sure what they are like today.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the Shriners still have a large parade during new years day in Philly. I have never been but it dominates the local tv stations. Cant say anything about the cars specifically but I am sure there is a group of them. Dad had a good friend that was one, I cannot remember what his parade group did though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

I seen this posted on FB today.... does the Shriners still do this?

image.png.9c19a1f31aaac7c5b4894cc0350e5e1f.png

I just realized where I'd seen that picture before.😳

Cover art for the Dead Kennedys "Frankenchrist" vinyl album. Controversial in 1985 and still controversial now, especially if it still has its HR Giger poster insert intact.

I sold my copy to a local used vinyl dealer in mid 90s after I had tired of punk. Then the value went up. 🙄

The local Lake County, Il and also some from Chicago Shrine groups often sent several groups from mini cars to clown units, to mini bikes to big full dress Harleys to our little towns Labor Day parades. Sadly the parades have bern canceled for the last few years and I don’t know if it is coming back or not.  

7 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

here are still active tiny Model T groups, VW convertible groups, hillbilly groups, and Jeepster units.

You forgot the Monza GT Jr ( aka Monza SS Chevy Jr) by Rupp! Very popular in Corvair world.👍

I do see they are mentioned in the Best Ride article.;)

The Shriners in Richmond used a 50s Packard (I guess a flower car?) to hold their band for parades.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes, the Shriners still participate in parades, with various types of cars, motorcycles, horses; and marching bands and many more interesting modes of travel.

By the way: every penny that is donated to the Shriners goes to helping people; and one of the biggest endeavors are the many Shriners Hospitals 

Here is a link to just one of the groups. https://money.howstuffworks.com/why-do-shriners-drive-little-cars.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2022 at 2:39 PM, Bills Auto Works said:

Looks like it took a shoehorn & some Vaseline to get the guy in the middle squeezed into that mini car!

Pretty cool to have one though for sure

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

And a crowbar and some axle grease to get him out! :D

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

First I've seen of the Shriners Cutlass unit. There are still active tiny Model T groups, VW convertible groups, hillbilly groups, and Jeepster units.

From the egg crate grill, it looks like a 72 although the real thing doesn't have a hood ornament.

21 hours ago, rocketraider said:

A number of these mini-Cutlii were made in 1972 Hurst/Olds trim.

Shrine here has a 1950 Jeepster they use in parades, along with a bunch of minibikes.

Beat me to it! :lol: 72 H/O was an Indy pace car - maybe the OP pic is an Indiana unit.

Many Shriners used to ride Cushman Eagles in parades The scooters were all festooned with all sorts of accessories and geegaw. Cushman began building Shriner models to sell to the various temples. They had Shriner badging and all sorts of flash, windshields etc. they're pretty sought after by scooter collectors.

• Like 1

The guy in the spaces next to me in the Red Field North sold one this year at Hershey. I also spotted another one in the Red Field on Wednesday driving around, they had early 50's look to them. He was telling us the history to it, and it was another manufacturer, not Cushman that made the one he sold.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Working for Olds Division in the 70's there at times was "Shriner duty".  The Division would provide production cars for the parades and use by the Shriners during their convention.  Problem is they went to places like New Orleans and some of those cars happened to be abandoned all over the place after a night of drinking adult beverages!  Lower level folks like myself were assigned to find the cars! The do wonderful work but they play hard too! :)  

• Like 3

Steve, did you ever have to stop in some of the places that served the Shriners just to ask if the bartender had seen the car? To be polite I’m sure you had to order a libation or two to get accurate information. 
dave s 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1