Times are a changing

You guys are all looking at that electronic mess on the firewall, while I'm looking at the top with the seam at the next to last bow, because the trimmer knew absolutely nothing about how to put a top on a touring.

The rest of the car is just silly......

• Like 1

From an estate, so pretty obvious why the builder doesn't want it, but was aparantly being built as a promotional tool for a company building EV chargers. Looks pretty close to being complete, why don't they want it. Not around anymore?

My son in law is firmly in the EV camp.  Converted a couple of cars himself.  Drives a Tesla now.  Thinks I'm a dinosaur.  He's a great guy but we agree on very little when it comes to cars.  

I sent him a link to this car last night, said I may possibly have found a vehicle with some common ground for us. 

He replied with much technical info regarding the electrical system on this Dodge.  Seems it's as common and simple to him as a small block Chevy is to me.

Hmmm?

...after 20-some years, we may be able to start riding together....

Im not entirely opposed to the idea of this car. If it were put together in a professional manner and reliable Im okay with that. Im not a mechanic and the idea of a cool old car that all I need to do is plug in seems like a great idea!

I was at the Reningers model A show a few years ago (may have been their last) and there was a Model A that was an electric conversion. But it was full of car batteries. Did not look very efficient.

The breakaway technology is the new battery pack construction of modern EVs.  The old stack of heavy lead acid style batteries was too much weight to efficiently drag around.  This Dodge is a cool car when you consider how my of its originality is still present.  It would be the neatest “golf cart” on the block!

I hate to admit it Kerry but I have toyed with this idea a few times.  

I've given serious thought to buying a mid to late 70's Corvette, one of the rubber bumper cars, because they're relatively inexpensive and not super collectible yet, and then getting together with my son in law to do this same type of conversion.  Clean and precise work in a very clean and presentable car.   I know the Corvette purists, who's hearts were still beating after the first viewing, would brand me a heretic, with much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments, but at a car show it would be a great draw, an interesting conversation piece and there's a better than even chance it would be the fastest Corvette there.

Considering how long old cars stick around and many are rarely used,  how many battery packs are going to die over the next 20-30 years of ownership?  Where with an IE set up all that might go bad is a starting battery and the gas may go bad,  but you could drain that and use it in something else periodically,  so all it may need is a carb rebuild.  Which seems more green now?  Admit few people would drive this over 1000 miles a year so I see a much larger carbon footprint being an electric than an ICE. 

• Like 1

I don’t think Greg’s project has anything to do with green, it’s like a hot rodder looking at a Model A and saying it would be a lot more fun if it had a V8 in it. Newer EV technology will assist in making it more possible at a lower cost.  Many EVs from the early days of the automobile are brought back to life with some new wiring and a set of batteries to power it.

• Like 2

Glad we are going to have this magical infinite source of batteries for everything in the future.  Cars, Truck, Buses, Equipment, Power Tools of all sizes, grid storage (a huge one few are probably figuring into the equation)  Let me know,  as a simple starting battery for my Chipper,  just a normal mid size car battery was just 170.00.   Was looking at an electric lift,  until I found out  it takes 12 , 6 volt deep cycle batteries as the wife doesn't like running my 80 foot Diesel boom lift which like that we would only use a little each year for painting and general maintenance.  Oh not to mention recreational and commercial boats of all sizes, plus side by sides, 4 wheelers.  We are going to need hundreds of billions of batteries all with a shelf life. 

• Like 1

Good point auburnseeker. 

When I was talking with my son in law last night about this '25 Dodge, the first thing he said was, "If it has a battery pack from a Tesla the battery alone is worth $10K."

Ouch!

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

There is another point that is seldom considered in this massive tread towards electric vehicles....   Where is all this electricity going to come from...?? with millions of people charging their car's batteries..?? Right now our nations power grids are maxed out... and California & Texas (just a few for example) have rolling black outs Now ... Are they going to build a bunch more coal fired power plants..?? or nuclear plants..??   CLEAN electricity is scarce now... and our nation power grid is over loaded as it is.... So Hundreds of thousands more people charging these huge battery banks in there Electric vehicles Doesn't make sense to me...?? How about You...?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, sunnybaba said:

There is another point that is seldom considered in this massive tread towards electric vehicles....   Where is all this electricity going to come from...?? with millions of people charging their car's batteries..?? Right now our nations power grids are maxed out... and California & Texas (just a few for example) have rolling black outs Now ... Are they going to build a bunch more coal fired power plants..?? or nuclear plants..??   CLEAN electricity is scarce now... and our nation power grid is over loaded as it is.... So Hundreds of thousands more people charging these huge battery banks in there Electric vehicles Doesn't make sense to me...?? How about You...?

The answer is in your profile name and in the air....😜

The grid can be built. Were people complaining 100 years ago that the grid can't handle it?

People complaining about the number batteries required, have you considered the number barrels (millions per day/week?) of oil being consumed and burnt into the atmosphere?

• Like 2

I figured if I went electric, I'd just buy a gas generator, plug the car into it and let it run all night. No extra drain on the grid.

Problem solved!

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

I figured if I went electric, I'd just buy a gas generator, plug the car into it and let it run all night. No extra drain on the grid.

Problem solved!

I am assuming this is meant to be humorous.

The grid is under used at night. So  charging at night, without a local gas generator, does not presently pose a problem.

If/when excessive solar power production in the middle of the day occurs, utilities can change their pricing to encourage charging during peak solar hours.

• Like 1

Well now, just to add fuel to the fire (so to speak) I did a little research on these $10,000 Tesla batteries to see what kind of longevity one can expect for that much money.  

Company CEO E. Musk claims the batteries will last from 300,000 to 500,000 miles and/or 21 to 35 years, which makes the initial investment of $10K sound pretty reasonable.

13 hours ago, maok said:

The answer is in your profile name and in the air

Yeah because a local dealership cleared 24 acres of trees to put in a solar farm.  Sounds green to me.  Then panel life at 25 years and battery storage for off hours.  How green is green.  The only green i'm seeing is the flow of cash.

• Like 3

It's tinkering around in a garage that got us the  combustion engine as well as many items we enjoy today.  This transformation to electric for this car is more tinkering that could very well change the future.  Electric is part of our future. And the future is bright. Just turning the light and see 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Yeah because a local dealership cleared 24 acres of trees to put in a solar farm.  Sounds green to me.  Then panel life at 25 years and battery storage for off hours.  How green is green.  The only green i'm seeing is the flow of cash.

Is your politics getting in the way of your logic and sensibility?

11 minutes ago, maok said:

Is your politics getting in the way of your logic and sensibility?

How is that political?  If I cut down 24 acres of trees,  that is no way green whatsoever.  I don't care what you replace it with unless it's to replant the trees you cut down because they were old and sick or dead,  even then you would only selectively cut and replace those,  not everything.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

How is that political?  If I cut down 24 acres of trees,  that is no way green whatsoever.  I don't care what you replace it with unless it's to replant the trees you cut down because they were old and sick or dead,  even then you would only selectively cut and replace those,  not everything.  

Yep, your politics is getting in the way. Those solar panels can be installed on roof tops, deserts, over coal mines, coal powered power plants, oceans, etc. Same applies to wind mills.

Do you know how much water a coal mine or a power plant uses?

I'm in Australia, from google;

NSW and Queensland coal-fired power stations annually consume 158,300 megalitres of water. One megalitre is equivalent to one million litres. A typical 1,000-megawatt coal-fired power station uses enough water in one year to meet the basic water needs of nearly 700,000 people.

Edited by maok (see edit history)

Yup I'm pretty sure the car dealership didn't buy a 23 Acre Coal mine, 23 acres of Ocean, or has anywhere near 23 acres of roof top that it applied them over.  See I think your politics are getting in your way assuming I don't know panels with a 25 year life span can be placed on places other than pristine forest. I know the area I live.  More forest than wasteland, so good chance that 23 acres was or could be forest.  In this area forest will grow right over the parking lot if you let it,  in record time.    Of course in the shade of the panel,  not much of anything grows. 

Our town recently had a big uproar when a solar company wanted to clear the side of the main recreational hill that's all wooded and full of trails to put in a solar farm.  That got shot down real fast.  Nothing to do with politics,  just common sense.  They didn't want to put the panels over any of the other already cleared places approved places or the landfill,  they wanted to strip the wooded hill side and put it there.  

I have a nephew who is an engineer with Tesla. Previously he worked for EV West in San Diego. They do conversions of "classic" cars, I think mostly Porsches and VWs but others as well. He has a Karman Ghia he converted while working there and a 54 Ford F-100 with a Tesla drive train he built as his senior project in school. I've driven the Karman Ghia, it's REALLY fun. I grew up with older VWs and Porsches, and have had a number of both of them. They were fun but if you drove them much, there was quite a bit of maintenance. Currently, the cost of conversion is too steep for me, but I do see the appeal. Kind of like a really good tribute band...they can give you that old feeling, but in an easier way. 

12 hours ago, trimacar said:

I may have missed it, where is the battery pack in the Dodge Brothers that’s advertised?

No info on the actual conversion package. I have no doubt that this price is far below what they have into it, but it still might not be complete! 

I have a message into the seller regarding the battery pack.  Still waiting to hear back. 

If it has the Tesla style pack it's a pretty good conversion.  If it has the old style lead acid batteries it's worth $5,000 at best.