You could buy it, but you don’t.

Question is, what car can you afford to purchase. That you have always liked, or wanted to own. But for what ever reason, you have never bought one. Not asking what car you would like but can’t afford. What car would you like to own, and can afford to buy it. But you never have. A 66 Mustang would be one of mine.

• Like 1

A Morgan. Not cheap, but I could afford one at the cheap end of the range . Say a mid 1960's , Cortina powered 4 seater. About the cheapest Morgan out there all things considered. Hold back is space. I would have to build a new garage to house it. Construction costs are out of this world in my part of North America. The basic $30,000.00 price tag of the car is nothing compared to the cost of building something around here. Cars are cheap { relatively }. Land and structures are through the moon here in Western Canada.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I don't see too much personal risk saying I could afford a $30,000 car. I think pretty much anyone with a job or on Social Security could swing something at that sort of price . Particularly at what are still near historic low interest rates.

It's not like I am keeping $30,000 in cash in a flower pot on the front porch, waiting for the right car to come along.

• Like 4

Perhaps not, but part of this hobby has always involved speculating / fantasizing about about what car you would like to buy. By narrowing it down to cars that a given person can actually afford just makes the exercise more real, and avoids the Ferrari / 300 SL/ Duesenberg revolving door.

29 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Sorry, I'm not going to give out personal information

like that through social media:  What car could I afford?

Everyone should think twice before answering such

a question publicly.

Not about spending power, or money in the bank. A VW Beatle could be an answer. 

• Like 4

I will list a couple, as I think it is an interesting question, not so much how much car in my mind but what have you maybe passed on and why.  Kind of like "never meet your heros as you may be dissapointed" or just interesting.  I see how it differs from "I would love a Stutz Bearcat or Model J".  Both of those are in my top five and out of reach.

Not sure if I will get any of these at this point, as even though I am pushing 60 feeling more like 40 time is what it is and someday becomes now or never for more things... 

No particular order but these all fit in the I could, might do this.  They would be ready in relative terms or at least not heavy projects.

65, 66 Mustang - super clean and unmolested trumps GT although a V8 is peferable I think David Coco is on to something in that the 6 cylinder cars tend to be less beat up.  Don't care about relative rarity, I just like them and am surprised at myself for not owning one after all these years.

MG T series. I know from my TR LBC tours are fun.  Always wanted one.

55 - 57 Tbird. Off and on the list for years.

Lincoln Continental 61 - 63. Love the design.

An entry Full Classic Lumping in a few cars here but 60 Special is close to top of the list.  CCCA events seem fun from a distance. I still have my doubts about inclusion though, kind of like showing up to a biker run on a sportster.  Are you really in?

57 Chevy, kind of a cheat having had a 56, but still on want list.  I like the 49 -52 models a lot as well.

Buick Roadmaster, to 48.  Just seems like a great tour car if one isn't interested in a Full Classic.

Likely others.  Ask me in a week but these keep coming around.

The biggest barrier is what to let go.  If the MB gets passed down early that frees up a space. 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

The decision then is "what do I like for the fact that the car is what it is", rather than "this is the car that will impress the heck out of my peers on the show circuit".  Right?

I've always liked Corvairs, the second generation.  I like Mustangs and I think a 6-cylinder base model would be a lot of fun and easier to maintain than a fully loaded, big block 8-cylinder.  I think an early 50's Chevy would be fun, basic, but I could be a successful mechanic in that car.  I like the 59 Buick and the 57 Cadillac; probably too pricy now.  I'd like to get a car like the one dad had when I was an infant; a 1950 Mercury woody.  He always claimed it was the worst car he ever owned because the car knew where the county line was and would always break down at that point.  I also think the early 60's Ford station wagons were cool.  So no, none of these would light fires in any show circuit, but they would be well within my mechanical ability to maintain and I would have a blast driving them.  OH; I forgot about a Model T...

• Like 2

I guess you are either a VW  person or not. { or German cars of any sort for that matter }. I have driven pretty much every reasonably common , post war British car at one time or another. And enjoyed every one except the F.W.D. BMC's, Mini , Austin1100, Land Crab , etc. I have never even had a ride in a VW, let alone driven one. And never even slightly tempted to buy one.

Hard to imagine MG and VW in the same sentence.

Steve, I loved my 66 Mustang fastback that was my High School  wheels. Easy to afford back in the mid 1970's, today not a chance. Inflation, downward mobility sucks !

A nice 28 or 29 Model A Tudor Sedan. Alas-adding the garage space for it would cost a lot more than the car! 

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 1912Staver said:

I guess you are either a VW  person or not. { or German cars of any sort for that matter }. I have driven pretty much every reasonably common , post war British car at one time or another. And enjoyed every one except the F.W.D. BMC's, Mini , Austin1100, Land Crab , etc. I have never even had a ride in a VW, let alone driven one. And never even slightly tempted to buy one.

I was just thinking about how many MG's we've squeezed in!

Terry

2 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

That is why this is a cool thread.  We all bring different perspectives and have different interests.  It's fun to see what trips one's trigger.

• Like 2

Over a lifetime the most comical antics I have seen have been old cars guys trying to avoid talking about money. They will hem and haw, avoid, distort, and if pressured they will mumble unintelligibly to avoid a figure. Back in my preteen days I first heard "The first one to mention money loses". It has been the source of many chuckles ever since.  They do it so often, very predictable.

Oh, I was 30 years old and bought my very satisfying all time favorite 44 years ago. I can't remember if I paid $1900 or $2100.

0033.jpg.1306de9b21978dd8d3a9c7ddb7c29dbe.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Lots of pre war cars I like. But none of the ones I like are affordable in my current circumstance. Even more garage intensive than a tiny little Morgan so a double whammy on the affordability front. A $40,000 - $50,000 late teens / early 20's  Marmon sport touring plus a $60,000 ++ garage is simply not in the cards. I just got rid of 2 Model A's last summer, they are not my thing anymore. The Model A's lived in a lean to shed, not quite the place to keep something even 1/2 ways decent.

Interesting topic Xander.

It's funny how many times the early Mustang pops up.

There was never a shortage of them and they've usually been very affordable.   I too wanted a '66.   I could usually afford to buy one but my problem was that it had to be a particular one, ...or none.

My mother had bought a '66 Mustang new from Harris Ford in Lynnwood, Washington.  Nothing too fancy, notchback coupe, Black on Red, 289 automatic and I kind of grew up with this car for approximately 10 years.  When I was still too young to have a driver's licence but old enough to actually drive, I would pull the car out of the garage and onto the lawn and wash it every week without fail.  Every 3,000 miles it was in for an oil change and service, the car had a very good life.  I sat in that car, parked in the garage or driveway, for countless hours as a kid, just playing and dreaming.  It was my first "real" car experience in the natural progression from Matchbox toys to building plastic models, to car magazines, etc.   Decades later and I can still vividly recall every detail of that car.  The sound the glove door made when it closed, or the trunk, the turn signal lever, the radio knobs, every nut and bolt under the hood (many of which I didn't understand but asked and, and so learned on that basic platform).  Every curve of the body panels, every piece of trim, every spoke of the wire wheel hub caps my hands swiped over every week with a sense of pride in the part I took in maintaining this great little car.  It is as clear in my head this minute as when I was a kid.

I knew it would one day be mine.

Well, 16 years old finally arrives and I've had a couple of cars, nothing special but I kept them clean and in good working order.  Then 17 arrives and my mother decides it's time to sell her Mustang and would I like to have it?  Of course I say Yes!  But as things go, and for whatever reason, my mom rethinks things and decides to offer the car to my older sister first.  Of course she ends up with it.  I knew how things would go.  The car's life became less than stellar after the change in ownership.  My sister neglected the car, it was left outdoors, her boyfriends would use it and beat the hell out of it.   It lost hubcaps and acquired dings and dents.  A year or so later my mom saw her former car and was just heartbroken to see its condition.  I remember her looking at me and saying "Greg, I made a mistake, you should have had that car."

Anyway, I grew up, moved away, the sister finally sold the car and it faded into history.  Several years later, I decided too see f I could track the car down, I would have purchased it in any condition just to get it back.  I ran ads, called Mustang clubs, offered "finder's rewards" the search went on for decades (and still does) but I was never able to locate the car again.   My wife thinks I'm a little nutty about this and has asked "Why don't you just buy another one like it and get it out of your system?   

Well, I'm sure every single guy here knows the answer to that question.   

Cheers, Greg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

CCCA events seem fun from a distance. I still have my doubts about inclusion though, kind of like showing up to a biker run on a sportster.  Are you really in?

The cost for CCCA events ( national level ) is over the top for most people. I think there are quite a few CCCA members that would like their kids along for one of the tours, or the grandparents would like to have their grand kids along to share the experience, see the cars in motion not on static display, talk to the owners and the owners can then see how respectful younger kids can be and welcome them . Has not happened, if you don't encourage the appreciation in younger kids- - - these are your future car owners /club members. You are not baby sitting other peoples kids, they already know the cars and respect them due to the people who brought them on a tour. An example of the "fun" has to be set and encouraged , but it is not it is stagnant. Very sad indeed.

Yes, I was a CCCA member for 45 years, contributed to their publications often for over 3 decades, was on their national board , until my health took a deep dive 4 1/2 years ago and CCCA asked me to resign .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I guess it makes a person think, why have I not bought one. A 64 Mercury Marauder is another one.

100% 

@Walt G exactly.  So if We eliminate CCCA eligibility from the list, a 30s, 40s car for tours and events includes quite a few cars.  I called out the Roadmaster as they have kind of bubbled to the top of the list.  

My 66 was already a bit scruffy when I bought it in 1975, but $650.00 for a running , driving V8 Fastback was very cheap even back in the day. Unfortunately a C code auto, but at that price I didn't have many other options. Weekend jobs didn't put much in a 16 year old's pocket back in the 1970's. The MGB I replaced it with was much more money , over $1100.00 with tax. I still wonder how I afforded that one . But I was 18 by then and working more hours. The MGB also saved quite a bit on gas costs. Every little bit helped both then and even more so now.

Ha Ha! Yes Staver, it's funny to recall the values back then.  Just about the same era as you, my girlfriend tells me one day that the neighbors she babysits for want to sell their 1966 Mustang.  She says "you're a car nut, go look at it."  So I do and it's a one owner fastback, orange with a saddle interior, full console, 289 automatic and it's in exceptional condition.  All for $600.  I walked away because I felt it was just too much money for the car at that time!  They were everywhere for $500 or less in 1975.

Here in Canada the average was closer to $1000.00. Supply and demand. A good friend went whole hog and paid $1200.00 for a 65 ,GT fastback ,4 speed. A code. He still owns it all these years later. Upgraded to a full K code powertrain about 25 years ago. A very rusty K coupe gave up its mechanicals. The coupe became a race car with much higher than K spec parts. We don't waste anything up here in the frozen North. 

• Haha 1

Prewar?  Big Classic? Its not just the CARS but also the other stuff. 

A while back I stepped up to a 29 Cadillac and a 26 Lincoln because i wanted to learn about big prewar cars. (STEEP learning curve BTW) OK, they now "run and drive" BUT . . . . . 

I am in Los Angeles California area and driving them anywhere in this 100% urban environment is not the pleasure of a country road. So, I need to take them away from the city to really enjoy them. National tour? They always seem to be east of the Rockies. (The Henry Ford Old Car festival would be fun) But to do so will require an enclosed trailer and a truck to pull it, because you are not going to casually drive one of these ancient cars thousands of miles. 

The $30,000 to $50,000 purchase price for a big Classic suddenly becomes cheap when I start thinking about needing another $30,000 to $50,000 to properly move one of the cars to a meet or tour. 

So, for now they just sit in the garage and I take them around the block periodically. 

• Like 1

Steve, there are Buick Roadmasters that are full CCCA classics . I was on their classification committee when that was decided it was valid to recognize those cars. A 1936-1941 Roadmaster with an enclosed body style is not terribly expensive and will also share many body panels and components with the Cadillac series 62 which has been a full classic for decades. That 320 cu in OHV Buick engine has more then enough power! I have a 1940 Roadmaster and it is a rocket ship on a smooth highway. Their heaters work very well also ( will melt the knobs on the dashboard and the steering wheel rim if you leave it on full blast) 🙃

Walt

• Like 2

At the risk of setting myself up for a $30 grand ransom, I would love an old MGTC but can’t fit in it so that’s out. I’ve had MGBGT’s and a 62 T-Bird also a 60 Chevy convertible and an old pickup. I guess a prewar coupe in the Plymouth or Dodge line. 

If I disappear from the forum tell my wife what’s left of this old body isn’t worth the thirty grand. Have a great party instead and invite as many of you that could come. 
dave s 

• Haha 2

I would love to have and could afford a Bug Eyed Sprite but can't force myself to buy one because the pain in my legs from crashing my old one in 1967 constantly reminds me of the danger of driving a rudimentary British sports car on American roads.

I needed a logon password in 1974 when my job became tied to a computer. That first password was 60S0 and I always wanted to change it to 60S1. 1938 Cadillac 60 Special. It is a car of the past I have always wanted. And an iconic style leader like the car of my present at the time I purchased it.

I think about the Buick and Cadillac models from 1938 to 1940 frequently these days. Imagine, a nominal 130 inch wheelbase, 8 cylinders in the mid-300 C. I. range, nudging 6 feet in height with a commanding view of the road ahead as you sit on soft leather, and a big wheel to fill the wheel wells.

What brought those thoughts back to mind was the 15 year old Chevy Avalanche I bought a year ago. 130 inch wheelbase, V8, 6 feet tall, trimmed in leather. It sure fits the specification. If the hood was just a few inches longer and pointy.

The hobby is so adaptable for those who will adapt. A local Buick Club member and I took it out to lunch yesterday and it was just as much a treat as an old car.

MY wish list.

1932 Pontiac coupe V-8, 1933 Pontiac I-8 Coupe, 1940 Torpedo coupe 8, 1941 Pontiac Cosmopolitan 8, 1950 Pontiac Catalina Eight, 1955 Pontiac 870 Catalina, another 1959 Pontiac Catalina hardtop coupe, 1961 Ventura hardtop coupe, 1961 Pontiac Tempest Coupe, 1963 Pontiac Tempest Coupe with 336V-8, 1964 Pontiac GTO, 1967 Firebird 400, 1970 Trans Am.

1943-4 Type 111 VW beetle, 1951 deluxe crotch cooler Beetle, Any early 50's VW/Rometsch drop top, 1950 VW/Hebmuller, 1971 Karmann Ghia, 1971 VW Super Beetle Auto Stick, 1971 VW SP2, 1972 Type 2 Pick up, 1972 Westy, 1974 VW Rabbit, 1976 diesel Rabbit.

1932 Chevrolet coupe, 1934 Chevrolet standard, 1939 Master Deluxe coupe, 1940 Special Deluxe coupe, 1941 Special Deluxe coupe, 1950 Chevrolet Bel Air automatic, 1963 Chevrolet Nova 4 dr. sed. with 194" 4 cylinder, 1964 Corvair Monza coupe, 1965 Corvair Monza Coupe, 1965 Chevelle Z11, 1965 El Camino, 1965 327 Corvette.

1930 series 46 Buick coupe, 1940 Buick Roadmaster coupe, 1942 Roadmaster Sedanet, 1954 Roadmaster Riviera & 1955, 1963 Riviera, 1966 Riviera, 1973 Riviera, 1965 Grand Sport hardtop coupe.

1931 V-12 370 Any, or V-16 any. 1948 Cadillac Club Coupe, 1949 Coupe deVille, 1957 Coupe de Ville, 1977 Cadillac Seville, 1979 El Dorado, 1979 Coupe deVille.

1932 Oldsmobile Club Coupe, 1948 Olds Club coupe, 1950 Olds 88 Holiday coupe, 1954 Olds Starfire, 1955 Olds 98 Holiday Coupe, 1964&5 Olds Holiday 442 coupes, 1966 Olds Toronado.

Porsche 1964 356, 1965 911, 1967 912.

RUF CTR, CTR2

Morgan- 1952 Flat radiator+4, 1964 or 5 Plus 4.

Morris- 1936 Morris 8 open sports tourer  

Sunbeam 65 Alpine and Tiger

NISSAN/DATSUN/INFINITI---1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster, 1970 Datsun 240Z, 1973 Datsun 510 coupe, 1973 Datsun 610 coupe, 1974 Datsun 710 coupe. 1973 Datsun 620 Pick up, 1979 620 P/U King cab.

NISSAN- 1972 NISSAN President, 2002 NISSAN 350 Z

INFINITI - 1989 Q45, M30coupe, 2004 G35 coupe

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

A more interesting question might be not what but why not........Bob

Agree.

2 I left off were Lincoln Continental 40 - 48 or Jaguar E-type v12 coupe. (I would consider a 6)

They are both concerning in terms of mechanics.  But mainly, for me, it's about space and do I want it enough to displace another car.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Question is, what car can you afford to purchase. That you have always liked, or wanted to own. But for what ever reason, you have never bought one.

I could afford to buy cars more expensive than what I have (or spend more on refurbishment) and my wife would even go along with it, but I retired early, so I can't justify it, economically or morally.  As much as I love American cars from the 1950's, I seem to have gravitated more to cars from the 1960's. I suppose that's because they're a bit more usable in today's traffic, especially on the highway, which is where I really like to drive. I like the looks of most American cars from the '60's. Also, stylish and powerful cars from the 1960's, while never inexpensive, can be much more affordable than cars from the '50's of equivalent power (or speed potential.) Muscle cars are the opposite of that trend, of course...I genuinely can't afford those kind of cars...and I'm not really drawn to them anymore, anyway (though I love the memories of them.)

Most of the cars I'd like and could afford (but won't buy) are cars that were surprisingly affordable (undervalued, really) not that long ago...or at least they seem that way now compared to their current valuations. That's a big part of what made them appealing to me in the first place. The mid-'60's Riviera that 60 Flat top mentioned is one of them. One of the most beautiful cars of the '60's, especially the iconic '65 model. I think all of the personal luxury cars are great...which is why I have a '65 Thunderbird. The post-65 Rivieras are very cool, too, along with Toronados, '67-'70 Eldorados, Studebaker GT Hawk and Mark III Lincoln Continentals (and '72 Mark IV.) I'd like to have one of each. 

At the top of the list, however, is a Studebaker Avanti. In my mind, it's kind of a cross between a personal luxury car and a pony car...incredibly stylish and sporty, but still something a '63 year old man wouldn't look silly in. I was amazed at how affordable presentable examples of these rare and iconic cars seemed to be 9 or 10 years ago. I might not be able to afford one today, though. Another possible Studebaker on the list would be the beautiful '53-'54 "Loewy coupe," but I hear stories about build quality and underpowered engines that might keep them from being enjoyed on the highway. For this reason, I think it might be cool to find one of these cars that had been modified back in the day with a Cadillac engine of the same era (which weighed the same as the Stude v-8.) These were called "Studillacs," and a good example could be on my list, but it might also be more than I can afford.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

A VW Beetle was the answer 33 yeaes ago,  A great little car, but no ponger cheap to buy or restore.   I did a new interior, headliner and all window rubbers 3 years ago, just before my knee replacements, now I can't drive it.    Maybe I ahould work a trade with Terry B for a 1914 Model T..

I;ve had 10 VWs in my life. from 57's to 1972.    Great Bucket List Car for anyone with good knees.

FallColor.jpg.110668fbe5ff2f73c0003da08c7f1a29.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

But mainly, for me, it's about space and do I want it enough to displace another car.

Bingo, finding a car and having the money to buy it are no big deal. It's the space. Sit back, hold out your fingers, and count the number of people you know with extra space.

• Like 1

I have never owned a Corvette.

And for fun I peruse them on the web from time to time.

Had a few friends that had them,

but I think I could count on one hand all the Vette guys that I actually like.

So, I also look at Corvairs, I know, apples to tangerines, but I think I like tangerines better.

Neither would compare to a big ol Imperial though.

• Like 4