Lack of food vendors & no chocolate for sale in the chocolate field

FJD2004

• FJD2004 changed the title to Lack of food vendors & no chocolate for sale in the chocolate field
42 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Stopped at Burger King the other day. Indoor area closed, apology sign on door saying closed due to lack of workers........WTF?............Bob

I frequently see this in my neck of the woods (Central KY). The labor force that would normally fill these jobs thinks they are too good for them.  My teenage son’s employers both suffer from this.  The second someone has what they think is a bad day at work, they just quit.  They have friends that are teenagers that have had more jobs than they can count because they think it’s too hard.  I just shake my head at the attitude of young workers (in general, based on what I have seen over the past few years).

It all starts with parenting.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Stopped at Burger King the other day. Indoor area closed, apology sign on door saying closed due to lack of workers........WTF?............Bob

Common here in the Middle Border area of VA and NC too.

That situation has made us reconsider swap meet travel. No need to go if you can't find somewhere to eat.

I can't understand how people are supporting themselves if they won't work. 

Silly me! 🤡🙃🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

Being in the restoration biz we always had quite a few applicants when we advertised for help.  Not now.  We have been advertising for help for several months and cannot even get anyone to apply. We pay well, work a 4 day week and provide some benefits.  Used to be we would be swamped with applicants wanting to work on antique cars. This area used to have a reputation for good work ethics. What happened?

• Like 3

I believe that each generation after WWII had it easier, provided for and many kids always got what they asked for.

I think we’re seeing the fruits of that spoiling now, with kids easily disatisfied and not willing to put up with any inconvenience.  Having easy money from parents or elsewhere doesn’t help, quite the demotivator to work for a living.

I have a daughter who works at a major university in the northeast.  She hired a young girl, great job, good pay, incredible benefits.  

After two weeks the young girl comes to her office, says I quit.  Why? my daughter asks.  Well, the girl explains, this is not my dream job, I’m going to look elsewhere. Really?  How many people have their dream job? 

As to food at Hershey, we pack an insulated bag with a cold pack and sandwich makings.  I like the crabcakes sold, but two can eat all week (lunch) for $14 worth of good bread and cold cuts…

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Being in the restoration biz we always had quite a few applicants when we advertised for help.  Not now.  We have been advertising for help for several months and cannot even get anyone to apply. We pay well, work a 4 day week and provide some benefits.  Used to be we would be swamped with applicants wanting to work on antique cars. This area used to have a reputation for good work ethics. What happened?

1.  The government was paying people to not work during the lockdowns.   I swear there is residual effects still at work.

2.  We have raised an entire generation of kids that have been taught that working with your hands is for dummys.

We have thousands of kids graduating college with degrees in the stupidest things imaginable and zero work ethic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, alsancle said:

1.  The government was paying people to not work during the lockdowns.   I swear there is residual effects still at work.

2.  We have raised an entire generation of kids that have been taught that working with your hands is for dummys.

We have thousands of kids graduating college with degrees in the stupidest things imaginable and zero work ethic.

The honor and respect of slogging through a job working with your hands doesn't exist anymore. 

Interestingly, a good mechanic, plumber, or truck driver very often makes more money, and have much more job satisfaction than most of the people with the alphabet soup letters next to their name. Most of whom accomplish nothing with their life.

Look at 80 percent of todays college graduates.............lazy and living proof you can edjucate an idiot. 

• Like 4

If a kid isn’t taught respect, self reliance and a work ethic is it the kids fault or the parents? I played sports through college but also worked a job weekends, summers anytime I wasn’t in school or sports. I worked in grocery stores, gas stations, a junk yard, construction anything that fit the schedule and paid me. Kids today get participation trophies! Football players run down the field twice and raise their hand to come out of the game! If we did that we would be on the bench for the season. It’s a different world today but some things would be better off the old way. Teach the kids and make them do the school work! 
dave s 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reason aside, food choices are less of a factor once you know the score and can plan on it next year.

In our case it's a different issue, as my wife was diagnosed with Celiac disease a couple years ago.  One has no idea how many foods contain gluten, which she cannot have. She is a trooper though at Hershey and other places where cooking food is it's own advertisement.  We only eat at restaurants with "safe GF offerings", if you have to do this you get it.  Tougher when traveling.   So we did sandwiches, etc. And it worked out fine.  And no, I won't stuff my face with pulled pork, etc. While she eats a plain sandwich...

A positive here for us was the ability to bring our dog, obviously not an option if restaurant outings each night is on the agenda.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 7:13 AM, FJD2004 said:

I was wondering why the gyro, pizza and pit beef stands were no longer in the chocolate field by the stairs? Just a Dunkin Donuts and pretzel vendor.  Also, why were there no stands selling Hershey items this year? Thank you.

There needs to be a show in Buffalo, NY so we can get a Beef on Weck. The bun is what it's all about. Forget shipping it. They are only good for a few hours.

52381455971_7a7beac76a_c.jpg2022-09-24_05-28-48 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

For those that have not had one, this is what a 'real' crab cake looks like. LOL. All Lump meat. I do get a crab cake sandwich from the vendor at Hershey every year and they are good. BUT, they dont compare to a real one.

Problem with help is everywhere. I think we all have an idea why, but no answers. Dave you are spot on with your observation. I have thought for years that one of the major problems is we are too far removed from the great depression. My parents were children at the time and were raised frugally and worked hard for what they had. They raised their kids with values they learned from their parents. I started working alongside my father doing construction when I was 14. He probably would be jailed for that now! A few generations later and it gets watered down. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

52381455971_7a7beac76a_c.jpg2022-09-24_05-28-48 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

For those that have not had one, this is what a 'real' crab cake looks like. LOL. All Lump meat. I do get a crab cake sandwich from the vendor at Hershey every year and they are good. BUT, they dont compare to a real one.

Problem with help is everywhere. I think we all have an idea why, but no answers. Dave you are spot on with your observation. I have thought for years that one of the major problems is we are too far removed from the great depression. My parents were children at the time and were raised frugally and worked hard for what they had. They raised their kids with values they learned from their parents. I started working alongside my father doing construction when I was 14. He probably would be jailed for that now! A few generations later and it gets watered down. 

😍😋👍

My dad had me in a tobacco field by age 8.🙄

~60 years on, I still love to see freshly topped fields, and there is no more delicious smell than bright-leaf tobacco curing under heat. But I don't want anything to do with it ever again!😃

I often said it was a shame the powerplant paid as good as it did, because it would have made it a lot easier to walk away from it. They're currently trying to fill four entry-level Operator jobs, starting salary $58k/yr and up to $100k/yr within 5 years. That's very good money in this area, yet two candidates flat turned it down as not enough money.

Spoiled boys who've never been hungry. 😒

• Like 2

12 hours ago, edinmass said:

The honor and respect of slogging through a job working with your hands doesn't exist anymore. 

Interestingly, a good mechanic, plumber, or truck driver very often makes more money, and have much more job satisfaction than most of the people with the alphabet soup letters next to their name. Most of whom accomplish nothing with their life.

Look at 80 percent of todays college graduates.............lazy and living proof you can edjucate an idiot. 

I must have 2 of the 20%. They both worked hard to get engineering degrees. Both work very hard all day and love to work on their cars.

• Like 1

Us baby boomers are reaping what we sowed with the next generation.

As a group, our children's generation was such that everyone was a winner no matter how poorly they performed, everyone got a trophy and a certificate of excellence and they all went out for ice cream as a reward for "a good performance".

I like greenie, I also had three of the 20% as all three of our offspring worked through college, helped pay the bill, graduated with ZERO loans and have the hustle to do a good job.  Their mother and I are proud of all of them. We must have done something right.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2022 at 9:39 AM, SC38dls said:

ice an

On 10/9/2022 at 3:48 PM, Bhigdog said:

Most of the fast food places here are drive thru only for the same reason.   The Burger King's sign says HIRING $13.50 Hr.  The door says

Diningroom Closed,   No help.   Prices are 50% more than pre-Pandemic and no coupons or Veterans Discounts either.

My neighbor's 17 year old son is workingt at Big Lots for $10 and wating for the new Aldi's to open at $15.   I told him they won't keep anybody

that woudn't hustle.   That is OK with him.